Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Original_Z posted:

Be aware that the devs are the guys who used the money from the project Phoenix Kickstarter to make this game instead.

Gross. gently caress 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm not very good at Monster Hunter, but I generally can get a decent grasp at a monster's deal pretty quick. Like that Monster Energy dragon. It has a lot of attacks with huge hit boxes in front of it, but only a couple narrow attacks to behind it. So stay behind it but not directly behind it, got it.

But that loving pinecone dragon. It just does whatever

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Astalos has a lot of cool dramatic looking moves but he doesn't get really dangerous until G-rank where all the best armor has like ten billion negative lightning resist and a hyper one smashes in your brain if you get caught. Valor also kind of poops on most of his stuff since he telegraphs most of his moves. It's also pretty important to carry around flash bombs for flying monsters since flashing poo poo out of the air is a guaranteed couple seconds to beat it up. Moment one takes off and looks like it's going to stay up, flash near the face and boom.

Deviant Astalos however, HOOH BOY. Did Ex one time and that was more than enough for me, thank you.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey that new Jake Hunter: Detective Story game for PC/PS4/Switch is coming overseas, given that the credits for the currently Japanese-only release has an "English Localization" segment.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
That great news but in the future please do not refer to Daedalus: The Awakening of Golden Jazz without using the full title.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Imagined posted:

My 6 year old got the Labo robot pack for Xmas tonight and we spent about 90 minutes putting it together. It's definitely not intended for 35 year old men but for the target market of little kids it's pretty brilliant. The whole package was super slick and easy to follow, and he loved it.

I think Nintendo fans need to accept the fact that just because a Nintendo game doesn't appeal to grown-rear end men doesn't mean it's a failure.

I’ve seen a lot of complaints mention that kids are into putting everything together but couldn’t give less of a poo poo about the game past that; same as the adults. People calling it a failure are probably referring to the fact that Nintendo didn’t hype it up after release and kits were heavily discounted pretty quickly.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 25, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

90 minutes to put together the robot kit? That's impressive.

The vehicle kit is by far the best though. The builds are the funnest and most interesting, the actual have and adventure mode that come with it are the best of the three as well

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

90 minutes to put together the robot kit? That's impressive.

The vehicle kit is by far the best though. The builds are the funnest and most interesting, the actual have and adventure mode that come with it are the best of the three as well

I did the first 4 parts straight through, nonstop, then my wife swapped in for the last 4 parts while I took a break. Boy-child 'helped' by reading the onscreen instructions. The slowest part is waiting for the onscreen instructions, but you can fast forward it because a lot of the parts are identical to each other or have a very obvious logic to them.

I don't understand why there isn't just one $59.99 thing with all the games on it and then a bunch $15 cardboard addons. Because the vehicle kit looks cool but lol at $59.99 again.

I do bet you that grabbing all the packs and sitting on them unopened for about 10 years would be a good investment, because insane collectors are going to have a hard time getting a complete set of those games from anyone who didn't do that. "Here's some cardboard a 7 year old played with for six months 10 years ago". And Nintendo's failed hardware/gimmicks tend to be the most collectable even if they're not good games, look at Virtual Boy.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 25, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Original_Z posted:

Be aware that the devs are the guys who used the money from the project Phoenix Kickstarter to make this game instead.

So tiny metal was a mess of a game, but this was never substantiated and I'm pretty sure the rumor starter ended up getting sued for a number of things since they were an ex employee of some sort.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Mario vs Rabbids day 2.

WHY THE gently caress DO YOU CARTOONY LITTLE SHITS NOT KNOW WHAT OVERWATCH IS?

Other than that, games good, mobility attacks make up for some of the limited attack options. The overworld stuff is a a bit jarring sometimes.

For the price I’m enjoying it - if you’re looking for xcom:princess peach it’s not bad at all.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Play xcom:Luigi and you'll get overwatch galore

Barudak
May 7, 2007

squirrelzipper posted:

Mario vs Rabbids day 2.

Other than that, games good, mobility attacks make up for some of the limited attack options. The overworld stuff is a a bit jarring sometimes.

For the price I’m enjoying it - if you’re looking for xcom:princess peach it’s not bad at all.

Luigi is your overwatch character. Mario also has an overwatch ability, but his bro's is significantly better.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The black eye of Luigi sees all and forgives none

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My wife got me the Satisfye grip, it really is amazing. Handheld mode feels almost as good as pro controller.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I supposed to just keep eating food items in BOTW trying to get to that first snow shrine or am I missing something

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That, warm clothes or a cold resistance meal

Old dork has a log cabin in a forested area near one of the shrines, book in there talks about these options

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Am I supposed to just keep eating food items in BOTW trying to get to that first snow shrine or am I missing something

if you need to keep warm there's a bunch of different things you can do. explore the rest of the island looking for a way to get clothes, carry a torch, eat warm food, etc. and all of them are valid ways to solve that issue.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Empress Brosephine posted:

At the gate to the snowy area (somewhere around the old dork's house i think) there's also bushes with spicy peppers left and right. Pick them, throw 5 into a pot, and you get food that heats you for 15 minutes or so.
The trek to the shrine takes like 5 minutes.

Cook some more peppers if you want to explore more, or try to find a fish somewhere to cook the meal the old dork wants to get cold res equipment.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

squirrelzipper posted:

Mario vs Rabbids day 2.

Xcom 2 wanted faster paced more riskier gameplay. So they did...map timers.

Rabbids did the touch attacks and made overwatch a character skill and not every round at that. Accomplishing the same goal in an actually fun and inventive way.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Dead Cells rules. Feels like it was made for the Switch. So many games I find offputting because I don't want to be chained to a computer or console, so many games I find offputting because I don't want to be stuck on a handheld. Love this console, already my favourite piece of gaming hardware ever. Long live the Switch, please keep bringing these cool games to it at comparatively outrageous prices.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My wife got me the Satisfye grip, it really is amazing. Handheld mode feels almost as good as pro controller.

Gooble gobble, gooble gobble

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The timers in XCOM 2 are fine actually

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

a7m2 posted:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In any given mission they are manageable and tense but across the whole game its tiring

content
Feb 13, 2014

Got pretty excited to see an email that said I had a 30% off coupon from my birthday this month. Significantly less excited to see it was off 15 select 3DS and Wii U games. :toot:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

a7m2 posted:

They’re not, actually. They’re ok in some missions but all missions having it is dumb

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I can see Diddy for DeeJay as they both have two syllable names starting with D that, as another poster said, probably sound similar in Japanese and is the closest thing to a Capoeira user with the cartwheels, kick attacks, and agility over power. I'm black and used to raising the eyebrow at least once every 3 days or so, but I can give this a pass.

Is Starlink worth buying? I enjoy No Man's Sky and procedural generation games so No Man's Lylat War sounds like a good time.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 25, 2018

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Xcom 2 wanted faster paced more riskier gameplay. So they did...map timers.

Rabbids did the touch attacks and made overwatch a character skill and not every round at that. Accomplishing the same goal in an actually fun and inventive way.

Yeah I’ve got Luigi overwatching, it’s all good. I didn’t mind the timers but I don’t miss them either, enjoying Xcom: cuddle edition.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Original_Z posted:

No, they didn’t, and the guy who accused them of doing so was a former employee who was fired for sexual harassment and court-ordered to make a public retraction and apology after he was discovered to be full of poo poo.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
“Oh my god! Oh my god! Santa got me a Switch!”

My 7 year old was very happy this morning. Thanks for answering all my questions earlier. I also decided to return the two cart games we got and just replace them with fully digital. Not having to worry about where small Carts (the size of standard SD cards) are is worth paying a little premium here and there. Also helps I had a 128gb MicroSD sitting around with nothing to use it on.

She’s super excited about getting to play 2K19 later and hey that was the same digital as physical.

For the second controller do people suggest another joycon or going with a pro controller?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Depends on what you're doing.

A second pair of joycons makes four player possible and you can rotate out for charging. I'd recommend picking up a charging grip as well though.

The pro controller is more comfortable for longer sessions and has a lot longer battery (not that the joycons are terrible at all)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

For the second controller do people suggest another joycon or going with a pro controller?
I'd say definitely Pro unless you specifically want the ability to split the Joy-Cons to have four controllers for multiplayer (in games that support that).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mokinokaro posted:

A second pair of joycons makes four player possible and you can rotate out for charging. I'd recommend picking up a charging grip as well though.

The pro controller is more comfortable for longer sessions and has a lot longer battery (not that the joycons are terrible at all)

It’s really just to be able to play second player on certain games with them. I know the joycon can double as one, but I thought you really need a second joycon for really 2 player play.

Although oddly the 2K19 manual seems to suggest two people can play by each using a half of the joycon.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m watching my 5 year old nephew play with the Robot LABO he got for Christmas and it is so awesome.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

The pro controller battery is harnessing some sort of dark magic

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It’s really just to be able to play second player on certain games with them. I know the joycon can double as one, but I thought you really need a second joycon for really 2 player play.

Although oddly the 2K19 manual seems to suggest two people can play by each using a half of the joycon.

The sports games(fifa) all have a simplified control scheme for the single joycon controls. Your best bet is another set of joycons and then a pro controller just for utility sake. Some games don't recognize the pro.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I didn't even realise you could split the joycon in half and use it for 2 people, the controllers are tiny but its the cutest thing

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

L

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Every multiplayer game on the system is designed to use single joy cons for multiplayer, you're good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Most MP games have that option (in fact Mario Party can only use the smaller controller option)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I did it. I got a switch. I can now smash a bro.