Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Tricky D posted:

Who says the twenty-first of December, two-thousand eighteen;

Some languages don't have the "of" to deal with in that structure, which makes it a lot less awkward to say. Plenty of the Brits and Irish I work with say it that way too, dropping the "of."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Yeah but we're talking about why Americans abbreviate it that way. Context is important.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tricky D posted:

Yeah but we're talking about why Americans abbreviate it that way. Context is important.

Uh, what? You're claiming that Americans write dates that way because that's how it's spoken, and everyone else is trying to tell you that you speak dates that way because that's how you were taught to write them.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

there are linguists standing in corners screaming because of this derail

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Turns out all the dates in Moby Dick are written in day month format so I surrender.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

goatsestretchgoals posted:

You misspelled YYYY-MON-DD :colbert:

I too love having spreadsheet rows sort from April to September

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Use numbers, you loving liability.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

5er posted:

Use numbers, you loving liability.

MM mean 12 MON means Dec

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
i once saw someone break a (software) build line because they accidentally started stamping builds with short month. they made the code change in May so nobody noticed the problem for weeks

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If you're using dates for any kind of analysis, number crunching or programming use ANSIDATE format. yyyymmdd

Everything else like emails or whatever, just use what everyone else does in your locale.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

lol if you posted:

i once saw someone break a (software) build line because they accidentally started stamping builds with short month. they made the code change in May so nobody noticed the problem for weeks

We've managed to avoid that by having everyone do everything in full ISO format, we just have a delightful thing where some of our DBs are in PST/PDT and some are in UTC so you have to perpetually keep in mind what a "timestamp" means depending on which one you're interacting with

did I mention they're all stored timezone-naive :shepicide:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
All dates in this format or you are going to hell:

The 25th day of our Lord of the 12th month of our Lord of the year of our Lord two thousand eighteen.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Yes but now let's discuss 12 vs 24 hour time.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i prefer metric decimal time

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

We've managed to avoid that by having everyone do everything in full ISO format, we just have a delightful thing where some of our DBs are in PST/PDT and some are in UTC so you have to perpetually keep in mind what a "timestamp" means depending on which one you're interacting with

did I mention they're all stored timezone-naive :shepicide:

can put humans into space and we still can't do timezone poo poo correctly grumble i says. don't even get me started on hyderabad with their freaky half-hour zones

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

just use metric decimal time

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I’m sorry, the correct answer was Swatch Internet Time.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good god bring back long long man or anything other than this date format talk. This thread is going to end up shoe less.

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 25, 2018

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

I’m sorry, the correct answer was Swatch Internet Time.

https://www.whattimeisitrightnow.com/

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Just throw the whole arbitrary thing in a bin. Praise the sun while it's up, sleep when it's not.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:drat:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Free Market Mambo posted:

They own Al-Qaeda?
You jest but it's not Osama who's the deadliest Bin Laden clan member both overall and in a single event. That dubious honour goes to Bakr Bin Laden, his half brother. Bakr is the chairman of the Saudi Binladin Group, a construction conglomerate responsible for the bridge and road network in Mecca that keeps funneling pilgrims into deadly human crushes during Hajj.

Osama's terror attacks killed 2996, of which 1402 in the WTC North Tower.
Bakr's crummy infrastructure killed at least 3465 in major incidents alone, of which 2431 on the Street-204 intersection.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Good god bring back long long man or anything other than this date format talk. This thread is going to end up shoe less.

If Longlong Man left you, it’s your own fault :colbert:

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

oohhboy posted:

bring back long long man

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

oohhboy posted:

bring back long long man

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
OSHA please, no t stupid date formats.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

oohhboy posted:

would you say this is a long long derail?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

e: double post for some reason

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Date standards are under the purview of ISO and don't belong in this thread

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shifty Nipples posted:

Posting is loving wonky all over since the forums came back after being down for a while this AM

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Burt Sexual posted:

OSHA please, no t stupid date formats.
Didn't some NASA stuff crash because of stupid date formats?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Splicer posted:

Didn't some NASA stuff crash because of stupid date formats?

No, it was discrepancies between attitude control system that used imperial units and navigation software that used metric.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Shifty Nipples posted:

A long long post?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Proteus Jones posted:

Posting is loving wonky all over since the forums came back after being down for a while this AM

Do you think old threads are going spooky again?

:ohno:

E: I blame the use of incorrect date formats. :argh: Radium! :argh:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 25, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Schadenboner posted:

Do you think old threads are going spooky again?

:ohno:

E: I blame the use of incorrect date formats. :argh: Radium! :argh:
yeah it's confused dec 25 for oct 31

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Splicer posted:

yeah it's confused dec 25 for oct 31

Are you saying all our base are belong to Radium?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

jobson groeth posted:

Are you saying all our base are belong to Radium?

:vince:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

quote:

Police said engineers had informed them the building had moved 1-2mm but it was unclear whether further movement had occurred or would potentially occur.

Given that tall buildings move more than this when the wind blows, this has gotta be a garbled explanation.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
weirdly i think i read that it actually moved _up_ those 1-2mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Phanatic posted:

Given that tall buildings move more than this when the wind blows, this has gotta be a garbled explanation.

Theres a difference between swaying in the wind and a permanent shift in the structure.