Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Had a late night drop in tonight - fun skate but holy poo poo was the other team ever stacked.

One of the guys that works at the rink was playing wing for us, about mid-way through the third he goes, "Anybody wanna go another period?" Everybody stayed and we all died, but it was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

A guy on my team who wears no facial protection took a puck off the bridge of the nose the other night. Even a visor would've prevented it. Protect your face people

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

shyduck posted:

A guy on my team who wears no facial protection took a puck off the bridge of the nose the other night. Even a visor would've prevented it. Protect your face people

A teammate got one of those cage/visor combos and popped out the visor portion. Says it's a good compromise.

In other news, the Make-A-Wish game for the lower league goalie was a success, with me getting the GWG.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Bootcha posted:

A teammate got one of those cage/visor combos and popped out the visor portion. Says it's a good compromise.

In other news, the Make-A-Wish game for the lower league goalie was a success, with me getting the GWG.

I'd rather take a puck in the mouth than in the eyes, myself. I mean, play how you want, but I'm 48 and no longer immortal, so I happily strap on the cage.

Speaking of cages, I went from the fish bowl to a cage and had no trouble making the switch. But I'd read where people just couldn't handle seeing the bars, I guess? Now I wish I'd gone with the cage to start with - no loving fogging and getting scratched up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I used a visor for like 6 games and said gently caress that after having it fog up after every shift. No thanks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you keep moving it won't fog.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Should I do laps between shifts?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Maybe use one of those Japanese hand fans.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

a mysterious cloak posted:

Maybe use one of those Japanese hand fans.

I've legit considered bringing a battery powered fan to the bench during the summer when the humidity is LOL%

Everyone would laugh at me until that breeze hit them.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I've legit considered bringing a battery powered fan to the bench during the summer when the humidity is LOL%

Everyone would laugh at me until that breeze hit them.

Farts waft where they will.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Pledge and an microfiber cloth to wipe it off prevents fog on your visor. Just get a half decent visor with vents at the top as well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lol if you don’t just use a Tron

Then complain about it digging up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Bootcha posted:

Farts waft where they will.

Does your team also fart on your property as well ?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Farting on the bench is always hilarious.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
clean it with pledge and make sure it is separated enough from your helmet that air can get through

also some idiot on my own team ripped a slapshot straight into my back and cracked a rib. play drop ins at the right skill level, people

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

also some idiot on my own team ripped a slapshot straight into my back and cracked a rib. play drop ins at the right skill level, people

As in the higher end guy was taking slapshots at a lower skill group of folks who tend to only either fly wide or cluster around in front of the net? Or as in a lower end guy just trying to rip one in a feat of super effort into passing traffic of higher end guys trying to suddenly get out of the way?

There's a guy in one of our B2 (mid tier) leagues, a 6'5" 270 pound mid-life monstrosity who can wire a death beam to anyone in front of it, he just puts all his weight behind it and has the mechanics down pat. It's one of 4 guys in all the leagues I'm legit worried about as a goalie every time I see him wind up, either because it's either going high and wide, into another player, or between my eyes. I think 2 years ago he took a slapshot and hit one of our own dudes in the lower arm, and took a bloody chunk out of it. We had to take the big guy aside and tell him shots like that aren't going to fly in any league, and as impressive a shot as it is it's going to get more people hurt than be productive. I'd argue he, and people with that kind of shot, would hurt more people in the upper leagues due to a more lax view of protective gear (no shoulder pads, no visor/cage, headgear from three decades ago). Sure higher skilled players can sot a bad play coming up and try to get out of the way, but sometimes a beer league shot does not care.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

He doesn’t have the mechanics down pat if it’s always doing those things you mentioned

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

He doesn’t have the mechanics down pat if it’s always doing those things you mentioned

The mechanics of a hard shot, he's got. The mechanics of good hockey, not so much.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Played a 1 day 3 on 3 tourney on Saturday, super fun, super dead.

We finish second. Which meant we played 6 - 25 minute run time games. 7 skaters on our team.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.

xsf421 posted:

If anyone's interested, Verbero's Cypress sticks are 70% off right now, $60 after the discount code "save70stick".

https://www.verbero.com/collections/sticks/products/copy-of-cypress-hockey-stick-senior-grip

Finally played a game with mine and scored for the first time in like two years so good stick

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Farting on the bench is always hilarious.

Crop dust the opposing bench on a drive by between plays

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Finally felt confident enough to join my first real league instead of just doing Rat Hockey every week. Evaluation is in a couple weeks and the draft is a few days after that. It's a low-level league, so I'm hoping I'll be somewhere in the middle, skill-wise, which would be a welcome change from Rat Hockey where I'm clearly one of the worst 3 guys on the ice every time I play.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don’t be discouraged if you’re the worst on the ice. It won’t last forever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unless you're me.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Finally felt confident enough to join my first real league instead of just doing Rat Hockey every week. Evaluation is in a couple weeks and the draft is a few days after that. It's a low-level league, so I'm hoping I'll be somewhere in the middle, skill-wise, which would be a welcome change from Rat Hockey where I'm clearly one of the worst 3 guys on the ice every time I play.

Where at? I know coach Ken used to do learn to play leagues out of Johnnies (you're out of chicago (mcfetridge) if I remember correctly) and they were fun because it was a mix of skill where you run drills and scrimmage. Not exactly a league though. I haven't played in Chicago since the new MB arena was built so I'm not sure if its become easier to find a spot in a league or not. It used to be like a lottery ticket to find a team at Johnnies willing to take new guys. Thats when I started playing up north in Skokie and Heartland. Also a big reason I bought a car.

Good luck though. Rat hockey feels very different than league play. Rat hockey is pretty forgiving, you can float and leave your position without people caring as much as league play due to its casual nature. Positioning and defensive responsibilities matters a bit more. People seem to turn it up and try harder in league play. Things get more physical and tempers get higher. Once the games and goals start to "matter" people start taking it more serious. For me it also feels faster but I'm sure that varies by league.

Of all the sports I've played in my life, there's a reason at 34 I still continue to play hockey despite the high cost, waking up with nagging injuries on a daily basis, and tolerate driving to rinks 45 minutes away at 10:30 on a tuesday to deal with lovely refs and hot tempered assholes who can't skate. Its a lot of fun.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Romeoville AIL?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

and tolerate driving to rinks 45 minutes away at 10:30 on a tuesday to deal with lovely refs

oh my god shut the gently caress up Kuuuuuuuuuuuuth! :argh:

Even the score keeper was busting on him a couple weekends ago and trying to get him to pay attention and stop yammering about a non-call from like 3 minutes previous.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Verman posted:

Where at? I know coach Ken used to do learn to play leagues out of Johnnies (you're out of chicago (mcfetridge) if I remember correctly) and they were fun because it was a mix of skill where you run drills and scrimmage. Not exactly a league though. I haven't played in Chicago since the new MB arena was built so I'm not sure if its become easier to find a spot in a league or not. It used to be like a lottery ticket to find a team at Johnnies willing to take new guys. Thats when I started playing up north in Skokie and Heartland. Also a big reason I bought a car.

Good luck though. Rat hockey feels very different than league play. Rat hockey is pretty forgiving, you can float and leave your position without people caring as much as league play due to its casual nature. Positioning and defensive responsibilities matters a bit more. People seem to turn it up and try harder in league play. Things get more physical and tempers get higher. Once the games and goals start to "matter" people start taking it more serious. For me it also feels faster but I'm sure that varies by league.

Of all the sports I've played in my life, there's a reason at 34 I still continue to play hockey despite the high cost, waking up with nagging injuries on a daily basis, and tolerate driving to rinks 45 minutes away at 10:30 on a tuesday to deal with lovely refs and hot tempered assholes who can't skate. Its a lot of fun.

I normally do all my skating at McFetridge because it's 10 minutes from where I live, but I chose this league in Franklin Park because it's geared more towards novices like me. I know people here have posted that there's another novice league in Romeoville, but that's over an hour away and Franklin Park is just 30 minutes.

It's gonna be a big change from Rat Hockey. I've never played a game with refs, never taken a faceoff, nor have I ever done coordinated line changes. I know vaguely where I'm supposed to play based on my position, but not much more than that. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. :ohdear:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All I can suggest is don't try to be The Guy in your first several games. Stick to your position and try to remember your opponents are also rookies who are just as terrified of messing up. Since you've done a lot of rat hockey already you probably already have some feel for it, it's not going to be THAT much different other than the level of competition is going to go up.

If the program is good they'll tell you beforehand how to run faceoffs and line changes, it's pretty simple stuff.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

drizzle posted:

Finally played a game with mine and scored for the first time in like two years so good stick

I broke a long scoring drought the first game I played with mine as well.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I normally do all my skating at McFetridge because it's 10 minutes from where I live, but I chose this league in Franklin Park because it's geared more towards novices like me. I know people here have posted that there's another novice league in Romeoville, but that's over an hour away and Franklin Park is just 30 minutes.

It's gonna be a big change from Rat Hockey. I've never played a game with refs, never taken a faceoff, nor have I ever done coordinated line changes. I know vaguely where I'm supposed to play based on my position, but not much more than that. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. :ohdear:

You definitely won't be the worst there. I'd ask them to put you on the wing first instead of center or defense.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Have fun, don't suck!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bootcha posted:

Have fun, don't suck!

I intend to have fun AND suck :colbert:

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

This is the beer league spirit.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

You’re ready, kid

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Vargatron posted:

I'd ask them to put you on the wing first instead of center or defense.

I practically introduce myself to guys as a winger instead of my name.

Although I'm tempted to try defense every now and then. I've done a couple shifts on the blue line years ago, but never consistently to really get a feel for it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Because the team I'm on this season is nothing but defense, and I've always played defense, I've been playing wing for most of the games. I actually quite like it. It's also funny how no one in the league forechecks. I've been doing a ton of it and people just gently caress it up that I either get the puck or my line mate does.

Moral of the story is forecheck all day every day.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Nobody showed up for my 7pm skate last night, well 3 skaters and a goalie, so we hung around until the 8pm guys got there and they let us play with them. The goalie for us is also the 8pm goalie too so he is the one who told us to stay and see if there was room. Anyway this the the famed Red vs Blue skate. Age 35+ they count all the games, and keep score and the last game of the season is for The Chowder Cup. It was fun playing in what is essentially a pickup game but everybody is trying and at the same time not being dicks. Apparently red smoked blue last week like 16-3 and I was on blue and we got to beat up on the red team which all the regular guys were very happy about. It was something like 10-3. They also don't count games that "ringers" play in, as in under 35 so after I scored a second goal people kept asking to make sure I was 35 so that the game would count.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The rink is on a weird holiday schedule so only 6 people showed up for rat. 2 were goalies so we did 2v2 half ice. I am dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think I'm getting blackballed in my league. I've signed up for goalie the past 3 seasons to try and get back on a team but I keep getting told that there's no space. This is getting kind of frustrating because I check the rosters every time I register and confirm that there's space. It's supposed to be a first come, first serve registration process but returning goalies can apparently register at the last second and still bump people off the waiting list.

The rink I play at also has basically dropped all open ice scheduling in the evenings so I have no way of practicing outside of playing games, but I can't even get into a loving beginner league as a goalie. I guess I'll just drive 2 hours to Charlotte or downstate to practice. I have 4 months to prep for a draft tournament in the spring but I can't do it all in the gym.