Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ariong posted:

This is all excellent, but it’s kind of silly how Bruce Banner is ripped.

He spends the majority of his time hiking and not eating, he's not going to be jacked but he should be pretty lean and mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaz-L posted:

A She-Hulk book once established that if you're a Hulk, your Hulk form gets stronger in direct proportion to your own baseline strength, so Jen Walters started hitting the weights so She-Hulk would be more buff.

That was a fun story arc

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Overall yes, but also because of the rematch with the Champion where she takes off her jersey and he just looks in astonishment "Good lord, woman, what have you done to yourself!?" :eyepop:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Samuringa posted:

Overall yes, but also because of the rematch with the Champion where she takes off her jersey and he just looks in astonishment "Good lord, woman, what have you done to yourself!?" :eyepop:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mulva posted:

He spends the majority of his time hiking and not eating, he's not going to be jacked but he should be pretty lean and mean.

Kinda like Ed Norton.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

It looks like The Champion is the only being in the Marvel Universe that ages in real time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Samuringa posted:

Rematch? Only Ben Grimm earned the honour of a rematch with the Champion.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LashLightning posted:

It looks like The Champion is the only being in the Marvel Universe that ages in real time.

Lay off, buddy. The Champion has seen some poo poo.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It looks like she's done synthol muscle injections :barf:

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Infinitum posted:

It looks like she's done synthol muscle injections :barf:

Her curled bicep has the shape and size of a basketball and I cannot stop laughing about it. And holy crap, her face is making it so much worse.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LashLightning posted:

Also, I should point out that his face is hosed up because they pulled the Power Gem out of his head on the previous page to make the fight fair.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Jennifer's been eating her spinach

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Holy poo poo, we really are in a timewarp. Rhyno's brining up Ned in the movies thread and now nerds are talking poo poo about Juan Bobillo's art in She-Hulk (which was the bomb, y'all are blind and probably hated Henderson on Squirrel Girl too)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I can like the art while finding the synthol-injected bicep gross.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can tell the artist wanted to draw a sexy lady but the visual gag wouldn’t work without a beefy bicep so she just looks like a model and scott steiner did the fusion dance

Shoulda just used female weightlifters as reference imho

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Holy poo poo, we really are in a timewarp. Rhyno's brining up Ned in the movies thread and now nerds are talking poo poo about Juan Bobillo's art in She-Hulk (which was the bomb, y'all are blind and probably hated Henderson on Squirrel Girl too)

Henderson on Squirrel Girl was below average at best, downright bad at her worst, she did have some good ideas though(assuming she came up with them and wasn't just using Ryan North's ideas), such as Squirrel Girl's new costumes(which are much better than her old GLA costume), and giving her an unconventional yet fitting physique for a female superhero

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
We really are in a time warp if we're debating Henderson SG again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaz-L posted:

Due to ~sliding timescale~ this is now the first time

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Senju Kannon posted:

You can tell the artist wanted to draw a sexy lady but the visual gag wouldn’t work without a beefy bicep so she just looks like a model and scott steiner did the fusion dance

Shoulda just used female weightlifters as reference imho

Scott Steiner is a national treasure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

Due to ~sliding timescale~ this is now the first time

I swear we were trying to beat the commies originally....

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gaz-L posted:

Compare Erica Henderson's art to Joe Quinones drawing the same character in the crossover with Howard the Duck - it's night and day. I mean, look at this:

Quinones cover for Howard the Duck #6:

Tradd Moore cover for Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #5:

Erica Henderson cover for USG #1:

That isn't to say that Henderson cannot draw, or even that she can't draw Squirrel Girl. Her covers for the NYCC 2015 preview, the pixel art cover with Galactus from the first series, and USG #8 and #23 are all really good, and for some reason the style works on Old Lady Squirrel Girl. But it's only flashes, and they annoy me in the same way that I get annoyed by the occasional good panel Marc Hempel drew on his otherwise abysmal Sandman run.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Jedit posted:

Compare Erica Henderson's art to Joe Quinones drawing the same character in the crossover with Howard the Duck - it's night and day. I mean, look at this:

That isn't to say that Henderson cannot draw, or even that she can't draw Squirrel Girl. Her covers for the NYCC 2015 preview, the pixel art cover with Galactus from the first series, and USG #8 and #23 are all really good, and for some reason the style works on Old Lady Squirrel Girl. But it's only flashes, and they annoy me in the same way that I get annoyed by the occasional good panel Marc Hempel drew on his otherwise abysmal Sandman run.

The main problem with her art is that she is ridiculously inconsistent when it comes to drawing faces, although she has issues being consistent in other aspects of her art as well(like for example Doreen is supposed to have a female Powerlifter sort of physique, but that's rather hard to notice most of the time because Henderson rarely bothers to put any muscle definition on her, so she appears more chubby than anything much of the time*)

*which leads to her relatively unique physique for a female superhero to pretty much never get drawn that way by other artists, they pretty much all either give her a generic figure, or draw her as chubby

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 25, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

I mean to be honest what I'm getting here is that you don't like the more cartoony style. Hederson isn't going for realistic but her artwork tends to lend itself very well to the humor of the series. The first one in particular basically captures none of the character's personality.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I mean to be honest what I'm getting here is that you don't like the more cartoony style. Hederson isn't going for realistic but her artwork tends to lend itself very well to the humor of the series. The first one in particular basically captures none of the character's personality.

not speaking for him, but for myself, I love cartoony styles, but Henderson's art isn't very good at that either, again because of how ridiculously inconsistent she is at faces

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Quit trying to ruin Christmas. Squirrel Girl was perfect the way it was. That creative team synced up very well, and I lost interest after Henderson left, though I’m sure it’s still a good book.

Thanks for posting those covers though. I miss Howard the Duck.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

not speaking for him, but for myself, I love cartoony styles, but Henderson's art isn't very good at that either, again because of how ridiculously inconsistent she is at faces

I rarely think of "absolute consistency" as in my top 5 important things for cartoony drawings. I honestly don't know who does. If what you're priding is consistency that's fine but it doesn't make it bad to lack it if that isn't what it's going for.

(Also honestly knocking consistency in faces in loving superhero comics where half the time I need a costume to identify a character regardless of who is drawing them is bewildering to me.)'

Open Marriage Night posted:

Quit trying to ruin Christmas. Squirrel Girl was perfect the way it was. That creative team synced up very well, and I lost interest after Henderson left, though I’m sure it’s still a good book.

Yeah, honestly, this happened to me too. I should probably give it another shot but it didn't feel the same.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 25, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I rarely think of "absolute consistency" as in my top 5 important things for cartoony drawings. I honestly don't know who does. If what you're priding is consistency that's fine but it doesn't make it bad to lack it if that isn't what it's going for.

(Also honestly knocking consistency in faces in loving superhero comics where half the time I need a costume to identify a character regardless of who is drawing them is bewildering to me.)'

Yeah, honestly, this happened to me too. I should probably give it another shot but it didn't feel the same.

If we're being honest 99% of the artists at the big two are mediocre at best, it's one of the reasons I bemoan the death of the "house style" at both companies, cause most artists should not be allowed to use their own unique styles

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't feel like rehashing this debate for the umpteenth time but the only hot take I have is that I really dislike Henderson's new SG costume. The flying squirrel one was good for that two issues it was in, but that gray/white one just did not work for me one bit and I do not mourn its loss as it looks like every artist is reverting to her old suit

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 25, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The abstracted nature of the faces might make the inconsistencies more apparent?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I don't feel like rehashing this debate for the umpteenth time but the only hot take I have is that I really dislike Henderson's new SG costume. The flying squirrel one was good for that two issues it was in, but that gray/white one just did not work for me one bit and I do not mourn its loss as it looks like every artist is reverting to her old suit

Yeah the initial one Henderson did is definitely the best one, as it's a very distinct costume that fits Doreen very well, it kinda says something no one outside of USG has drawn Doreen in that other costume, and even her USAvengers costume was just a minor modification of her default costume

Like for all the other things I'll critique Henderson about, I will never deny that she's really good at costume design

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jedit posted:

You're telling me Henderson's art is bad and then show up with those two covers

Are we just like ignoring how bad those faces are lol

drrockso20 posted:

If we're being honest 99% of the artists at the big two are mediocre at best, it's one of the reasons I bemoan the death of the "house style" at both companies, cause most artists should not be allowed to use their own unique styles

I too think getting rid of artists like mike del mundo, Christian ward, jen bartel, jefte palo, Natacha Bustos, gurihiru, Takeshi Miyazawa, elsa charretier, Leinil Francis Yu, Leonardo Romero, and many others to go to a boring standard style is cool and not at all insane

site fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 25, 2018

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

The main problem with her art is that she is ridiculously inconsistent when it comes to drawing faces, although she has issues being consistent in other aspects of her art as well(like for example Doreen is supposed to have a female Powerlifter sort of physique, but that's rather hard to notice most of the time because Henderson rarely bothers to put any muscle definition on her, so she appears more chubby than anything much of the time*)

*which leads to her relatively unique physique for a female superhero to pretty much never get drawn that way by other artists, they pretty much all either give her a generic figure, or draw her as chubby

Uh, I actually never got 'powerlifter' as SG's physique. I got "is a size 10" or what you defined as 'chubby'. Which is also unique for women in comics, because most artists don't know how to draw anything except pin-up model.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

drrockso20 posted:

This take is absolutely wild to me. How would comic art ever evolve or move forward? Every "house style" I can think of-- I'm sure there are exceptions-- has its roots in what initially looked startling and unfamiliar. Even something as solidly ensconced and "classic" as the Dan DeCarlo "look" came onto the scene looking much different from how humor books were being drawn at the time, with a fresh injection of magazine illustration sensibility. Jack Kirby was great at cranking out workmanlike pages but his best work inarguably came about when he began to be able to chase his own idiosyncratic ideas about composition and energy. I'm sure a lot of editors over the decades have agreed with you but I can't even imagine how much poorer the art form would be.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, some of the worst comics ever drawn have been very talented artists chasing the house style or even just the prevailing trend. Look at the litany of good pencillers who tried to copy Liefeld and McFarlane in the mid 90s and turned out butt-ugly work that looks ten times worse that what they're imitating.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Not wanting comic books to have multiple different art styles is a Lurdiak-tier hot take

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not going to speak to the old USG art, but the new is leaving me cold. It feels like a robot was shown how to draw Archie comics and turned loose on it. Bizarrely this only seems to happen with the "normal" cast, Kraven, Brain Drain, Spider Man etc all looked fine to me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Uh, I actually never got 'powerlifter' as SG's physique. I got "is a size 10" or what you defined as 'chubby'. Which is also unique for women in comics, because most artists don't know how to draw anything except pin-up model.

As I said she's not very good at drawing it much of the time, it's most obvious during the Savage Land arc, I think I have a reference pic for this somewhere I'll try and dig it up

Archyduchess posted:

This take is absolutely wild to me. How would comic art ever evolve or move forward? Every "house style" I can think of-- I'm sure there are exceptions-- has its roots in what initially looked startling and unfamiliar. Even something as solidly ensconced and "classic" as the Dan DeCarlo "look" came onto the scene looking much different from how humor books were being drawn at the time, with a fresh injection of magazine illustration sensibility. Jack Kirby was great at cranking out workmanlike pages but his best work inarguably came about when he began to be able to chase his own idiosyncratic ideas about composition and energy. I'm sure a lot of editors over the decades have agreed with you but I can't even imagine how much poorer the art form would be.

I'm not saying no one can use their own style, just that they should be able to handle the basics first before being allowed to be experimental for the most part

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I'm not saying no one can use their own style, just that they should be able to handle the basics first before being allowed to be experimental for the most part

i'm genuinely curious who you think at the big 2 don't know the basics of how to draw art, aside from erica henderson obviously, and since you said 99% of the artists can't draw it should be fairly easy for you to name plenty of examples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

As I said she's not very good at drawing it much of the time, it's most obvious during the Savage Land arc, I think I have a reference pic for this somewhere I'll try and dig it up

and here's what I was referring to;

so yeah Doreen has a fairly beefy physique without going all She-Hulk like how most superheroines and villainesses with muscles are drawn(it actually reminds me a lot of this one page from back in the 80's or early 90's where Black Widow was shown doing a workout and had a similarly buff bod)

Alaois posted:

i'm genuinely curious who you think at the big 2 don't know the basics of how to draw art, aside from erica henderson obviously, and since you said 99% of the artists can't draw it should be fairly easy for you to name plenty of examples

honestly I'm terrible at remembering the names of comics creators outside of some of the bigger examples so I actually can't name too many besides the obvious suspects like Greg Land, probably doesn't help that I don't actively follow comics from the big 2 these days for the most part