Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh cool that’s good to know. Also a simplified controller scheme probably isn’t the worst thing in the world.

I guess I’ll grab another joycon if that situation warrants it, but it’s nice to know everything is okay for the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hi, Merry Christmas thread.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I got a new tv and now I kinda want to get a second dock :ohdear:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

THE loving MOON posted:

If you're going to be switching back and forth a lot, the expense is worth it imo

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
I'd grab the second Pro when it comes to it. It'll be as useful for them playing on their own, and it'll be two full-fat controllers for 2P. Second Joy Con opens up 4P but jeez, who has 3 friends?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Do I need to get a memory card for the Switch? I honestly have gotten this system relatively blind. I'll look for protective screen covers and stuff later, I'm sure of that

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

THE loving MOON posted:

Wait for this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1274541538/jumpgate-a-versatile-dock-for-switch-and-smart-dev/description

They start shipping next month

Shinjobi posted:

Do I need to get a memory card for the Switch? I honestly have gotten this system relatively blind. I'll look for protective screen covers and stuff later, I'm sure of that

Yes, sd cards are getting increasingly cheaper. Grab a 128gb and be set for a good while.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 25, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah, it takes standard microSD cards. I'd grab a 128gb or bigger if you want to get a lot of digital games, and hell even cart-only games are going to have required downloads such as patches. These are cheap now.

I also highly recommend these glass screen protectors, turn that nasty cheap plastic feeling screen into a gorilla-glass quality panel with One Easy Purchase:

https://www.amazon.com/amFilm-Tempered-Screen-Protector-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01N3ASPNV

It comes with two, just in case you gently caress up the application (you won't, it's easy). I still have my second one stored away somewhere for/if when I need to replace this one.

Finally, I'd consider a grip as well if you play handheld a lot. I'm a fan of this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Protective-Y...rds=switch+grip

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

Wait for this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1274541538/jumpgate-a-versatile-dock-for-switch-and-smart-dev/description

They start shipping next month

Yes, sd cards are getting increasingly cheaper. Grab a 128gb and be set for a good while.

Oh hey, that's neat. Yeah ill wait for a little bit and see whats up.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Sister got me some joycons for Christmas so I can now play with a completely green colored Switch! :allears:

Need to get me a dock now to charge all my joycons though. Any recommendations?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

holy loving poo poo

someone is finally doing what the dock should have been from the outset

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Can you just order one next month or did you need to back it to have any chance of snagging one easily? Because yeah that's pretty sweet and I want one, if only because it would let me dock my switch without having to peel off my grip case

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

holy loving poo poo

It doesn’t cover the screen though, which kinda sucks imo.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That looks sweet as hell but I'd like to see a third party get their hands on one and verify their claims about the USB spec and being safe from bricking before putting any money down.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Got a second Nintendo Switch Dock and Joycons+Grip for Christmas so I can now lift my Switch from my office and take it down to the big screen for smashin' on a 55". Looking forward to some more adventure mode later today on the big tube.

Anything on the e-shop worth picking up while it is on sale? I like stuff like Dead Cells and Moonlighter. Platforming is not my forte, I will tolerate it but not like bullshittingly horrific punishment tier platforming.

Also a huge fan of RPGs. Couldn't really get into XC2 though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

theSpokeyDokey posted:

Got a second Nintendo Switch Dock and Joycons+Grip for Christmas so I can now lift my Switch from my office and take it down to the big screen for smashin' on a 55". Looking forward to some more adventure mode later today on the big tube.

Anything on the e-shop worth picking up while it is on sale? I like stuff like Dead Cells and Moonlighter. Platforming is not my forte, I will tolerate it but not like bullshittingly horrific punishment tier platforming.

Also a huge fan of RPGs. Couldn't really get into XC2 though.

Into the Breach is on sale and highly recommended if you like tactical strategy games.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

It doesn’t cover the screen though, which kinda sucks imo.

I'm using mine for travel, being able to quickly plug the switch in to the tv will be great for the holidays with the family when we want to access Hulu.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

holy loving poo poo

Wow that's terrible.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wow that's terrible.

That's just the core of the dock

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 25, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not a chance am I plugging any third party docks in after all the reports of bricked switches.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Not a chance am I plugging any third party docks in after all the reports of bricked switches.

Even if it works fine at first, Nintendo could just break it with system updates. I wouldn’t buy anything without the seal of approval.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They've been doing active vlogs about that.

https://youtu.be/XMm5mjVo14U

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I don't get the gripes with the actual dock. It's pretty drat portable. Could it be better? Maybe, but it doesn't weigh a thing and doesn't even take up that much room. If you figure the GC was supposed be portable I don't see how this is any worse.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I just opened my switch box and there was a dock and I use it and like plug it in and it charges my console and works pretty good in my opinion and if I were going portable I'd just unplug the power cable and take it with me to wherever.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Merry Christmas thread, and new Switch owners! There's so many good games on sale on the e-shop!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't get the gripes with the actual dock. It's pretty drat portable. Could it be better? Maybe, but it doesn't weigh a thing and doesn't even take up that much room. If you figure the GC was supposed be portable I don't see how this is any worse.

It’s incredibly easy to move around as well. Whenever I switch TVs, I just bring it with the power adapter since I usually have a spare HDMI plugged in to whatever TV anyway. I wouldn’t mind another dock for the slight added convenience but not for $70.:lol:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

My main gripe with the dock is that using it is a requirement. If the bottom of the Switch just had separate power and HDMI ports, you could still use the dock at home but also be able to take it to a friend's house and connect it their TV without needing anything but the Switch itself.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah at this stage I think I'm just gonna but another dock for my girlfriend's place

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Waffle! posted:

Merry Christmas thread, and new Switch owners! There's so many good games on sale on the e-shop!

Lolling because some of the handful of games in my wish list were on sale once or twice since Thanksgiving (Starlink, Hyrule Warriors) and I held off because I either didn't have the cash or I figured they'd be on sale again, but nope :(

Instead I bought Atari Flashback Classics and SNK 40th anniversary collection and they are both really nicely presented and fun (the SNK collection is godlike if only because it turns the rotary controls for the Ikari games and others like it into twinstick shooter controls, something I could never properly emulate in MAME). I know some people hate retro stuff but my Atari 2600 is long gone and my daughter is enjoying Combat and Space Invaders, and some of these arcade Atari titles I haven't played since I was a kid (Fire Truck!)

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
My main gripe with it is cost. A second switch certified dock costs around 90 bucks. It’s only a minor inconvenience to unplug them so it’s not a huge deal to me but being able to have a second one to work with upstairs and keep the main one downstairs would be nice.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Bruteman posted:

Lolling because some of the handful of games in my wish list were on sale once or twice since Thanksgiving (Starlink, Hyrule Warriors) and I held off because I either didn't have the cash or I figured they'd be on sale again, but nope :(

Instead I bought Atari Flashback Classics and SNK 40th anniversary collection and they are both really nicely presented and fun (the SNK collection is godlike if only because it turns the rotary controls for the Ikari games and others like it into twinstick shooter controls, something I could never properly emulate in MAME). I know some people hate retro stuff but my Atari 2600 is long gone and my daughter is enjoying Combat and Space Invaders, and some of these arcade Atari titles I haven't played since I was a kid (Fire Truck!)

I've been wanting to check out SNK 40th collection, but had no idea there was an Atari Flashback collection on the Switch! $40 seems steep though for some Atari games. Maybe if it drops to ~$20 I'll check it out. Good to know it exists.

BisterdDave fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 25, 2018

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Hi, Merry Christmas thread.

It is indeed! Added a gift card to the store and finally bought some things on my wishlist. Set for ages now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

holy loving poo poo

They've succeeded in creating a larger footprint that takes up more space?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Isn't the dock-bricking issue just when updating? You can set the switch to not auto update so it seems easy to avoid that situation if you are using one.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Into the Breach is on sale and highly recommended if you like tactical strategy games.

Finally picked this up today. This is super fun and elegant and makes me feel like a super genius when I pull off a level flawlessly. And then I make a bunch of boneheaded moves and have to start over.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Ok you scumbags i bought the mario+rabbids game, it better be actually good after all the positive comments on it, cause i hate rabbids

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

HenryEx posted:

Ok you scumbags i bought the mario+rabbids game, it better be actually good after all the positive comments on it, cause i hate rabbids

We all do. Game rules.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Count me in as one of the newest switch owners courtesy of my girlfriend.

I already have my eye on the Big Games like Octotraveller, Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Mario+Rabbids, and of course Smash. One thing, I already play a lot of indie games on Steam and played a lot of the games on the WiiU. I loved BoTW and Captain Toad but is it worth rebuying for the Switch at all? Also are there any indie games that are just so much better on Switch or exclusive? Apologies if that's a commonly asked question.

Also I played Diablo 3 to death on the PC over many seasons, does it do anything remarkably different content wise or well to get it again while it's on sale?

Fortunately I never got Shovel Knight on Steam so now is a good excuse. I'll probably rebuy Rayman Legends since I never beat it. Also probably rebuy Overcooked 2 to play with my gf easier since it's kind of a pain over Steam Link.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bushisms.txt posted:

That's just the core of the dock

To think, with all of the engineering they put into this and they don't have integrated Ethernet? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Unexplored is on sale pretty cheap, is it still pretty broken?