Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, it took a few tries, but I finally passed my 5h dan (kendo). No belt picture has we don't have those!
Congratulations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, it took a few tries, but I finally passed my 5h dan (kendo). No belt picture has we don't have those!

:hai:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
When sparring stand up, anyone got any tips on how to not lean back at the waist and instead use my rear leg to pull back? My body naturally wants to keep my feet planted and bend at the waist but it's clear that thats a rooky mistake

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

willie_dee posted:

When sparring stand up, anyone got any tips on how to not lean back at the waist and instead use my rear leg to pull back? My body naturally wants to keep my feet planted and bend at the waist but it's clear that thats a rooky mistake

Drill the right move a lot.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
We talked about it at length here, and no real solution or conclusion was came to iirc, but some good news.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/dec/21/patricio-manuel-trans-boxer-made-history

A trans person has won a boxing match for the first time.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

willie_dee posted:

We talked about it at length here, and no real solution or conclusion was came to iirc, but some good news.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/dec/21/patricio-manuel-trans-boxer-made-history

A trans person has won a boxing match for the first time.

Here's a video of the decision and highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQquJrWVFcY

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Is it a red flag for a martial arts studio to say no one is allowed to just come in and watch a class, and to also proclaim via a large sign that they reserve the right to select their own students?

It's wing chun if that makes any difference.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Yes

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Those are both red flags, but wing chun is basically a bunch of red flags tied together and marketed as a martial art

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I think keeping your feet planted is the root cause of this problem and you need to drill in/outs while bouncing around. Leaning back moves the center of gravity off your feet and sets you up to catch a big punch

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Those are both red flags, but wing chun is basically a bunch of red flags tied together and marketed as a martial art

Got it. I got that vibe, but don't really know anything about it.

My kids have done BJJ and Muay Thai for years (after doing taekwondo for years) and are wanting to check out something different.

The only offerings in our area that aren't immediately identifiable as "mall karate" are this wing chun place and a judo place.

mewse
May 2, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Got it. I got that vibe, but don't really know anything about it.

My kids have done BJJ and Muay Thai for years (after doing taekwondo for years) and are wanting to check out something different.

The only offerings in our area that aren't immediately identifiable as "mall karate" are this wing chun place and a judo place.

Judo is way more legit than wing chun

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Judo owns and it's great to learn as a kid when you can still fall down all weird and not blow something out immediately

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Judowns

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Go do Judo, it'll immediately help their BJJ as well.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
So I'm thinking of trying out BJJ in a few weeks/ a month because I'm getting nasty and fat and it sounds pretty cool. I'm totally blind without my glasses and am not really sure how that would work. I've only done really basic hand to hand stuff when I was in the military. I'm sure I don't want them on when sparring but not sure how a class would work. Anyone have advice? I'm assuming contacts are the way to go but I figured I'd ask.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Consummate Professional posted:

So I'm thinking of trying out BJJ in a few weeks/ a month because I'm getting nasty and fat and it sounds pretty cool. I'm totally blind without my glasses and am not really sure how that would work. I've only done really basic hand to hand stuff when I was in the military. I'm sure I don't want them on when sparring but not sure how a class would work. Anyone have advice? I'm assuming contacts are the way to go but I figured I'd ask.

I just had my glasses case with me during the instructional bit and I'd stash it once we broke to drill/roll, it was kind of tedious but it worked. Partially motivated me to finally get the surgery though.

e: sometimes people just leave their glasses on the mat too, don't do that though

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 24, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What's your prescription? You could take a backup pair and put them on for instruction and off for drills.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Dave Grool posted:

I just had my glasses case with me during the instructional bit and I'd stash it once we broke to drill/roll, it was kind of tedious but it worked. Partially motivated me to finally get the surgery though.

e: sometimes people just leave their glasses on the mat too, don't do that though
Oh I didn't think of that, duh. I'd love to get lasik one day, I need to get my teeth less messed up first.

kimbo305 posted:

What's your prescription? You could take a backup pair and put them on for instruction and off for drills.

Looks like I was about -4.5 in both eyes with some astigmatism mixed in after my last exam. I'm not getting much detail after at best a few feet.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oh I didn't think of that, duh. I'd love to get lasik one day, I need to get my teeth less messed up first.

Looks like I was about -4.5 in both eyes with some astigmatism mixed in after my last exam. I'm not getting much detail after at best a few feet.

I'm -4, -4.25. I kickbox with no correction on. I've never felt it to be a real limitation. I feel like I would be completely comfortable grappling, where most of the time I'd have some contact with my partner.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dave Grool posted:

This is what all the glasses wearing folks do at my gym.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Thanks everyone! Looks like I may have been overthinking this one. I'll try the free class at a few of our local places and see how it goes.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Basically what the Koreans do is they wear their glasses during instruction, then take them off and toss them to the side while drilling. Sparring is a bit different of course but your options for that are basically wear contacts, get lasik, or just not spar.

My last instructor always wore glasses and would just take his off during stuff that wearing glasses would be an issue.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I always just took my glasses off and moved a lot closer for any demonstration bits, it never hurts to get a different angle on finer details anyway.

I tried having contact lenses in, but to be honest they come out quite a lot due to the rough and tumble, and if you put them back into your eye after they’ve been on a mat then your odds of getting staph in your eye goes waaaaaaay up so basically: gently caress That.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I tried having contact lenses in, but to be honest they come out quite a lot due to the rough and tumble, and if you put them back into your eye after they’ve been on a mat then your odds of getting staph in your eye goes waaaaaaay up so basically: gently caress That.

I once had a juggalo punch a contact out of me at a less than jake show. I think I'm gonna stick with glasses and being blind and see how it goes

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I once had a juggalo punch a contact out of me at a less than jake show. I think I'm gonna stick with glasses and being blind and see how it goes

It’s the same thing except instead of chanting “family” and hatchetman it’s red shields and “osssss”

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Keep in mind that for sparring that you don't really need good vision. A ton of grappling is body awareness anyway. I've done blindfolded judo, and honestly it's not that hard. I can imagine if you can see your feet with your glasses off, that's probably enough vision.

Don't listen to his lies your eyes

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
FWIW I wear my glasses during demonstration and take them off during drilling and sparring.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I’ve grappled a few times with both people closing their eyes. We started from the knees for safety reasons but it was pretty much the same.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
staring at the wall when passing/breaking guard is good practice for maintaining correct posture too

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dave Grool posted:

staring at the wall when passing/breaking guard is good practice for maintaining correct posture too

Yeah. I often find myself looking above uke's head at some random spot on the mat while rolling.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I've rolled with blind people before, they had no issues taking my back.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I got my orange belt in judo!

To date, I've landed I think 3 throws in randori that actually felt like "maximum efficiency, minimal effort." A magical o soto gari against a fellow white belt who was approaching me right at the start of randori too quickly to keep his balance; a harai makikomi at the very beginning of a randori before the teenager I was up against could get his grip; and a ko soto gari where for once I just saw a clear opening and realized "oh! your foot's just right there for me to sweep." It was like time slowed down on that third one as I realized I had an opportunity. Those brief moments of basic competence are super encouraging and unforgettable. Most of the time I just sort of stiffly and awkwardly try to set up either an o soto gari or a ko soto gake, or go into a kesa gatame on the ground if either of us flub a throw.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Cephas posted:

To date, I've landed I think 3 throws in randori that actually felt like "maximum efficiency, minimal effort." A magical o soto gari against a fellow white belt who was approaching me right at the start of randori too quickly to keep his balance; a harai makikomi at the very beginning of a randori before the teenager I was up against could get his grip; and a ko soto gari where for once I just saw a clear opening and realized "oh! your foot's just right there for me to sweep." It was like time slowed down on that third one as I realized I had an opportunity. Those brief moments of basic competence are super encouraging and unforgettable. Most of the time I just sort of stiffly and awkwardly try to set up either an o soto gari or a ko soto gake, or go into a kesa gatame on the ground if either of us flub a throw.

Great work!

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Congrats! I'm a green belt and I hardly ever get throws, but I'm the least experienced in a small group of bjj people that cross train judo so it's weird figuring out my actual skill level.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Cephas posted:

Congrats!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wrap it up mmailures, mall karate works:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/yw775k/kidnapper-chases-woman-into-karate-dojo-gets-beaten-up-by-instructor-charlotte-nc-vgtrn
Def wanna see the security footage.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dang. The street lethal technique of there's 4 of us and 1 of you.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

After the whole Greg Hardy situation, the would be kidnapper will prob get signed to the UFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've asked this before but search isn't working for me. What would be a good place to take classes/learn kickboxing or Muay Thai in Portland? I'm an old man, 29, so I'm not sure how much that will matter.