Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I need to make a comment about the Christmas songs. I watched this movie today and the point where Spidey sings Jingle Bells in it I swore I heard him sing ‘Batman’ in there... The version in the credits however was the normal version.

There was also a joke in the movie and I think it was Spider-Ham who mentions that it was referencing another franchise and that “...you’re just gonna leave that in there?” or something.

So now I’m obsessing about DC Batman Jingle Bells in a Marvel movie made by Sony. :aaaaa:

*edit: also this movie is just loving stunning looking. My jaw was hanging towards the end taking it all in. I need the art book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*edit: also this movie is just loving stunning looking. My jaw was hanging towards the end taking it all in. I need the art book.

I have a very minor gripe about the animation style because that kind of psuedo-stop motion worked when the premise of the film was "the imagined world of toys" but doesn't fit as well when that conceit is removed

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have a very minor gripe about the animation style because that kind of psuedo-stop motion worked when the premise of the film was "the imagined world of toys" but doesn't fit as well when that conceit is removed

I don’t care about your gripes dude.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So now I’m obsessing about DC Batman Jingle Bells in a Marvel movie made by Sony. :aaaaa:

One of the songs on the Black Panther soundtrack directly mentions Gotham City. The rapper actually namedrops a character but it's unclear who because it's censored.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I’d argue the variable frame rate works to an advantage in the action sequences because it allows the animators to emphasize key actions and moments better than a smoother frame rate would. The What’s Up Danger sequence uses this to great effect as Miles finally comes into his own and he actually starting doing things deliberately rather than bumbling though them.

It’s in the quieter dialog scenes where the choppy frame rate comes off as jarring, but you’re right it is a minor annoyance at best.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

nine-gear crow posted:

I’d argue the variable frame rate works to an advantage in the action sequences because it allows the animators to emphasize key actions and moments better than a smoother frame rate would. The What’s Up Danger sequence uses this to great effect as Miles finally comes into his own and he actually starting doing things deliberately rather than bumbling though them.

It’s in the quieter dialog scenes where the choppy frame rate comes off as jarring, but you’re right it is a minor annoyance at best.

I suppose they could have gone for even larger gaps in the frames to try and mimic the sequential "comic" style for the action scenes and it might have worked, or it might have caused everyone to be terribly motion sick so who knows

I mean, purely visually its alright, I just wish there was an established context for it. I really enjoyed it in the lego movie because we were ostensibly seeing the toys being manipulated by a child but in a setting in which the child is invisible within the world itself. The jerky motions mimicked the hands of a child manipulating them as the child played.

this movie doesn't give us that context and it sort of makes the effect suffer because of it

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 25, 2018

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The action scenes looking a lot better in motion than the calm talky bits is something I noticed too. It almost makes the calmer scenes look like they are from a much cheaper movie that couldn't afford full animation.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
To distract from everyone shouting down the guy who wants to talk about the movie in the forum for talking about movies:

https://twitter.com/philiplord/status/1077441380488744960

Also, the photo of the derpy Spider-Man ice cream bar from the opening was the original photo that Matt from the classic web 1.0 nostalgia site X-Entertainment posted years and years ago.

https://twitter.com/DinosaurDracula/status/1074137028512616449

https://twitter.com/DinosaurDracula/status/1074137524145176577

https://twitter.com/DinosaurDracula/status/1074336011713474560

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That’s just Deadpool at that point.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Mann posted:

To distract from everyone shouting down the guy who wants to talk about the movie in the forum for talking about movies:

https://twitter.com/philiplord/status/1077441380488744960

Alamo Drafthouses had Italian Spiderman playing before the main showing :allears:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Queen Combat posted:

Alamo Drafthouses had Italian Spiderman playing before the main showing :allears:
Amazing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

I’m not saying there isn’t a possibly valid interpretation along those lines, I’m saying BravestOfTheLamps is nowhere even close to making one, even given your ridiculously generous take on his semi-coherent rambling about insidious spider gods and exposed spider genitalia.

There's nothing incoherent about it. Spider-Verse establishes that there's a Lovecraftian spider-god.

Its plan is to apparently to turn one dude (usually the same person) in every dimension into an outlandishly-dressed vigilante.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sitting through the credits and oh my gosh this movie was so good.

E: Holy poo poo

Also it's literally not fair that the first line of Stan's first posthumous cameo is "I'm gonna miss him."

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 25, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well I definitely won't.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well I definitely won't.

You really need to stop trying so hard

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like this is what Sony should be putting their energy into instead of their Aldi-brand MCU with D-list villains. The Spider-Verse would be perfect as a cinematic multiverse because you can make each movie generally standalone, but still have crossover potential.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like this is what Sony should be putting their energy into instead of their Aldi-brand MCU with D-list villains. The Spider-Verse would be perfect as a cinematic multiverse because you can make each movie generally standalone, but still have crossover potential.

Sick burn on Aldi outta nowhere (seriously, their store brand stuff ranges from good to better than the name brands)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was inside an Aldi once and the general atmosphere of it was the most depressing place I've ever been in in my life.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Aldi and Lidl are totally acceptable given how Tesco and Dunnes are major-rips in comparison.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

I was inside an Aldi once and the general atmosphere of it was the most depressing place I've ever been in in my life.

They recently did a redesign that makes it much better but there's some that can't be saved. The one in Rocky Hill, CT is actually awesome but the one is Bristol is pretty depressing

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

OldTennisCourt posted:

You really need to stop trying so hard

I'm never going to miss blonde Spider-Man.

Waffleman_ posted:

Except it's a travesty of the idea of a "cinematic multiverse". Like this movie nominally is about different genres clashing, but it doesn't explore those genres and just crams them into the superhero mould.

For example, if you're going to have a movie where a character from a film noir reality crosses over to a "normal" world, why not have someone like a film noir character instead of just another superhero?

Or why is the character from Looney Tunes reality also a superhero? If you watch classic Looney Tunes, they'd parody any genre they want, so why is the whole idea of classic Looney Tunes reduced to a superhero?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

I'm never going to miss blonde Spider-Man.

Except it's a travesty of the idea of a "cinematic multiverse". Like this movie nominally is about different genres clashing, but it doesn't explore those genres and just crams them into the superhero mould.

For example, if you're going to have a movie where a character from a film noir reality crosses over to a "normal" world, why not have someone like a film noir character instead of just another superhero?

Or why is the character from Looney Tunes reality also a superhero? If you watch classic Looney Tunes, they'd parody any genre they want, so why is the whole idea of classic Looney Tunes reduced to a superhero?
Its an animated superhero movie.

Its Christmas my man. Spend it being with those you love. Stop being miserable for just this one day.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

There's nothing incoherent about it. Spider-Verse establishes that there's a Lovecraftian spider-god.

Its plan is to apparently to turn one dude (usually the same person) in every dimension into an outlandishly-dressed vigilante.

I think its a bit reductive to limit the outside presence controlling the universe to a tangible entity. The Spider-God exists, but not as a controlling presence within the universe. The Spider-God is the audience and the industry. There must be Spider-Man movies for Sony, and so this is the story of a new Spider-Man being crafted so that he can be in more movies. Simply creating an actual entity in the narrative robs the audience of the necessary sensation of existential discomfort that comes from realizing that the malevolent force driving the heroes through their struggles is the audience itself.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

OldTennisCourt posted:

Its Christmas my man.

Your Gregorian calendar has no power here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Where do you guys keep getting this spider-god thing from?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it's from the original Spider-Verse comic event.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Their asses.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

I use it as shorthand for the fact that the movie seems to imply that despite the near infinite possibilities of the multiverse, all multiverses must have a Spider-Man. The fact that there is a present force or suggestion that maintains this sort of status quo is the "spider god".

Of course, I dont take it to be literal, since the spider god is clearly us

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The goblin stuck Spider-Man’s head in the collider which is why it sucked in other spider people. On the second run they are using a hair from Kingpin’s wife to hone in on them instead. I don’t know that a spider god is necessary here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, five universes having a Spider-Man when the collider was specifically calling for Spider-Men doesn't lead into "Every universe has a Spider-Man."

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Some of you guys seem like nightmares to see movies with tbh

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Did none of you dinguses watch the 90s Spider-Man cartoon? Spider-God exists and her name is Madame Web, and Stan Lee wanted to bang her when they met briefly because she was voiced by his wife.

Thus the debate is over. Merry Spider-Mas.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

The goblin stuck Spider-Man’s head in the collider which is why it sucked in other spider people.

Why did it suck in other spider people and not other orphaned nerds who live with their aunts

What essentiallized him as Spider-Man over all other aspects of himself? Afterall, as you said yourself, the universe looked for copies of Kingpins family, and yet the copies of Peter Parker wasnt other Peter Parkers, but other Spider-Men. What is that essentializing force?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Why did it suck in other spider people and not other orphaned nerds who live with their aunts

What essentiallized him as Spider-Man over all other aspects of himself? Afterall, as you said yourself, the universe looked for copies of Kingpins family, and yet the copies of Peter Parker wasnt other Peter Parkers, but other Spider-Men. What is that essentializing force?

Because it's an animated movie entitled "into the spider-verse"

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Radioactive spider blood.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, the common thread is that they all got bitten by radioactive spiders, and radioactivity is probably going to be more apparent to a particle collider.

DJPON3Vinyl
Apr 22, 2015

NmareBfly posted:

Radioactive spider blood.

Listen, bub

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, the common thread is that they all got bitten by radioactive spiders, and radioactivity is probably going to be more apparent to a particle collider.

Spider-Man Noir was bitten by a vessel of an ancient spider-god that wasn't radioactive so why is he there?

Also Japanese Spider-Girl was never bitten by a spider at all

checkmate libs

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Spider-Man Noir was bitten by a vessel of an ancient spider-god that wasn't radioactive so why is he there?

checkmate libs

Into the spider verse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

checkmate libs

Spider-Ham was a spider bitten by a radioactive May Porker.