Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Venom actually wasn't that bad. It wasn't great either, but Tom Hardy chews scenery like crazy and it can be pretty fun at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Winchester was the worst movie I saw this year but it's one of those movies that is so bad (and not in a fun way) that it's hard to mine for comedy. It's just bad and boring and not fun to watch.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don’t know if Jurassic World 2 is better than Jurassic World, but I certainly remember more of it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I preferred JW2 over JW for some reason. Maybe because it was wackier and had less annoying kids.

Neither Venom or JW2 feel like they deserve to be the worst of the year, but I’m not sure what was worse off the top of my head. Gotti?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I didn't see JW2 because JW was a massive piece of poo poo and I didn't see the point in sitting through another one of those. Just about everyone I know who's seen it has said it's somehow even worse than the first one :barf:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Everyone here needs to watch/listen to the Commandomentary immediately. Just to listen to Stephen react in real time to Commando for the first time ever. Everything else is just an added bonus.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

oh man I can see exactly where they are in my head

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
JW2 is almost guaranteed, right? I mean, the last act of that movie is too stupid to be ignored.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

JW2 is almost guaranteed, right? I mean, the last act of that movie is too stupid to be ignored.

I hope so, because it'd mean they've done an episode on all the Jurassic Park movies except the original.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Venom actually wasn't that bad. It wasn't great either, but Tom Hardy chews scenery like crazy and it can be pretty fun at times.

It was pretty okay. Definitely rough on the edges but good in a lot of places even!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Evil Mastermind posted:

I hope so, because it'd mean they've done an episode on all the Jurassic Park movies except the original.
I'm surprised that one didn't make it to WLM month, although they only had so many weeks to do that. Maybe if there's a future WLM month, they'll do it.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

BigglesSWE posted:

It's stupid, but it's also incredibly mean-spirited, in a way that none of the other four movies have been. The scene as the boat leaves the dock is way too long. I don't know if they were going for sympathy, but it just made me angry that I had to watch that poor Brachiosaurus suffering for so long. Also, first time in the franchise that one human has killed another, I think?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I unashamedly love all the Jurassic Park movies but JW2 was a real big mess. It sets up dinos with guns though so maybe it’ll payoff in real stupid ways for the next one.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Chris Pratt is so loving bland in those movies

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I love how JW is a bizarre meta-commentary of itself. Like the text of the movie is that "people are dumb and just want to see bigger dinosaurs" and the audience laughs at the jokes, but the joke is about you.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

JW was bad, but even expecting more bad going into JW2, it was shockingly bad. Every new revelation was dumber than the last. I'd be pretty surprised if it doesn't make the worst of 2018.

Me watching the second half of the movie: "Oh my god." *20 minutes later* "Oh my GOD." *20 minutes later* "OH MY GOD WHAT THE gently caress ARE THEY DOING?!"

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
"They're alive.....like me."
Is one of the dumbest lines ever uttered in a movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Also, I just watched Venom, and that movie is a weird, fun fever dream. It's rough in places, but I can't help but love it. I laughed all over the place, and with the movie, not at it. I'm glad I bought it sight unseen.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

JW2 was hilarious to me because it felt like a film where the only source material the director was familiar with was that weird side scrolling shooter on SNES where Grant wears body armor and fights dinos in a volcano.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
How does this "Worst of 2018" thing work exactly? Will they do a couple of episodes or just one? I haven't been listening to them for too long. Jurassic World 2 is definitely my worst of 2018, and I too loved every Jurassic Park film that came before.
I read that they have a 10-year-rule for their films, but they do newer ones and even on-screens, so I'm not sure. I've seen some terrible films lately that would be perfect for WHM (Knock, Knock and Cheap Thrills, especially).

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

sicDaniel posted:

How does this "Worst of 2018" thing work exactly? Will they do a couple of episodes or just one? I haven't been listening to them for too long. Jurassic World 2 is definitely my worst of 2018, and I too loved every Jurassic Park film that came before.
I read that they have a 10-year-rule for their films, but they do newer ones and even on-screens, so I'm not sure. I've seen some terrible films lately that would be perfect for WHM (Knock, Knock and Cheap Thrills, especially).

They'll do a month, so 4 or 5 episodes depending on where the days fall. 10 year rule is out the window for that month, obviously.

My guess would be The Predator, JW2, that one they confirmed, and I dunno.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

A Proper Uppercut posted:

My guess would be The Predator, JW2, that one they confirmed, and I dunno.

Oh drat, I totally forgot about The Predator. A lot of geek-heavy review sites wanted it to be good so badly because it was Shane Black and it was Rated-R and so on. Eventually watching them twist themselves into a knot, trying with all their might to wring praise out of it, was more entertaining than the movie itself.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Who's starring in that sextape?"
"Eckhardt, sir."
"OH MY GOD :stare: "

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

The Commandomentary is the best thing they've done this year (and they've done some good things this year). Commentary is great, Steves first time reactions are great and it made me rewatch Commando for the first time since I was a kid. I now realise its basically the Platonic ideal of the 80s action movie. Sax, synth and steel drums all over the soundtrack. Classic 80s set and costume design. One liners at every available opportunity. The body count of a small war. And not a second of the film wasted on unnecessary filler.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I going to start using 'what does your mom think of that?" as a low-key insult.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

"Who's starring in that sextape?"
"Eckhardt, sir."
"OH MY GOD :stare: "

I loved all the OH MY GOD moments during the recent episode and I hope it becomes a recurring joke. I was about to die laughing during some of the later ones.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

This was my first time watching Commando and it was like just OK. Nothing special. I enjoyed the commentary more. I don't see why they would lump this generic 80s action movie into the same category as the other movies they did this month.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

clown shoes posted:

This was my first time watching Commando and it was like just OK. Nothing special. I enjoyed the commentary more. I don't see why they would lump this generic 80s action movie into the same category as the other movies they did this month.

:catstare:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

clown shoes posted:

right?wrong.gif

The movie is everything you need in 80s action, and it is not just because I had a very big crush on Rae Dawn Chong as a child

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

It's OK not to like a movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

clown shoes posted:

It's OK not to like a movie.

not commando.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

clown shoes posted:

Arnold carried a loving tree down a mountain, ripped a seat out of a car and ripped a pipe off a wall and threw it through a goddamn man among other things.

I’m also excited for JW2 just for the part where the bad dinosaur all but smiles, winks at the camera, and says “ain’t I a stinker” before eating Buffalo Bill. Especially because I can’t imagine they won’t give him the shark voice.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

clown shoes posted:

OH MY GOD

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Shirec posted:

I loved all the OH MY GOD moments during the recent episode and I hope it becomes a recurring joke. I was about to die laughing during some of the later ones.
My favorite thing about it was how Andrew laughed his rear end off every single time.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

GoutPatrol posted:

right?wrong.gif

The movie is everything you need in 80s action, and it is not just because I had a very big crush on Rae Dawn Chong as a child

I wonder if it is one of those things like Cutizen Kane where something is so iconic and so copied that it seems derivative if you watch it after all it’s predecesors.

Commando is THE 80’s action movie.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

They just live-streamed the December mailbag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmNVlk8a29w

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
HEY BEE MAN

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Huh, I always figured Eric was the fattest and Chris skinniest.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
You look like a slut! And this is coming from a pig man talkin'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If they're always gonna be shorter I'm not sure I love live mailbags forever because some of them have been really long and it's wonderful.