Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I mean, Goseiger were on a field trip from Angel School when they got trapped on Earth.

Well if you stretch it out to the rangers just being students in general than Hurricanger, Gekiranger and Ninninger would technically qualify as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I miss when megazords used to actually have cockpits

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Larryb posted:

Well if you stretch it out to the rangers just being students in general than Hurricanger, Gekiranger and Ninninger would technically qualify as well.

And really, aren't we all students of life?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I miss when megazords used to actually have cockpits

Beast Morphers has a good chance of that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

In fact, I'm pretty sure Sentai has only actually done the whole "Teenagers with attitude" angle themselves twice in the entire franchise (Turboranger and Megaranger), otherwise the closest thing I can remember is the Red from Magiranger still being in high school.

There's a couple other high school aged characters in the franchise, but yeah I see your point

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How old were the team in ToQger supposed to be? I didn't watch much of it but they didn't seem super old or anything.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dawgstar posted:

How old were the team in ToQger supposed to be? I didn't watch much of it but they didn't seem super old or anything.

They were the youngest team in Sentai history, as literal children.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, they were quite younger than High Schoolers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Literally they were children but the form they take during the series is probably more like teenagers/young adults.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Larryb posted:

Literally they were children but the form they take during the series is probably more like teenagers/young adults.

iirc they were Ten

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Akira was an ageless demon.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

I love that they're keeping SPD going, but you mean to tell me that neither of the girls on the team moved up even a little bit?

Yeah throw me in as someone annoyed about this. Color promotion was such bullshit (even the writer has said so). This as a chance to get it right and give the girls their due, but nah. Like I’m hype for Babby Tommy (haven’t read it as it’s a Christmas gift from my wife, but I more or less know the gist). There are so many better ways they could have done this. I’m just spitballing ideas, but I’m not sure if it counts as a spoiler so I’ll just tag it as such.

Option 1: If Babby Tommy must needs be Green, promote either Syd or Z to Blue. The other will keep her original color.

Option 2: Syd and Z are no longer on B Squad and have a different role in SPD. Hell, maybe one or both of them retired.

Option 3: Babby Tommy’s mom is supposed to be Kat, yeah? So instead of making Babby Tommy be Green, make him Pink instead.

Option 4: Keep the colors but change the numbers.

But the way they did it so far? Yeah, not a fan. They promoted someone from HyperForce and The Rookie over them and I’m always gonna see that as trash.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Morby posted:

Option 4: Keep the colors but change the numbers.

Yeah, I was gonna say why not just do that? I realise that actual physical production realities meant that the girls got screwed over on things in the finale of the show, but when you're just drawing them for a Christmas card and already loving around with designs for Green and the commander, why not rework the numbers on Yellow and Pink?

Also I'm not interested in any SPD future where Bridge and Z haven't gotten together. OTP

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

did... did they ever really get much material setting them up together? I don't really remember anything significant.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Not really, I'm just an idiot that thought they were cute together :shobon:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, it's pizza time, baby.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Not really, I'm just an idiot that thought they were cute together :shobon:

If it's any consolation, I'm an idiot who was glad to see Soccadillo catch the bouquet at Zedd and Rita's wedding.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We’re gonna toss your salad.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Invalid Validation posted:

We’re gonna toss your salad.
I dunno, I'm Jose Conseco!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Divatox as jerky pizza waitress is her hottest form

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hey did I ever tell you guys about the time I tossed a monsters salad?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I think SPD had the most potential of any of the more modern seasons, it's just a shame it drops the ball around the halfway point. I always hated how the girls in the team got so few focus episodes, especially since their dekaranger counterparts had so much good footage left on the table.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JT Smiley posted:

I think SPD had the most potential of any of the more modern seasons, it's just a shame it drops the ball around the halfway point. I always hated how the girls in the team got so few focus episodes, especially since their dekaranger counterparts had so much good footage left on the table.

I'm rewatching it and that is a shame. Syd and Z are both fun.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh hey, it's the meme episode. Probably the episode where the Carranger footage is most obvious about what Carranger is, and I'm glad Power Rangers gave it the seriousness it deserved, to the point of constantly calling back to it whenever TJ is back.

Almost makes me ignore the obvious Japanese on the oven. Almost.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say why not just do that? I realise that actual physical production realities meant that the girls got screwed over on things in the finale of the show, but when you're just drawing them for a Christmas card and already loving around with designs for Green and the commander, why not rework the numbers on Yellow and Pink?

My assumption is that they straight up didn’t think about it. I don’t think it was malicious, I just unintentionally bad.

quote:

Also I'm not interested in any SPD future where Bridge and Z haven't gotten together. OTP

But Z and Syd are clearly in love! :mad: leading me to...

Option 5: Syd and Z are dating and it would break fraternization rules to promote one over the other.

Basically anything would have been better than what they did.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Morby posted:

My assumption is that they straight up didn’t think about it. I don’t think it was malicious, I just unintentionally bad.

Oh yeah, I don't think there was ever any intentional making GBS threads on the girls either here or in the original production, it's just one of those things that highlights how much this is a series for boys.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/TheRealDivatox/status/1077339606478016512?s=19

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Merry Christmas, thread. I got you something!

Gift into Turbo!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Man I’m excited to see how this mystery ranger plot line gets resolved!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Started Jetman.

Had read how most of the behind-the-scenes crew left after that season, still was not prepared for how different it feels. It's like there's a budget! And a director of photography somewhere!

Also was surprised to see the Vyram bumping off civilians on-screen. Especially the dude sucked into the faucet.

So far, so good.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sorry y'all, vacation and family had me all tied up yesterday.

Today on Power Rangers, things just can't stop turning invisible.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, Divatox tries to freeze the loving sun.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Haven’t seen a detonator in a while

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I watched the first two episodes of Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad because I'm a grown up and you can't tell me how to live my life. I remember seeing a couple of episodes as a kid and seeing bits and pieces about the new Gridman anime had me curious. Thoughts:

- The mech designs are absolutely top notch. The whole idea of mechs that can combine to form a robot, then combine a different way with an Ultraman-type dude to make an even bigger, cooler robot is just brilliant and it's a shame more Toku shows haven't done it. The closest examples I can think of are the Thunder Zords from MMPR and the Buster Machines in Go-Busters, but they don't quite get there. It's such a good concept for a sentai show, I'm surprised they never went there.
- Tim Curry is a delight, as ever.
- Our hero, Sam, has perhaps the least agency I've ever seen in a toku hero. His only defining traits appear to be playing the guitar and horniness.
- This is a very 2019 woke take but Malcolm Frink, the human working with evil computer Tim Curry, is written as an almost frighteningly accurate take on a modern incel weirdo. In just two episodes, he wanders around school wearing all black, decides some girl is his girlfriend and actively tries to prevent her from seeing other men, engages in what is arguably cyber-terrorism in order to prevent the girl from going on a date with someone else, and then tries to get his 'rival' arrested by the police.
- There is a tertiary character working at the school who seems to be into motorbikes. She seems cool. I just looked up the actor and it seems like at the time she was working on this show she was suffering from some combination of cancer, diabetes and blindness. She died in 2001 and that's a god drat shame.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
S4 (which I have just decided is how I will abbreviate that dumb name) was a great show and honestly, may be better than MMPR in a lot of ways. It's creative in how it used the toku footage, has actors that are, AJJ aside, better than the main cast on PR, and while it falls into a lot of mid-90s "how do I internet" traps, it's actually kind of prescient in some ways., certainly in a way that's aged better than like, VR Troopers.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Guys, it's Super Samurai.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

has actors that are, AJJ aside, better than the main cast on PR,

I'd add Walter Jones and JYB to that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JYB is pretty dire for a couple seasons

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

JYB is pretty dire for a couple seasons

Not to defend JYB too much because clearly he found his niche, but didn't he basically learn acting while on Power Rangers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah essentially.