Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Norte Verde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

I have people call it "Cutter" of all things.

Yeah. That's more correct than kuh-TAR. KUH-tar is acceptable. CUT-er, but said as kind of a mix between KUH-tar and KUH-ter, and something closer to gutter/guttar are also accurate.

In my experience actual Qataris get that no one loving knows how to say it and even locals will pronounce it a bit different. But kuh-TAR is the most anglicized butchering of it out there.

What makes it extra confusing is that sometimes locals will intentionally use kuh-TAR around anglophones for clarity rather than explaining how they say it. So then someone saying kuh-TAR feels vindicated. Alternate valid take: that's how you say it in English, so it's every bit as valid as saying Germany instead of Deutschland.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 26, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

McNally posted:

It was "Cutter" when I visited the Qatar Permanent Mission to the UN.

It was “cutter” when I worked at ARCENT. Maybe “kut-err” like the ut in “hut” is a better way of spelling it phonetically. :shrug:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Here's video of various people from Northwestern U of Qatar, both foreign and otherwise, saying Qatar. Notably, some native speakers explain that they say the word totally differently in Arabic vs English.

https://vimeo.com/14490749

bonus confusion: when the person who's Qatari armed forces is telling you how to say it, but they're actually contract worker soldiers who are immigrants from Egypt/Syria/Oman/etc. Or they're non-mil contract laborers from India.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 26, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Here's video of various people from Northwestern U of Qatar, both foreign and otherwise, saying Qatar. Notably, some native speakers explain that they say the word totally differently in Arabic vs English.

Kind of like how everyone I've met from Latin America pronounces Miami (my ammi) the English way rather than the Spanish way (mi ami), even when conversing in Spanish.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

mlmp08 posted:

Alternate valid take: that's how you say it in English, so it's every bit as valid as saying Germany instead of Deutschland.

I think this is the right way to go about this kind of thing. Once there's an established name for a country in a language it's OK to pronounce it that way even if it's nothing like what a native to that country would call it. Spain/España etc.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Both the Q and the T in the English spelling refer to sounds that no dialect of English has. The first A and the second A are also different letters, where one is a short vowel and the other is a long vowel.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

psydude posted:

Kind of like how everyone I've met from Latin America pronounces Miami (my ammi) the English way rather than the Spanish way (mi ami), even when conversing in Spanish.

Oh yes, this. I realize this goes both ways, but here is my story:

I have a really good customer who came to America from Cuba as a small child and has lived his whole life in a Spanish speaking part of town. You learn to live with the code-switching - much like he does, I guess. He once told me, "Hey, I got to make you deliver to the Boooks, you been there?" "Eh, no?" (Oh, boook-an-eers!) Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The most endearing bit is when he works Spanish gender cases into English, "That is a brand-new trailer, please don't hurt him!" Fair enough, a truck is a "she" by us. Doubly appropriate to me, "she" pulls "him" around to get the work done.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

It's a shame how bad it's gotten in the motor city, DayTwaahhh

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slim Pickens posted:

It's a shame how bad it's gotten in the motor city, DayTwaahhh

De-Twahh is how my friends and I say Detroit about 99% of the time. Unless I'm around my actual Detroit relatives, and then of course I don't pull that poo poo.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Literally no one in Michigan says that French nonsense. I

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Miami, Texas is pronounced my-ama.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Duquesne.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Slow news day huh

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I assume the cheeto is Twitter making GBS threads but I can't be assed to care

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I assume the cheeto is Twitter making GBS threads but I can't be assed to care

Pronounced 'tweet-er'.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
In LA when the prodominate population for Los Feliz was mexican it was pronounced the with the latin softness on Los "fell liz". When people refer to the neighborhood in the present gentrified context it is pronounced "Lose Feel us" .

Language is fun!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

That Works posted:

I'm sorry I thought this was America

Nope, this is Wendy's.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Welcome to Miami

Bienvenido a Miami

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Literally no one in Michigan says that French nonsense. I

Do you guys say Sault Sainte Marie properly at least? Americans who say clique like its "click" bugs me a lot

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
With Montreal and Toronto you don't really say the T's (well except the start of Toronto but it's pretty soft)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Do you guys say Sault Sainte Marie properly at least? Americans who say clique like its "click" bugs me a lot

Soo Saint Marie?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Fallom posted:

Welcome to Miami

Bienvenido a Miami

Im going to Miami

Welcome to Miami

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Soo Saint Marie?

yeah

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

How else do you pronounce clique? Two syllables?

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Soo Saint Marie?

"Da soo, eh?"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Cluckoo

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Cleeck basically

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Soulex posted:

Im going to Miami

Welcome to Miami

Bouncin in the club where the heat is on,
All night on the beach to the break of dawn

Goddamnit will smith.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Thelonious posted:

"Da soo, eh?"

We don't talk about da soo

And the correct way to pronounce Toronto is close to turannah.

Any additional ts will mark you as an outsider.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Oh thank god.

https://twitter.com/markberman/status/1077672003644129285?s=21

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Internet Wizard posted:

Both the Q and the T in the English spelling refer to sounds that no dialect of English has. The first A and the second A are also different letters, where one is a short vowel and the other is a long vowel.

This is not true. ق certainly doesn’t have a direct English equivalent, but ط is just a regular T sound.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

MA-Horus posted:

We don't talk about da soo

And the correct way to pronounce Toronto is close to turannah.

Any additional ts will mark you as an outsider.

Getting away from place names, Cadillac was a French explorer, so the L sound in the car brand name should be a Y sound.

Also god dammit now I got that Miami song stuck in my head.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

Click.
Cadiyack.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hey N4I, I'm gonna get down on all fours behind 2019 while you push him, it'll be hilarious.

Then make him taste the curb to establish dominance early.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Extremely triggered by the family that named their daughter "Collman"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Dumb and hilarious: President asking 7-year old about Santa, "marginal" quote, etc.

Dumb and really annoying; Press looking for kid and further grilling her about Santa, her understanding of the word "marginal."

How about report on what the president said and then leave the kid alone? Especially when a lot of press agencies encourage leaving Barron alone. Give this girl the same dignity you give Barron, at least.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

EBB posted:

Hey N4I, I'm gonna get down on all fours behind 2019 while you push him, it'll be hilarious.

Then make him taste the curb to establish dominance early.

Great, now 2019 has something to prove. Better finalize your death pool.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/josephhdempsey/status/1077603300344823809?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Arc Light posted:

Great, now 2019 has something to prove. Better finalize your death pool.

2019 is going to be a piece of poo poo just like his two younger brothers