Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Freedom and Security is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Terper posted:

Freedom and Security is really good.

It's probably my favorite dungeon theme in this game, tbh.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Hunt11 posted:

Considering the rise in totalitarianism in the world it is an important thing to repeatedly cover.

It’s covered by the literal rest of the game, which doesn’t delve into dumb pseudo-sociology and shows the public to be extremely malleable and fickle without feeling the need to repeatedly say it like 20 times over the course of an hour

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

GeneX posted:

It’s covered by the literal rest of the game, which doesn’t delve into dumb pseudo-sociology and shows the public to be extremely malleable and fickle without feeling the need to repeatedly say it like 20 times over the course of an hour

Well when you try to treat the problem itself, rather than all the symptoms around it, one can expect some lengthy speeches about it.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Glazius posted:

was anybody we collared, even in the upper reaches of Mementos, doing anything but lashing out for their own benefit?

Well yeah, that's the point. Because when you get right down to it, so were the Phantom Thieves. They picked better targets for it sure, and that makes all the difference, but they're still forcing the world to conform to what they want for their own benefit.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

ajkalan posted:

It's probably my favorite dungeon theme in this game, tbh.

I think Whims of Fate is probably the best, and I personally like a lot of the music from the Bank and Futaba’s dungeons, but it’s absolutely the most thematic and appropriate music in the game.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh hey it's where I stopped playing the game because it kept throwing enemies at me that could do full-party brainwashes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 182: 12/24: The Sweet Embrace Of Nihilism

Music: Freedom and Security

So, we start off this update immediately bumrushed by Shadows and caught in an ambush because you’re not ready for a fight immediately after that cutscene with the camera facing the wrong direction! Also, it’s a double fight, because gently caress you.

Ryuji learns Maziodyne to replace Mazionga.

Futaba also learns Subrecover SP EX, which automatically replaces Subrecover SP. Now backup party members will have their SP restored by 3% instead of 1%.

Anyway, we continue.

Destruction is… pleasing? She cannot be in her right mind. It is as though she wishes for the world to end…

This is Chernobog. It is weak to Bless and Fire, uses a bunch of different Physical moves, and can cast Mudoon. It also drains Curse and Ice and blocks Electricity.

This is Baal. It drains and uses Wind, as well as Physical, Matarukaja, and Charge.

I heard there were some others who escaped this place, but they found their way back recently… Wouldn’t it be better if people just lived with the hand they’ve been dealt? How hilarious…
Is she talkin’ about Kamoshida and all the others…? I dunno how to put this… but I’m thinkin’ these people’re more human than the ones in reality…

And besides… it’s going to be happening soon…
So he just wants to see the world from online, huh…? I know how that might feel, but it gets old after a while. I can speak from experience… And besides that, what’s “happening soon”?

So, why don’t you guys come join us? The world’s going to end soon anyway, so you might as well…
When did these people begin to think this prison is a comfortable place to live…?

Ann learns Fire Amp to replace Evade Ice.

Haru also learns Cripple (50% damage boost to Gun attacks, stacks with Snipe) to replace Amrita Shower. Amrita Shower is plenty useful, but here in the endgame we’re generally going to want Maaku to be taking care of ailment relief.

We finally come to our first safe room. This dungeon isn’t terribly long in comparison to the others, but the safe rooms are still spread very thin.

Even though this is the cognitive world, I find it hard to believe this is underneath Shibuya…
It’s known as a city of freedom, both in fun and in fashion…

“Freedom” is certainly a way to describe the fashion of TWEWY, sure.

Yes, it’s a brilliant place. The crosswalk in front of the station is internationally-known nowadays. And yet, people seem to somehow consider it a prison for them…
A city of freedom… Is that really true?
What do you mean?
Like, all Shibuya really is to me is a congested station where changing stops is frustrating… Are the people here really free…?
That aside, how far you think we’re at now, Mona?
O-Oh, let’s see… Maybe halfway…?
Hm, we’ve come pretty far.
But wait… The Treasure feels a lot closer than it ever has before… What’s going on here…?
We did pass through Mementos to get here. It may make sense if we take that fact into consideration.
Welp, we just got another half to go! Let’s get fired up and do this!

The saferoom itself is at a minor fork in the road. We head north and immediately come across another device.

Looks simple enough. Start on A2, south to B2, east to B3, south through C3 and D3, west through D2 and D1, north through C1 and B1, east again to B2, and north to A2.

Uhh, hold on a second. South… West… East… Argh, no!

Thankfully, Makoto’s here to inform us we’re boned.

Huh? Whaddya mean?
Given the room’s shape and number of spots, there’s no mathematical way we can make it all blue.
Then, what do we do…?
I’m not sure… but if this is really a security system, there has to be a way past it.

Makoto doesn’t seem to understand what the purpose of a security system is.

We may want to try checking elsewhere for the time being.

On our way out of this area, we spot this weird indentation. I forget to examine it, but you’ve played enough JRPGs to know that we have to put some manner of doohickey in there.

We head south at the fork this time.

There’s something shining back there… What could it be?
Either way, if it is worth being protected, it should be safe to assume that it’s of value to us. What do you think, Joker? Shall we defeat it and take whatever it is protecting?

Understood!

Hmph, I won’t deny that you’ll need it to continue onward. But mark my words, you’ll never get your hands on it. After all, you’ll have to go through me to do so!

Aaaaaaaagh.

This guy’s weak to Psy and Nuke and drains Physical, Gun, and Curse. He uses powerful Physical attacks exclusively.

He doesn’t put up much of a fight, though.

Hm… What do you think this could be used for…?
Who knows? It’ll prolly come in handy though. I mean, that strong-rear end Shadow was guardin’ it.

I’ve heard there’s a place reserved for the most terribly evil people of them all…
...Do you think that could be the Quarantine Cell we heard about?

Here, any wish can become reality… and isn’t that all anyone wants out of life?
These people really think their wishes are going to come true…?

The platform lowers.

Now, let’s try this again.

South to B2, east to B3, south to C3, west to C2, east to C3, south to D3, west to D2 and D1, north to C1 and B1, east to B2 and B3, south to C3, north to B3, west to B2, and finally north to return to A2.

Simple.

Another one of these massive spirals downward, eh?

We’re so far underground at this point…
I hope we don’t suddenly find ourselves in a giant pool of lava…
Still, we gotta keep going…!

And one more cutscene room.

Doesn’t that cell seem… different from the others?

Music: Disquiet

Supposedly, the most sinful, most dangerous inmate is held within…

This place smells familiar for some reason…
Mona-chan…?

This is it.

What!?

Born…? Inside the prison?
Wait, then are YOU the dangerous inmate!?
No… the inmate wasn’t me…

Someone created me here… To guide all of you…
Guide…? And who is this someone…?
Ngh… I can’t remember… drat it… I’m so close… but my memory is too foggy…
Y’know, hearin’ all this just makes me wanna know what’s inside.

Alert! Alert! Capture them at once!

And the game throws you into an automatic ambush. Bullshit.

The dragon dude uses Fire and Physical (which he can Charge), and the Nebiroses are near-identical to their regular Shadow forms. The only hurdle here is the fact that they get to act first.

Music: Suspicion

Given how important this cell appears to be, the depths of Mementos must be near. Mona’s memories may return if we continue on…
Yeah…
So, we’re finally gettin’ close to the public’s Treasure, huh?
Now that I think about it, it makes sense that Mementos would connect to some place like underneath Shibuya. Everyone crams themselves into packed underground boxes day after day without any complaints… From my standpoint, those are the true inmates of Mementos. It’s no surprise the places are connected.

Really makes u think

You know, the voices of the public may have led the Phantom Thieves on more than any criminal…
Seriously! Let’s hurry up and steal that Treasure so we can crush Mementos!
We truly are reforming society… Let’s go!

Everyone nods.

I guess we’re just leaving the Quarantine Cell behind, then? No way that could possibly be important.

This is Thor. He’s weak to Psy, drains Electricity, and uses powerful Physical and Electric skills. He can also use Tarukaja and Charge, and he has Shock Boost and Elec Amp.

Yusuke replaces Kamu Susano-o’s Heat Wave with Vorpal Blade, which deals Severe Physical to all enemies.

Morgana learns Wind Amp. I replaced Masukunda with it, but immediately realized that I hosed up and actually wanted to get rid of Samarecarm, oops.

The guy on the right is Belial. It’s pretty much identical to its “boss” form, in that it has no resistances outside of blocking Curse and uses Maragidyne, Myriad Slashes, and Charge exclusively.

The only reason you can act so grand is that you live in a safe zone, devoid of possible failure. How does it feel to hear the truth? Are you relieved to know you’ve been fooling yourselves? Now what I really can’t understand is what you call “happiness.” But whatever, I guess. Everyone has their own way to reach it. Either way, stop trying to tell us what to do. This is how we can attain true happiness. I don’t care what you guys think of it. We have no reason to listen to your complaints!

Jesus christ, we get it.

Hm… If you truly believe all of that, then you are free to do as you wish.

It was a fun joke while it lasted, but it’s old news now. Tell me something a little more exciting.
A joke!? Bullshit! Y’know people have actually died from those mental shutdowns, right!? You ever thought of that!?

I’d rather use that time for myself before it’s too late…
There’s no such thing as “time for yourself” in a prison cell. Why are they acting like this…?

How can one who cannot open their eyes be a judge of beauty…?

Another device here. It’s hard to tell in this image, but the platform we’re currently walking on is transparent. This doesn’t actually effect anything in the upcoming puzzle, and it might as well just be a blank tile. I will mark it red in the diagram.

Hm… as we step on more tiles, the lights on them darken.

Still, nothing to worry about. East through A2 and A3, south through B3 and C3, west through C2 and C1, north through B1 and back to A1. Finished.

But what could those patterns on the floor have meant…?
I’m pretty sure I figured it out while I was watching… There was a limitation on this area. You could only change the colors up to ten times. Any more than that and we’d have had to start over.
You solved a puzzle like that on your first try, Joker…? That’s seriously incredible!

Eh, not really. As long as you don’t double back you can’t gently caress this one up.

But Futaba’s correct. Stepping on an eleventh tile will deactivate the whole thing and you’ll have to try again.

And my dreams…? I just have to deal with never seeing them come true. It’s a cruel fact of life.
“Reality is ending”? That is similar to what the others in the prison are saying… What could that mean?

Up ahead, we come across another barrier and another device. We obviously can’t solve this one yet due to the presence of the barrier, but here’s what it would have looked like:

My apologies, but we did not come here seeking approval.

Another device.

West from the start at A2 to A1, south to B1, east from there all the way to B5, north to A5, south to B5, north to A5 again, and west three to return to A2.

And our reward is another thingamajig.

Put it in the slot…

...and activate the device.

There are a couple of ways to do this one, but I did a figure-eight: east from the start at A2 to A3, south to C3, west to C2, north through B2 to A2, west to A1, south to C1, and east to C2, whereupon we use B2 again to reach A2. Please note that the diagram and these instructions are relative to the default camera position when you start the puzzle, not the map. I actually had to go back and remake some of my diagrams because they were inconsistent about this.

Further in, we come across Yamata-no-Orochi. It is weak to Nuke, blocks Ice, and uses Mabufudyne and Oni-Kagura (Medium Physical to the party with a chance of Rage).

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand this is a visit from your IT department, also known as Mara. It blocks Gun, drains Fire, and reflects Curse. It also uses Fire, Curse, Physical, and Almighty.

It won’t matter soon enough anyway…
I see… She doesn’t realize what being governed by someone really means…

Just let me see out the end of this world in peace…
I’m curious as to why everyone believes the world is coming to an end… What could they mean…?

Another puzzle up ahead.

Let’s try this one. West from the start at A3 to A1, south all the way to D1, east to D2, north to C2. Then, west to C1, north to B1, and north to A1… and we’re out of moves.

Are you certain about that?
Absolutely. Taking the shape and number of spots into account, no route could complete that quick. Having said that, there seems to be another device in this room. Why don’t we try that first?

Yes, there are actually three devices in this room.

We’ll start with the third one, all the way to the east (because that’s the one we need to do first).

Start at A2, west to A1, east to A3, south to B3, north to A3, west to A2, east to A3, west back to A2. Easy peasy, and with two moves left.

The device’s platform lowers, allowing us to complete the next puzzle in the sequence.

The platform that lowered was C2. We start at A3, west to A1, south to C1, east to C3, north to A3. Bing badda boom.

And now the obstruction that prevented us from finishing that first puzzle is gone.

One more time, shall we?

Start at A3, west to A1, south to D1, east to D2, north all the way to A2, south to B2, north to A2, east back to A3. Ten moves.

About time… Now we can keep moving forward!
Nicely done, Joker!

And we finally come across another safe room, which means we’re at the end of Mementos Depths.

It seems we’ve made it quite far… What are your thoughts, Mona-chan?
We’re almost to the Treasure… Its presence is really close now…
So the time has finally arrived…
Yup, this is seriously it. Let’s take the public’s Treasure, you guys!
But… what’s going to happen once we actually take it?
I doubt that alone will be enough to make everything right. Still, it is worth going through with…
Mm-hm. I’m sure that everyone’s hearts will change somehow.
It’d be super weird if people all over the city just started crying and apologizing for stuff though!
Well, results are yet unknown, but we have come this far… We must continue onward.

Hell yeah!
The word failure’s not in my dictionary!
This is the end!
The labor we have put in up to this point shall finally come to fruition!
That’s right!
I’m here too, so you guys don’t gotta worry about anything!
Let’s bring all of our hard work to a triumphant close!

Before we continue, let’s do some last-minute fusin’.

Music: Aria of the Soul

First, Cybele from Yamata-no-Orochi and Baal. We have to pay 94900 yen to fuse above our level, though.

I’ll hunt you down and skin you if you dare cheat on me. I’m your mask now… You better be ready.

Cybele is the Phrygian mother goddess of the earth, who is also associated with wildlife (lions in particular) and vegetation. She was a protector of several city-states, including Athens. According to her in-game description, she took Attis, her priest, as a lover, but he was driven insane when he was forced to marry another.

Also on the docket for today, Siegfried from Thor and Byakko.

Your soul shall act as a tool to transform my dauntless might into an unstoppable mask.

Siegfried is the German name of the hero from the epic poem “Das Nibelungenlied.” His original Norse name was Sigurd. He slayed the dragon Fafnir, and bathed in his blood to make himself invincible. However, a leaf that had stuck to his shoulder gave him a weak spot.

Now, let’s head back down and make our approach towards whatever lies at the heart of Mementos.

I feel sick just thinking about it. All I can really do now is ignore it, I suppose.
What a load of poo poo… Hey! The world’s not gonna get better on its own, y’know!

I might lose the one place I belong if I put myself out there… I’m afraid of that happening, so I think I’ll just stay as I am…
Uh, your current situation should be what’s scaring you! How’s he OK with all of this…?

Only one way forward now. What’s that ahead of us…?

It’s so big… I can’t believe there’s such a giant thing all the way down here…
Is everyone’s Treasure inside?
Yeah… That should be the case.
But this bizarrely ominous air about it… It could be likened to a temple of sorts…
Th-There’s no point freakin’ out now! C’mon, let’s go!

And so we descend into the belly of the beast…

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 29, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I was expecting Akechi to be in the Quarantine Cell for some reason.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
A guess: the quarantine cell is for some kind of cognitive version of the PTs. Mirror matchup.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

A pit of brutal nihilism where dreams die and life is revealed as a pointless joke.

This is where the real #Millennials live.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Considering the events of 3 & 4, I'm ready to call bullshit on the whole 'reality is ending' nonsense.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Is Yusuke's dialogue mugshot not loading for anyone else?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Considering the events of 3 & 4, I'm ready to call bullshit on the whole 'reality is ending' nonsense.

I mean for Persona it really isn't out of the question, reality almost ends in every game (and actually does end at the end of 2).

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

GunnerJ posted:

A guess: the quarantine cell is for some kind of cognitive version of the PTs. Mirror matchup.

The other members aside, Maaku does have a prison cell in his head already. Maybe they're more directly related, instead of being two separate metaphors for the chains of society.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Welp, just finished my final* recording session for this LP. It's been quite a ride experiencing this game with you all.

*Not counting any NG+ bonus content I elect to cover

e: Also I've been toying with the idea of doing a bunch of smaller updates daily as we reach the end of the game instead of longer ones every two or three days. Any thoughts on that idea?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sounds like a plan.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

I do like that idea

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Most of the difference boils down to the work required to write the updates, so if you’re comfortable with the increased schedule by all means go for it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, completely up to you, the only real advantage to the update speed is to keep the thread from getting too derailed between updates.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Shorter daily updates are fine with me, as long as you don't burn yourself out doing it!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 183: 12/24: The Heart Of The World

We’ve entered the shrine. What are those veins ahead of us?

It has to be… Let’s go.

The hell is that?

Let’s jump down these “stairs” and check it out.

This is our last opportunity to go back and do anything in Mementos, Mementos Depths, or the shops. We’re going to plow ahead anyway. Never look back.

Music: Desire

And… what’s that thing in the middle?

It appears this is our final destination… the depths of Mementos.
In that case, is the Treasure of Mementos somewhere in here?

I’ve never been here… but I can sense it.

……

But something that large will be impossible to carry out of here.
We just gotta make it disappear, right? If we can’t move it, then we’ll just hafta destroy it!
Yeah… That will work.
Once we do that, the entire Metaverse is going to disappear, right? This is finally it…

Oh, I guess it’s no surprise we’ve been discovered.

Even the inmates are starting to liven up. How eerie… Are they planning something?
That must mean this thing’s gotta be the Treasure. They saved us the trouble of checkin’!
...Hold on. Something’s off.

Shido said the masses are allowing themselves to be held captive here… Could they truly be operating this gigantic system that eliminates iutruders on its own? The prison guards and soldiers were very organized too…
Are you trying to say that someone else rules this place? Is it not the public?

We don’t have time to worry about that! Leave it for later!
All right, guys! We better not lose now!

Boss: Treasure of Mementos?

Music: Rivers in the Desert

Hello, old friend. It’s a pleasure to hear you again.

All right, let’s do it!

Well, it seems our final boss for this evening is a giant… cup. Okay, then.

Let’s start with some Charge and Matarukaja as a show of our new power.

Hey, we’re already making progress. This thing doesn’t have that much health. We’ll be done here in no time.

Ow. Whatever, though. This thing only gets one turn, who cares?

Pff, is this it, you overgrown bucket? You’re not even putting up a fight! I took out a third of your health in two turns, you call yourself a boss!?

Huh? The prisoners are freaking out!

Uhhh…

It seems hopeless if there are this many inmates supporting it…!

Music: Blood of Villain

Who’s that!?

The Treasure’s talking!?

The Holy Grail…
The Prison of Regression is representative of the collective desires of humanity. They wish to be chained down, surrender their cognition, and neglect the world around them… These feebleminded commonfolk will make your “social reform” all for naught. The shared heart of the masses has fallen into an excess of indolence and transformed into a prison.

Thus… the only suitable end for them is to perish within the prison they wished for themselves.

Hell yeah!

Um… Ryuji? I’m not sure if you’re aware, but this is a bad thing!

Boss: Holy Grail

Music: Rivers in the Desert

All right, let’s do this for real this time.

Unlike pretty much every other similar fight in the game, this is technically a continuation of the last fight, so any buffs you’ve applied persist (which I didn’t realize, as you’ll see in the video).

So we have to start over. Whatever, no problem. Let’s do this.

Hmmmm...

We can’t lose! Keep attacking! Huh…? Wait, its color...

Well, let’s try again!

Well, this doesn’t appear to be working.

I knew it. Every time that thing heals, its color changes…

Let’s give it one more try.

All right, good effort, team! Let’s see how the Holy Grail responds…

Not the most surprising answer, but effective nonetheless.

No fair! This is cheating!

Music: Blood of Villain

The prisoners begin chanting.

If this is really how people feel, there’s no way we’ll be able to steal their hearts…

This is horrible…

And there we have it. The final sinner is the entire populace of Tokyo, and their sin is sloth.

My shine is proof that they desire my existence. As long as humanity yearns for me, I shall never perish…
Is this really what everyone wants…? To stop thinking and be guided by the Holy Grail…?

Yes… It’s so frustrating it makes me want to cry… But I… I will never agree!
The humans I look up to aren’t like that…

I’m not the only one who believes that. Everyone here agrees… We don’t want to turn back into the people we used to be! That’s why we risked our lives coming here!
Mona-chan…
He’s right!

I am merely the being that will ultimately grant those wishes. Now, it is time I refrain from my place in this world, and begin to encroach upon reality itself.

Encroach…? What is it gonna do…!?
Hey, this doesn’t look good…!
I’ve got a bad feeling about this…

Humans aren’t all stupid like you say they are!

Ehh, debatable.

*screams of anguish*

It’s vanishing…!?
Hell no…!

...I see… So that’s how it was… I remember everything now…

Morgana seems to have finally regained his memories. But more importantly, what the hell just happened!?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, we're going to try out daily updates until we finish or until I break myself. The reason is twofold: I'd really like to get this thing done before I have to go back to class in a couple of weeks, but also I feel that it would be best to maintain a certain momentum for the ending.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
these translators have an unseemly love affair with the word "arbitrary"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Don't you mean an arbitrary love affair? :v:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Arist posted:

Okay, we're going to try out daily updates until we finish or until I break myself. The reason is twofold: I'd really like to get this thing done before I have to go back to class in a couple of weeks, but also I feel that it would be best to maintain a certain momentum for the ending.

You can't just keep arbitrarily writin' posts on your own like that!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Probably a lazy translation of katte ni.

Edit: Yeah, "arbitrarily" is the first translation listed in the dictionary.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Ne, ne, seihai-kun...

Why yes, I was just playing FGO before I read this update, why do you ask?

That's two major Japanese cultural properties that have gone all in on making the Holy Grail some sort of corrupted near omnipotent wish granting device of some sort. Wonder where that started from, can't have been invented whole cloth by Nasu.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GhostStalker posted:

Ne, ne, seihai-kun...

Why yes, I was just playing FGO before I read this update, why do you ask?
Last I checked, Friendmaker wasn't a giant laser beam. When did that change happen?

Also, to whoever it was who said to keep an eye out for how this game handles the sin of sloth, I definitely did not expect a sentient Holy Grail fueled by the subconsciousness of Japan to be the representation. Even if said form is almost certainly hiding a second form underneath that the party will face once....whatever is happening to Morgana gets cleaned up.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
For a series that nominally tries to represent mythology at least semi-faithfully (or at least gnostically), this sure is a weird-rear end use of jesus' legendary sippy cup

Then again this game already cribbed from jewish mythology without knowing its poo poo, might as well get the supersessionaries in on the action

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

GeneX posted:

For a series that nominally tries to represent mythology at least semi-faithfully (or at least gnostically), this sure is a weird-rear end use of jesus' legendary sippy cup

As I said above, the Fate series seems to have already gone the same way. Sure, Nasu definitely bent tons of mythology to his own personal ends and such to tell his story, but it probably isn't too new of an idea. Yeah, comparatively it kinda is, but I figure Fate is enough of a large cultural property (see FGO printing money for Aniplex) to people who would likely buy this game that the idea probably isn't that out there.

AradoBalanga posted:

Last I checked, Friendmaker wasn't a giant laser beam. When did that change happen?

The demon pillars might count. Sure, they're not exactly the Grail, and seihai-kun is more in the habit of (after Angra Mainyu got to it) vomiting his curse mud of All The Evils of the World instead of beaming people or offering the Friendmaker/Hero Creation Kit to people, but details.

And now I need to get back to trying to clear up to Solomon before all of them are gone. Dammit, I probably won't make it since I'm still halfway through Camelot, and there's no way I'll be able to beat that and Babylonia in time and still enjoy the story, but I gotta try and get as far as I can.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 28, 2018

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:rimshot:

silence2090
Feb 26, 2013

That is disturbingly hilarious. The idea a pun is used as a theme is almost beautiful.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

GeneX posted:

Well its not as if this seems to be the Actual Holy Grail. Just a treasure made up by tokyo's collective unconsciousness. And not all of them would know much about ol' Jesus as a whole.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I should've seen it coming.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's using the Grail metaphorically, as "the thing which everyone seeks."

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Clarste posted:

It's using the Grail metaphorically, as "the thing which everyone seeks."

yeah pretty much, especially as the Grail can only be obtained by a select few - El Dorado in Poe's same titled poem also has the same 'seeking but never obtaining' property.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So... are we trying to free Philemon?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 184: 12/24: Cognitive Decay

*grunts of pain*

Is everyone OK…!?

Dude, we just got shot by a loving laser beam. It’s not a pointless question.

Oh…! Hey, our clothes are back to normal…!

Wait, what? Today was a school day (which I still don’t understand for a few reasons), why are we in our casual clothes?

Music: Suspicion

Huh…? Shibuya…?
We’re back!?

Did we lose…?

No…

It’s kind of difficult to tell sans motion, but it begins to rain.

Something’s off, though…

Erosion (Watch this)

Oh, I see, we changed clothes for this cutscene, now it all makes sense.

Whoa!

Music: Erosion

Is this what it meant by “the fusion”!?

Oh, hey Mishima. How’re you doing?

What’s going on here? What is--

What the hell…?

To think this would happen…

Music: Disquiet

Tch, the hell is this…? What’s going on!? Kaoru… Kaoru!

Is this scenery… for real…?

Oh no… Something wrong’s happened to the world…!

What’s going on here!?

Nah, as weird as this is, we’re still a long ways off from being as creepy and hosed-up as SAO.

Everyone else isn’t seeing this…?

Seems like our Confidants were the only people who’ve been unaffected by this phenomenon.

Hello? Yes, it’s about tomorrow’s preliminary meeting…
The announcement for the new smartphone is tonight!
What were the Phantom Thieves all about anyway?
Oh man, hearing that brings back memories! I feel so dumb for even believing they existed.
It was fun news, though. Well, I doubt anyone believes they’re around anymore.

It’s probably because they don’t feel that it’s odd…

Futaba collapses.

Music: Desire

Ohh… I feel… woozy… Nngh…

Fade (Absolutely watch this)

My… My hand…!

You, uh, might wanna see someone about that, man. Phantom limbs are no minor issue.

No… no…!

Ryuji Sakamoto, the Chariot. Brash, defiant, and the first friend you made in Tokyo. He has a nasty tendency to blurt out the worst thing at the worst time, but you’ve been through a lot together, and he’s never really let you down yet.

His name is lost to the wind.

Ann Takamaki, the Lovers. She’s been with you all this time, but thinking back she didn’t leave much of an impression as one of the more normal members of your band of oddballs. Even so, there’s an unbreakable connection between you, as kindred spirits who’ve both been through hell.

The void takes another, and grows hungrier even as it consumes.

Yusuke Kitagawa, the Emperor. A genuine weirdo. It was always a tossup whether his cluelessness would amuse or grate, but you formed a bond with him nevertheless.

Despair rises in your chest. You want to vomit. You cannot stand, you can only watch and hope that you will not be last.

Futaba Sakura, the Hermit. She’s awkward and strange, but she’s gotten you out of more scrapes than you can count. Plus, she’s family by now, and you wouldn’t have it any other way.

There’s more gaps than remnants, now. Who were you just thinking about?

Makoto Niijima, the Priestess. An early adversary turned irreplaceable ally. You disagree with her career choice, but understand that she’s doing what she thinks is best, and that’s all you can ask of her.

Why are you crying? You can’t answer the question. You feel sad, but without apparent purpose.

Haru Okumura, the Empress. Sweet, but with a hidden dark streak. The two of you formed a deep kinship that eventually became something more.

There’s a hole in your memory, something you know is vital, more important than anything, but what was it?

Because I… brought you all there…?

Morgana, the Magician. His contant smugness was annoying, but his unfailing presence in your life these past eight months has been a comfort, you’re forced to admit.

It’s empty. There’s no one left. You’re alone, and fading fast.

You weakly murmur, “Sorry,” but to no one. It dies unhear-

Well… poo poo. I can’t believe the Phantom Thieves are loving dead.

Now that image right there is some Shin Megami Tensei-rear end bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You may notice I tried something a little different here with that last scene. If you watch the video, the in-game version is really quick and rapid-fire, and I wanted to give it a little more punch and emphasis. Probably won't gently caress around like that too much, just thought it might be interesting.