Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I would rather have 10 episodes every year than 13 every 12-20 months. But the good thing about being a Who fan now is there's enough content with Big Finish to keep me going in the slow times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been good with the ten episode series, it was just a bummer to hear of another delay on top of that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I wasn't commenting on the 10 episodes. I'm fine with that. Just the long delay.

And I think like my point is you guys are probably gonna stay engaged because you're so into the Big Finish stuff and everything but I'll probably gradually forget about it until I hang up my Tardis ornament next December.

So imagine if I wasn't a nerd with a Tardis ornament?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Why not join us Big Finish nerds? A significant portion of them are way better than anything produced on the TV show.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

They do the regeneration on the tardis so they can film it on the most private sound stage to keep poo poo as secret as possible.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I wasn't commenting on the 10 episodes. I'm fine with that. Just the long delay.

And I think like my point is you guys are probably gonna stay engaged because you're so into the Big Finish stuff and everything but I'll probably gradually forget about it until I hang up my Tardis ornament next December.

So imagine if I wasn't a nerd with a Tardis ornament?

Big Finish is cool, embrace Lucie Bleeding Miller

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
New spoilery trailer that gives the game away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbT5t0TTuVw

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I can't believe they revealed Tim Shaw's new raspy electronic voice

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

docbeard posted:

I can't believe they revealed Tim Shaw's new raspy electronic voice

I like it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Finally, we get to see 13 face something that can, should, and hopefully WILL piss her off

Let's go

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Burkion posted:

Finally, we get to see 13 face something that can, should, and hopefully WILL piss her off

Let's go

Maybe lower your expectations a little.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Burkion posted:

Let's go
We have seen 13 incredibly pissed off quite a few times already.

She just doesn't get all shouty/pouty like 10 and 11 did.

12 was always kinda pissed off, if in a more endearing curmudgeonly way, so it wasn't like a switch flipped and he got real angry at a particular thing. 13 has the switch where she's good natured mostly and suddenly gets angry, but her anger is less performative and more, I don't know how to put it, helpful? Like she's trying to be constructive and explain what's going wrong even when she's livid. It's not as flashy, but she doesn't seem any less angry when she needs to be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Her attempts to reason with King James were a good example. She’s absolutely livid with him but does her best to channel that into appealing to his better nature/make him think.

She does that a lot this season, tries her best to make people better despite them constantly letting her down (outside of her “fam”) - tries to be a Doctor I guess would be accurate, and appropriate.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Part of the script from the upcoming episode has leaked!

quote:

The DOCTOR steps in front of a beleaguered squadron of resistance fighters, hands held up.

DOCTOR: Stop! Don't shoot your guns at the Daleks! Do that and you'll be just as bad as they are!

The confused fighters throw down their guns and are immediately lit up by Dalek ray-guns.

DOCTOR: I'm sorry you all had to die, but at least you didn't challenge the system in any way.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I mean mostly you don't want to shoot Daleks because that's never actually solved a Dalek problem in the history of ever, but you know, keep on strawmanning.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Oh, there's plenty of great scenes in Doctor Who that start with the Doctor having everybody put down their guns, and one thing all of them have in common is that none of them appeared in Series 11 and none of them were written by Chris Chibnall.

After this series was over, I went back and watched Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, because I wanted to see if I was remembering it wrong when I called it quite good. I wasn't. It does a pretty good job of handling a large guest cast; there's the three regulars, Rory's dad, Cleopatra, and the hunter dude, and they all get at least a scene devoted to their development. They make sure to have a couple shots that aren't just generic spaceship interior, and the dinosaur effects are basically fine. The Mitchell and Webb robots... don't actively detract from the episode.

And I really kind of like that the Doctor just up and kills David Bradley's character. It wouldn't work if it happened every episode, or even occasionally, but this is a guy that has basically attempted to commit genocide and is probably influential enough to escape any punishment, so the Doctor just... blows him up. That scene could do with a rewrite, sure, but it was really refreshing to see the Doctor actually... do something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Doctor killing David Bradley in cold blood is basically what makes me really dislike that episode despite it being pretty solid up until that point, so different strokes for different folks I guess.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I recall someone I followed on twitter saying they were done watching the show after that episode, if that's how the Doctor was going to be writren now. Which of course it wasn't, but still I wonder how that guy reacted to the news that the guy who wrote that episode would be taking over the show

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I would have preferred it be written somewhat like the Doctor locks homing missiles onto some expensive item that Bradley had been talking up earlier, basically forcing him to jettison his collection or get blown up, but as it is, I don't mind it. It definitely wouldn't work if that was happening every single episode, but Bradley is such a despicable character, and that's the only time Eleven really does something like that, so instead of feeling dissonant and out of left field it gives the ending of the episode some bite.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the Great Intelligence also calls him out on it later?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rochallor posted:

Cleopatra, and the hunter dude

Legit surprised that Big Finish hasn't done a series with them yet, or backstories involving them having previous adventures with the Doctor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the Great Intelligence also calls him out on it later?

Yeah, in Name Of The Doctor everyone's talking about how nice the Doctor is and the Great Intelligence says "tell that to Solomon the trader" a name I'd completely forgotten when I watched that episode the first time :v:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Given how often things go real bad and people die because the Doctor wasn't willing to kill someone who definitely needed to be killed, I don't really mind the rare cases where they actively get someone killed and not in a "villain trips over their own death trap, falls to death" kind of way.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rochallor posted:

Oh, there's plenty of great scenes in Doctor Who that start with the Doctor having everybody put down their guns, and one thing all of them have in common is that none of them appeared in Series 11 and none of them were written by Chris Chibnall.

After this series was over, I went back and watched Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, because I wanted to see if I was remembering it wrong when I called it quite good. I wasn't. It does a pretty good job of handling a large guest cast; there's the three regulars, Rory's dad, Cleopatra, and the hunter dude, and they all get at least a scene devoted to their development. They make sure to have a couple shots that aren't just generic spaceship interior, and the dinosaur effects are basically fine. The Mitchell and Webb robots... don't actively detract from the episode.

And I really kind of like that the Doctor just up and kills David Bradley's character. It wouldn't work if it happened every episode, or even occasionally, but this is a guy that has basically attempted to commit genocide and is probably influential enough to escape any punishment, so the Doctor just... blows him up. That scene could do with a rewrite, sure, but it was really refreshing to see the Doctor actually... do something.

It has a bit of a Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure feel with the big, hodgepodge cast.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thinking of Bill and Ted made me ponder the possibility of a clip show episode in which the Doctor goes back in time and does a bunch of little things that solve continuity errors, plot holes, or narrative improbabilities in earlier episodes, just as Bill and Ted get through a few problems by deciding "ok after this is all over, we'll go steal your dad's keys and then travel back and put them right... here!"

Graham: "What's this then, Doctor? Do you have a to-do list?"
Doctor: "It's just a few necessities I've been putting off. Well, no better time than the present, right?"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Thinking of Bill and Ted made me ponder the possibility of a clip show episode in which the Doctor goes back in time and does a bunch of little things that solve continuity errors, plot holes, or narrative improbabilities in earlier episodes, just as Bill and Ted get through a few problems by deciding "ok after this is all over, we'll go steal your dad's keys and then travel back and put them right... here!"

Graham: "What's this then, Doctor? Do you have a to-do list?"
Doctor: "It's just a few necessities I've been putting off. Well, no better time than the present, right?"

I caught the last bit of Human Nature on BBC America the other day and I like to think that 13 at some point will go let the Family out of their eternal torture traps that 10 stuck them in because she's not that terrifying angry person any more.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

The stupid thing is that the actual trailer itself doesn't spoil who or what it is as obviously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjiTgX6TR5U

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope it's all a feint and the actual villain is Pangol, Child of the Generator.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I hope it's all a feint and the actual villain is Pangol, Child of the Generator.

Hoping for the long-overdue return of the Quarks, myself.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Chumblies, obviously

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Well The Name of the Doctor did basically have The Great Intelligence go back through the Doctor's lives trying to gently caress everything up backwards, and then Clara go through the Doctor's lives trying to set it all back the way it was, and then the Doctor jump into his own lives to go pick-up Clara and give us a John Hurt cameo! What I'm saying is that it was a very weird episode that lead into one of the all time best Doctor Who stories ever in Day of the Doctor which I think I might go rewatch now :hellyeah:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Vinylshadow posted:

The Chumblies, obviously

You would be able to hear the Scottish-accented cry of anguish anywhere on the planet.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Vinylshadow posted:

The stupid thing is that the actual trailer itself doesn't spoil who or what it is as obviously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjiTgX6TR5U

very hype for the return of krasko

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Jerusalem posted:

Well The Name of the Doctor did basically have The Great Intelligence go back through the Doctor's lives trying to gently caress everything up backwards, and then Clara go through the Doctor's lives trying to set it all back the way it was, and then the Doctor jump into his own lives to go pick-up Clara and give us a John Hurt cameo! What I'm saying is that it was a very weird episode that lead into one of the all time best Doctor Who stories ever in Day of the Doctor which I think I might go rewatch now :hellyeah:

I've watched many a Dr. Who episode a few times, some more than others (Pirate Planet), but Day of the Doctor I've now rewatched about 10 times, mostly because John Hurt is possibly the best doctor we've ever had, IMO.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Hoping for the long-overdue return of the Quarks, myself.

If it is not the Hoothi and their silent gas dirigibles I swear I'll do time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

If it is not the Hoothi and their silent gas dirigibles I swear I'll do time.

Holding out for Yartek, leader of the alien Voord, myself.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Man, as much as I loved Pearl Mackie and her season on Who, that whole Monk trilogy was duuuuuumb.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Extremis was good but it really could have been nailed on to the beginning of any two-parter, and the one it did lead into was bad

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mameluke posted:

Extremis was good but it really could have been nailed on to the beginning of any two-parter, and the one it did lead into was bad

Yeah, I enjoyed Extremis, but that should have been a one and done story. If they wanted to push it into a two parter, they could have smashed parts 2 and 3 together into something shorter and more coherent maybe, but Pyramid just felt too much like the Zygon 2-parter, and Lie was just flat out dumb, and completely falls apart the moment you start questioning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Whithouse pissed away the great story hook of "aliens have brainwashed the Doctor". He pissed it down the drain and I wish the character he played in Twice Upon A Time had died