Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
They wanted to bring Danger Dave back but he failed medical :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Really?

And the fancut of Samoa is so superior, just switching out a few Russel things for the secrets scenes makes a huge difference.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Fancut?! I'm going to need a link.

And yeah. I want to say it was a coronary issue but I'm just not sure. The fact of it I *am* sure of, and it's a loving heartbreaker.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Propaganda Machine posted:

a coronary issue

a loving heartbreaker.

:eyepop:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Where did you hear they tried to bring him back? Not saying it isn't true, but everything I've seen from the man himself suggests that he was one of those "brilliant but paranoid as gently caress" people who thought production was actively working against him and hid stuff from them constantly, making him a nightmare to try and make a TV show with.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Heroes Vs Villains is a good season imo. Sandra burning Russell's hat was perfect and overall lot of exciting bits throughout and this reunion ep has me cracking up left and right. Saltiest two time loser possible and can't even for a moment acknowledge that him "playing as hard as he can" means not playing that well since he fundamentally ignores a central pillar of winning.

vvvvvvvvv It was season 20, same one.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 25, 2018

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Which season did he suggest “America picks the winner” rather than the players?

Wooooosh.

I don’t watch Big Brother, but doesn’t the audience get a vote at their things? Which I would think is influenced based on what CBS shows them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The last few of seasons of Big Brother the fans get to vote in secret powers to players (well its always been an element but they're really ramped it up the last few years). Some of them are small but some are pretty game breaking. It's definitely influenced by what the TV show airs but the Big Brother experience is a confusing one since there's different sections of the fanbase who have different wealths of information or group think from the feeds, reports on the feeds, or the show. So it tends to be kind of all over the place and largely theoretical of why Player X got Prize Y. Sometimes its the show edit, sometimes its a massive wave of online fans, a lot of times there's like a spiteful online counter vote to the perceived "mainstream" fan vote, or different voting blocs of obsessed fans working against or with each other, and on more than one occasion the whole thing goes wacky as voters out think themselves or make a mess of it. Big Brother fans are by and large insane.

That's the US TV version. UK version is all fan vote and US did an online season that as all fan vote. But the main show only gave fans a vote when one of the jurors was tossed out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Spergatory posted:

Where did you hear they tried to bring him back? Not saying it isn't true, but everything I've seen from the man himself suggests that he was one of those "brilliant but paranoid as gently caress" people who thought production was actively working against him and hid stuff from them constantly, making him a nightmare to try and make a TV show with.

You know, I thought it came up in here but I think you're right and I was full of it. Apologies.

That said, his Reddit AMA is unsurprisingly the single best thing I've read all day.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 25, 2018

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

The last few of seasons of Big Brother the fans get to vote in secret powers to players (well its always been an element but they're really ramped it up the last few years). Some of them are small but some are pretty game breaking. It's definitely influenced by what the TV show airs but the Big Brother experience is a confusing one since there's different sections of the fanbase who have different wealths of information or group think from the feeds, reports on the feeds, or the show. So it tends to be kind of all over the place and largely theoretical of why Player X got Prize Y. Sometimes its the show edit, sometimes its a massive wave of online fans, a lot of times there's like a spiteful online counter vote to the perceived "mainstream" fan vote, or different voting blocs of obsessed fans working against or with each other, and on more than one occasion the whole thing goes wacky as voters out think themselves or make a mess of it. Big Brother fans are by and large insane.

That's the US TV version. UK version is all fan vote and US did an online season that as all fan vote. But the main show only gave fans a vote when one of the jurors was tossed out.

If I remember correctly, the first season of BB USA was also audience vote, but the audience voted out everyone interesting and the season was boring so they changed to their current format.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, true. I never really remember/factor in the first season since it was such a completely different show and I guess knockoff of the UK one. Its also was like daily episodes like the foreign versions I've seen.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

You know, I thought it came up in here but I think you're right and I was full of it. Apologies.

That said, his Reddit AMA is unsurprisingly the single best thing I've read all day.

What? They didn’t pay him at all?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Khanstant posted:

Heroes Vs Villains is a good season imo. Sandra burning Russell's hat was perfect and overall lot of exciting bits throughout and this reunion ep has me cracking up left and right. Saltiest two time loser possible and can't even for a moment acknowledge that him "playing as hard as he can" means not playing that well since he fundamentally ignores a central pillar of winning.

vvvvvvvvv It was season 20, same one.

I'd just like point out some of the things you said:

Khanstant posted:

Umm yeah I was bout to edit that post to say, wowza. I actually skipped ahead after the immunity challenge and I'm now going back to see what drama played out to result in this double idol play. I loved Parvati before but hahaha what a boss. Special bonus to hear Sandra so delighted to receive her idol gift and Parvati handing them out like Santa Claus. I feel like this totally makes up for any coattail riding flak she got on her winning season. I would totally love for her to win this again, even though I totally wanted Amanda to in their season. Don't think it'll happen because she just blew her big wad but kind of opens herself up as a huge target and plus I just kind of think they wouldn't let somebody win twice? Though I suppose they could have a final 2/3 of all winners or just winner(s) with some hated peeps.

Nice prediction there. :allears:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

UK reality TV is bad mainly because viewers can vote in almost every show. We have I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here that is sort of like Survivor except not really at all. Some of the challenges are mad but most are just people having to interact/ eat bugs.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Fancut?! I'm going to need a link.

And yeah. I want to say it was a coronary issue but I'm just not sure. The fact of it I *am* sure of, and it's a loving heartbreaker.

I honestly don't remember where I found it -- pm me somewhere we could discuss :files: ?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd just like point out some of the things you said:

Nice prediction there. :allears:

Hahaha yeah, waaaay bad on that prediction. Two winners and a person who can't win. I would've preferred a Parvati win because she made better moves and had more game this time than the season she won, felt like she deserved it more. Though much credit to Sandra for basically doing the same thing twice and winning both times and no credit to Russell for doing the same thing twice and losing both times the same way. Pretty nice contrast of winning strategy vs. get-to-the-end-because-lol-youre-an-rear end in a top hat-who-cant-win.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

To be fair Russell didn't even know he lost Samoa until after filming on HvV finished. It's not like he had 100% certainty that his Samoa game was a failure and he played the same way anyways.

Now granted, because its Russell even if he did know he probably still wouldn't change things too much but still.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

he played the exact same game in redemption island and got voted out for it

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

he played the exact same game in redemption island and got voted out for it

With the key difference being that his tribe mates had the ability to watch his previous seasons this time around as opposed to "HvV" when they were going in blind.

Then again, Boston Rob's tribe mates had presumably seen his seasons before yet were somehow willing to let him waltz to the easiest and most uncontested win in the history of the show, so there's that, too...

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Raxivace posted:

To be fair Russell didn't even know he lost Samoa until after filming on HvV finished. It's not like he had 100% certainty that his Samoa game was a failure and he played the same way anyways.

Now granted, because its Russell even if he did know he probably still wouldn't change things too much but still.
The dude lost Samoa 7-2, it wasn’t exactly a close vote and not even close to being on his favor. If he didn’t know he lost that just reflects even worse on him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Fast Luck posted:

The dude lost Samoa 7-2, it wasn’t exactly a close vote and not even close to being on his favor. If he didn’t know he lost that just reflects even worse on him.

Amanda didn't know that she'd lost China when she played Micronesia, either. That's the problem with playing back to back, you don't have a chance to really figure out your mistakes.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Christian has a 3 hour long form interview on RHaP

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I hope we hear about the movie his gf watched on the plane ride home.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I didn't know that, what's that timeline? It seemed like some people knew of Russell's reputation?

Season 21 off to a weird start. This lady puts sand in some dude's shoes and hides em in the water, buty it wasn't like a weird Russell chaos strategy, she was just mad because people were talking about her previously erratic behaviour. Seems like a prime candidate to make to the end while being crazy and annoying the whole way.

edit: oh boy, this is just a big drama season all around. first tribal council for the young tribe :O They kept several drama sources on the tribe and got rid of the toxic piece of poo poo shannon dude first.

Naonka holy hell.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 27, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Khanstant posted:

I didn't know that, what's that timeline?
Samoa Filming: June 11th - July 19th, 2009
Heroes vs. Villains Filming: August 9th - September 16th, 2009
Samoa Finale: December 20th, 2009
Heroes vs. Villains Finale: May 16th, 2010

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Raxivace posted:

Samoa Filming: June 11th - July 19th, 2009
Heroes vs. Villains Filming: August 9th - September 16th, 2009
Samoa Finale: December 20th, 2009
Heroes vs. Villains Finale: May 16th, 2010

Filming is that tight?? So Russell had only a few weeks to get his strength back before going back on the island? Not that he was whithering away out there, but that's gotta be exhausting

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wasn't there one player who did the back to back seasons who we could see was transparently losing it? I want to say maybe David?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

If it's okay to ask now that the season's over, what was the potential game winner spoiler post that got shut down on pages 39-40? Was it related to the realvegas4sure (big brother spoiler account) tweets that still haven't borne out?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It was something about the winner not being able to show up to the reunion due to breaking their NDA or something. Which naturally pointed to Kara. Pretty sure that’s what it was.

Right or wrong, spoilers and rumors, especially those that reveal placement, have no place in this thread.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

Wasn't there one player who did the back to back seasons who we could see was transparently losing it? I want to say maybe David?

I'm not sure how many players did back to back in the first place (also David only played once aside from the upcoming one).

There's Russell, Amanda, Zeke, Michaela. Can't remember off the top of my head if anyone else fits the bill.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not sure how many players did back to back in the first place (also David only played once aside from the upcoming one).

There's Russell, Amanda, Zeke, Michaela. Can't remember off the top of my head if anyone else fits the bill.

Malcolm went back immediately for Caramoan after Philippines.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
James also played back to back, same as Amanda.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
^That wasn't quite the same as the later players though. They started filming seasons back to back in the same location from 19-20, which meant that there the latter players like Russell Zeke and Malcolm only had 2-3 weeks off between filming. Whereas James and Amanda had over 2 months

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

JesusSinfulHands posted:

^That wasn't quite the same as the later players though. They started filming seasons back to back in the same location from 19-20, which meant that there the latter players like Russell Zeke and Malcolm only had 2-3 weeks off between filming. Whereas James and Amanda had over 2 months

i mean two months still isn't a whole lot of time

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There's some fun tidbits in Christian's RHAP interview.
  • He did not trust Gabby at first and was actually thinking of voting her out before the "play in the sand" scene. That was when she (and to an extent, the game) 'clicked' for him.
  • His vote for Mike came down to overall agency calculation. He made a line graph charting agency throughout the game; Nick's peak was way higher-- highest of anyone in the game--but his valley was way lower, whereas Mike was more stable, and he had more agency in the endgame, where things are most dangerous. He maintains the choice between them was difficult, and that he did not regard Nick as any kind of goat.
  • If existing wealth was a factor in people choosing whether or not to vote for Mike, Christian didn't hear about it at Ponderosa. It certainly wasn't a factor to him.
  • It was, however, a factor for Mike, who seemed very conflicted at FTC and at one point literally said he wasn't sure he wanted to win. Christian thinks this lost him at least one vote.
  • He maintains that going after Carl was the right move at the time, as any one group gaining too much power or getting a "comfortable" majority would mean trouble for him. It was just his execution on the following votes that did him in; he should've be a way to make Gabby feel more credited, and he undervalued Davie as an extremely loyal ally who might well have been willing to go to the end with him.
  • Final 7 was the first time all game that he really started to feel the elements, and supposedly you can look at him in his final episode and see just how drained he is starting to look.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
A line graph for agency in the game of survivor is the most Christan thing in the world. Interesting way to look at it though. He's not wrong that Nick had basically none at the end while Mike arguably had it all.

I wonder if Mike could have actually won if he had gone all out at ftc. It felt like he held back some and that pretty much confirms it. I don't think I blame him for feeling conflicted. It's kind of an awkward position to be in. Maybe he just didn't think he'd make it there or hoped it would just be all Goliath.

I still think I would have voted for Nick but maybe it was even closer than it appeared.

Adus fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 27, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think part of it is that a lot of people come in and want to play like Russell or Parv or Tony or whoever but that's actually kind of tough for a lot of people. Its not easy for everyone to not give a poo poo or leave it all out there or separate game from person or whatever. When it came down to it I think Mike just didn't have it in him to be the "villain" or manipulator and try and sell it as the winning game strategy.

I think what's interesting to me is how Nick seemed to be trying to play the same way in a lot of ways, but it didn't really work out that way for him either. He obviously wanted to play this backstabby game of multiple alliances and but game and personal relationships really drove him to the Davids and then a lot of what happened after that was clearly driven by his emotions and circumstances. He really played the second half of the game with his heart on his sleeve - for good or bad - and that doesn't seem like the game he was going for.

I think it all speaks not only to how difficult the game is and how its much harder to be a "gamebot" then most fans think but how much the game really is just adapting to what happens and who you're playing with.

And I'm still kind of curious if Mike would have been more comfortable going for it against Kara or Alison. It seems like it could have worked more there since neither were as proactive players as Nick or have quite the same backstory he has, but at the same time they were both well liked, positive people so it seems like it might have been the same basic hurdle for Mike not wanting to have to try and bury them and look like an rear end in a top hat.

RE: Christian, I really like that he kind of questions his own handling of Gabby and if he could have made her feel like she was getting more credit, and that he thinks he misread Davie. Basically I just like it when players can critique themselves instead of blaming others and production and editing and whatever else. Like the way Christian and John react to the game differs so much from how like Jeremy and Angelina did. Granted, they were defensive and that plays a factor but I just really appreciate when a player can step back and say "yeah, I should have done that differently." Especially unprompted. I gotta check out that interview.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

It was something about the winner not being able to show up to the reunion due to breaking their NDA or something. Which naturally pointed to Kara. Pretty sure that’s what it was.

Right or wrong, spoilers and rumors, especially those that reveal placement, have no place in this thread.

The rumor was that production was giving Mike White his :420: during filming.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wow, this Christian interview is long but totally engaging. I'm an hour and 45 minutes in and I need to stop for life but its really, really interesting. And its not even half over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I’m saving it for my flight home. Excited for it.

But it’s going to be preceded by WhyXLost and I absolutely can’t stand Jessica Lewis.