Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mukip posted:

Is it even possible to get Marienburg before Bretonnia does anymore? Now Empire has to tank it's reliability early on by declaring on the coward Leoncour.
In unmodded Mortal Empires I take it every time. "Every time" is many times because of restartitis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I also play Mortal Empires a lot but not unmodded and on VH/L I have a very specific order in which I do things. If I don't do things that way, things go tits up.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Maybe I just got unlucky a few times on vanilla L/VH, but Louen took Marienburg by turn 3-4 before I had chance to do anything every time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So I'm up to turn 80 as Empire (the same playthrough that I have been posting about what feels like weeks now) and I just got the "Chaos is coming to destroy civilization" and all the powerful Elves and Dwarves are offering Defensive Alliances, which I have started avoiding because anyone I am ever in an alliance with ends up at war with someone I have a NAP with which tanks my Reliability. Is this Chaos thing that big of a problem that I should be accepting the alliances? I am a turn away from finishing off the last of the Vampire Counts. I own all of Reikland, Wasteland, two other whole Empire provinces plus several other settlements, as well as all of Bretonia north of Parravon and Carcassone. I have 6 full armies running around, including two floating around the Sea of Claws/Gulf of Kislev stabbing every Norscan they can find/burning down their settlements when they re-settle them (or laughing at Middenheim when they re-settle the lovely frozen wastes).

edit: lol, Kislev is finally willing to trade, right when I'm getting ready to wreck their poo poo. They have Eschen, Waldenhof, Essen, Wolfenburg, and Salzenmund....and I have a combined 5 armies ready to march on them. I'm guessing that the Chaos armies are going to come through them and they are now scared shitless?

Mukip posted:

Maybe I just got unlucky a few times on vanilla L/VH, but Louen took Marienburg by turn 3-4 before I had chance to do anything every time.
Oh yeah, I havent been on the harder difficulties yet, this is still my first playthrough and I doubt that I'll ever get to play enough to crank the difficulty up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 26, 2018

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If a non-Empire faction takes over an Empire land it is the duty of Franz to do everything to take it back including bankrupt the realm, losing reliability, and die trying.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

jokes posted:

If a non-Empire faction takes over an Empire land it is the duty of Franz to do everything to take it back including bankrupt the realm, losing reliability, and die trying.
Murder Kislev, got it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So I'm up to turn 80 as Empire (the same playthrough that I have been posting about what feels like weeks now) and I just got the "Chaos is coming to destroy civilization" and all the powerful Elves and Dwarves are offering Defensive Alliances, which I have started avoiding because anyone I am ever in an alliance with ends up at war with someone I have a NAP with which tanks my Reliability. Is this Chaos thing that big of a problem that I should be accepting the alliances? I am a turn away from finishing off the last of the Vampire Counts. I own all of Reikland, Wasteland, two other whole Empire provinces plus several other settlements, as well as all of Bretonia north of Parravon and Carcassone. I have 6 full armies running around, including two floating around the Sea of Claws/Gulf of Kislev stabbing every Norscan they can find/burning down their settlements when they re-settle them (or laughing at Middenheim when they re-settle the lovely frozen wastes).

The chaos invasion will trigger a big opinion bonus between all order factions (humans, dwarves, (non-dark) elves, lizards). This can lead to a cascade of alliances between said races, and it's unlikely that they betray each other during the invasions. It's the End Times after all. Once you've beaten chaos, the alliances fall apart and the game devolves to global total war.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Specifically, every faction loses all their diplomatic traits and instead gain Aggressive and Unreliable, which are self-explanatory.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Torrannor posted:

The chaos invasion will trigger a big opinion bonus between all order factions (humans, dwarves, (non-dark) elves, lizards). This can lead to a cascade of alliances between said races, and it's unlikely that they betray each other during the invasions. It's the End Times after all. Once you've beaten chaos, the alliances fall apart and the game devolves to global total war.

I think Wood Elves also don't get an opinion bonus - the assholes only care about their forest.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Merry Christmas y'all, made an update to Green Iz Best for you Yuletide slackers who wish to crush the world as Green Bois!
(it uses the beta patch fully now so be aware of this)

Happy murdering and happy holidays!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Playing as zombie pirates is a blast, but man does it suck when you are just trying to play raid focused and the post victory movement that your hero takes after a successful Seige battle is onto the land rather than back out to sea.

My Saltspite run went from going pretty well, to "this beginning is going to suck" quite fast when raiding the walled city north of the start position. I had raided the small town and in response, a full stack got moved down from the northern city. I then raided said city, established a cove, and then became trapped on land due to the cliffs along the sea edge.

I ended up having to march back down to the first town to get back in the sea and might have forgotten to turn off forced march when I got close to the full stack. My army is currently shredded and I only have a single promethian remaining from my special starting units.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Okay so you can take Marienburg before Bretonnia does on L/VH as Empire, but you have to be in a position to lay siege to it by turn 3 (because Louen always takes it on turn 4). This means you need to go west with Franz/Gelt on turn 1 and capture Eilhart from the rebels on turn 2 instead of Grunburg. If Toddy doesn't hate your guts then you should be able to get a military access deal out of him on the first turn.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
There should be a lord skill that gives you easier amphibious movement.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
An underway type stance that let you go straight from land - water or vice versa would be amazing, and suit Wulfrik well (give him a horde like ship whose unique building gives him this stance).

Currently the common limitation underway type stance has is that it must start and end on land. But having one that could be triggered on water would be useful to attack a coastal city normally well protected by cliffs- I imagine the Seafang carries the army over on a tidal wave or blizzard or something.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

An underway type stance that let you go straight from land - water or vice versa would be amazing, and suit Wulfrik well (give him a horde like ship whose unique building gives him this stance).

Currently the common limitation underway type stance has is that it must start and end on land. But having one that could be triggered on water would be useful to attack a coastal city normally well protected by cliffs- I imagine the Seafang carries the army over on a tidal wave or blizzard or something.

Or just a faction ability that gave you a drastically reduced/no movement penalty from moving to/from water. That would be amazing for Lokhir and the Norscans.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Lokhir should be represented by a Black Ark that can travel on land via a litter of slaves carrying it on their backs like ants carrying a watermelon.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Gejnor, Green Iz Best won't work with non-beta WH2 :( hardlocks on launch

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ammanas posted:

Gejnor, Green Iz Best won't work with non-beta WH2 :( hardlocks on launch

quote:

(it uses the beta patch fully now so be aware of this)

:v: A ton of mods at the moment are using the beta patch, which I heartily recommend if only to escape the cove crash bug.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

jadebullet posted:

Playing as zombie pirates is a blast, but man does it suck when you are just trying to play raid focused and the post victory movement that your hero takes after a successful Seige battle is onto the land rather than back out to sea.

My Saltspite run went from going pretty well, to "this beginning is going to suck" quite fast when raiding the walled city north of the start position. I had raided the small town and in response, a full stack got moved down from the northern city. I then raided said city, established a cove, and then became trapped on land due to the cliffs along the sea edge.

I ended up having to march back down to the first town to get back in the sea and might have forgotten to turn off forced march when I got close to the full stack. My army is currently shredded and I only have a single promethian remaining from my special starting units.

Aranessa just kind of has a rough start since Tilea is so well established at game start and tier 1 vampirates chug poo poo.

Actually the nice thing about getting your rear end kicked is that there's probably enough casualties to use Raise Dead there and recruit an endgame deathstack.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm definitely rusty, but anyone have luck in Steel Faith 2 as Greenskins in Mortal Empires? My Black Orcs and Grimgor are performing beautifully but I'm having some serious obedience problems which would be fine were it not multiplied with the Green Tide mechanic. I just got the Big Un building up along with Trolls though so I'm in a weird situation where I'm actually building pretty tall since Ive just got 1 province under my control.

Meanwhile Dwarves have confederated 3 times by turn 20.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 27, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I haven't played Steel Faith since I got into Luckys Overhaul. How is it? I never played it in WH2.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Its gonna take some time to get a feel for it. I'm fighting Dwarves today so that'll be a decisive point for me.

Lucky's is definitely next on my list.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 27, 2018

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Acute Grill posted:

Aranessa just kind of has a rough start since Tilea is so well established at game start and tier 1 vampirates chug poo poo.

Actually the nice thing about getting your rear end kicked is that there's probably enough casualties to use Raise Dead there and recruit an endgame deathstack.

I felt aranessa wasn't too much worse then any of the other coast starts, I'd just get 1 vampire caster 4-5 mortars and fill the rest with sartossa free company(no fatigue loss is real awesome for climbing walls in sieges) plus a couple handgunners and with that I could mow down Tilea and any other aggressive neighbours without any issues. I'd also get rid of most her starting units, deck gunners aren't too useful early game plus they cost a lot of upkeep and the grenade guys are just trash.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

TaintedBalance posted:

Does anyone feel that the universal corruption that comes in later in the game as chaos starts spawning is actually meaningful? It mostly just ends up being a kind of annoying tax on my games, and I'm thinking of just modding it out, but I'm wondering if there is something about it I'm missing.
Does anyone feel that corruption is a lame mechanic? It mostly just ends up being a kind of annoying tax on my games.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like how you can make the land change with chaos and vampiric. Of course this means I always kill clan moulder in my chaos warrior games but whatever.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That is kinda neat, though I wish 10% vampiric corruption didn't make everything within 50 miles of a city look like the moon.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Crotch posted:

Does anyone feel that corruption is a lame mechanic? It mostly just ends up being a kind of annoying tax on my games.

It's bad and not fun

Especially since the AI handles it so poorly that difficulty bonuses have to make them nearly immune to cover it up

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Seriously, this is rear end.

I'm glad it didn't gently caress me over in this case, but whenever it does in a bad spot, it's always goddamn infuriating.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So when confederated why does Boris' avatar change to a lame mask-down guy? Are there any mods that fix this/let him have his unique weapons in single-player?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
If you opt in to the coast_beta branch then Boris starts the game with all of his items and abilities in single player.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
My Empire game in the coast beta branch has me with most of the Empire consolidated by turn 85, with greenskins as #2 with 24 settlements. They own all of the badlands and all of the dwarf holds other than Ungrim and Thorgrim's start positions, and I'm guessing well south into Not Africa since I've been sacking my way through the badlands for 5 turns with no responding armies. The dwarfs have been cowering in their two cities for a dozen turns and won't come out no matter what neighboring settlements I sack or raze for them to come settle. Like, I'll sack the next place in the province for them, and instead of coming and taking it the next turn they just come and sack it again? Whatever dummies, just loving sit in your caves, I'll save the world.

Aranessa owns all of the old Border Princes and Tilean lands, the Dreadfleet seems to own a significant chunk of Elftown with Tyrion having basically Lothern and Caledorn to his name, Avelorn owns the entire inner ring of Ulthuan and the entire outer ring appears to have been razed by Norscans. This game has been a wild ride, by far my favorite Empire attempt. I just wish I could set war coordination targets to help the loving dwarves take cities that I knock down for them so that they can get going again. I want to be able to leave that flank alone and let the dwarves hold back the greenskins so I can focus on fighting vampirates and elves and poo poo.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
I love, love LOVE absolutely LOVE the new subtle audio queues added for most races:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUmh0HBWd9k

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gejnor posted:

I love, love LOVE absolutely LOVE the new subtle audio queues added for most races:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUmh0HBWd9k

holy poo poo that loving owns

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Welp, gonna have to do a dwarf run now and grudge everything

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I am so tempted by this game with it being at 50% off or whatever, I'm not huge into my Warhams but Skellies and Dinos do own. Though my rear end old GTX760 is gonna explode playing this I think.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I don't know if it was recently added, but I've had Skaven about "shameful display" :3:
Also TK monster artillery owns during sieges for clearing walls.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Flipswitch posted:

I am so tempted by this game with it being at 50% off or whatever, I'm not huge into my Warhams but Skellies and Dinos do own. Though my rear end old GTX760 is gonna explode playing this I think.

I built a new PC recently, but my old PC had a 560ti and it ran the game at a playable framerate on low settings. I did a few campaigns.

I dunno, give it a shot and request a refund if it doesn't work.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Flipswitch posted:

I'm in the process of upgrading it because it's dying, but I had the same video card and the game ran fine on ultra. Granted, with overhauls and certain armies /custom maps it could get insanely choppy, but unless you have ten thousand skeletons clattering around in a giant deathball you'll be fine.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I use an old GTX750ti, you'll be fine unless the thing is literally about to explode. It won't run super great under stress, but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Hmm,maybe I killed my video card by forcing it to render twelve thousand rats storming a custom siege maps consisting of five square miles of greebly bits lol.