Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

I didn't say goonfleet I said goonswarm.

When I say goonfleet I refer to the dream that was goons in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
checking mmorpg.com and sorting by free to try out something new

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
"There will never be a meaningful goon presence in EVE" - Extremely wrong person - evegoons channel, 200X.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MMOs need a wild west element or there's literally nothing to them you couldn't get out of playing other games with more focused content. It needs to be possible to fail a task in a MMO--a task that requires at least some knowledge, skill, experience, and especially cooperation. Meaningful player interaction must not be limited to instances. MMO stories must not be about NPCs.

Unfortunately, the largest MMO, itself slowly failing, is going in the opposite direction, and so goes every other MMO as a consequence.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Unfortunately, the largest MMO, itself slowly failing, is going in the opposite direction, and so goes every other MMO as a consequence.

i don't think this is true. I am almost certain there are more people playing minecraft than playing Wow right now

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

MMOs need a wild west element or there's literally nothing to them you couldn't get out of playing other games with more focused content. It needs to be possible to fail a task in a MMO--a task that requires at least some knowledge, skill, experience, and especially cooperation. Meaningful player interaction must not be limited to instances. MMO stories must not be about NPCs.

I mean, let's be fair: it's a risky business proposition to spend all this money making an mmorpg to let goons of all people drive the narrative and be the most important characters

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

WOW and MMOs like it was never really wild west though

Sure you'd get the occasional city raid or a fun corrupted blood exploit but 99% of the people playing weren't there for that, they were there for all of the amusement park poo poo

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

WOW and MMOs like it was never really wild west though

Sure you'd get the occasional city raid or a fun corrupted blood exploit but 99% of the people playing weren't there for that, they were there for all of the amusement park poo poo

I had a lot of fun around the fringes of what was allowed (but still possible) in vanilla/TBC wow, things like kiting world bosses around and taking over the roof of the orgrimmar auctionhouse w/ my AB team for as long as we could hold out while we waited for queues to pop. By the time I quit they had fixed everything, often just by lazilly putting +10 level elite guards with ranged knockbacks everywhere, aka quality new content

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sardonik posted:

"There will never be a meaningful goon presence in EVE" - Extremely wrong person - evegoons channel, 200X.

lmbo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I wonder if LOTRO is still around. It was pretty groundbreaking when it first came out, you could level up by growing weed in Hobbiton.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
there should be a new harvest moon. but with weed

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yeah. I don't like survival games but I think it's cool that a lot of popular games games like that and Battle Royale have essentially stripped away most of the rules and let players interact however they want. Personally I usually need a bit more structure than that (although I do like BR tbh) but I like the idea that unpredictable elements are becoming more commonplace in games instead of everything being totally structured.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

hachi machi, game devs need to be beaten about the face and neck with old hardware until they remember what "optimization" means, there is no reason for soul caliber 6 to require a goddamn 1050 outside of laziness or actual malice

it uses the same engine as fortnite which runs fine on hardware basically equivalent to potato clocks, and it only ever renders two player models at once, what fuckin gives

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

food court bailiff posted:

hachi machi, game devs need to be beaten about the face and neck with old hardware until they remember what "optimization" means, there is no reason for soul caliber 6 to require a goddamn 1050 outside of laziness or actual malice

it uses the same engine as fortnite which runs fine on hardware basically equivalent to potato clocks, and it only ever renders two player models at once, what fuckin gives

Japanese and eastern european devs are often lousy with optimization. also ubisoft.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Yakuza games are good but goons are weirdly obsessed with them and i don't know why. I bet if you took the exact same style and gameplay and put it in 1960s Britain rather than 1980s Tokyo they would get criticised for bland combat and ps2 era mechanics but the Japanese setting seems to give it +2 on the /10 scale.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ChazTurbo posted:

Japanese and eastern european devs are often lousy with optimization. also ubisoft.

its like, ANTI-optimized, I turned a bunch of settings and the resolution way down to try to get more frames out but it somehow made the game run significantly slower HOW DO YOU EVEN DO THAT poo poo

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

CrRoMa posted:

Yakuza games are good but goons are weirdly obsessed with them and i don't know why. I bet if you took the exact same style and gameplay and put it in 1960s Britain rather than 1980s Tokyo they would get criticised for bland combat and ps2 era mechanics but the Japanese setting seems to give it +2 on the /10 scale.

No one would buy the concept of a limey Brit as a tough guy gangster. Half the charm is the anime level absurdity played straight by stone-faced macho men.

Oy guvnah I learnt a new skillery doo I did I did

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Um, hello, Michael Caine

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SpazmasterX posted:

No one would buy the concept of a limey Brit as a tough guy gangster. Half the charm is the anime level absurdity played straight by stone-faced macho men.

Never saw Snatch, etc?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yakuza 1 is like somebody looked at Shenmue and said, hey lets make this good and then they were never ever ever allowed to improve things to the point where were like 10 titles deep in this franchise and their combat system is still terrible.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Its the combat that gets me most with Yakuza, it feels like streets of rage or golden axe or something

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

CrRoMa posted:

Its the combat that gets me most with Yakuza, it feels like streets of rage or golden axe or something

Those games ruled

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

wasn't there a poo poo game that was a guy Ritchie movie

they mapped all of london for some reason

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Whorelord posted:

"The Getaway", a ps2 game that was forgotten about the next year?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

Isn't that the core conceit of AC Syndicate?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Why do modern gamepads have these weird glossy or "silky" plastic textures? They feel great to the touch but when you're actually playing games with them they tend to heat up and feel gross to the touch. I think it's because it's not a smooth surface, it has air pockets and they tend to fill up with sweat or hot air? I don't know, I swear my hands aren't even sweaty but it still doesn't feel as great as a nice matte finish and I'm OCD about this kind of poo poo.

Both the new Xbone controllers and the Switch pro controller do this thing where the body of the controller has a a good matte finish that stays cool but the grips have that weird texture that feels too warm after 15 minutes. A regular Xbox 360 controller feels much better cause it doesn't try to do anything fancy. Hell even a Snes controller feels nicer to the touch.

At least the Switch pro controller has easily detachable grips so I can just replace them.

Elman fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 25, 2018

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Whorelord posted:

yeah, iirc it was the first open-world game where they actually went to the effort to use a real map. before that (Driver, Midtown Madness) it was always a crude approximation with a couple recognizable landmarks thrown in, but The Getaway actually included all the streets for the parts of london it mapped, and used a ton of digital photography for texturing the environment. also a neat game mechanic: there was no city map, but your turn signals would flash when you needed to turn. this was deffo a love-it-or-hate-it feature though, as was pretty much the entire rest of the game. it was fun, but once I beat it I never picked it up again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You also had no healthbar, and recovered by leaning on things for a while.

The sequel is what killed the franchise, the original game was bloated expensive but the sequel got zero traction despite reusing the city map.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
In Sonic Mania if you run out of lives you have to start the whole level over again, and some of those levels are really long. God drat, dude. I know it's a 90s throwback, but drat, it's soul crushing to start some of those levels over again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ChazTurbo posted:

I'm sure they're good with optimisation when it comes to fitting a game onto consoles. It's only pretty recently that Japanese devs have started making regular PC versions of their games, so not surprising that they don't understand the importance of optimisation and/or don't have the expertise and/or don't care. With eastern european devs I think it's basically budget issues. And with Ubisoft it's laziness because they consider the PC port an afterthought.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Rutibex posted:

There was a very interesting wormhole invasion in EVE recently. wormhole space is very easily defensible because you can control the holes in/out of your system and most holes won't allow capital ships through. but someone (a goonswarm ally) was able to sneak hundreds of battleships into the top wormhole corporations base of operations and log them off in space for later. the holes are only open from his area like once a week, so it took over a year of sneaking in these ships.

once the ships were in he called on his Corp mates to come man them, outnumbering the "invincible" wormholers 10 to 1. hundreds of people in the hole. rather than fight the "elite pvp" wormhole Corp blew up their capital ship for the insurance money :v: only in EVE online. the devs never planned anything like this, they just make some mechanics and let's people do what they want with them.

i hope it was hard knocks that got dicked on because holy poo poo those guys were huge cowards

My unpopular opinion is that eve is secretly one of the best games ever made. nothing else has ever come close to the sheer depth, even disregarding all the alliance/high level system control stuff individual fights were these intense, super strategic battles full of split second decision making, glorious david-vs-goliath victories and crushing defeats.

Too bad the engine sucks poo poo

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm sure they're good with optimisation when it comes to fitting a game onto consoles. It's only pretty recently that Japanese devs have started making regular PC versions of their games, so not surprising that they don't understand the importance of optimisation and/or don't have the expertise and/or don't care. With eastern european devs I think it's basically budget issues. And with Ubisoft it's laziness because they consider the PC port an afterthought.

It varies but there're been a good amount of games that've been poorly optmized on both consoles and PC. Nier automata being a good example for japanese and some of the more recent rear end creeds as well for ubi. oh. Also monhun. that's poo poo show regardless of the platform.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

abigserve posted:

i hope it was hard knocks that got dicked on because holy poo poo those guys were huge cowards

My unpopular opinion is that eve is secretly one of the best games ever made. nothing else has ever come close to the sheer depth, even disregarding all the alliance/high level system control stuff individual fights were these intense, super strategic battles full of split second decision making, glorious david-vs-goliath victories and crushing defeats.

Too bad the engine sucks poo poo

I don't think there's any MMO with a good engine.

ChazTurbo posted:

It varies but there're been a good amount of games that've been poorly optmized on both consoles and PC. Nier automata being a good example for japanese and some of the more recent rear end creeds as well for ubi. oh. Also monhun. that's poo poo show regardless of the platform.

I'd chalk that up to all around laziness, running out of budget, being rushed to release or some combination of the three.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the forced optimization is honestly one of my favorite parts of console games. i don’t have to give a poo poo about my hardware, and they have to give a poo poo about my hardware, which is the polar opposite from pc gaming

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This War of Mine kicks rear end and deserved more credit than it got. For every critical raving I've seen of it, ten dweebs dismiss it for being indie bullshit or whatever but it's ace as gently caress. Great balance of gameplay/narrative that actually feels meaningful without being tedious and it's a really solid way to kill 10-15 hours of your life. And it looks great too.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

veni veni veni posted:

This War of Mine kicks rear end and deserved more credit than it got. For every critical raving I've seen of it, ten dweebs dismiss it for being indie bullshit or whatever but it's ace as gently caress. Great balance of gameplay/narrative that actually feels meaningful without being tedious and it's a really solid way to kill 10-15 hours of your life. And it looks great too.

:emptyquote:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm sure it's good but that name is so dumb. The war is not yours. A war is not something one can have.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

I'm sure it's good but that name is so dumb. The war is not yours. A war is not something one can have.

Why the gently caress not?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I've only seen people say its too grim for them, which is how I feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Best part of it was that it bankrolled Frostpunk which is an absolute delight.