Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Potato Salad posted:

Patch your AD controllers and any other MS DNS systems newer than Windows 2008r2 asap if you don't like people easily running pretty much anything as NT\SYSTEM remotely and I think without very clear logging

Have they disclosed if the vuln doesn't apply to 2008r2, or that they just haven't backported the patch (again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Here is the CVE: https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2018-8626

2008 R2 is not listed

E: https://www.thezdi.com/blog/2018/12/11/the-december-2018-security-update-review
There are a handful of other significant CVE's that are in December's patch.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 14, 2018

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

The Fool posted:

Is there a specific thing happening?

Other than having to have a client license for every machine that queries it, probably not.

Edit: orrrr there's a heap overflow.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

kensei posted:

I thought the best way to totally erase an Android phone was to encrypt it then factory reset it? Most people have encryption on but that's an important caveat.

Is your threat model someone who will attempt to recover deleted content from a micro SD card after the partition has been reformatted?

If not, factory reset by itself is fine.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/BradleyAllen512/status/1073544852363714561

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
Seems like the real issue is that the maximum password length is 9 characters, and it's case insensitive. Allowing extra characters when logging in is quirky but doesn't have a meaningful impact on security.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"I've seen this in a couple other financial institutions like 4-5 years ago. What it ended up being was a character limit at the backend that wasn't represented in the UI. The backend gets input too big and truncates to known length, hashes, and compares against known value."

It sounds like they have a "secret character limit" and that person's password isn't actually as long as they think it is.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"I've seen this in a couple other financial institutions like 4-5 years ago. What it ended up being was a character limit at the backend that wasn't represented in the UI. The backend gets input too big and truncates to known length, hashes, and compares against known value."

It sounds like they have a "secret character limit" and that person's password isn't actually as long as they think it is.

Right, which means that you've got 8 char, at probably 7 bits, or 8 if you're lucky. You know they're not salting it, and the hash is like 3DES at best or something. Enjoy your 56-64 bits of search space when they're inevitably popped.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I found a few things specifically naming a 9 character limit. A secret limit would indeed be pretty bad but I don't know if that's the case here.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Dylan16807 posted:

I found a few things specifically naming a 9 character limit. A secret limit would indeed be pretty bad but I don't know if that's the case here.

Doesn't seem unlikely to me, this is surprisingly common.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Mystic Stylez posted:

I'm going to sell one of my dad's computers and Android mobile phone, so I want to wipe them before doing that.

- For the HDD, is there any alternatives to DBAN where I can still use the computer while doing the wiping of the non-OS drive?

If you're still looking for responses, a Windows full format will overwrite the entire drive with zeros, so you can do that on your second disk while still using the computer. This is what a single DBAN pass would do anyway, and is perfectly fine for a disk wiping process.
Note that I don't mean a quick format. The formatting process should take hours rather than seconds.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mystic Stylez posted:

I'm going to sell one of my dad's computers and Android mobile phone, so I want to wipe them before doing that.

- For the HDD, is there any alternatives to DBAN where I can still use the computer while doing the wiping of the non-OS drive?

- For the SSD, if I do an ATA Secure Erase, how much of the drive's life expectancy will be lost?

- For my Android mobile, what's the procedure I should do? I don't have a slight idea.

Android's factory reset is pretty hit and miss with actually really deleting stuff. Cellebrite can recover a pretty shocking amount of crap off a factory reset Android. But, very few people are going to forensically examine your device to retrieve your cat photos. Google hard reset and your device model and you'll probably be fine. Encrypting the volume and resetting is also a good suggestion. While you're in recovery mode, wipe the cache partition and whatnot as well.

With iPhone, do a soft reset with the settings menu. Once it finishes, turn it off, hold down the home or volume down key whole turning it on to get into DFU mode, and do a factory reinstall by plugging it into iTunes and following the prompts. I can confirm you're not going to find any data after doing that.

That being said, I don't believe most people will bother going to that depth trying to recover anything off a used device. If you really care, software like Piceasoft will overwrite the free space after a factory reset for full data sanitation.

I haven't really tried much, but my understanding of SSDs is that once the bit is flipped on the flash memory, it's gone forever. It's not the same recovery potential like platter hard drives. A full format (not just a quick one) should honestly do the trick, unless you're worried about state level actors, in which case you're screwed anyways. I don't think you would substantially impact the lifecycle by a single pass erase.

Hard drive, a full format or two is probably good enough. Encrypt and wipe the drive for extra peace of mind. Try using some file recovery software to verify the deed is done.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

With iOS, doing an Erase and Reset from the settings menu should do the trick. It basically erases the personal/app data and then tosses the encryption key away on top of that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dylan16807 posted:

A lot of places still use an 8 character lanman hash for stuff. My ISP’s webmail for one thing. Front load your entropy!

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

I haven't really tried much, but my understanding of SSDs is that once the bit is flipped on the flash memory, it's gone forever. It's not the same recovery potential like platter hard drives.

Modern hard drives are the same. Individual bits are barely stable in the first place, and a single write is enough to wipe out any hope of recovering the previous data.

A few remapped sectors might slip past, still, but that's what a direct ATA erase command is for.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

OSU_Matthew posted:

I haven't really tried much, but my understanding of SSDs is that once the bit is flipped on the flash memory, it's gone forever. It's not the same recovery potential like platter hard drives. A full format (not just a quick one) should honestly do the trick, unless you're worried about state level actors, in which case you're screwed anyways. I don't think you would substantially impact the lifecycle by a single pass erase.

Hard drive, a full format or two is probably good enough. Encrypt and wipe the drive for extra peace of mind. Try using some file recovery software to verify the deed is done.

Always ATA Secure Erase in both cases and everything will be gone, including spare sectors.

OSU_Matthew posted:

While you're in recovery mode, wipe the cache partition and whatnot as well.

Factory reset wipes the cache partition as well, but can't hurt. Probably some crazy devices out there where it doesn't.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Lambert posted:

Doesn't seem unlikely to me, this is surprisingly common.

Every time I see this it is because of SOX compliance written as 'passwords must by x char in length', instead of 'at least x char'. Then to comply with audit...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

porktree posted:

Every time I see this it is because of SOX compliance written as 'passwords must by x char in length', instead of 'at least x char'. Then to comply with audit...

the one place i've seen it, while sox compliant, assigned passwords when you changed yours.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

porktree posted:

Any auditor worth their salt looks past this though

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

geonetix posted:

Any auditor worth their salt looks past this though

I can't wait to meet that one.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Android's factory reset is pretty hit and miss with actually really deleting stuff. Cellebrite can recover a pretty shocking amount of crap off a factory reset Android. But, very few people are going to forensically examine your device to retrieve your cat photos. Google hard reset and your device model and you'll probably be fine.

Have you done this with Cellebrite yourself? I've used it a lot on phones, but I don't recall trying it on a factory resetted phone, and certainly not on enough different makes/models to be a representative set. But if you've noticed it yourself I'd love to hear more detail.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Gromit posted:

Have you done this with Cellebrite yourself? I've used it a lot on phones, but I don't recall trying it on a factory resetted phone, and certainly not on enough different makes/models to be a representative set. But if you've noticed it yourself I'd love to hear more detail.

Yup, at my last job we were able to pull things like pictures of whiteboards, contacts information and messages, and some other stuff with Cellebrite on a variety of factory reset Androids. This was on devices that had been certified as clean by the company or agency's IT too.

Even old blackberries wouldn't fully delete apps and some other information when doing the "secure" reset. We didn't even put those through Cellebrite at the time, we just opened it up and boom there's your texts, phone number, and several apps you have to manually delete or overwrite. I don't recall whether we found anything on iOS before doing a full reimage, but they had the fewest issues on the forensic end.

I would imagine newer androids with full encryption would be better, I just haven't seen the forensic examination to say so.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yup, at my last job we were able to pull things like pictures of whiteboards, contacts information and messages, and some other stuff with Cellebrite on a variety of factory reset Androids. This was on devices that had been certified as clean by the company or agency's IT too.

Even old blackberries wouldn't fully delete apps and some other information when doing the "secure" reset. We didn't even put those through Cellebrite at the time, we just opened it up and boom there's your texts, phone number, and several apps you have to manually delete or overwrite. I don't recall whether we found anything on iOS before doing a full reimage, but they had the fewest issues on the forensic end.

I would imagine newer androids with full encryption would be better, I just haven't seen the forensic examination to say so.

When was the last time you tried this?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

With iOS, doing an Erase and Reset from the settings menu should do the trick. It basically erases the personal/app data and then tosses the encryption key away on top of that.

That's my understanding as well, it junks the encryption key, turning the storage into noise

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

apseudonym posted:

When was the last time you tried this?

Last time I personally tried this was about a year ago. But, just as a caveat, the phones tested were probably about twoish years old at that point, like Galaxy six and a few other models I don't specifically remember off the top of my head. Unfortunately I don't work there anymore so I couldn't tell you what things are like currently, other than a general takeaway and the resulting process for securely erasing devices based on the findings.

I don't believe we were able to find any test files on windows phones, though that ship has sailed anyways.

To me it's more interesting from the perspective that everything is a dumpster fire :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Android has changed a LOT since the S6, just FYI

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Android has changed a LOT since the S6, just FYI

The S6 was just before the mandatory encryption requirements, if my memory serves, but I would have expected them to have had it (though given my experience with celbrite's Android claims they probably talked up the SD card something fierce since that isn't wiped in a factory reset).

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The S6 had encryption as an optional feature only, not enabled by default.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Lambert posted:

The S6 had encryption as an optional feature only, not enabled by default.

And if you enabled it, it performed even worse than before lol

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

And if you enabled it, it performed even worse than before lol

Insert rant about microbenchmarks not being indicative of actual device performance

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

apseudonym posted:

Insert rant about microbenchmarks not being indicative of actual device performance
Insert rant about benchmarks not being useful except to show differences between version 0.02 and 0.03 of a piece of software that has been built with the exact same flags (unless you're testing the compiler), when the software is running on bare-metal (unless you're testing the hypervisor), and with all sources of jitter removed (ie. in single-user mode), as well as simple stuff like running the tests multiple times and feeding the results through something like ministat to show min, max, median, average, and distribution plus standard deviation and Students T.

EDIT: Except I guess I kinda just did rant, didn't I. I can't explain why benchmarking wrong makes me so irrationally angry, and I don't like that it does, but it does all the same. :(

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 23, 2018

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

EDIT: Except I guess I kinda just did rant, didn't I. I can't explain why benchmarking wrong makes me so irrationally angry, and I don't like that it does, but it does all the same. :(

It makes me angry too I just don't let it rile me up too much ;)

The amount of bullshit around encryption performance isn't just bad benchmarking and ignoring amdahls law but also hurtful to deploying real meaningful security improvements, though we eventually forced through it

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks for the extra info. When I'm back at work next year I'll chat with my team and get someone to do some testing.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

apseudonym posted:

The S6 was just before the mandatory encryption requirements, if my memory serves, but I would have expected them to have had it (though given my experience with celbrite's Android claims they probably talked up the SD card something fierce since that isn't wiped in a factory reset).

Right, YMMV and I'm sure newer phones and versions of Android are better about this, especially with mandatory encryption. Not to mention that as a threat vector, someone forensically testing your used factory reset devices outside of an interested state actor is probably pretty drat slim when there are so many easier ways to target an organization or individual.

This is more from a point of interest regarding what a dumpster fire things are, and to just be careful/be aware that older devices can be leaky in ways you didn't even think of.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Any Tenable Nessus users here using it to report compliance to templates from Security Center? Either roll-your-own, or the canned templates (SOX, PCI DSS, HIPPA/HITECH, etc.). Looking for good/bad reviews before I try to force security to devote project hours.

Thx

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The biggest problem I have with Nessus or other compliance report tools are not so much the tool. It’s the uncritical way a lot of security teams use it, divorced from any context of architecture and dependency constraints.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Imo it's related to security becoming a business issue rather than an engineering issue.

I'm currently running into an issue where our governance team (policy and legal analysts) wants to implement policies that broadly affect our engineering teams but that don't contribute in any way to actual risk reduction because the customers they interface with don't care about nuance or architecture and just want to check a box so they can buy our products.

It's extremely frustrating for me because killing engineering velocity to check a box for customers drives away good engineering talent and turns an extremely agile org into a ponderous beast. From a personal perspective it's also disillusioning and not at all the reason I joined the infosec field.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
The problem is you're not evaluated on reality, you're evaluated on whatever the auditor thinks. It can be internal audit, 3rd party doing your annual 3402 SOC 1, a QSA doing PCI, whatever. They want to see documentation you have a security policy, appropriate controls, and that you follow them. The thing is that running a Nessus report using whatever Tenable calls a "HIPPA Compliance Template" is something you can wave at an auditor based on an arguably *independent* evaluation.

Yeah it's probably mostly meaningless, but ticking boxes means not having red flags in your goddamn audit findings. Those cost *money*, **now**, to fix. And customers get real pissy when you're in material breach.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well you see, red X's are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Clearly lying to auditors is the most viable and prudent path forward