Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Majorian posted:

Powerful painting too.:unsmith:

The painting is saying the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jack2142 posted:

Summary execution by disco theme firing squad.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Jarmak posted:

All of this is true but none it tells me why two years probation isn't an appropriate sentence.

Given that it was a semi auto pistol he had to have that bitch cocked when he went there. It takes effort to pull the slide and him picking it up by the grip isn't enough by any chance. This is not safe or responsible no matter who you are. You NEVER carry a gun cocked unless you are in a situation where you have to use it.
Two years probe is extremely light considering he did that. Even 19th century cowboys knew better and would carry with the hammer closed on an empty chamber

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 26, 2018

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it turns out remembering the past is useful, in the discussing politics game.

next time you decide to brag on someone's reliability, maybe pick someone who was not presented to a lot of desperate people as a savior, and who then rang in the new year by telling them "lol nevermind get in the detention camps kids i'm told it might look bad if i pushed the issue of your being human beings"

i genuinely did not recall if you were one of the people crowing about how -childish- the latino representatives questioning if she'd be able to deliver were. i merely recall the event.

it was not, perhaps, the finest hour of Team Trust The Leadership.

That doesn't change the fact that the things you're posting are extremely not normal and you have legitimate mental problems

I don't know what exactly they are but you concern me with nearly every post

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

friendbot2000 posted:

It is just so goddamn hellish...how do you gently caress up Christmas decorating this badly?

"I was a fashion model so I know fashion and style better"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Arglebargle III posted:

I know this was a while ago but has anyone noticed the Soviet Union isn't on here? There's no way Italy or Canada had a larger economy than the USSR in 1966.

It's just World Bank members, right?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

The painting is saying the same thing.

Yes, I'm aware of that. It's an interesting way of conveying the message at this particular moment in history, though. Don't be pedantic.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

I don't think theflyingorc was one of them, but this is genuinely something that happened. Folks were incensed that Luis Gutierrez didn't place his faith in Pelosi and Schumer's ability to make a deal with Trump and hold him to it.

So your definition of a centrist is anyone who, when they hold no chambers of congress, and neither of the other branches, cannot force a deal.

That's definitely not a dumb as gently caress standard.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

So your definition of a centrist is anyone who, when they hold no chambers of congress, and neither of the other branches, cannot force a deal.

That's definitely not a dumb as gently caress standard.

I'm not sure what my definition of a centrist has to do with anything, Fulchrum.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

I know this was a while ago but has anyone noticed the Soviet Union isn't on here? There's no way Italy or Canada had a larger economy than the USSR in 1966.

A command system economy presents some challenges to accurate GDP measurement in relation to non-command system countries. Specifically, the large second economy is entirely unaccounted for, and the official reports are likely distorted due to intra-party pressures and propaganda efforts. Anything they put in there wouldn't really be measuring apples to apples.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Majorian posted:

Don't be pedantic.

I'm not trying to be. What's she's done there is a very, very hard thing to do successfully. And she's done it, not somebody else writing it for her.

My brain is saying, "This person has it."

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Merry Christmas Pol goons. Out here on the wet west coast I spent a lovely day with family and reading the book my wife gave me (the Beastie Boys Book - if you’re an 80s kid read it and play a song from the bands that get mentioned, holy poo poo) and I just finished playing Mario + Rabbids and realized I didn’t think about the tangerine toddler once today. A Xmas loving miracle. On to tomorrow we go!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

I'm not trying to be. What's she's done there is a very, very hard thing to do successfully. And she's done it, not somebody else writing it for her.

My brain is saying, "This person has it."

Fair enough, I was just commenting on the painting, completely independent of AOC's comment. (which is extremely good and makes me even more hopeful for her political future) I think it's a good one. The contextualization of the Holy Family as refugees has always struck me as, well, super appropriate.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Majorian posted:

I'm not sure what my definition of a centrist has to do with anything, Fulchrum.

It was the conversation being had before certain posters decided to rant

Your missing that is excusable though

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I know it’s because one is from a video and the other is from a photographer who knows what they’re doing, but it still feels significant that the shot of Michelle Obama is so much more colorful than the one of Trump.

Only the Trumps could make the White House look like the hotel from the shining.

https://twitter.com/jkramon1313/status/1077754869702950912?s=21

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

SocketWrench posted:

Given that it was a semi auto pistol he had to have that bitch cocked when he went there. It takes effort to pull the slide and him picking it up by the grip isn't enough by any chance. This is not safe or responsible no matter who you are. You NEVER carry a gun cocked unless you are in a situation where you have to use it.
Two years probe is extremely light considering he did that. Even 19th century cowboys knew better and would carry with the hammer closed on an empty chamber

It has been a minute since i watched this video, but if memory serves me right, it was a glock, which has a double trigger safety which means no safety at all in most situations. Condemning his gun safety is tantamount to questioning the gun safety practices of glock and LEOs. Glock: America's Gun is a pretty good book about both these things.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

It was the conversation being had before certain posters decided to rant

Your missing that is excusable though

Yes, my apologies Marjorian.

Majorian posted:

Fair enough, I was just commenting on the painting, completely independent of AOC's comment. (which is extremely good and makes me even more hopeful for her political future) I think it's a good one. The contextualization of the Holy Family as refugees has always struck me as, well, super appropriate.

I mean, even Delonas has done that. Its not exactly an original concept.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Fulchrum posted:

I mean, even Delonas has done that. Its not exactly an original concept.

:lol: I said I found a painting powerful, and you're going to try to argue with me on that?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh my god there’s a dedicated Musk thread?

ahem

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fulchrum posted:

The shadows of the chandeliers also make it look like paint is faded and peeling on the walls, which only adds to the effect.

Oh man, you're right. It's like they found every visual cue they could to steal from Hollywood when it's making sure the audience knows that Ebenezer Scrooge or the ancient spirit in a haunted house is a Bad Person and thought somehow it made Trump look more personable. Long shadows and dim lighting. The ghoul king and his queen/right hand woman sitting alone. The sterile display of wealth that's obviously just for looks and no one uses the area to actually live. The creepy painting of a dead predecessor in the background (Okay it's an excellent painting of Lincoln, but fits the "painting of long dead ancestor/previous position holder" quite well).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

SocketWrench posted:

"I was a fashion model so I know fashion and style better"

I mean, her designs are legitimately striking and interesting. I actually love them, but I also have Christmas and forced cheer and all the bullshit that comes with this holiday. So anything that subverts those norms is great.

But I mean, that's not what the White House Christmas display should be about so loving lol

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

osker posted:

It has been a minute since i watched this video, but if memory serves me right, it was a glock, which has a double trigger safety which means no safety at all in most situations. Condemning his gun safety is tantamount to questioning the gun safety practices of glock and LEOs. Glock: America's Gun is a pretty good book about both these things.

Yes, but at some point this dude said "I'm gonna take a gun to a dance. I'll load a mag and chamber a round". That's my point. He went in quick draw and oops, shot someone.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

squirrelzipper posted:

Only the Trumps could make the White House look like the hotel from the shining.

https://twitter.com/jkramon1313/status/1077754869702950912?s=21

Built by slaves, and home to an almost continuous stream of rapists and genocidal maniacs. WH is haunted as fuk

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Failed Imagineer posted:

Built by slaves, and home to an almost continuous stream of rapists and genocidal maniacs. WH is haunted as fuk

If I remember correctly Melania was on the ball and had the place exorcised...

actually I seem to recall reading that White House exorcisms have been a pretty regular thing as new families move in.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Interweb posted:

ok some of these have to be photoshopped right

https://twitter.com/w3ph/status/1077716214053400576

The mad king Trumpgaryon

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Arglebargle III posted:

Stereotype posted:

A command system economy presents some challenges to accurate GDP measurement in relation to non-command system countries. Specifically, the large second economy is entirely unaccounted for, and the official reports are likely distorted due to intra-party pressures and propaganda efforts. Anything they put in there wouldn't really be measuring apples to apples.

I don't think it's anything as sinister as that, really. I'd wager it's because the USSR did not calculate its GDP at all. GDP is defined under the System of National Accounts standard outlined by the UN and World Bank. The USSR instead utilised Net Material Product defined under the Material Product System standard. The two are similar in principle, but slightly different in practical calculations, with one huge, glaring difference: the NMP completely ignores the services sector.

There are some tools for approximating GDP out of NMP (rule of thumb is NMP in the USSR for most of its existence was around 3/4 of what its GDP would have been), but it's still an imprecise estimate rather than an actual economic value. There's also the matter of the price indices - to calculate GDP or NMP, one must have an idea of what is a "fair price" for a given commodity in a given country, and in command economies the governments considered money to be much more fungible than it actually is.

(Also, whenever you see those big sudden jumps that the graph goes to such lengths to display as gradual changes? All of them were caused by changes to GDP methodology rather than actual economic developments. Italy overtakes the UK in 1987 because it starts including an estimate of the black market and the underground economy, increasing the country's GDP by 20 percent overnight - this practice eventually became the standard. Also, China's GDP until like 2005 is an estimate, because China did not take part in price surveys until then, nor did India. However, I presume the results of 2005's survey are somehow retroactively included in the chart already, since it resulted in cutting China's GDP down by 40% in 2007, and that's just not there in the graph.)

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

The mad king Trumpgaryon

You've heard of Twitter? The mad president was obsessed with it. He loved to watch Fox and Friends , the way their skin whitened and cracked and stretched against their bones as they praised him. He insulted Republicans he didn't like. He insulted Majority Leaders who disobeyed him. He insulted anyone who was against him. Before he was elected, half the country was against him. Trump saw traitors everywhere. So he had his fleshcrawler place blame for a shutdown on the Democrats, on the set of Face the Nation. Undermining housing, transport, food safety. Even stopped the costs for the White Keep itself. Finally, the day of reckoning came. [All this bit omitted to stop the Secret Service paying me a visit] Then he... turned to his Fleshcrawler. "Build the wall" he said.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

hexate posted:

Pages back, but one line from Nathan Robinson's takedown of Jordan Peterson really stuck with me. (https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve).

This doesn't just describe Peterson, but the contemporary conservative movement as a whole. Peterson, like countless other mainstream crypto-facsists today, disguises himself as a libertarian free-thinker - but structures his philosophy to avoid establishing concrete and provable pillars, so that it may both act as a gateway drug to the alt-right readers, and to reinforce the existing alt-right groupthink. Notice that he, himself, advocates a "death-of-the-author" interpretation of his own work!

On a broader note, how did we (as a nation/society/culture) get here? Our news media establishment has framed national politics as a right-vs-left truth-in-the-middle ideological battle over the last 30 years, instead of focusing discourse towards how policies benefit or harm us. Corporate medias' focus on quarterly gains has paved the way for media consolidation and the subsequent presentation of ideological political battles which utterly omit the long-term impact on voters/media consumers of any policies.

How can we combat this? The bedrock of conservative politics is deceiving voters about the true goals of their (conservative) policies, and profiting from these lies. Ultimately, modern conservatives are advocating policies which do not benfit their constituents. Bring this to light, repeatedly, and isolate them from their voters. It may not be possible to talk a Trump-ist into voting for a Democrat, but Republicans thrive on the false dichotomy pushed by the news media; highlighting this lie will depress Republican turnout.

There's a lot of problems but the main ones are people are really, really bad at thinking critically in this country. We are largely anti-intellectual, philosophy and the arts were highly derided as something to pursue 20 years ago, when I was college-aged. I'm not surprised 20-30 somethings have turned out unable to spot grifters and deal with nuance. Racism in this country is so bad I doubt it will vanish even with the population more educated - so we have to keep pushing equality into the culture, the BLM has done an amazing job of getting people into politics and people of color into political positions. Quite a few leftist YouTubers have turned people around and got them out of the alt right, by essentially teaching them things about critical thinking and racism, etc so we could use more of that.

Most of all we need to give them something to live for other than feeling so miserable they need to take it out on others. There's a reason the New Green Deal is popular with most Americans. People WANT to feel good, useful, and challenged, but the right wing politicians and grifters are doing everything it can to keep people stewing in toxic habits like conspiracy theories, racism, being scared of literally everyone else, desperately groping for answers from people who project confidence that they have all the answers.

e: for clarity

thin blue whine fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 26, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The whitehouse Christmas displays are an extremely average displays any large mid class department store would have and no trump actually designed any of them and it’s been this threads tan suit crisis every time it’s posted.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The whitehouse Christmas displays are an extremely average displays any large mid class department store would have and no trump actually designed any of them and it’s been this threads tan suit crisis every time it’s posted.

No this is comically wrong. You're right that the actual decorations are generic in that sense, but their overall use and in particular the fact that everything is minimally lit with harsh flourescent lighting is absolutely weird af

e: probably actually lit with completely white LEDs or some of the least warm CFLs ever

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 26, 2018

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Also people in this thread saying they're hilarious and soulless is in no way comparable to the scale of the media hysteria over Obama wearing a..well, normal suit.

Besides. A lot of people are even saying they look good, just maybe not appropriate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

No this is comically wrong. You're right that the actual decorations are generic in that sense, but their overall use and in particular the fact that everything is minimally lit with harsh flourescent lighting is absolutely weird af

e: probably actually lit with completely white LEDs or some of the least warm CFLs ever

It’s lit exactly like a fashion runway would be lit. Because Melania is coping with the stress of being First Lady* of the United States by mentally regressing to her super model days and just living there until the nightmare is sufficiently over for her.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I think those displays are awesome and the only good thing to come out of this nightmare timeline. Dunno why everyone is always dunking on them. Comparing them to the tan suit is spot on.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The book tree in the library was pretty sweet.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I think the Christmas decorations would go down a lot better if there was any sense at all of joy or goodwill coming out of the White House to go with them. If they were being unveiled with an impish smile by a president with a soul then I’d probably be totally on board as a neat subversive take on the whole thing. But it’s from Trump, who’s pretty much the living breathing antithesis of Christmas spirit. So it doesn’t come off as a subversive take so much as an outright attack. “Oh, so you thought I would give you something pretty to look at for Christmas? Unleash the festive offal piles.”

In terms of actual reasons to be mad at Trump it doesn’t even make the top thousand, I just think it’s perversely funny how he has to warp everything he touches.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The Addams Family was a comedy partly because Gomez and Morticia were obviously madly in love with each other. The macabre aesthetics acted as an ironic contrast rather than enhancing a horror premise.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Every time Melania's decorations are posted most people like them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Every time Melania's decorations are posted most people like them.

????????

Proof?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pollyanna posted:

????????

Proof?

I think they are loving metal and people here usually agree.

I'm not sifting through a bunch of pages tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Not exactly surprising, but..
https://twitter.com/tripgabriel/status/1077887564663656449?s=20