Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

my morning jackass posted:

Gris looks sick but I know nothing about it.

it's short and there's no difficulty to the platforming but it's unbelievably pretty. basically just 4 hours of cool art vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

it's short and there's no difficulty to the platforming but it's unbelievably pretty. basically just 4 hours of cool art vibes

that actually sounds pretty perfect, gonna use Christmas gift cards towards it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Tales of Woe posted:

It's rad.

I thought it was just going to be a 2D walking simulator but you unlock abilities and solve puzzles which help keeps you entertained as you progress. The art and the music is top notch,

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

goferchan posted:

Did you not like it? I think it's pretty good. The really really fast pace and ramp-up reminds me of Nuclear Throne a little
I really wanted to like it but they made some terrible design decisions in early access that hosed it up.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The SteamWorld games are probably the best original indies of this generation but I hardly ever see anyone talking about them, it's a drat shame

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh yeah Steam World Dig 2 kicks rear end, I wish it were longer though. It's not "too short" it's just fun enough that I was still left wanting more

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Just going through the downloadable games was fun. I purchased the following games:

Yoku’s Instant Express (I played the demo and this game is awesome)
Monopoly (my wife loves playing this game)
South Park the Stick of Truth (I have always heard this game is fun but I have not had a game system since I purchased the WII in 2006).

But I added the following games to my wishlist:
Hollow Knight
Hello Neighbor
God Doodle
Gris (I agree that this game looks beautiful)
Fitness Boxing
Mars Explorer (I cannot remember the actual name but this game comes out next week and it looks like a lot of fun)

Also, I know that you earn gold coins for purchasing games which then becomes a penny per coin discount. Is there anything that is worth it for the platinum coins you get doing random stuff on their website (besides wallpapers, online game guides and software for the Wii U or 3DS)?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
zelda picross if you can still get it ... i think its 1000 platinum coins

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the best indie pixel roguelite is still Risk of Rain but dead cells is pretty cool too

:hai:

Also into the breach is good. Praying to the hoipe gods that ftl gets a switch port

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't understand the love for Dead Cells but I might just be bad.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
its not great. every run is basically exactly the same despite the entire game being procedurally generated

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the combat feels really good and there's lots of weapons and items that are cool. good sound design

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SciFiDownBeat posted:

the combat feels really good and there's lots of weapons and items that are cool. good sound design

you get the freeze kamehameha item and the game is won because it's so laughably broken and everything else sucks rear end in comparison, to the point where i dont want to unlock anything else because it diminishes the chances of getting it. also the permanent stat upgrades mean the game is designed so that you have to die against unreasonably strong enemies over and over until the game lets you progress because you grinded enough.

it sucks because i really like how it looks and feels but its not a good game. in the gb goty talks Danw as talking about how much he loved it and mentioned he beat rogue legacy 4 times in a row and it was his goty of that year which lmfao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

extremebuff posted:

it sucks because i really like how it looks and feels but its not a good game. in the gb goty talks Danw as talking about how much he loved it and mentioned he beat rogue legacy 4 times in a row and it was his goty of that year which lmfao
Jesus Christ

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's rogue legacy with better graphics. And rogue legacy is a huge turd, and not a cool one like Binding of Isaac

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

extremebuff posted:

oh my god

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I can understand criticism of Dead Cells but please do not compare it to Rogue Legacy, which is simply horrid.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

rogue legacy came out the same year as revengeance and mario 3d world

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm glad I'm finally seeing people dump on rogue legacy. that game sucked rear end in a bad way.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm glad I'm finally seeing people dump on rogue legacy. that game sucked rear end in a bad way.

from the esteemed creators of don't poo poo your pants

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

extremebuff posted:

you get the freeze kamehameha item and the game is won because it's so laughably broken and everything else sucks rear end in comparison, to the point where i dont want to unlock anything else because it diminishes the chances of getting it. also the permanent stat upgrades mean the game is designed so that you have to die against unreasonably strong enemies over and over until the game lets you progress because you grinded enough.

Freeze in general and the freeze hadouken in particular are being nerfed in the next update. There's a lot of good rebalancing and qol changes coming in the update, and I respect the devs for their communication and responsiveness to their fans. I can see why the permanent upgrades mechanic and procgen maps would turn some people off. Tbh I don't play dead cells much anymore and I'm just waiting for the update to dive back in but I enjoyed the game for a little while.

Rogue legacy was indeed terrible imo

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Phantasium posted:

from the esteemed creators of don't poo poo your pants

Don't poo poo Your Pants was brilliant, it's a shame what happened next

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Freeze in general and the freeze hadouken in particular are being nerfed in the next update. There's a lot of good rebalancing and qol changes coming in the update, and I respect the devs for their communication and responsiveness to their fans. I can see why the permanent upgrades mechanic and procgen maps would turn some people off. Tbh I don't play dead cells much anymore and I'm just waiting for the update to dive back in but I enjoyed the game for a little while.

Rogue legacy was indeed terrible imo

All the balancing updates just seem to be nerfing fun stuff. I'm waiting for a boss rebalance before I dive back in

They've definitely listened to feedback though which i appreciate. They made the boring overlong later levels like the pirate wharf shorter, and i think they're starting(?) to address the idiotic level scaling stuff

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Don't poo poo Your Pants was brilliant, it's a shame what happened next

yeah they poo poo their own pants, a tragedy of irony

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

will the update fix health regen? there’s a few health regen abilities that give you small numbers that don’t scale at all past the first zone at best.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

All the balancing updates just seem to be nerfing fun stuff. I'm waiting for a boss rebalance before I dive back in

In the update that just came out something like 5 or 6 weapons were nerfed and then like 30 of them were buffed lol.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

They've definitely listened to feedback though which i appreciate. They made the boring overlong later levels like the pirate wharf shorter, and i think they're starting(?) to address the idiotic level scaling stuff

This is par for the course when it comes to indie roguelikes on PC. The fans whine about the game being "2ez" so the dev nerfs all the good/fun items and fucks with the balance just to please the smelly shitbabies.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

This is par for the course when it comes to indie roguelikes on PC. The fans whine about the game being "2ez" so the dev nerfs all the good/fun items and fucks with the balance just to please the smelly shitbabies.

late in early access they tripled boss health and didnt change anything else about them so "future patches will fix it!" is just bullshit

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

It's this. Early access destroys games.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Thinking about getting Xenoblade 2 with my Christmas money, is it worth it? Never played Xenoblade 1 but I know I should... I liked most of Xenoblade x but the postgame stuff kind of broke my brain

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I loved it and I didn't like XBC1 or XBCX but it's a polarizing game, some people really really hated it. The first few hours are a slog but combat is great once all the systems open up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wouldnt call it a slog since like any good JRPG it takes 5 - 10 hours to even figure out what the narrative is going to be

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also love it, insanely hosed up looking blade designs aside. theyve also added a lot since I played it, both free and with that standalone expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

its got one of the best jrpg soundtracks ever