Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Whats the best EO3 teamcomp for breezing through the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Single yggdroid

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
please i need to finish eo3 before the year ends or god will lay his judgement on me

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Tired Moritz posted:

Whats the best EO3 teamcomp for breezing through the game?

Depends on how far you want to go.

Not including post-game, I would probably go with a party of: Gladiator (sub: Whatever you want.), Hoplite (sub: Ninja), Monk (sub: Prince/ss), Zodiac (sub: Arbalist), and another attacker. Arbalist sub Zodiac if you want to go backliner, Buccaneer sub Gladiator for a Frontliner. Or Arbalist sub Gladiator for a front liner, though you'll mainly be relying on Front Mortar as your main form of offense.

Including post-game? Non-grinding option: Go ahead and stick with the same party, though it might be tricky to deal with some things there. EZ mode (but heavy grinding will be involved): Same party, then go Armoroad route when you reach the middle of Stratum 3. Scrap your entire party aside from Gladiator, Hoplite, and Monk. Change the Gladiator's subclass to Shogun, make 2 Shoguns with a Buccaneer sub, and abuse the poo poo out of Warrior Might and Swashbuckling.

Classes to avoid: Wildling, because disables suck hard in this game. Farmer, this should be obvious. Yggdroid, not terrible on its own, but it'll be inferior to the other options no matter what you do.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 25, 2018

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Jimmy Hats posted:

Single yggdroid

You joke, but Yggdroid / Monk can solo a disturbing amount of the game once you get it going. Self-heal from skills, infinite TP from a leg bind, immunity to outside binds and a faster status recovery if you want it. Just a matter of patience.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished story mode, just gotta do the post-game now

pros

+automap actually draws the walls oh my goodness thank you
+F.O.Es not being nebulous orange balls lets you actually identify and prepare for them instead of "guess if this one is the guy you've been stomping all floor or an instant party wipe"
+story party is a good baby's first eo team outside of those fuckin bees
+game is way better balanced
+music kicks rear end

cons

-story mode is massively inconsistent in both tone and quality
-the game either poorly explains or straight-up lies about some mechanics, not helped by Joe Skilltext apparently being drunk as hell while he was on the job
-grimoire system is loving bananas

p. good game overall, not sure why it has a major bad rap. it has flaws sure but it's not bad

e: also i'm kinda sad that they took out that treasure chest on b3 that spawned a ragelope directly behind you after you opened it, i feel like that was a real tone-setter for the series

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 26, 2018

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Jimmy Hats posted:

Single yggdroid
somewhere, Saigyouji grins evilly

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yinlock posted:

cons

-story mode is massively inconsistent in both tone and quality

p. good game overall, not sure why it has a major bad rap. it has flaws sure but it's not bad

Most likely because of Story mode, and I guess it was considered a bit of a step down from EO4 in some aspects when not taking that into account. Oh and the Grimoire stuff was clunky as gently caress, but you never had to engage with it at any point. Agreed that the bad reputation is absolutely overblown. Not one of my favorite titles, but not really what I would consider the worst mainline EO. (That would probably go to the original EO2, and even then it's far from a bad game. Just uhh, not really that polished and it's not winning points for originality.)

Yinlock posted:

e: also i'm kinda sad that they took out that treasure chest on b3 that spawned a ragelope directly behind you after you opened it, i feel like that was a real tone-setter for the series

To be fair, that was kind of an EO1 exclusive thing, which was easily the most vicious game in the series. (I kinda miss a bit of that in later games. :v:) Later games don't really have "gotcha!" FOE traps like that. It's really more, FOE is patrolling along this path, and oh going for this chest/thing will now trap you. What will you do??

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 26, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Compared to EO1, U is of course a much better game, but it's not that amazing compared to the rest of the 3DS games. Definitely the best way to experience Etria, since 1 is just a pain to get through and if you play that game, especially for an audience, then you're a chump!

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Untold’s main issue for me is the story party composition. There’s not much synergy there and a Protector plus Medic combo leads to a more passive strategy, which isn’t my cup of tea.

Plus the Highlander doesn’t give you nearly as much comedy material as the Fafnir Knight does.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
No more games. :black101:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blastinus posted:

Untold’s main issue for me is the story party composition. There’s not much synergy there and a Protector plus Medic combo leads to a more passive strategy, which isn’t my cup of tea.

Plus the Highlander doesn’t give you nearly as much comedy material as the Fafnir Knight does.

Give the Highlander Bloody Offense and Simon Wolf Pack and suddenly the entire game switches to hyper-aggressive burst damage where you're always measuring the risk-reward of going without a Delayed Heal for massive damage

but yeah i'm looking forward to EOU2 and it's weird-rear end story party once I'm done with the eou postgame

on that note: gently caress turtles

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

postgame trip report: I heavily dislike the Storm Emperor's habit of owning the poo poo out of me the second I get overconfident

it's extremely rude

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ragnar Homsar posted:

to be clear re: fetch quests:

later games are much better about requiring obscene amounts of rare items, but EO5 has a few quests that require the gold items from gather points, which can be intensely annoying

to make it worse, there's one per stratum

Violently Car posted:

EO4 also has a fetch quest where you require the gold item from the gather point at the end of Windy Archive, which, ughhhhh.

Those kinds of quests always have been a free gift to me, since I'm always running with two teams (one combat, one gathering) since at least EOIII. So when those quests show up, I just switch to my gathering team and go do some quality time money collecting. :v:

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Even in EO5, where the gathering skills cost all of 1 skill point and barely provide any boost?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Even in EO5, where the gathering skills cost all of 1 skill point and barely provide any boost?

I've put EO5 and EO4 on hold to finally finish EO3, so I'd have to get back on you for that. I know I have multiple parties even in EO5, but I haven't played the game in months, so I don't really know for sure what they were for. At least one of the parties in EO5 is just me playing around with an alternative set-up of characters. Could be I used that one for gathering, could be I made even more parties. With me, you never know

What I do still remember is me avoiding giving skill points for gathering like the plague in my main party, even up to EO5. I mindlessly and obsessively skill all main party members for combat and exploration only

Edit:

I looked up my EO5 saves. Made two parties and my main party has zero gathering skills, while the other one has all of them. So yes, I'm still doing this thing. :shepface:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Handgun Phonics posted:

You joke, but Yggdroid / Monk can solo a disturbing amount of the game once you get it going. Self-heal from skills, infinite TP from a leg bind, immunity to outside binds and a faster status recovery if you want it. Just a matter of patience.

On the other hand, Yggdroid/Ninja is infinitely easier.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

b28 seems to be a slight difficulty spike

b27: slowly map out a dark floor lighting torches along the way and dodging the foes that are attracted to them

b28: the entire floor is spikes, constantly spawns 2 foes that can oneshot your entire party and move the length of the entire map for every step you take, also there's a giant three-headed dragon just chilling out in the middle of the floor

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Isn't Claret Hollows fun? :shepicide:

Depth Dancers have a really good Grimoire skill, at least. But for the sake of your sanity, I'd only try for it on Picnic.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Yinlock posted:

b28 seems to be a slight difficulty spike

b27: slowly map out a dark floor lighting torches along the way and dodging the foes that are attracted to them

b28: the entire floor is spikes, constantly spawns 2 foes that can oneshot your entire party and move the length of the entire map for every step you take, also there's a giant three-headed dragon just chilling out in the middle of the floor

B28F is not a real floor. It's basically a punishment for falling in a hole. Only like 20% of the floor is actual content.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Depth Dancers have a really good Grimoire skill, at least. But for the sake of your sanity, I'd only try for it on Picnic.

I did it on expert. But I did exploit the item duping glitch. I wish I had that kind of free time nowadays. Hell, I had enough free time back then that I actually did enjoy the hollows.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Violently Car posted:

B28F is not a real floor. It's basically a punishment for falling in a hole. Only like 20% of the floor is actual content.

i will not permit my map to be unfinished, every painful square must be documented

e:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I just managed to barely beat two of them at lv73, on expert

and of course out of the like 5 grimoires that dropped none contain demon beak :v:

probably going to farm for it on Standard because now that i've successfully beaten them legit, screw these things

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 28, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

At the end of B29F

# of times I got party wiped by red cells or evilroots(via ambush) for the crime of foolishly doing anything but immediately exiting the dungeon when I made the slightest progress: 4

(# of times i wiped just from being a dumbass is higher than that, of course. did you know healing between battles is important? apparently i don't)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

EOU Claret Hollows is absolutely brutal. You have to play even more cautiously, of course. But then there are the rare encounters where you just can't do a drat thing and are just forced to watch your party die. Good thing the map saving function is not worthless like it was in EO1! (Only kept track of your drawings and not the actual tiles you stepped on. So if you got jumped by an FOE, well the game certainly isn't helping to stop that again.)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

EOU Claret Hollows is absolutely brutal. You have to play even more cautiously, of course. But then there are the rare encounters where you just can't do a drat thing and are just forced to watch your party die. Good thing the map saving function is not worthless like it was in EO1! (Only kept track of your drawings and not the actual tiles you stepped on. So if you got jumped by an FOE, well the game certainly isn't helping to stop that again.)

floor 29 is just a relentless slog but the death map does help a bit(and also petrifying some lizards)

floor 30 is a slog in an entirely different way in that i think some of the encounters are actually impossible, i'm looking at you 2 crab + 2 evilroot formation

I guess that's what I get for neglecting ailments on my grimoires

e: it also helps that EOU lets you teleport to the floor you were on whereas EO1 would make you walk all the way back while being under constant attack by crabs and flies

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, Floor 30. Nothing like instant death galore. Plus instant death counterattack enemies. Plus more wall FOEs. Plus a Bane Lizard and turtle.

Plus a superboss at the end that opens with party-wide instant death. :shepicide:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 29, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ah, Floor 30. Nothing like instant death galore. Plus instant death counterattack enemies. Plus more wall FOEs. Plus a Bane Lizard and turtle.

Plus a superboss at the end that opens with party-wide instant death. :shepicide:

The worst part is that there's no way to get immunity to instant death, you can get resistance to it sure but from my experience enemies mostly don't care and just kill you anyway. Also it doesn't count as an ailment so you can't vaccine it.

and there's no resistance against crabs and their angry claws

e: tbf the superboss' instadeath chance is fairly low but it's still a dick move that can end your attempt on turn 1 if your protector bites it

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 29, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah Claret Hollows sucks a lot, I've never really enjoyed postgame dungeons, but hey, gotta 100% these games no matter what. Good thing there aren't two LPs that would have to cover that place in extensive detail sometime next year!

...well at least I have more to put it off with, for now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yinlock posted:

The worst part is that there's no way to get immunity to instant death, you can get resistance to it sure but from my experience enemies mostly don't care and just kill you anyway. Also it doesn't count as an ailment so you can't vaccine it.

e: tbf the superboss' instadeath chance is fairly low but it's still a dick move that can end your attempt on turn 1 if your protector bites it

Jewel Eyes are an accessory that gives immunity to it. If an disable resistance accessory has 4 arrows, it means it provides immunity. Shiny Seeds make that item, and can be found from Lost Shinjuku Take points.

Unfortunately wearing those means that you can't use that accessory slot for anything else for the Yggdrasil Core fight. On the plus side, it means the Activate + Necrosis combo is 2 free turns to do whatever you feel like. (Though you have to be aware of the pattern first, and eating Activate + something else would be really really ugly.)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Jewel Eyes are an accessory that gives immunity to it. If an disable resistance accessory has 4 arrows, it means it provides immunity. Shiny Seeds make that item, and can be found from Lost Shinjuku Take points.

Unfortunately wearing those means that you can't use that accessory slot for anything else for the Yggdrasil Core fight. On the plus side, it means the Activate + Necrosis combo is 2 free turns to do whatever you feel like. (Though you have to be aware of the pattern first, and eating Activate + something else would be really really ugly.)

oh I actually forgot those existed, that helps

hard choice between that and HP though, I mean I have HP Up on everyone but that's still Not Enough Health

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 29, 2018

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Yinlock posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Bideo James, The Funny Way to Say "Video Games" > Etrian Odyssey: There's no resistance against crabs and their angry claws

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

in-depth review of the superboss on Expert: oof

is beating this thing even possible without grinding for 50 hours to put dilution/analysis on everyone

I can get it down to it's 3rd stage but then it goes hyper-offensive and just blows me the hell up, mostly because it starts switching patterns like a jackass and on Expert one missed guess = party wipe

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 1, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yinlock posted:

in-depth review of the superboss on Expert: oof

is beating this thing even possible without grinding for 50 hours to put dilution/analysis on everyone

I can get it down to it's 3rd stage but then it goes hyper-offensive and just blows me the hell up, mostly because it starts switching patterns like a jackass and on Expert one missed guess = party wipe

You'll want to be at level 99. It's possible to kill it at a lower level, but max level is the point where they intended for you to fight it. You'll definitely want some of the King Grimoires to tackle that fight, and to look up its pattern (sadly a requirement for most of the post-game bosses in the series.) Wolf Howl is a must. I suppose Forest Guardian may be nice at some points, like Root Cyclone. Phoenix Wings can be handy to act before it. Yggdra Vaccine is a must to deal with Ancient Pollen. (Unfortunately, there's no answer for Entangling Ray other than to dispel Activate.) Alraune's King Grimoire can also be a handy emergency option for some points.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

You'll want to be at level 99. It's possible to kill it at a lower level, but max level is the point where they intended for you to fight it. You'll definitely want some of the King Grimoires to tackle that fight, and to look up its pattern (sadly a requirement for most of the post-game bosses in the series.) Wolf Howl is a must. I suppose Forest Guardian may be nice at some points, like Root Cyclone. Phoenix Wings can be handy to act before it. Yggdra Vaccine is a must to deal with Ancient Pollen. (Unfortunately, there's no answer for Entangling Ray other than to dispel Activate.) Alraune's King Grimoire can also be a handy emergency option for some points.

I actually have all those prerequisites and it's still kicking my rear end

I just can't do enough damage because I'm always putting out some fire or another or putting up preventative measures, also Root Cyclone is the worst

e: also the boss itself has a stupid-high defense even when debuffed for it's massive hp pool, almost like it's some kind of super boss or something

e2: wait i didn't know mastery skills were stackable via grimoire that explains it

guess it's time to dupe some hunting horns then, i'm going to blow this fucker up

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 1, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's a cheese strat to kill it in five turns or something, which is what I've always used to beat it.

I have no shame. :colbert:

I think it requires some Grimoires, though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's a cheese strat to kill it in five turns or something, which is what I've always used to beat it.

I have no shame. :colbert:

I think it requires some Grimoires, though.

that's what i'm going to do, because lol screw this thing

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Here you go.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

thanks

I feel kinda bad about doing it this way but this boss is such a mess of weird unexplained mechanics(specific grimoire setups, including mastery doubling which the game never tells you about are the only way to reasonably damage it even if you're not 5-turning it) and straight-up bullshit(specifically punishing you for using too many buffs with an instakill after removing them, also having a regular instakill move in root cyclone).

of course I could probably nudge down to Standard and get an enjoyable fight out of it but that's quitter talk

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
It's probably less unreasonable to fight "fairly" than the Abyssal God, but the fact that I only said "probably" there kinda tells you all you need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

That would probably be because mastery doubling is actually a glitch and wasn't supposed to be possible. (There was an attempt in the programming to block it, but only certain ones got blocked, and the rest slipped past and have the double up effect as a result.)

Of course they just rolled with it in EO2U. After restructuring how stacking works.

Yggdrasil Core probably wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for Root Cyclone. And not having the caveat of having to learn the pattern beforehand. (And said pattern also has random elements to it...)