Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So wait, will I need more of the event tickets to turn my Indrik into a ShinyBoi? :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Probably another 10 tickets to buy berries for the transformation in the next event.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Hey i decided i'd try this thing again, sort of getting frustrated by quests that require me to go to different zones, and working out where they actually want me to go , is there an addon or something i can use that will show me where i actually need to go for a quest when i look at the map without having to click each zone and check the map marker isnt just a boat or something that takes me closer to where i actually need to go ?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Kullik posted:

Hey i decided i'd try this thing again, sort of getting frustrated by quests that require me to go to different zones, and working out where they actually want me to go , is there an addon or something i can use that will show me where i actually need to go for a quest when i look at the map without having to click each zone and check the map marker isnt just a boat or something that takes me closer to where i actually need to go ?

Psijic questline, huh?

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Sky Shadowing posted:

Psijic questline, huh?

i dont think so its been a few questlines, right now its "of knives and long shadows" just frustrating the heck out of me having to go from one zone to the next.

I also have some random questions about how much im loving up with my build, i started levelling a warden with a bow cause i wanted that authentic WoW huntard experience, but then someone told me i need daggers and i started using those for a bit, is this a problem, will i get max level on all usable weapons eventually?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Kullik posted:

i dont think so its been a few questlines, right now its "of knives and long shadows" just frustrating the heck out of me having to go from one zone to the next.

I also have some random questions about how much im loving up with my build, i started levelling a warden with a bow cause i wanted that authentic WoW huntard experience, but then someone told me i need daggers and i started using those for a bit, is this a problem, will i get max level on all usable weapons eventually?

You can do bow/bow if you want. Dual wielding daggers on one bar, with bow on the other, will give you higher DPS, but only if you're primarily using the daggers (you'd basically only use the bow for two skills if you go that route). If you enjoy the bow/bow gameplay, then keep at it. You'll be fine.

There's a massive amount of content in ESO that's entirely accessible to very casual builds and styles of play. You should only worry about what mix/maxers tell you if you want to do things like high level PVP and veteran dungeons & trials, the "end game" stuff. Otherwise just play the way you want, and if you're worried about loving up your build, ask for advice about the build you actually want to play.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Kullik posted:

It's not actually that common for a quest to send you all over the place like that, you just happened to pick the one that probably sends you to more zones than any other quest in the game. That quest is actually an extended intro for the Clockwork City DLC, and it's sort of meant for a more experienced character who has already traveled around a lot. It's just with everything unleveled and no bar to entry, you can end up picking it up when you're brand new. It does sort of work as an excuse to explore and check out some new places, I guess.

A lot of the quests that start with NPC's force-greeting you in cities are intro quests for DLC's, which is why they send you to far-off lands. If you want to spend a lot of time in one zone, there are always zone storylines and faction storylines that will stick more to that area.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Kullik posted:

Along with what Coldforge said, it's super easy and cheap to respec and change your skills/abilities around and upgrade equipment once you get towards the higher levels, so don't sweat being permanently committed to any choices you make now. Just do what's fun and what you enjoy. If you ever feel like you want to do more damage, then maybe seek out some build guides, but be aware once you start even slightly min/maxing in this game, all but the hardest content can become mind numbingly easy.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Thanks for the advice guys, im wondering now what the endgame is actually like in this game, since you're all telling me not to worry about optimization at all, which is fine i can appreciate that, but ive come from WoW where optimizing yourself for end game content is sort of the whole point of the game as far as the devs vision is concerned.
I know there are dungeons and raids but are they actually run regularly by players or do people just infinitely do quests and level alts or play the auction house with crafting or what?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The real quote unquote endgame indeed requires optimization but everything until then does not.

In this game optimization only makes things easier for you however. You can intentionally spec wrong and play wrong and still play the game but, like, don't? It's more fun if your character is strong thus you have more fun and you make bigger numbers pop out.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Kullik posted:

I know there are dungeons and raids but are they actually run regularly by players or do people just infinitely do quests and level alts or play the auction house with crafting or what?

There are people who do all of these things. There are people and guilds that focus on running the difficult content or PVP, and those who focus on housing or fishing or fashion or gaming the guild stores. Some people pick one or two of those activities to focus on at end game, some people do all of them. It’s a big game.

Aramek posted:

The real quote unquote endgame indeed requires optimization but everything until then does not.

In this game optimization only makes things easier for you however. You can intentionally spec wrong and play wrong and still play the game but, like, don't? It's more fun if your character is strong thus you have more fun and you make bigger numbers pop out.

Generally I agree, but unless you only get off on power, there’s an important balance between fun and strength and they aren’t always interchangeable concepts. Outside of a few activities (“competitive end game”), it is more important to be effective and good at what you enjoy doing, than it is to simply be strong.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 27, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Could I get an invite to Chill Bros? @azhais in game

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So since morrowind is eso+ now does that mean you need + to play it even if you bought morrowind back when it was a regular expansion? Probably not but you never know

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So since morrowind is eso+ now does that mean you need + to play it even if you bought morrowind back when it was a regular expansion? Probably not but you never know
No. You bought it, you can play it.
Why wouldn't you be able to now?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I have put a staggering number of hours into this game over the past few months for some reason so I finally got a + subscription. I've got all these crowns burning a hole in my pocket and I feel like buying some new digs, anything you guys could recommend? I have the free rooms at the Ebon Flask and St Delyn's Inn, so I want something with a little more breathing room somewhere else. I was considering the snow globe home which I kinda love but I also feel like the gimmick will wear thin come spring when it's not as ~festive~.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

food court bailiff posted:

I have put a staggering number of hours into this game over the past few months for some reason so I finally got a + subscription. I've got all these crowns burning a hole in my pocket and I feel like buying some new digs, anything you guys could recommend? I have the free rooms at the Ebon Flask and St Delyn's Inn, so I want something with a little more breathing room somewhere else. I was considering the snow globe home which I kinda love but I also feel like the gimmick will wear thin come spring when it's not as ~festive~.

You can decorate the snow globe any way you like, it'll just be a snowy yard. It's a very nice house.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

food court bailiff posted:

Snow Globe is not a bad choice all around, but it is definitely winter-themed. Then again, so is that whole zone.

I can personally recommend Domus Phrasticus for a great mix of indoor/outdoor space for a pretty reasonable price. The location at the rear end-end of Craglorn is not always ideal, but it's not too far to a wayshrine.

On that note, be sure to get every possible free room and as many of the cheap ones as you can afford, because they also double as free teleports to major cities without having to hunt for a shrine.

Opinions differ on this, but I always prefer to spring for the furnished version of a house just because it's an OK deal on a big pile of decorations and gives you a decent starting point. And then I start rearranging it like crazy...

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Twin Arches is my pick for best starter house if you'd prefer something small. It's cheap enough that I wouldn't spend crowns on it.

Domus Phrasticus would also be my pick for the generally best medium-sized house, but it's not available for purchase unless you have the Imperial Edition upgrade. The other houses locked behind the Imperial upgrade (Cyrodiilic Jungle House and Strident Springs Demesne) are very good for their price range too.

Sleek Creek House is another good choice for a medium house because of its location on the outskirts of one of the most popular and conveniently laid-out cities in the game, but a small stilt house with a big yard might not be your thing.

For large houses, I've always really liked The Gorinir Estate. Nice layout, not so large that you'll have trouble with the item limit, and it's one of the cheapest large houses, but you may not want to do without flat walls and corners.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Azhais posted:

Could I get an invite to Chill Bros? @azhais in game

Yes.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Rollersnake posted:

Domus Phrasticus would also be my pick for the generally best medium-sized house, but it's not available for purchase unless you have the Imperial Edition upgrade. The other houses locked behind the Imperial upgrade (Cyrodiilic Jungle House and Strident Springs Demesne) are very good for their price range too.

:confused: I bought Domus Phrasticus nearly a year ago, and I never bothered with the Imperial Edition upgrade until about a month ago when it was briefly on sale.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I finally got my 12th writ but wow are the mats related to the crafts inflated right now and I can't be bothered to farm heartwood and pitch. I guess since the skin can be unlocked after the event I'll wait until demand dies down a little next month.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
What's the downlow on using simple macros? Everywhere I look people seem to lose their loving minds about it and swear up and down that you'll definitely be banned for it but it's commonly accepted practice in pretty much every other major MMO. Will I realistically be banned if I use my logitech software to make a macro that like includes a weapon swap in my skill press?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

hot date tonight! posted:

What's the downlow on using simple macros? Everywhere I look people seem to lose their loving minds about it and swear up and down that you'll definitely be banned for it but it's commonly accepted practice in pretty much every other major MMO. Will I realistically be banned if I use my logitech software to make a macro that like includes a weapon swap in my skill press?

I mean, I'm sure you'll be fine. There's things like the lazy writ crafter addon that automate button presses, so I don't see how this would be any different.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Nerd Of Prey posted:

:confused: I bought Domus Phrasticus nearly a year ago, and I never bothered with the Imperial Edition upgrade until about a month ago when it was briefly on sale.

Maybe I'm mistaken then. I hope so, because I thought it was really loving stupid that they would do something like that. :v:

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

The Velothi Reverie is my happy place. It's really dark though, even during the day.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

JackBadass posted:

I mean, I'm sure you'll be fine. There's things like the lazy writ crafter addon that automate button presses, so I don't see how this would be any different.

Yeah I'm sure it's fine too, I was just surprised when I was double checking if it was okay because there's a lot of people screaming about macros on the official forums

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I guess since we're on the subject, is there anything particularly neat I can get for the 1500 crowns I have left over from buying all the story DLC?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Hold onto them for the next story DLC, if nothing grabs your eye.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How much longer do I have to get the snow globe? I haven’t been playing lately thanks to RDR2 but I probably have enough crowns to pick it up

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Snowy posted:

How much longer do I have to get the snow globe? I haven’t been playing lately thanks to RDR2 but I probably have enough crowns to pick it up

5 days left, 4200 crowns unfurnished 5250 furnished. I bought it a couple of days ago, but havent really had a chance to play since. Huge outdoor areas are great!

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

Ossipago posted:

I finally got my 12th writ but wow are the mats related to the crafts inflated right now and I can't be bothered to farm heartwood and pitch. I guess since the skin can be unlocked after the event I'll wait until demand dies down a little next month.

Just ask a goon for the mats. I'm swimming in heartwood and probably pitch (I know heartwood because someone else asked for it) and would be happy to give you some.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Speaking of spending crowns, i have no idea what to spend mine on (~5k)

I don't care about housing, or cosmetic stuff, or mounts. All the gameplay content is already unlocked since im ESO+ so not really sure what there is left?

Convert it into gold?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
You already have the banker and merchant? They're really helpful.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w
If you don't have the banker, get the banker.

Alternatively you could purchase the DLCs, so you still have them if you cancel ESO+.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Alternatively you can just sit on your crowns in case there's something you want later...

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Is this game fun on Xbox? Or is using a controller a disaster?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
It's a matter of preference, though to me playing ESO with a mouse & keyboard makes about as much sense as playing Dark Souls with a mouse & keyboard. I have some slight issues with the default gamepad controls, particularly skill bar swap being on left d-pad, but I assume the console versions let you remap this.

Also, very few goons play this on XBox, in case PC's also an option for you.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I prefer the controller, especially in menus, but I play on PC.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I also prefer the gamepad, and play on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
If any of you say you like to play in first person I'm gonna throw up.