Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The best part of Advent Children were the fake subtitles Goons made and put into torrents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Andrast posted:

I found Dead cells really samey since the runs have very little variation between builds and the early game is trivially easy so you spend a few minutes every run just wasting time until you get to interesting stuff. I got ~10 hours of it by beating it twice but it didn't have any staying power like some other roguelikes have had for me.

I doesn't hold a candle to any decently well designed metroidvania with a good map imo

Eh, I disagree, I think the builds play pretty differently (especially once you get a bunch of the unlocks) but YMMV. The early levels do get a bit tedious once you have them down but you can rush through each of them in just a few minutes to get to the harder stuff. Also there are 5 tiers of difficulty and the higher ones are just brutal. I put over 100 hours into it the first time around and still come back to it from time to time.

Over There posted:

Did you enjoy Rogue Legacy?

Yeah, it's fun and I would also recommend it, but the control is not nearly as tight as Dead Cells so overall I didn't like it as much.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

avoraciopoctules posted:

I found Rogue Legacy dull, and Dead Cells outright uninteresting. But Chasm was okay, and Spelunky was cool. All of those were on PC, though.

I didn't really enjoy Rogue Legacy either. Chasm I haven't played but Spelunky fantastic. I wish it was on the Switch.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

avoraciopoctules posted:

I found Rogue Legacy dull, and Dead Cells outright uninteresting. But Chasm was okay, and Spelunky was cool. All of those were on PC, though.

Chasm is on Switch now, but I really didn't like it. It's very stiff and slow. I did just play Timespinners on PS4 (I believe it is coming to switch) which I liked a lot though, and would wholeheartedly recommend to any Metroidvania fan.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TTBF posted:

The best part of Advent Children were the fake subtitles Goons made and put into torrents.

Tell me more.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

avoraciopoctules posted:

Hmmm, I DID have a lot of fun playing Luftrauser. Maybe Rogue Aces would give me a similar experience... or I could see if Nintendo has a Hydorah port. I might do better at that this time, with a real controller.

Rogue aces is only aesthetically similar, it's much more ambitious in it's game design as a 2d open world rogue like. And i believe there is a super hydorah port on the eShop.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Barudak posted:

Whoa now, FF13 is good as heck out of the gate but if a game doesnt click with you in the first hour its cool to drop it, no reason to struggle with what you dont like.

FF13 is an irredeemable piece of trash. Like, its a bad story with a battle system that might have been fun if they opened anything up 20 hours before you got tired of it.

Edit: I rage completed the game after realizing how trash it was, then traded it online for the first 3 sly cooper games, which was a much better experience.

Pash fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 26, 2018

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

The Pirate Captain posted:

Chasm is on Switch now, but I really didn't like it. It's very stiff and slow. I did just play Timespinners on PS4 (I believe it is coming to switch) which I liked a lot though, and would wholeheartedly recommend to any Metroidvania fan.

Timespinner wasn’t perfect, but it was still a really good time. I’d imagine it controls more nicely with Switch controller than with keyboard, too. Ooooh, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon might be worth buying again on Switch.

Hmm, is Dandara any good?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

I did just play Timespinners on PS4 (I believe it is coming to switch) which I liked a lot though, and would wholeheartedly recommend to any Metroidvania fan.
I'm not sure if Timespinner is coming to Switch, and if so, it doesn't sound like it'll be there anytime soon. Whatever platform you can get it on though, I recommend it too. I'm about halfway through on PC and it's great. Basically, imagine if someone really wanted to make Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, but they also kinda wanted to make Chrono Trigger, and they did a good job of it.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

avoraciopoctules posted:

Hmm, is Dandara any good?

I only played a little bit of it but really liked what I did play. Very unlike other MVs. I'm not sure why I stopped playing, I need to get back to it.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I only played a little bit of it but really liked what I did play. Very unlike other MVs. I'm not sure why I stopped playing, I need to get back to it.

Thanks a lot! I’ll add it to my list.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I sure love to read 100 posts about final fantasy games not on the switch

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

I sure love to read 100 posts about final fantasy games not on the switch

Have you thought about not reading the posts then?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes that’s why I don’t read the final fantasy megathread

Works of final fantasy though that is a good rpg that is on the switch

Also is Mario party any fun for two players I need a game for me and my girlfriend

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
when X and XII come out I'm gonna talk about them so much

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Gripweed posted:

when X and XII come out I'm gonna talk about them so much

Twelve is a breath of fresh air in FF because it's the first protagonist that isn't an angsty jerk.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Twelve is a breath of fresh air in FF because it's the first protagonist that isn't an angsty jerk.

Yuna in X-2 :colbert:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yes that’s why I don’t read the final fantasy megathread

Works of final fantasy though that is a good rpg that is on the switch

Also is Mario party any fun for two players I need a game for me and my girlfriend

It’s fine but MP is definitely ideal for 4.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Also how good is Zelda in terms of not suffering from Open World Fatigue (ie I read about shrines and Ubisoft towers, but I've also heard that the content isn't cut and paste)? I'd be lying if I said I like fantasy games (some Skyrim here and there) or even Zelda, but the game looks pretty drat fun.

This would just be for me, not my kids, I mean I don't mind if they play it, but I doubt it. Super Mario is mostly me playing it with my daughter taking over some parts in between. Still a lot of fun and the assist mode (yeah I know) is nice at preventing jumping screw up frustrations.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

For anyone else who is excited about it, Onimusha Warlords is already out on the Japan estore and fully supports English. So if you don't want to wait 3 more weeks for the US release, the Japanese version is fully playable today. I went through the first few bits and it now lets you use a modern control scheme instead of just tank controls, and it's a huge improvement. Hopefully they put out 2 and 3 - as good as the first one is, those two are just amazing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Also how good is Zelda in terms of not suffering from Open World Fatigue (ie I read about shrines and Ubisoft towers, but I've also heard that the content isn't cut and paste)? I'd be lying if I said I like fantasy games (some Skyrim here and there) or even Zelda, but the game looks pretty drat fun.

This would just be for me, not my kids, I mean I don't mind if they play it, but I doubt it. Super Mario is mostly me playing it with my daughter taking over some parts in between. Still a lot of fun and the assist mode (yeah I know) is nice at preventing jumping screw up frustrations.

I can't speak for the fatigue but BOTW is the only open world game I have ever liked because it's open world. Usually being open world is just a negative factor for me but BOTW just did a stellar job with the exploration.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

it is really fun and you should defo play it

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Timesplitters collection when?!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Andrast posted:

I can't speak for the fatigue but BOTW is the only open world game I have ever liked because it's open world. Usually being open world is just a negative factor for me but BOTW just did a stellar job with the exploration.

yeah it neatly sidesteps the problem a lot of current open world games face of the world just being a glorified mission select screen; all the different systems interlock to create a really nice structure to the experience. not without flaws but still a must-play

speaking of which, can anyone recommend any other good RPG things for switch? i've been playing a bit of dark souls on and off but i'd like something a little less pant-shittingly terrifying for my train ride

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mister Facetious posted:

Other than...all of them? Squall’s the only one that’s really an angsty jerk, and even he gets over it eventually.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

BOTW doesn't have Ubisoft towers

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Felt ridiculous getting Hollow Knight and Into the Breach today even though my boy just got Smash, Let's Go Pikachu and Labo for Xmas but drat, they're never going to be cheaper than $5. Switch library is starting to look like my Steam library, which is beautiful.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

romanowski posted:

BOTW doesn't have Ubisoft towers

It has towers that reveal the map, which is pretty close. You just do the marking yourself and go to whatever looks interesting instead predefined mapmarkers.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Imagined posted:

Felt ridiculous getting Hollow Knight and Into the Breach today even though my boy just got Smash, Let's Go Pikachu and Labo for Xmas but drat, they're never going to be cheaper than $5. Switch library is starting to look like my Steam library, which is beautiful.

How does one buy Into the Breach for $5?

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Imagined posted:

You have chosen wisely.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Andrast posted:

It has towers that reveal the map, which is pretty close. You just do the marking yourself and go to whatever looks interesting instead predefined mapmarkers.

that's a key difference that gets lost on people who dismiss them as "Ubisoft towers" though

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Andrast posted:

It only reveals terrain and land names that the quest givers mention, but you can complete the quests without ever touching them. Ubisoft unlocks the ability to interact with quests in that zone.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

How does one buy Into the Breach for $5?

Start a Nintendo account with the region set to Mexico. My account is USA, my son's is MXN, and my wife's is ZAR (South Africa). South Africa seems to get a lot of crazy low prices in particular.

https://eshop-prices.com/?currency=USD

Look for the price in green for any particular game you're looking for.

Protip: You don't even have to create separate email accounts. Gmail considers johnsmith@ and john.smith@ and j.ohnsmith@ to be the same inbox, but Nintendo will recognize them as separate addresses.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 26, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Roguelike chat made me sad that Gaslamp Games is dead and there will never be a Dungeons of Dredmor port for the switch, that game would be amazing on the go.

Is the FFXV pocket edition any good? I like the regular version a lot.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the additional information. I only use the term Ubisoft Towers because it was the video I was watching about the game. I’m just concerned with getting another huge open world game that I’ll play 20-30 hours

I just have to say I’m really amazed with just how fun this system has been so far. Well super long 2K19 download notwithstanding. I never thought iyool 2018 I’d be super hyped playing a Mario game and finding a really good selection of Nintendo and non-Nintendo software.

Oh Controller charging question. If the system is docked and I’m not playing I just put the controllers back on the system to charge them, right? Sorry for the basic question I’ve only had to charge this just plugged into the AC Adapter in mobile configuration.

I am just really impressed with this system in that it feels like a mobile and home system, but with no comprise effecting gameplay.. I don’t feel like I’m getting the short end at either side. Just so pleasantly surprised with the Switch.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Thanks for the additional information. I only use the term Ubisoft Towers because it was the video I was watching about the game. I’m just concerned with getting another huge open world game that I’ll play 20-30 hours

I just have to say I’m really amazed with just how fun this system has been so far. Well super long 2K19 download notwithstanding. I never thought iyool 2018 I’d be super hyped playing a Mario game and finding a really good selection of Nintendo and non-Nintendo software.

Oh Controller charging question. If the system is docked and I’m not playing I just put the controllers back on the system to charge them, right? Sorry for the basic question I’ve only had to charge this just plugged into the AC Adapter in mobile configuration.

I am just really impressed with this system in that it feels like a mobile and home system, but with no comprise effecting gameplay.. I don’t feel like I’m getting the short end at either side. Just so pleasantly surprised with the Switch.

yeah, when docked any connected controllers--be it sides of the tablet or the dock's usb port--get charged

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
How good is Starlink? I'm a major Starfox guy, so the siren call is getting to me with it being 39.99 on the eshop. Gameplay looks interesting, but everyone throwing around words like "repetitive" gives me pause. As does the Ubisoft label. Ew.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dishwasher posted:

How good is Starlink? I'm a major Starfox guy, so the siren call is getting to me with it being 39.99 on the eshop. Gameplay looks interesting, but everyone throwing around words like "repetitive" gives me pause. As does the Ubisoft label. Ew.

I bought the physical set of it for $20 and I’m having fun. The Star Fox stuff is really well integrated.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

It's a third person shooter/adventure RPG thing with an extremely thin veneer of "your character is actually a ship"

That said I enjoyed my time with the digital version greatly, just... don't go in expecting starfox or even a ship shooter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Where my Parodius Collection for Switch at