Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Len posted:

I picked up Hollow Knight for the switch and I'm enjoying it and just like Into the Breach some of the things dragging it down are definitely me but the things that aren't:

Im not a fan of the map system. It's a Metroidvania but you don't get a map until you buy it. And then after you buy it if you didn't buy and equipment the compass too bad you won't know where you are.

Map updates? That's another item to buy because if you don't get a quill how can you update the map? I think this thematically but hate it from a mechanical standpoint

Ive explored three different areas and unless I'm really missing something I've only found movement abilities and the not-missiles and nothing else to show myself getting stronger.

I haven't really been a fan of the Souls style die and you loleave a corpse mechanic since Demons Souls so that just automatically makes it to the list

And the last one is actually hardware but there's something in my apartment loving with the joycons because they just go unresponsive sometimes. I'll be hitting the sword button and nothing will happen for 4-5 presses. The left one even stops and goes through it's whole flashing lights thing it does when you first turn the system on.

The map system in Hollow Knight Just Sucks and it never gets better. The game still rules but it would be much better served with a traditional map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Somebody has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Dec 27, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tales of Berseria

Haven't played a Tales game since Vesperia on 360 so I'm super not a fan of how much Berseria emphasizes status effects/ getting comboed to death by one attack because now I'm burned and taking super effective damage from every attack.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Leavemywife posted:

I hope so. His sprint is kind of like a light jog at this point, and that loving thing from the chase scene in the hotel place seemed like it was about two feet from my rear end at all times.

That is intentional. They start you with just enough stamina for that chase to be tense as hell, but you can unlock a lot of stamina upgrades and skills to move faster while crouching. No sprinting speed increases in the skill trees.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What chapters in Evil Within 2 are the sandbox ones? Just so I don't miss anything important.

There's a rather cheap moment in Death of the Outsider where you can loot a chest on top of an isolated rooftop. When you do so a hostile goon spawns behind you which breaks your stealth-record. I'm not sure if it's a bug but it seems too calculated to not be a gently caress-you.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What chapters in Evil Within 2 are the sandbox ones? Just so I don't miss anything important.

Pretty much all of the ones where you are in the town proper. There are missable weapons and safe rooms if you don't go explore the alleys and buildings. Also, enemies do not respawn except through story progress, so stabbing everything in the back has the bonus of making rubbing your face on everything much easier.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Morpheus posted:

The new EDF game is great - you shoot giant bugs, ragdoll all over the place, huge explosions and chaos, great stuff.

There is a class called the Wing Diver in the game - basically, an all-female team of jetpackers. When you start the game, you're a civilian who's basically thrust into the war by accident. You look like someone who went to work, picked up a prototype jetpack, and now you're in poo poo. Slacks, shirt, whatever.

What I really liked about this, what that previous depections of the Wing Diver are...well, skeezy to say the least. Basically an entirely-female team of women dressed with jetpack boob armor and a thong. But now, pants! Awesome!

Then you join the EDF proper and...well, at least the giant cleavage hole is gone. Still got the thong though, guess that's official EDF equipment.

This is from a few pages back, but I just now discovered that you can press triangle on the class selection screen to change back to your civilian outfit

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sunset Overdrive: There isn't Nirvana or the Offspring music blasting constantly. It only plays music when you get into fights, but otherwise you hear deafening silence

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I bought yakuza 0 and the intro section combat is underwhelming. The combat feels like sleeping dogs but less refined, but I'm hoping that'll change in the future. I just want to play mini 4wd.

The dialogue seems very jrpg style, which makes me sad that lost odyssey doesn't have a PC release because that game was amazing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ilmucche posted:

I bought yakuza 0 and the intro section combat is underwhelming. The combat feels like sleeping dogs but less refined, but I'm hoping that'll change in the future. I just want to play mini 4wd.

The dialogue seems very jrpg style, which makes me sad that lost odyssey doesn't have a PC release because that game was amazing.

It's basically a jrpg only instead of swords and monsters it's fists and street thugs

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Attestant posted:

I don't mind having to buy the initial map, since it adds a bit of uncertainty to every new area. But permanent map marker tax can gently caress off.

I'll go on record as the guy who liked everything about Hollow Knight's map system. It was the first game in forever where I felt like I was actually exploring a world rather than trudging from objective a to objective b. I certainly understand people hating it, though.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Len posted:

It's basically a jrpg only instead of swords and monsters it's fists and street thugs

It's not a jrpg unless the characters take turns punching each other in the face :colbert:

Them newfangled active systems aren't jrpgs, they're restrictive beat'em ups

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

The Moon Monster posted:

I'll go on record as the guy who liked everything about Hollow Knight's map system. It was the first game in forever where I felt like I was actually exploring a world rather than trudging from objective a to objective b. I certainly understand people hating it, though.

I don't mind most of it. I just really dislike the compass charm being a thing, since the charm slots are already very valuable. Feels bad having to pick between effectiveness and quality of life like that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ilmucche posted:

It's not a jrpg unless the characters take turns punching each other in the face :colbert:

Them newfangled active systems aren't jrpgs, they're restrictive beat'em ups

Okay grampa :jerkbag:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

I'm eleven hours in, and it ain't bad, but I keep thinking "I could really go for replaying Sleeping Dogs about now." And having to use dedicated save points can gently caress right off.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This is the exact effect playing Yakuza 4 had on me so many years ago, and I dug out Sleeping Dogs and shelved Yakuza until a few months ago when I picked up 0 on a whim. And then it clicked and I played three Yakuza games in a row.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Video game

dionysian
Dec 30, 2012

I'd have to say Gengar, but I've seen plenty of good choices ITT. Keep it up, everyone!

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Geodude

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Charizard

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pikachu

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Porygon-Z. I like feeling like I've committed a crime against reality.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

scrafty

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Magikarp

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Blitzle

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Mawuh

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

wobbuffet here

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Noivern.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Agumon

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Ronch.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The whole Zubat line. I will die on this hill :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Starmie. Thunder Wave, Confuse Ray, Recover, and one of Psychic, Surf, Thunderbolt, or Ice Beam and you're off to the races.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Gardevoir.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jigglypuff

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Marshtomp probably

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
If it doesn't have scythes for arms, it ain't poo poo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

This one specific Petilil/Liligant that you can trade for in pokemon Black that has near perfect stats and just carried me through the game Giga draining everything to death.