Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

There are moments throughout history, often difficult to recognize when we are in their midst, when history itself is in the making. Watching a young Michael Jordan take the court in Chapel Hill. Hearing a young Bob Dylan play sets at a beatnik coffee house in Greenwich Village. Seeing an amateur boxer by the name of Cassius Clay make mince meat of the Kentucky boxing scene. Those moments when great men reveal themselves as such, and dare us to shrug them off, or underestimate the heights to which their considerable talents will one day beckon them to reach.

Now is one of those times. Charlie Kirk is one of those men. Godspeed, young warrior. May the truth be ever on your side.

https://twitter.com/FreeBeacon/status/1077923233427607558

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

You mean a 32-212 scale

Tired: We should convert to Metric
Wired: We should convert to Celcius
Inspired: We should conver to the IFC

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
https://twitter.com/PaulSzoldra/status/1078037443008315392

"We will fight them on the salad bar, we will liberate the steak and ketchup platters, and we will NOT STOP until the Diet Coke has been secured!"

It gets better worse.

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1078067327713845249

"What's OPSEC?"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rust Martialis posted:

You mean a 32-212 scale

Air temperatures, the most common thing we measure, tend to go from roughly minus twenty to one hundred twenty or so Fahrenheit, with most temperatures in the 10-110 range

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

You mean a 32-212 scale
There is nothing magical about water that its transition points should be the basis of a temperature scale. The most common use for temperature is to know how the air will feel for a human. 0-100 in Fahrenheit is an extremely convenient "uncomfortably cold" to "uncomfortably hot".

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Heh, Trump made them dress-up for his photo op.

The F vs C argument is so silly.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 27, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Easy Diff posted:

Tired: We should convert to Metric
Wired: We should convert to Celcius
Inspired: We should conver to the IFC

The 13th is always Friday the 13th.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Look, I'm on the F side of you dork's temperature argument but pretending the freezing point of water makes no more difference to the average human than the boiling point of brass is dumb.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Krispy Wafer posted:

The market hates uncertainty and today another admin official came out to say Trump had no intention on firing Powell, so that was all it took to boost confidence. I don't think it's a dead cat bounce.

In addition it's entirely possible someone has gotten through Trump's skull that firing the Fed Chairman or the Treasury Secretary will NOT result in bankers and investors rejoicing and it'd make Christmas Eve look like a walk in the park.

I don't buy "oh the markets think he is stable now." Trump has currently shut down the government over something completely stupid and moronic, has set fire to all of our current trade policies and deals, and his Cabinet is about 2 steps away from being entirely staffed by Mick Mulvaney.

This is a bounce from Christmas sales in general. You would have to be on some pretty loving good drugs to ever think anyone got through to Trump at this point, and that "this time, things will be stable!"

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 27, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't buy "oh the markets think he is stable now." Trump has currently shut down the government over something completely stupid and moronic, has set fire to all of out current trade policies and deals, and his Cabinet is about 2 steps away from being entirely staffed by Mick Mulvaney.

This is a bounce from Christmas sales in general. You would have to be on some pretty loving good drugs to ever think anyone got through to Trump at this point, and that "this time, things will be stable!"

There were no negative news stories so it's plausible the ~algorithms~ thought the trouble has passed

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Is it just me or would you describe that man's face as "punchable"?

Also the fact that trump had them dress up (lol@all the loving gear options) straight into ruining opsec for some seals is just.. perfect. I'm reminded of the "life finds a way" meme, but instead of life finding a way to gently caress, it is "trump finds a way" (to gently caress it up more).

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

theflyingorc posted:

Also, everything about this SCREAMS dead cat bounce

Maybe it won't be, but it sure feels like it

It will just take one more shock to make things dive again.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

bobua posted:

Look, I'm on the F side of you dork's temperature argument but pretending the freezing point of water makes no more difference to the average human than the boiling point of brass is dumb.
Maybe, but knowing the kill temperature of salmonella is of even more everyday importance to the average human than knowing the transition temperature of water. Should we base our temperature scale on that?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't buy "oh the markets think he is stable now." Trump has currently shut down the government over something completely stupid and moronic, has set fire to all of out current trade policies and deals, and his Cabinet is about 2 steps away from being entirely staffed by Mick Mulvaney.

Pretty much that (solid holiday sales news) and post-dip opportunist trading. The gain itself may be a big number, but the volume behind it is kinda meh. That can mean that the "floor" isn't very stable and one tweet or somewhat negative news can trigger the plunge again....or it could be a legit rally. Not gonna hold my breath on the latter though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't buy "oh the markets think he is stable now." Trump has currently shut down the government over something completely stupid and moronic, has set fire to all of our current trade policies and deals, and his Cabinet is about 2 steps away from being entirely staffed by Mick Mulvaney.

No one is saying he's stable. The market has lost thousands of points because he doesn't know how to do a trade war. But Monday's drop was because he threatened to fire Powell. That's a separate disaster all Trump's own making that happened over the weekend and had time to gestate and fester until Christmas Eve morning. Today's comeback was because the 'market' no longer thinks Trump will fire the Fed Chairman.

If he comes back with a tweet about how he can fire whoever he wants, then the market will poo poo itself again. The trade war is also going to be a continued drag. But at some point everything stabilizes because the economy is still running smoothly regardless of what Trump says or does.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1078074405207621632

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1078075093417369602

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

cheetah7071 posted:

Negative numbers should not be needed for everyday use when measuring temperature.

Well, here in the best state, Vermont, you see...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So apparently Russia showed off some new type of missile and America's military is worried about the gap.

Love to live in the second Cold War

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

drat Ive never commented on the hand thing before, but those are some tiny rear end little baby hands. Like a dolls hands

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

The Glumslinger posted:

So apparently Russia showed off some new type of missile and America's military is worried about the gap.

Love to live in the second Cold War

The hypersonic ones that aren't actually in production yet and may have no functional prototype?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Inferior Third Season posted:

There is nothing magical about water that its transition points should be the basis of a temperature scale. The most common use for temperature is to know how the air will feel for a human. 0-100 in Fahrenheit is an extremely convenient "uncomfortably cold" to "uncomfortably hot".

For people who live in some specific climates. There are entire continents that never reach 0F in some years.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

drat Ive never commented on the hand thing before, but those are some tiny rear end little baby hands. Like a dolls hands

being fat and wearing huge clothes makes em look even smaller.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The hypersonic ones that aren't actually in production yet and may have no functional prototype?

No, long range nuclear torpedoes. Basically underwater cruise missiles that could be used for anti-carrier operations or blowing up port cities.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
We're doomed

https://twitter.com/TheDemCoalition/status/1077784971291561984

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/PressSec/status/1078051657051586560

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For people who live in some specific climates. There are entire continents that never reach 0F in a given year.
And for any humans who live there, I'm sure they would describe being outside as "uncomfortably cold" or worse.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

OAquinas posted:

No, long range nuclear torpedoes. Basically underwater cruise missiles that could be used for anti-carrier operations or blowing up port cities.

I'm pretty sure those are the ones that don't have a functional prototype. Nuclear powered (not tipped) are for sure being developed, but I believe testing them would break a few treaties.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Waiting for it to come out that no one said this.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

100% chance of racist social media accounts.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ague Proof posted:

100% chance of racist social media accounts.

Cpl Milkshake Singer

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda

Lycus posted:

Waiting for it to come out that no one said this.

It certainly doesn't sound like something Trump would say.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hairy Marionette posted:

It certainly doesn't sound like something Trump would say.

"Of course you're here because of me, did you see my huge electoral victory? Everybody was saying it was impossible, a Republican couldn't win"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

bobua posted:

this is a fair point, fellow human

i, like you, am a human

and like you, i have more water in my body than brass

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
0 and 100 should be based on the minimal and maximal temperatures a human could possible survive 1 hour naked in. And every year we have a grand competition to see if we need to reset the scale.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Lmao if you measure temperature in anything but planck units

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda

fishing with the fam posted:

0 and 100 should be based on the minimal and maximal temperatures a human could possible survive 1 hour naked in. And every year we have a grand competition to see if we need to reset the scale.

Do we have to adjust the scale as the average human body weight changes?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this is a fair point, fellow human

i, like you, am a human

and like you, i have more water in my body than brass

As a human I find the dew point to have the most effect on my human comfort due to it suppressing the effectiveness of my evaporative cooling subsystem.

Which risks corrosion bad odor.

Speaking of humans did Disney go ahead and install that clearly repurposed Hillary-bot at the hall of presidents?

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

OAquinas posted:

The Status-6 system? Kanyon's I think they're called. Basically their defense program is aimed at finding more and more creative ways at getting past our defense systems.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

OAquinas posted:

https://twitter.com/PaulSzoldra/status/1078037443008315392

"We will fight them on the salad bar, we will liberate the steak and ketchup platters, and we will NOT STOP until the Diet Coke has been secured!"

It gets better worse.

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1078067327713845249

"What's OPSEC?"

Somebody earlier in this thread predicted this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Thread, stop eating fast food. Regardless of its other merits, Fahrenheit is objectively better for cooking.