Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Shifty Pony posted:

As a human I find the dew point to have the most effect on my human comfort due to it suppressing the effectiveness of my evaporative cooling subsystem.

Which risks corrosion bad odor.

Speaking of humans did Disney go ahead and install that clearly repurposed Hillary-bot at the hall of presidents?

I still don't think that robot looks anything like Hillary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Besesoth posted:

Thread, stop eating fast food. Regardless of its other merits, Fahrenheit is objectively better for cooking.

Setting an oven for 200C or 390F doesn't really make much difference.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I only use the Goldilocks Scale, personally.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Speaking of humans did Disney go ahead and install that clearly repurposed Hillary-bot at the hall of presidents?
They did, and even though Disney's set aside a time and given a script to Trump, he hasn't recorded it yet (because he is an incomprehensibly lazy fat gently caress who can't be assed to do something for others, even if it's specifically glorifying him, unless he's paid or forced), so they're using some audio from his inauguration.

The Trump robot also gives a little Fonz-like thumbs up when Lincoln's name is given during the introductions.

EDIT:

OK, in fairness, he finally did his lines. In December, meaning the ride just had him there for over a year with only the beginning audio from his inauguration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NePlddZpNKs

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 27, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Doctor Spaceman posted:

At the very least swapping to C makes accidents where Americans forgetting to convert completely gently caress up really expensive scientific equipment and the infrastructure to deploy them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Replace the actual temperature with just an emoji of what kind of clothes are appropriate for the weather

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Fahrenheit is the only unit of measure that Americans use that can be considered reasonable, so they latch on to it in an attempt to defend how poorly they do everything else. It is still worse than Celsius though, so the point is moot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Easy Diff posted:

They did, and even though Disney's set aside a time and given a script to Trump, he hasn't recorded it yet (because he is an incomprehensibly lazy fat gently caress who can't be assed to do something for others, even if it's specifically glorifying him, unless he's paid or forced), so they're using some audio from his inauguration.

The Trump robot also gives a little Fonz-like thumbs up when Lincoln's name is given during the introductions.

they shoulda used the access hollywood tape.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
If using metric units is universally good then why does no one use metric time checkmate metricailures

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

bobua posted:

Look, I'm on the F side of you dork's temperature argument but pretending the freezing point of water makes no more difference to the average human than the boiling point of brass is dumb.

I mostly said the sublimation point of brass because in my imagination al borland corp would read it and remember the lost room, because no one else watched that show and he seems like he would have.

There really is no time you ever need to know the thermometer boiling point of water though, you always just heat water and then just wait till it boils. Which won't even be at the right temperature unless you have perfectly pure water at perfect sea level pressure. I'd accept some new temperature system that was 0 is frozen water because that at least matters for snow, then make a new scale up to 100=body temperature.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

BarbarianElephant posted:

Lovely conspiracy but I imagine the level of security means that Presidential visits to the troops need to be planned more than a week in advance.

Not to be contrary, but this trip was 100% planned after firing Mattis.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

fishing with the fam posted:

0 and 100 should be based on the minimal and maximal temperatures a human could possible survive 1 hour naked in. And every year we have a grand competition to see if we need to reset the scale.

Also:
https://i.imgur.com/v4PfRAu.mp4

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stereotype posted:

If using metric units is universally good then why does no one use metric time checkmate metricailures

My understanding is that in pre-metric Europe you had a different set of measurements in every country or small cluster of countries. So everyone agreed it was a problem that needed solving, and once a system of measures that was actually better came out, it got adopted (though it took a while). Importantly, there was no real downside for French people adjusting to it before their foreign neighbors because different systems of measurement was already the status quo. However, clocks and calendars had already been internationally standardized for a longass time so the metric system was adding an extra division which nobody wanted

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Do some thermodynamics problems with metric units (eg Celsius/Kelvin) and then do them with imperial units (eg fahrenheit) and no one will ever start this stupid derail again.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If you like Fahrenheit so much maybe you should take over the world and impose it on everyone.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

Speak for yourself! I’ll be back at 8:75.

https://minkukel.com/scripts/metric-clock/

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

buddy, they don't even let me gently caress the oil

:lol: holy poo poo

I appreciated this joke, sir. Well played.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

If my CEO came to my office and told me I hadn’t received a raise in 10 years, even though I had, and then told me my raise was 10% this year, even though it wasn’t, I’d find a new job ASAP

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Argas posted:

If you like Fahrenheit so much maybe you should take over the world and impose it on everyone.

Finally, a forever war I can get behind.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

idiotsavant posted:

Do some thermodynamics problems with metric units (eg Celsius/Kelvin) and then do them with imperial units (eg fahrenheit) and no one will ever start this stupid derail again.

The reason is this. Either system works for day to day use, despite the dumb arguments people like to make in F's favour. They're just scales, and working with either will make you familiar with what some degree means relative to another.

C is better for real work and F existing at all causes headaches all the time. Similar headaches to America's dumbass date formatting.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Krabboss posted:

The reason is this. Either system works for day to day use, despite the dumb arguments people like to make in F's favour. They're just scales, and working with either will make you familiar with what some degree means relative to another.

C is better for real work and F existing at all causes headaches all the time. Similar headaches to America's dumbass date formatting.

The other date formatting is also dumb and the one correct format is year month day because then dates alphabetize properly

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Krabboss posted:

Similar headaches to America's dumbass date formatting.

lol

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Most of my "cooking" merely requires turning on the stovetop burners; I am blissfully free of thoughts of numbers.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Krabboss posted:

Have we discussed tracker vs. electro-pneumatic vs. electric solenoid actions in pipe organ manufacture and play in USPOL lately? I wonder what the fecalness thinks?

"Falsehoods":

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/president-donald-trump-s-10-biggest-falsehoods-2018-n949121?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Young Freud posted:

There was also a belief among Western elites, like Chamberlain, that Stalin and Communism were a bigger threat than Hitler and facisim. They were hoping that Hitler would end up picking a fight with Stalin, who ended up signing a non-aggresion pact treaty with one another, did the Devil's Triangle on Poland, then Hitler turned his attentions to the Low Countries and France.
Everyone forgets poor Denmark and Norway

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I'm slightly bummed I missed art/design chat earlier, temperature chat is much lamer. Also Sister Wendy just died, and I know which one she'd have preferred :colbert:

Anyway, happy belated holidays, you grouchy fucks. I hope you had a better time than Trump did.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

The other date formatting is also dumb and the one correct format is year month day because then dates alphabetize properly

YYYY/MM/DD makes sense for archives. For normal daily use, it makes the most sense to have the only number which changes daily be front and centre.

It wouldn't be a problem to switch between these two things since it's clear when the year has changed places. America's system just has to go away so there's no more confusion about what 12/05 means.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Months are fake

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1077994851608813573?s=19

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
"Reporting for duty - in style! Melania Trump is on-theme in $1,000 military-inspired jacket as she and husband make surprise visit to Iraq - in their FIRST visit to a war zone"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6530947/Melania-Trump-theme-1-000-military-inspired-Victoria-Beckham-jacket-trip-Iraq.html

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
"We're going to lose both of our incomes right now. If we don't get back pay, that will be a significant impact. Healthcare, insurance all comes out of that check. That's really scary."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/12/26/trump-claims-workers-support-shutdown-border-wall-unpaid-federal-employees-set

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Rust Martialis posted:

You mean a 32-212 scale

Fahrenheit is a 0-100 scale, but the scale is adjusted to human comfort level. It’s easily relatable, at 0 your skin hurts from the cold and at 100 it hurts from the heat. In between there are so many more units to describe how [un]comfortable it is.

Celsius is detached from the human experience, so it may be better for science but not day to day life.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

They're pretty much the same because you have to take specific heat and/or thermal conductivity into consideration, so you have constant multipliers in the mix regardless of your system.

Thermo problems are piss easy in both systems compared to things like orbital mechanics, where the fact that the gravity on Earth's surface is incorporated into the fundamental units of the Imperial system becomes a huge pain in the rear end (e.g. a 200 lbm person on Earth weighs 200 lbf, while that same 200 lbm person would weigh 33 lbf on the moon).

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Weirdly finding myself missing food details today

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

This is insane. The part of “voter fraud!!!” wants to loosen penalties for election fraud.

They must know this poo poo runs deep there.

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1078100572119670784?s=21

These loving people.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 27, 2018

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Crow Jane posted:

I'm slightly bummed I missed art/design chat earlier, temperature chat is much lamer. Also Sister Wendy just died, and I know which one she'd have preferred :colbert:

Anyway, happy belated holidays, you grouchy fucks. I hope you had a better time than Trump did.

Wendy died? Aw man, I always liked her fries.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Isn't that @funder guy a massive grifter? Not in the attention seeking sense like a lot of twitter #resistance types, but like actual embezzlement/not technically embezzlement but come on we all know what's going on here?

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Groovelord Neato posted:

they shoulda used the access hollywood tape.

https://twitter.com/coton_luver/status/993700838903185408

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

She's come a long way since National Lampoon's Senior Trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

1glitch0 posted:

Wendy died? Aw man, I always liked her fries.

The art nun, not the mascot