Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

And this is why the WiiU failed to sell initially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Over There posted:

Breath of the Wild is fun to explore until you realize there is nothing to do.

When does this happen?

I'm 140 hours in and still have stuff to do.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Nothing can make Gain Ground a good game

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Agahnim posted:

No, the Wii U is a different console from the Wii. The Wii doesn't support the Wii U controller or any Wii U games.

You can see the Wii in some shots in the trailer for the Wii U. It's below the TV, on the right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
I hope Celeste cops a sale because I keep buying stuff I think I might want that's on sale instead of buying stuff I definitely want that's not on sale. It looks like a rad platformer independent of story. I'm getting fatigued with all the mental health discourse of the last few years but Celeste just looks like good clean fun.

Dead Cells has been outstanding. Fantastic game. I've not played (I will play) Hollow Knight or Shovel Knight or the similar titles but it's a seismic upgrade on Rogue Legacy which was a game I loved. If this were a Switch exclusive it'd be a console seller. I can't wait to get it home and plug it into the big screen.

Mario + Rabbids has been a delight. The overworld stuff is an unwelcome intrusion but it's not a showstopper, X-Com without the tension/attrition works much better than it has any right to and I'll be playing this in chunks for weeks. Loving it, as I'm sure I'd have loved it when I was younger.

Puyo Puyo Tetris has been... Puyo Puyo and Tetris I guess. I knew what I was getting. I think I'd have preferred dedicated versions of the games separately but it's definitely Puyo Puyo and Tetris. I'm waiting for Lumines on sale, too, and recommendations on anything that's going to scratch the same itch as those two would be appreciated.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Junkie Disease posted:

Nothing can make Gain Ground a good game

What's the matter with it? I was going to grab it because i want more flip grip fodder.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Brother Entropy posted:

loving hipsters and their...[checks notes] stories about things

Oh this meme again

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I can dig the meditation on anxiety and depression stuff, I'm just not into the a bit SuperMeatBoy-ish style of platformer level design Celeste seems to have. The spiky challenge screen type stuff etc. Tempted since I keep hearing about it, aspects of it are up my alley, but that's one game with a lot of buzz that doesn't look like I'd really enjoy playing.

And while I love 2D games, it's been a while since platforming in one really grabbed me. Though Mega Man 11 and Shantae are solid. I like Mario 64 better than any 2D Marios, speaking of platformers, so I just bought A Hat In Time (different platform) which looks like a good game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Gripweed posted:

You can see the Wii in some shots in the trailer for the Wii U. It's below the TV, on the right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e3qaPg_keg

No that's actually what the WiiU looks like, even in that early state. It looks like a Wii laid flat with rounder edges. And that's why no one could tell them apart.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Celeste is definitely a twitchy hard quick platformer, but its also very smartly designed and constantly encouraging you to go just that bit further. While SMB and Slime-San are nonstop gauntlets, Celeste gives you an insane challenge and then tells you again and again that you can conquer it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

FPzero posted:

No that's actually what the WiiU looks like, even in that early state. It looks like a Wii laid flat with rounder edges. And that's why no one could tell them apart.

They keep saying, "New Controller". The tout the abilities of the new controller. They show people playing Wii games and using Wii apps on the new controllers. If the Wii U was a whole new system and not a new controller for the Wii, I think they would've said that literally anywhere in the announcement

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

They keep saying, "New Controller". The tout the abilities of the new controller. They show people playing Wii games and using Wii apps on the new controllers. If the Wii U was a whole new system and not a new controller for the Wii, I think they would've said that literally anywhere in the announcement

Nintendo’s marketing department is made entirely by idiots. See, the 3DS, which I initially thought was just an upgraded DS that could do 3D on certain games and not a completely different line of consoles, or the New 3DS, which I think was named just so that trying to buy a used one would turn into a “who’s on first” routine.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Gripweed posted:

Wait are you serious right now?

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

super mario odyssey might be the greatest nintendo game ever made

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

alf_pogs posted:

SMASHTALK: classic mode > wol

As someone that has spent 80% of my Smashing on WoL, gonna agree. Is the goal for Classic to beat it with every character?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Look Sir Droids posted:

As someone that has spent 80% of my Smashing on WoL, gonna agree. Is the goal for Classic to beat it with every character?

That's what I'm doing

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

the goal for classic is whatever you want it to be

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDV5YJ5NwF8

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gripweed posted:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i am tryin to knock it out with all characters, then unlock all the challenge board pieces. so far my best character score is with dedede, and dorf a close second.

havin real trouble not dying to master / crazy hand duo though. they feel completely broken, juggling me into oblivion nonstop

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
World of Light? More like Waste of Labor.

WoL was a huge chore and classic mode is a much more fun way to unlock characters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Serenade posted:

World of Light? More like Waste of Labor.

WoL was a huge chore and classic mode is a much more fun way to unlock characters.

I enjoy WoL because of all the weird matches, but the steady rate of new dudes you get playing classic make it so much more satisfying.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I mean they tried to drop the game part once with a theatrical release Final Fantasy CG movie. It turned out, uh, good-ish.

The movie was such a disaster that it resulted in Squaresoft ceasing to exist.

Advent children wasn't very good either but it didn't literally destroy the company and force it to merge with another to avoid total collapse.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Advent Children rocked! Though I like the shorter original cut better. Worth it for that One Winged Angel rendition alone, that's some good music.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Heavy Metal posted:

Advent Children rocked! Though I like the shorter original cut better. Worth it for that One Winged Angel rendition alone, that's some good music.

Yeah the AC soundtrack is real good

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is any USB3 LAN adapter going to work as far as anyone knows or is this gonna be another dock situation?

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Empress Brosephine posted:

If you don’t like hipster games is Celeste ok? Someone said it has a story about anxiety and I rolled my eyes and looked away but everyone says it’s good or is it good because it’s “deep”lmbo

The plot is stupid/bad, and the only people who like it are those who think they're smart for understanding all the surface-level metaphors "It's so deep you guys, she's literally running away from herself":rolleyes:. But aside from that, it's a super tight platformer and is a blast to play. Just skip the plot, the rest of the game is definitely worth playing.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I love my flipgrip but beyond a handfull of shooters and shittons of pinball there isnt much on the switch that comes from the arcade era thats worth playing (pinball and those shooters are super worth playing).
Gain Ground is drat boring and was tired and uninspired in 1988

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I've seen way more goons mad about celestes plot (lots) than calling it "deep" (none).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

also botw's unarmed attack is bombs

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's me, the guy who bought Gain Ground and used my flip grip to play it

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Even with poison immunity the fight against Big Boss is kicking my rear end. That Kirby fight with all the star rods can eat a bowl of dicks as well.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Waffle! posted:

Even with poison immunity the fight against Big Boss is kicking my rear end. That Kirby fight with all the star rods can eat a bowl of dicks as well.

Take Bowser or DK or something big and heavy and a 3 slot spirit and slot in HUEG transformation and a !-block spirit to be large metal [insert character]

Then just smash all dem star rod kirbys off the stage left and right

ez

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Hey switch thread, I'm really disappointed right now because I've looked at every Super Mario Odyssey LP and none of them titled themselves Hat the Planet. That's all.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Crabtree posted:

Hey switch thread, I'm really disappointed right now because I've looked at every Super Mario Odyssey LP and none of them titled themselves Hat the Planet. That's all.

Looks like there is a niche to be filled

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Is any USB3 LAN adapter going to work as far as anyone knows or is this gonna be another dock situation?

Any USB 3.0 gigabit LAN adapter should work, just be sure to plug it into the 3.0 port inside the dock.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Waffle! posted:

If you're willing to wait, in the very last area of the game, theres a madame butterfly spirit that makes poison heal you. Completely trivializes the Boss fight.

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

Waffle! posted:

It occurred me with that fight that I shouldn’t fight her so I used jugglypuff to float under the platform and hit her as she chased me. It felt so good floating away.

I gotta go through the other fights I skipped and cheese them now.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Heath posted:

It's me, the guy who bought Gain Ground and used my flip grip to play it

Inhuman trash!
Is it as fun as I remember?
Sweet lord a month from nowish we'll have downwell on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There might have been discussion about this already but I picked up Horizon Chase Turbo and it's a really solid arcade racer! It's perfection with the SF30 Pro.

Also I can't believe the Switch is a few months away from being two years old. Man, this is a freaking great little console.