Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
i waited 6 months for that??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
its hard to care anymore
maybe next week's episode will be good/better

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!

Ultraklystron posted:

But that'd require some kind of Bloodstone, and where on Earth would you find that?!!?

The lighthouse above the temple.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

underage at the vape shop posted:

i waited 6 months for that??

it seems like the show only premiers weekly at times when premiering as a bomb would be a better idea tbh

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
did i miss an episode? this one is listed as 25 and i went back and checked and the last one was 24 and there is zero resolution with 24.

I like how Homeworld is like a horrible version of the Beast's castle, where everything is a live.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Reminder that boarder Tom Herpich co-created Lemongrab and was one of the main guys responsible for the season 5 Lemongrab arc

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
its been 2 years and 4 months since we've seen jasper

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I am so glad I seem to have the ability to just forget about this show when it's not on the air. Because jesus christ, the fastest way to ruin this show for myself would be to expect the episodes to feel as good as the break between them was long.

Bongo Bill posted:

The whole conflict of the series isn't gonna get resolved with one song's worth of epiphanies. A show as queer as this isn't gonna turn out to be about the redemptive power of family ties. All of this softening of the Diamonds is necessary to show us why Steven thinks what he's about to do is gonna work. What he's about to do is, effectively, ask "What if Pink Diamond just did with her family what I did with mine?" - which is a failure of empathy, taking it for granted that his experiences are applicable to others' without examining the effect of his own privilege. And it's gonna backfire on him, sure as Goku has to get beaten up before he can win.
The Ball isn't going to solve everything neatly and instantly because, as you say, Goku has to get beaten up before he can win.

But Goku knows he's gotta beat up the other guy to win. He doesn't try violence first and then try talking it out when he gets beat up in the first part of the fight.

Steven's plan is not going to go off like he expects, but the principle of empathizing this weird semi-sapient automated empire into oblivion is pretty solid and obviously what has to happen.

On that note, why do gems have so many emotions? Their world is horrific because you have all these essentially human-like consciousnesses trapped in the most pointless mindless process of consumption that has no use for all the thoughts and feelings that they obviously have in abundance.

The god drat walls gossiping really drives home how essentially creepy this society is. And the thing is, there's no difference between the talking walls and all the other thinking and feeling gems. None of them belong in this world. It feels like something's gone horribly, horribly wrong to put thinking beings in this kind of situation.

It's almost like it's some sort of commentary.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

I’ll never get tired of this thread predicting that the crew has written themselves into a corner and everything will be horrible and there’s no way it can get better, and then the actual episode comes out and surprise the professional writers are better than amateur nerds and the show is still going fine.
I don't do this about this show, because they've earned my trust, but I understand why people do. We've had our trust broken too many times by showrunners who don't have a road map claiming that they do and then forcing us to reckon the fact that the time we've invested in their show was now going to retroactively feel like wasted time.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

twistedmentat posted:

did i miss an episode? this one is listed as 25 and i went back and checked and the last one was 24 and there is zero resolution with 24.

I like how Homeworld is like a horrible version of the Beast's castle, where everything is a live.

Did you see The Reunion because I didn't and had no idea it existed until today.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This would probably be easier to follow if they weren't releasing episodes more reluctantly than bank robbers under siege release hostages, but think back to our first look at Homeworld from space: it's broken. And it's certainly not without precedent to have the status of a ruler reflected on the geography of their kingdom, and vice versa.

It was mentioned that given the queer and minority themes of the show, that there certainly isn't going to be a 'family bonds shine through' moral to this story, and it's clear that the Diamonds, as a family and as a ruling unit, are also broken, and probably irreparably dysfunctional. Even without getting into their personal issues, they've been perpetuating an awful system of creating and enslaving life and parasitically destroying alien life for aeons and see absolutely no problem with it, til Pink came along, and look where that got her. White Diamond is probably corrupted, cracked, insane, space senile or otherwise compromised, Blue Diamond seems sympathetic because of her depression but has shown signs of being little better than the rest, and Yellow Diamond has gone full hog into doing things the way she always has, and we've seen how she treats her underlings. Pink Diamond was right in that the only way she'd ever escape her space tyrant family is to fake her own death. (especially since it's pretty clear that she'd be otherwise stuck in that dynamic forever, since they're all immortal)

From what I understand of the observed behavioural cycles of abusive families, 'Pink's' return has brought them to a honeymoon period; after all that trouble everything's good now, we can be happy, we can go back to the way things were before. It's not going to last, the return to 'normalcy' is always going to be a build-up to an outburst of some kind, especially when 'Pink' refuses to act like 'she's' supposed to, and after six thousand years the Diamonds aren't going to be able to just return to the old routine. (even discounting White Diamond's situation) But while Steven recognises the family dynamics and the issues of being the baby of a group that's his senior, he has yet to really notice how big the problems are compared to the Crystal Gems. (and THEY were merely a couple of traumatised war veterans and a displaced child who'd lost their leader figure and still trying to figure out life on an alien world and raising a child that no one could be prepared for) Or at least, he's aware that there are limited options available to him at this point, and throwing a party is one of those that's well within his skillset, and probably a good idea to scope out the situation and one of the only ways to get all the Diamonds in one place.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Based on the next couple of episode titles, I'm going to guess that Steven makes a major faux pas at the party, probably fusing with Connie, and is going to be grounded in his room for several thousand years and has to escape.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I wanna know what's up with those wall gems. What do they do? Are they just... the wall but are also sentient? Are they cool with not being able to move around? Do they do anything? What was up with those guys

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Macaluso posted:

I wanna know what's up with those wall gems. What do they do? Are they just... the wall but are also sentient? Are they cool with not being able to move around? Do they do anything? What was up with those guys

The gems as architecture really unsettle me. There are dozens of gem sites on Earth that are as far as we know are not made like Lovecraftian gem coral amalgamations; why go through the process of forming gems to use as Lego?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Maybe some kind of surveillance system? Like a fugitive happens and Yellow's like "Hey you, did a cracked Citrine come through this corridor?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also definitely looks like Topazes are the designated Royal Guard gems. Steadfastly loyal, strongly disciplined, walking tanks.

The crew weren't kidding that Gems get weirder and less humanoid as we get closer to Homeworld.

Oh, Comby appears to be a Pebble created by Blue Diamond specifically, given she shares Blue's voice actor, while the Pink Pebbles share either Pink or Steven's VA. I think this definitely confirms that creating life is something all Diamonds can do, though it remains to be seen whether they potentially share Pink's ability to animate and empower organic life or it's something unique to her.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 27, 2018

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

subpar anachronism posted:

The gems as architecture really unsettle me. There are dozens of gem sites on Earth that are as far as we know are not made like Lovecraftian gem coral amalgamations; why go through the process of forming gems to use as Lego?

I think it's a side effect of being next to the extraction rooms, like how Steven accidentally made a pebble. They get misted with extraction gunk every time the doors open, eventually they come to life.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I think it's a side effect of being next to the extraction rooms, like how Steven accidentally made a pebble. They get misted with extraction gunk every time the doors open, eventually they come to life.

But is that a bug that isn't worth it to patch out or WAD?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
If it was a WAD, it'd be sectors and linedefs coming to life instead of walls.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
The body-horror holo-horror of the gem architecture puts Bismuth’s job as builder in a weird light.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaunab posted:

Did you see The Reunion because I didn't and had no idea it existed until today.

I have never heard of this at all. episode 24 ends with the Diamonds realizing Steven is Pink then...Bam we're on homeworld and I missed White Diamond.

Even googling it doesn't get me anything.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

twistedmentat posted:

I have never heard of this at all. episode 24 ends with the Diamonds realizing Steven is Pink then...Bam we're on homeworld and I missed White Diamond.

Even googling it doesn't get me anything.

You missed the episode that leaked months ago and was finally aired last week 'Legs from here to homeworld'

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

The ep you're looking for is Legs From Here to Homeworld, which was shown at comic con and released on the app a few weeks after the July Bomb and premiere on TV just a week ago

e;FBI

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I like the idea that gems have developed technology like Dune and Warhammer 40k. They have forbidden thinking machines so they just use gems.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

MikeJF posted:

I've watched the episode like twice and still missed this, when was this?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Kazy posted:

I've watched the episode like twice and still missed this, when was this?

During the song when he was at the console looking at the drawings his mom made of the Diamonds.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gann Jerrod posted:

The body-horror holo-horror of the gem architecture puts Bismuth’s job as builder in a weird light.

I'm assuming that the living architecture thing is a Homeworld or near-Homeworld exclusive thing, seeing as how we haven't seen it on Earth. Like it's a statement piece more than anything. "Our power is so absolute, even the walls live in fear of us... because we made them to-mawhahahaha" or "Don't you dare step out of line or we'll poof you and you'll wake up as a wall or something." Or more likely "We have so much resources we can literally make walls out of people--oh poo poo the planet fractured. Oops."

I'm kind of reminded of Final Fantasy XIII and one little horrifying factoid that flies under the radar because it's buried in a datalog somewhere and Matomu Toriyama was a shitass storyteller: the city of Eden is actually one giant fal'Cie comprised of millions of smaller minor fal'Cie inside even that. Basically everything in the city is a fal'Cie, including the walls and doors and no one realizes it.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 27, 2018

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MikeJF posted:

Well, I assume it's the same power that created the Watermelon Stevens and Pumpkin and so on.

One can only wonder what horrors lie within Beach City's sewer system.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Gann Jerrod posted:

Well, I guess the diamonds get sick of their walls having ears.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Remember that the Earth colony was, for Gems at the time, new and state of the art, and from Peridot's tone implied to be one of the most ambitious ones yet, but obviously it was unfinished. While the Diamonds' palace(s) are probably very old and have been in active use all this time, likely made with very different plans and with older/different styles by Gem standards. (Isn't certain if there's travel implied offscreen, but Homeworld presumably has an active warp pad network that would prioritise Diamond business above everything) Half the living furniture might not even have been intentional, but a side-effect of Diamonds hanging around, as Steven creates Pebbles by accident.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I suspect the walls being sapient might be an Era 2 thing. Lapis did say Homeworld was very different, and much worse, than it was when she left in Era 1. Plus, only parts of the gem architecture on Earth are sapient. Era 1 gems clearly used gems as tools, like the sandstone or Lapis' mirror, but it was less ubiquitous and generally the tool was an artifact with some special purpose. The culture didn't appear to worship treating individuals as objects, so much.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Gann Jerrod posted:

She and Peridot have more in common than we realized.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One can only wonder what horrors lie within Beach City's sewer system.

The final boss is the gem we never knew, the puppetmaster behind it all

Coprolite

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't actually get a feel of horror from the wall-gems? It was unsettling at first, but it seemed less like an "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" thing and more like...this is just normal for them. It would be terrifying to be a human in that situation, but they're aliens--not just any aliens, but inorganic life. Living rocks. They're used to just waiting around.

The Crystal Gems so often talk about 5000 years ago like it was just yesterday; maybe hanging out as the walls in a palace for a few hundred years is the gem equivalent of an eight-hour shift.

(Lapis had problems being trapped in a mirror so long, but during that whole time she was isolated, disembodied, cracked, used as a tool by her enemies, left behind by her friends, etc. There's a lot more going on there, is my point.)

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't actually get a feel of horror from the wall-gems? It was unsettling at first, but it seemed less like an "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream" thing and more like...this is just normal for them. It would be terrifying to be a human in that situation, but they're aliens--not just any aliens, but inorganic life. Living rocks. They're used to just waiting around.

The Crystal Gems so often talk about 5000 years ago like it was just yesterday; maybe hanging out as the walls in a palace for a few hundred years is the gem equivalent of an eight-hour shift.

(Lapis had problems being trapped in a mirror so long, but during that whole time she was isolated, disembodied, cracked, used as a tool by her enemies, left behind by her friends, etc. There's a lot more going on there, is my point.)

This makes it feel like the wall-gems and the pebbles are more accidental than anything planned. If they just spontaneously sprang to life due to the environment, they might exist more the way animals do in nature. The pebbles seemed more fearful of Steven than anything until he actually spoke to and interacted with them (much as Pink surely would have). The walls aren't really going anywhere, so their whole existence is probably just chatting amongst themselves and being interrupted periodically by gems going about their business...that's all they've probably ever really known so there's no reason to think they'd feel otherwise about it. They probably aren't all that intelligent, even if they do seem to have some level of sentience to them.

Lapis on the other hand has agency and has lived as a (at some time rather important) gem in society, so to her being trapped alone in a tool where your mind is bent to the will of the person using would surely be slow, agonizing torture.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don’t think it’s accidental, but more that the walls and combs haven’t known anything but this life. You can’t really yearn for freedom if you’ve spent all of existence (which for you can be aeons) in one spot doing one job. There’s likely a cultural influence as well, with tool and architecture Gems being raised from “birth” to expect this as normal.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There weren't any living furniture at the Zoo, which is still designed after Pink Diamond.

It's most likely just something that the Diamonds' personal chambers have.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im telling you guys. No thinking machines, only gems. Now they have lookouts for any would be assassins.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
There's also something to be noted about the parallel between the pebbles building furniture on the fly in Pink's room and the fluffy clouds making whatever you desire in Rose's temple room. They accomplish the same basic effect, but former has a mechanical, janky feeling and the latter is ethereal and magical.

I am tempted to say that the temple room is advanced "lost tech" and that the Era 2 diamonds are attempting to recreate the former glory with pebbles in the walls. But the pebbles remembered Rose fondly, so that can't be it. Still, you'd think that if they had access to the temple's technology on Homeworld then they'd be using it. I guess it points back again to there being something special about Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I would guess it's related to the identity of the fusion that the Temple is based on. Heterogeneous fusions have unprecedented powers far beyond those of their constituents, and a fusion with a bond as strong as the five surviving Crystal Gems would've been a mighty one indeed. The magic that makes the Temple work is as unknown on Homeworld as the love that binds together those who live in it.

White Diamond lives inside an enormous statue of herself (it's also a spaceship, presumably) and all those who enter it are her servants. The statue that the Crystal Gems live in is a statue of a fusion that even incorporates human architecture that was literally built by Greg. Plus it incorporates overt biological designs, including a circulatory system, which only someone who has studied Earth life would think to include. Has any Homeworld gem ever used shapeshifting to give herself internal organs? Only Earth dwellers, I think.

We know how the Temple works. It's made of love. How can a home without love work? Some unseen crime against humanity, apparently. Little cheerful Doozer-like slaves. Construction materials that are conscious servants whose job is to keep the roof up, looking for all the world like they're about to mug for the camera and say "Eh, it's a living." (It adds to the sense of intrigue if the walls literally have ears, too.)

This isn't the first time Steven has discovered the true nature of a home by venturing inside its walls, but it's surely more sinister than Onion's whole... thing.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 27, 2018