Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you're only interested in the vive, why not just buy a rift for cheaper or a Samsung Odyssey or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I agree, compared to the original (non-pro) Vive, the Rift has a slightly sharper image which helps tremendously in games with text (like racing games, elite dangerous etc.). Plus, the Rift can operate with a single camera that is much smaller than the lighthouses if you using it only in a sitting position (e.g. racing). You can buy a second camera and the controllers separately. (mind you, the Vive can also operate with a single lighthouse, but it keeps reminding you that "one is missing"...or at least it used to, don't know if they changed that).

If you wanna get the headset for an overall (not only sim racing) VR-setup, I'd recommend the Vive though, as the room tracking and the controllers are better, imo.

But for pure simracing, the rift is the better fit imo.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
If using it just for sitting wouldn't it be best to get a wmr headset?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'd do other stuff with it, beat saber, h3vr, I'd use the wands too

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

so what are the odds that dirt rally 2.0 corrects everything wrong with dirt 4 and is a satisfying followup to dirt rally ?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Qmass posted:

so what are the odds that dirt rally 2.0 corrects everything wrong with dirt 4 and is a satisfying followup to dirt rally ?

Given that Paul Coleman, the main producer of Dirt Rally isn't at Codemasters any more, I'll give it 30%.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Harminoff posted:

If using it just for sitting wouldn't it be best to get a wmr headset?

WMR headsets are nice, but some games don't like to work on them. DiRT Rally is a pain in the dick to get working (if at all) and Assetto Corsa isn't terribly pleasant either.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'd do other stuff with it, beat saber, h3vr, I'd use the wands too

get the vive, imo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

If you're only interested in the vive, why not just buy a rift for cheaper or a Samsung Odyssey or something?

My thought is $600 is only $100 more than the vive itself. I can probably sell the rest of the stuff for $400, getting me a Vive for half the price of a Rift

It’s really roundabout, I know, but if I can make it work, it would be cool

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 8, 2018

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My thought is $600 is only $100 more than the vive itself. I can probably sell the rest of the stuff for $400, getting me a Vive for half the price of a Rift

It’s really roundabout, I know, but if I can make it work, it would be cool

My first thought is the cost of time associated with finding a buyer for the leftovers. These things don't move very quickly unless you ship (cuts into the savings) or you live in a metropolitan area.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So Fanatec released the F1 V2 rim. Basically the same as the limited edition one, but in red, and without the cutouts on the bottom. Compared to many bespoke F1 rims which run into the thousands of dollars (though with a full display most of the time), the pricing is okay-ish.

The podium shifter upgrade though....180 eur...bit hard to swallow, but I basically paid the same over time to upgrade my V1 F1 rim to the same options (but without magnetic shifters, and with one pair of shift paddles less....which would work well for stuff like brake balance +/-, DRS, ERS modes etc.)

Pretty expensive for the whole package, but still far away from the bespoke stuff, and I assume the quality will be the same as with other clubsport stuff, so actually pretty drat good.

But they are jacking up the prices left and right....I assume the first podium rim will run around 600+ EUR...

https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-formula-v2.html

https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/steering-wheel-accessories/podium-advanced-paddles-module-eu.html

e: also I don't really like the trapezoid leds. If you are doing sim stuff, why not do it in the same look as the actuall stuff. Is there some stupid lawsuit I am not aware off?

tuo fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 13, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Got my son an Oculus Rift for Christmas and we're having a blast with it.

Tried Dirt Rally on it just now, a couple of sprints in the Cosworth. Freaking awesome right up until I got motion sick and had to quit :laffo:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

Got my son an Oculus Rift for Christmas and we're having a blast with it.

Tried Dirt Rally on it just now, a couple of sprints in the Cosworth. Freaking awesome right up until I got motion sick and had to quit :laffo:

I got really bad motion sickness at first, took me a while to get used to it. Turning off any view-bobbing options helps too

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
I found that setting up my rig in a more realistic sitting position helped my nausea a lot, and reduced the nausea that my guests would get.

Other than that it just took a while to get used to it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Yeah I definitely need to work on the setup, regardless.

The wheel stand is perfect for the couch where we play, but even with the desk chair at its lowest, it's still not low enough to get the wheel up where I like it - the stand just runs out of height.

I'm going to keep the vr settings at the most comfortable for a while too - finally being able to truly look into turns and such isn't worth barfing all over myself. But it's so freaking cool.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm thinking of selling my sim racing setup. What do you think would be a reasonable price for what I've got? I'm in Detroit if anybody here might be interested. Most of it is 2-3 years old (except the monitors, they're slightly older) and I haven't touched it for a whole year. :v: I just tested it and everything works as normal.

Three 24" monitors, 1080p 60hz
triple monitor stand, adjusts height and angles
T300RS Ferrari alcantara edition
T3PA pedals (gas, brake w/rubber cone mod, clutch)
TH8A shifter w/6 speed and sequential gates
wood cockpit with Honda Prelude (I think?) seat that still adjusts on the slider and reclines

Have a blurry picture

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm not in the market but that rig is sweet and I'm very jealous.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm not in the market but that rig is sweet and I'm very jealous.

Thanks! Took me awhile to get it how I wanted... and then never use it again. May have something to do with having a kid though.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

what car model is that in the background?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

That looks like the lego technic "24 hour race car" kit. I don't think they make that one anymore.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Yep, that's the one.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/24-Hours-Race-Car-42039

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hnnnnngggggg https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product/Porsche-911-RSR-42096

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Yeah I definitely need to work on the setup, regardless.

The wheel stand is perfect for the couch where we play, but even with the desk chair at its lowest, it's still not low enough to get the wheel up where I like it - the stand just runs out of height.

I'm going to keep the vr settings at the most comfortable for a while too - finally being able to truly look into turns and such isn't worth barfing all over myself. But it's so freaking cool.

If you aren't looking into turns then you're just playing in 3d, not VR. You probably just kinda misspoke though.

Its funny, most people I've demoed VR for tend to lock up and keep their head perfectly straight almost the whole time. I feel obligated to then show them you can actually play while moving your head. That's really the whole point!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Oh, I'm definitely looking into turns. Now that I'm getting used to driving in VR, I don't get bad motion sickness and I've pulled off some of my best Scandinavian flicks ever.

I ended up cutting down the legs of a wooden chair that we had, and the lower position has helped too.

Oh my god. I may want that more than the bucket excavator.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Only tangentially related, but Ian Bell must have gone way beyond the deep end, because he's apparently bragging about SMS releasing their own console (or sort of computer thingy) in future.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I saw a summary of him word vomiting that basically said PCars 3 was going to be more like Need for Speed Shift, but also still totally sim focused, but also fun. Someone at that studio needs to tell him to just stop being online.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

When I read his twitter in regard to 60 FPS VR on the new console, I had a laugh a bit. He quickly corrected himself by saying "60 FPS per eye".

Project Cars 2's VR implementation is one of the best, I have to admit, but getting > 90 FPS (or the claimed 120 FPS) in VR takes quite some high-level hardware, and with a pretty minimal advances between the 1080 and 2080 GPUs, I't gonna be interesting what SMS plans to put into this console, and at what pricepoint. (as they are delivering it with their own engine, which also powered PCars2)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So this arrived this morning:

As expected, it's a very cool thing, but I'd say if you have either the "older" F1 rim or the one they put into the Elite series, and you don't need the five new knobs plus two toggle switches, it's (obviously) not worth the money, because from the back it looks identical to the older F1 rim, so maybe you can add the podium paddles to the older rim also? I hope so. Build quality is what you'd expect of a Club Series Fanatec rim, everything feels pretty awesome.

I still don't like the oddly shaped LEDs, but that's a pretty minor thing.

Overall, Fanatec seems to position itself more and more inbetween the super-expensive bespoke stuff and the "high-end" stuff from mass produced items. Gonna be interesting how they price the podium series rims (I assume that for example the podium series F1 rim will come with a large LCD display, which I totally don't need in VR).

e: as I was asked before: the two thumb wheels only provide two inputs per switch, plus and minus. The three switch dials provide multiple inputs.

tuo fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 3, 2019

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
You definitely can't add the Podium paddles to the ClubSport Formula rim, that's stated on the webpage for the paddles.

I didn't realise that this rim wasn't already classed as Podium, but you're right, all of the Formula rims are described as ClubSport. Will be interesting to see if there will be Podium rims that aren't just fully-optioned ClubSport rims. Like you say, I can't imagine what else they could do other than put in a large LCD.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Smirk posted:

You definitely can't add the Podium paddles to the ClubSport Formula rim, that's stated on the webpage for the paddles.

I didn't realise that this rim wasn't already classed as Podium, but you're right, all of the Formula rims are described as ClubSport. Will be interesting to see if there will be Podium rims that aren't just fully-optioned ClubSport rims. Like you say, I can't imagine what else they could do other than put in a large LCD.

Uh, they are listed as an option for the new ClubSport Formula 1 rim. Fanatec itself offers them as an option. That's why I inspected the back/shifter part, and it's the same as the V1 F1 rims. So the question is wether they firmware-lock them to the V2 rims.

e: okay, now I see what you mean. So I can only assume they are firmware locked, as the (non-pcb) hardware seems to be same between the V1 and V2. There is a different pcb in there.

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 3, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Now that iracing has support for multiswitches, those could come in handy.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
My bad, I should have been clearer that I meant the ClubSport Formula V1 specifically. Actually, they don't even call it that on their website - the V1 rims are referred to as the ClubSport Formula Black and ClubSport Formula Carbon.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Smirk posted:

My bad, I should have been clearer that I meant the ClubSport Formula V1 specifically. Actually, they don't even call it that on their website - the V1 rims are referred to as the ClubSport Formula Black and ClubSport Formula Carbon.

Nah, everything you said was perfectly true, it was me who got it wrong.

About getting it wrong, though: Fanatec bitched about certifications and stuff for some time, blaming missed deadlines and increasing prices on certification tasks.

V1 F1 Rim:

V2 F1 Rim:

I guess CE certification is no longer something Fanatec finds worthy for a premium product :lol:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Haha loving China Export? From a "real" company? I mean I hope it's just that their supplier used the wrong stamp but that's super illegal, they should maybe look into that before they get sued forever.

e: Also CE marking stuff is a piece of piss, ultimately all you have to do is sign a doc as a company saying "this isn't going to kill or maim anyone" so when they say it's "too expensive" that likely means "we think this is probably dangerous so need to pay someone to take responsibility"

Vando fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 3, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Only tangentially related, but Ian Bell must have gone way beyond the deep end, because he's apparently bragging about SMS releasing their own console (or sort of computer thingy) in future.

This is now starting to get actual coverage by people thinking it's a thing that's actually going to happen and not be quietly forgotten about when Slightly Mad remember they're a relatively small developer who make OK racing games and aren't a gigantic corporation. From this Variety article

quote:

CEO Ian Bell said in a Tweet Friday that the Mad Box would have a carry handle that pops up out of the top of the center of the system, that it “weighs very little and will talk to other Mad Boxes without cables.”

Earlier this week, Bell spoke with Variety about the in-development system saying that it will ship in about three years and will support major VR headsets with specs equivalent to a very fast PC two years from now.

“We’re in early talks with manufacturers of components so we can’t say much more right now other than we have the designs specced out in detail,” he said.

In a response on Twitter Friday, Bell reaffirmed that the system was “really a console, not a PC,” though he didn’t clarify what that means.

So a console, not a PC in a custom case whatever the difference there is. Also it's not going to be out for 3 years, use technology that'll be top of the line in the next 2, but supposedly they already know how capable it's going to be. He's also talking about having a free development engine which I'd assume would be the Madness Engine (itself I believe a modified GMotor 2) which would be getting on a bit by then unless they're working on a new engine for PCars 3.

And a carry handle, which I can't make jokes about because more consoles should have carrying handles.

Oh and it looks like this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So......in 3 years they're going to sell year old PC's.

Got it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So......in 3 years they're going to sell year old PC's.

Got it.

And what they're selling is likely going to be more expensive than the PS5 and next Xbox, which will be 2 years old at that point.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I just caught up with his antics. He sounds like some 8 year old trying to one up his friends.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get him to buy Gabe Newell lunch and start a conversation about how Valve's attempt at making a console worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

njsykora posted:

Oh and it looks like this.

An IUD with LEDs?