Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

Why did his conscious mind take the form of a hedgehog?

It didn’t.

Mephiles was a being of shadow and darkness and got sealed inside a scepter almost immediately after being created. Later, Shadow accidentally caused him to escape from it and Mephiles was reborn with a physical body after possessing and rising out of Shadow’s own shadow. Basically, he would have looked like anyone who was responsible for letting him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty sure Solaris was a sentient psychic ocean planet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In Sonic 06 he's a hyperdimensional moose bird

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Thread poll:

Please rank the following edgy sonic knockoffs in order, from best to worst:

Infinite
Jet the Hawk
Mephiles
Metal Sonic
Scourge
Shadow the Hedgehog
Silver the Hedgehog

Provide the reasoning behind your ranking.

bonus question:
Argue with me about my decision to include Silver on the list, you colossal nerd.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread poll:

Infinite
Jet the Hawk
Mephiles
Metal Sonic
Scourge
Shadow the Hedgehog
Silver the Hedgehog

bonus question:
Argue with me about my decision to include Silver on the list, you colossal nerd.

Shadow
Infinite
Scourge
Metal Sonic
Then the others *dismissive hand gesture*

I will not provide reasoning

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread poll:

Infinite
Jet the Hawk
Mephiles
Metal Sonic
Scourge
Shadow the Hedgehog
Silver the Hedgehog

bonus question:

Mephiles is an edgy shadow knockoff, not sonic, so if we include him Eclipse should be here too :colbert:
Also while Silver and Jet are sonic knockoffs, they are not edgy, so if we include them Knuckles should be here too

With only those listed:
Infinite's backstory is good, but is only in external material, and then he dies offscreen lmao

I don't actually know anything about Jet except he has a hoverboard

Mephiles is bad and boring. Only good for when Omega shoots him repeatedly and when Shadow takes off his limiter rings or whatever

Metal Sonic is a pretty good sonic knockoff, sonic's speed without his good nature and cool attitude, but he has no real personality beyond "kill Sonic". I like that post-Sonic Heroes Eggman reprogrammed him so he can't betray him any more. I guess preventing robot uprisings was that easy all along, just tell them not to

I read some of the post-Penders, pre-reboot comics but I don't really remember Scourge much :shrug:

Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2 is good, where Metal Sonic is sonic but evil and robotic, Shadow is sonic but evil while still having some level of 'tude. Shadow the Hedgehog gave him guns and a motorbike, which is where the "Sonic with a gun" problem started. After Sonic 06 it mostly depends on whether he's played as generic or shadowlikeshisbike.jpg. Also I like how his permanent super-quills are because Gerald based him on the Super Sonic mural from Sonic 3, in addition to the edge factor. That's what we call Edge Lore

Silver is trunks. I don't know what his deal is post-Sonic 06, it's explained in Sonic Rivals I think but no-one's ever played that

Ranking:
Shadow
Metal
Infinite
Jet/Silver/Scourge
Mephiles

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Infinite's not hedghorg tho

Edit: hah, didn't notice jet on the list

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Who the hell is jet the hawk

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Thread poll:

Infinite
Jet the Hawk
Mephiles
Metal Sonic
Scourge
Shadow the Hedgehog
Silver the Hedgehog

bonus question:

1. Shadow the Hedgehog
Shadow is interesting in that he's kind of a mess. He lives with a bundle of traumas on his back and needs to find ways to work them out. SA2, Heroes, Shadow, and 06 give a sort of narrative arc in which he comes to once more, is given more confusion in his life, seeks answers, and ultimately finds resolution. He's a huge dork. He may have some sort of arrested development, trying to find ways to express himself that come off kind of dorky. Owning and maintaining a motorcycle he doesn't need, teaching himself how to use firearms, etc. In time he comes to understand himself, learns how to put his skills and interests to good use by becoming a secret agent, understands the strange and complicated circumstances of how he has come to be, and also takes an interest in flower arrangement and raising a pet chao.

2. Silver the Hedgehog
Silver, like Shadow, deals with his own sort of trauma. He's from a hosed-up hellscape future where he constantly has to kill demons to survive. His sole ally is Blaze, who has an almost mentor-like role to him. In 06 he finds the golden opportunity: a chance to make things better. He's so caught up in this idea that he doesn't even consider the fact that the person offering it is a weird demon thing. When he first arrives in the past, instead of fire and brimstone, he sees lush greenery. He can't believe it, and this further emboldens him in his quest. Of course, things get complicated, he nearly murders Sonic, he befriends Amy, he realizes he's being tricked, Shadow kicks him in the head, etc. In the end, a resolution is found, but his mentor is lost. In fact, his entire world doesn't exist. If we're to go off certain bits of lore, it's possible that every time he fixes a future, a new dark future takes it's place. Also, like Shadow, kind a dork, but more in a well-meaning dumbass sort of way. I feel he's an interesting character when you know what to do with him.

3. Metal Sonic
Metal Sonic doesn't have much of a personality, often he is little more than a killing machine with a bit of an internal monologue about wanting to be more than a copy. But he makes up for that with style. He looks cool, he fights cool, he's got some sick themes. You just love to see him. Also he's Eggman's weird robot son and that's kind of fun.

4. Scourge the Hedgehog
Honestly I never read pre-reboot archie, particularly Flynn's run, where Scourge really got expanded on in terms of character. I love post-reboot archie, it's one of my all-time favorite Sonic things, but I can only assume the charming art and good writing is the same. What I do know however, a person from a parallel universe having an identity crisis of whether or not he can be more than just "evil Sonic", is a fun idea to me, and I think it can make interesting writing.

5. Mephiles
I don't remember much of Mephiles but I think the thing where his initial form is mouthless and deliberately uncomfortably stiff, like some sort of marionette is honestly kind of a fun idea.

6. Infinite
Like Metal Sonic, he's a bit flat, but has style. Not quite as much, but it's still entertaining enough.

7. Jet the Hawk
Jet the Hawk is your annoying 30-something ex-frat boy cousin who drinks natty light, makes uncomfortably outdated jokes about women and lgbt people, and likes to reference movies that have aged extremely poorly. The only good thing about him is that you can buy weed off him. Granted, nobody else on this list, besides possibly Scourge, would be able to do that for you.

Also I can see where you're going with Silver. I agree with it.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

shadow and metal are my favorites. infinite is fine but suffers from being in an unfinished game. i liked when shadow kicked the poo poo out of him

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jet the Hawk
Scourge
Infinite
Metal Sonic
Shadow the Hedgehog
Mephiles
Silver the Hedgehog

Ranked from hottest to nottest.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Discendo Vox posted:

Metal Sonic
Infinite
Silver the Hedgehog
Shadow the Hedgehog

no why

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Procrastine posted:

Mephiles is an edgy shadow knockoff, not sonic, so if we include him Eclipse should be here too :colbert:

Sorry I had no idea this incredibly deep and nuanced character even existed. God, it's like a pit of knockoffs. Oh well, I didn't include all the different robotic sonic versions anyways.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Eclipse is a fun character conceptually. He's from some offshoot of the alien from Shadow the Hedgehog that tried to make their own Shadow to order around. Also he has infant wisp-esque blackarms pets.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

All the degenerates putting Silver in anywhere but the bottom part of their lists

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Infinite should be up front for his music alone.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Infinite should be up front for his music alone.

but his writing is soooo baddddd

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Discendo Vox posted:

but his writing is soooo baddddd

well, that's what it takes to be infinite

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Cause if you're messing with me
I am a dangerous weapon
I am the sharpest of blades
I'll cut you down in a second

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Jet has the funniest voice ever probably

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Macaluso posted:

All the degenerates putting Silver in anywhere but the bottom part of their lists

Silver's a good kid.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Macaluso posted:

It's no use!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Macaluso posted:

Maybe they thought they were voting for Silver or Mecha Sonic, both of whom were tragically missing from the list.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWFOcegKMn8

Shoulda been Crush 40 on Fist Bump as well. :argh:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Sonic and Shadow being the only ones who are pulsing, leaving Tails and Knuckles just sitting still there, is making me very uncomfortable.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Fist Bump is already perfect the way it is

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

So close Sega, so close...

The hell is Amazon Fire TV? Sounds like a Diablo 2 spell.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kikas posted:

The hell is Amazon Fire TV? Sounds like a Diablo 2 spell.

Amazon has an Android variant called Fire OS that uses their own app store instead of Google. The Fire TV is their set top box version of the hardware that also plays Amazon movies and music.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

God drat it, I was genuinely excited reading that until the end of the second line.

Put the ports of 1 & 2 on something other than a loving phone or some smart TV garbage you fucks.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
gently caress YOU SEGA.wmv

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'd link the cybershell video but it just makes me sad.

Press gently caress YOU SEGA to pay respects.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

At least you can play them on an actual TV with a controller now

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I have to assume Sega doesn’t want to pay for a Windows port. With Fire TV it’s still the Android version so it was likely cheap to get working on Fire OS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fire Run With Me

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spiderdrake posted:

I'd link the cybershell video but it just makes me sad.

Press gently caress YOU SEGA to pay respects.

Sega got to him.:smith:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sega got to him.:smith:

Yes, and he is not in my windowless van by the Dairy Queen.

But yeah, Sega is completely incompetent. "What? Amazing games that hearken back to the days Sonic games were more than a punchline? Naw, it'll never sell, now how about that angst!"

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Lol, what does this thread title mean?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Page 412 bruv

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yes, and he is not in my windowless van by the Dairy Queen.

But yeah, Sega is completely incompetent. "What? Amazing games that hearken back to the days Sonic games were more than a punchline? Naw, it'll never sell, now how about that angst!"

Shadow the Hedgehog came out 13 years ago. Please find a more productive outlet for your unceasing anger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mikedawson posted:

Shadow the Hedgehog came out 13 years ago. Please find a more productive outlet for your unceasing anger.

You forgot Sonic Forces.

I envy you.