Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

LongDarkNight posted:

Donald J Trump will be the president for the rest of our lives.

Fingers Crossed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

another milquetoast wouldn't be actively awful but dems have an angry base ready for change and someone like beto would just be pissing that away

if biden is the dem nominee im going full accelerationist

Eh, if you can check out Beto in some of the debates with Cruz. Dude comes across passionate / is a good speaker. Not sure if I'd vote for him for prez yet, but from what we know of the field I'd be happier with him than Harris or Booker and I'd like to at least see him debate Sanders before making up my mind on that much.

Everyone dogging on him needs to have some perspective. An AoC type progressive would likely not be a congressman in El Paso's district. Likewise, they probably wouldn't have a prayer of winning a senate seat in TX. From what I've seen of Beto so far I'd predict that he'd probably be able to pull more to the left in a national campaign vs what he had to do in TX.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Bolow posted:

Fingers Crossed

Have a really bad video of Putin's recently announced (like 2 hours ago), newly, almost deployed "hypersonic nuclear missile" the Avangard. I'm somewhat less scared than I am by the ICBMs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsuh0FqGCVM

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

my kinda ape posted:

Also Trump is notorious for not paying people so the loyalty may be short lived.

Turns out he's afraid of both private guards and stairs because he heard what happened to Vitellius.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

That Works posted:

Eh, if you can check out Beto in some of the debates with Cruz. Dude comes across passionate / is a good speaker. Not sure if I'd vote for him for prez yet, but from what we know of the field I'd be happier with him than Harris or Booker and I'd like to at least see him debate Sanders before making up my mind on that much.

Everyone dogging on him needs to have some perspective. An AoC type progressive would likely not be a congressman in El Paso's district. Likewise, they probably wouldn't have a prayer of winning a senate seat in TX. From what I've seen of Beto so far I'd predict that he'd probably be able to pull more to the left in a national campaign vs what he had to do in TX.

Beto's district is one of the most D-leaning in the country (D +17) and he's voted for GOP poo poo bills. I'm not expecting the Dems to run Marx's reanimated body, but gently caress this whole Beto bullshit.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Hexyflexy posted:

Have a really bad video of Putin's recently announced (like 2 hours ago), newly, almost deployed "hypersonic nuclear missile" the Avangard. I'm somewhat less scared than I am by the ICBMs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsuh0FqGCVM

That seems really slow compared to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvZGaMt7UgQ

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

You bastard i was just about to post that

facialimpediment posted:

Edit: lol Amazon posted record Christmas sales and Donnie shut up the whole day, so DJA went up 900.

He's gonna take credit for it too

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 26, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bolow posted:

That seems really slow compared to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvZGaMt7UgQ

Wasn't the Sprint missile designed as a terminal high altitude defense system? I.E. hitting a bullet with a bullet?

E: very terminal high altitude defense lol, it was supposed to intercept an RV in the last 37 miles before impact, where the incoming RV is moving at over 5 miles a second.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

orange juche posted:

Wasn't the Sprint missile designed as a terminal high altitude defense system? I.E. hitting a bullet with a bullet?

E: very terminal high altitude defense lol, it was supposed to intercept an RV in the last 37 miles before impact, where the incoming RV is moving at over 5 miles a second.

Yeah, which makes the "HYPERSONIC NUCLEAR MISSILE" thing even loving weirder to me. So the Russian thing is just a shittier ICBM?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bolow posted:

Yeah, which makes the "HYPERSONIC NUCLEAR MISSILE" thing even loving weirder to me. So the Russian thing is just a shittier ICBM?

Maybe it doesn't give off as big of a launch plume or something. There's nothing in that video that really provides a sense of scale so who knows how big that fireball on launch was.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bolow posted:

The bonus of an MRBM is they are mobile, that missile can be truck mounted like a SCUD, which would reward a "shoot and scoot" strategy, and they are specifically designed to strike targets within a few thousand kilometers. The critical danger of those missiles is that the response time is very shortened versus an ICBM which has to exit the atmosphere and come back in. They can go in a much shallower ballistic arc, which means your 20 minute response time is now like 5 minutes, and the missile platform that launched it has left the area and is likely under shelter and being reloaded for a second strike.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 26, 2018

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
The video does not show the new part they are testing. Avangard is a new post-boost vehicle. Basically add a big scram jet to move the warhead about in the final stage. You can use this to avoid some counter measures or attack your target from an odd angle so the radars or interceptors are not optimal. They can stick it on missiles built in the 70s to get more use out of them than current treaties allow.

orange juche posted:

You did that by nuking the incoming nuke and frying its internals. Don't need to hit it just get close enough.

The current ABM system in Greely does kinetic kill and much father out. Turns out its a lot harder than just using nukes to deal with nukes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hypersonic vehicles aren't meant to take over nuclear heavy lifting, they're meant to strike very specific targets after maneuvering to avoid defenses. They're more like high-powered cruise missiles.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 27, 2018

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Obviously that's a broad generalization but yeah there's a ton of people on twitter who want Beto4Prez

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1078074609520594944

Probably saved lives though. SEAL lives :v:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I just realized something; Trump is visiting troops stationed in Iraq.

...didn't we withdraw from Iraq back in 2012, or did I hallucinate that?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

BigDave posted:

We went back

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

orange juche posted:

Sprint was the emergency backstop for Spartan, a much longer-range missile that was supposed to get exoatmospheric kills.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008

BigDave posted:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

BigDave posted:

came back for ISIS iirc (there was still a skeleton force there before I think anyways)

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

orange juche posted:

The critical danger of those missiles is that the response time is very shortened versus an ICBM which has to exit the atmosphere and come back in. They can go in a much shallower ballistic arc, which means your 20 minute response time is now like 5 minutes, and the missile platform that launched it has left the area and is likely under shelter and being reloaded for a second strike.
This part can't be emphasized enough and it has had non-proliferation folks screaming for the last few years. The diminished response time drastically cuts the amount of time available to determine that, no, your geopolitical rival isn't trying to wipe you from the face of the Earth—and thus elevates the risk of unintentional nuclear annihilation well above what it is now.

Worse, if states are dumb enough to have and use conventional hypersonic cruise missiles while amassing a stockpile of ones that are nuclear-armed, adversaries have even harder a time of figuring out whether the bird in the air is going to destroy a building or a metro area.

The Russkies and the Chinese are shitbirds for pursuing this stuff, but the US withdrawal from the ABM treaty and failure to address others' anxieties about it is a huge factor.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

That Works posted:

An AoC type progressive would likely not be a congressman in El Paso's district

This is, unfortunately, in a nutshell why the Dems have been doing so bad. Thinking about voter alignments and values as a hard fact instead of something malleable and everchanging is not really a view supported by modern history.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

That Works posted:

why_dems_lose.txt

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Oh you guys think a hard left progressive would win a senate seat vs a centrist against a popular republican in TX?

All I'm saying is that Beto is likely capable of drifting left in a national competition vs regional.

AoC can succeed by inspiring new voters to come out for her. I'm not sure that Texas has the same chance of success for that that her district did.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That Works posted:

Oh you guys think a hard left progressive would win a senate seat vs a centrist against a popular republican in TX?

This thread doesn't believe that centrist districts exist nor can be won by center-left candidates, despite the 2018 election.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

That Works posted:

All I'm saying is that Beto is likely capable of drifting left in a national competition vs regional.

AoC can succeed by inspiring new voters to come out for her. I'm not sure that Texas has the same chance of success for that that her district did.

You said district in your post.

psydude posted:

This thread doesn't believe that centrist districts exist nor can be won by center-left candidates, despite the 2018 election.

Weak burns and massive over generalizations like this are why the democrats are going to lose in 2020.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Weak burns and massive over generalizations like this are why the democrats are going to lose in 2020.

Then I'm not sure I get your point. He was pointing out that Beto's record is a reflection of his district, and despite not running the benchmark progressive campaign, he still managed to energize centrists and liberals in Texas in a way that a more national progressive candidate probably wouldn't have been able to. That's not an over generalization, that's laid out by the specific results of recent statewide elections in Texas.

Either way, I think candidate quality matters more than specific voting record. Both AOC and Beto ran excellent grass roots campaigns, which is probably a bigger factor.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 27, 2018

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus posted:

Sundowning meltdown with bragging about himself and bitching about the Democrats and the wall is a given. What else he'll say is the mystery.

So yup. Man is obvious.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

An AoC type progressive would likely not be a congressman in El Paso's district. Likewise, they probably wouldn't have a prayer of winning a senate seat in TX.

The former I could see happening. The latter, yeah, you're not getting an AoC type senator in TX in all likelihood. But El Paso county is hard blue, save for red areas of voting on Fort Bliss itself from the on-post military voters. (read: predominantly lower enlisted barracks-dwelling soldiers, field grade officers, staff and senior NCOs, and the students of the Sergeants Major Academy)

El Paso County politics has a history of corruption and intrigue, though, so often once-rising stars disappear in disgrace and random dark horse candidates end up taking over. Even stuff like school boards and the like are constantly dealing with political wheeling and dealing and embezzlement and the like. Vernoica Escobar, who will be seated in place of O'Rourke in January in TX-16, has been working with O'Rourke for over a decade. Notably, when O'Rourke defeated Silvestre Reyes in the democratic primary, Reyes was enorsed by Bill Clinton and then-President Obama.

This is my favorite Reyes ad. It's him cruising around in an F-150 past mostly federal or state-funded projects showing how much money was being pumped into El Paso around that time with him just kind of approvingly looking out the windows at all that external money being pumped into El Paso:
https://vimeo.com/36162566

He also had an attack ad on Beto about Beto's DUI (who wouldn't use that?). The other big part of that attack ad: attacking Beto for wanting to "legalize narcotics" with a tight shot of marijuana leaves.

Also hanging over Reyes when he was defeated by O'Rourke: an outside agency that specifically targets unopposed primaries, both D and R, did a bunch of get out the vote for Beto. Reyes also faced some ethics violations questions regarding campaigning form House property and spending over $10K of campaign finances renovating parts of his dauhgter's home, because supposedly he used one room of her home as a "campaign office." :hmmyes:

6 years have passed since that election, but maybe extollingthe dangers of marijuana to El Pasoans wasn't/isn't such a winning issue: https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06/27/marijuana-democrats-young-adults-texas-poll/

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 27, 2018

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The great white saviour would be a Republican in almost any other state.

But yeah just keep holding on to that "centrism cannot fail!" thing

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

You said district in your post.

Weak burns and massive over generalizations

why_dems_lose.txt

:ironicat:

I said district and the full state contest. My mistake for under-appreciating how blue his district is, but I still think that a hard blue district in TX outside of downtown Austin is going to be a far cry from a district in NYC.

Just for the record I have no stake in this apart from living in TX for years and having family there. Beto seems decent enough and I hope he makes a national run to at least find out more about where his actual platform would be. I'm not currently excited about any Dem candidates but at least he's a new and different choice and has some relevant experience unlike an Avenatti etc.

E: no one's saying centrism cannot fail, or even clamoring for it. At best just stating that it sometimes has its place.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/sgtjanedoe/status/1078040435443093508?s=21

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gotta protect those knees when you bow to kiss the ring.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I just spent 2 minutes laughing at this twitter rando, so you should too.

https://twitter.com/ItsJonMarin/status/1078287121201410050

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Being a centrist today tells me one or more of the following is true about you:

1. White
2. Too stupid to form an opinion
3. Too lazy/apathetic to form an opinion
4. Secret Republican
5. FYGM why change anything opinion

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

EBB posted:

1. White
4. Secret Republican

:hai:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

EBB posted:

1. White
4. Secret Republican

:emptyquote:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Office idiot saying it’s the Democrats fault for not rubber stamping the presidents desires and it should be illegal to not pass a budget.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Centrism is great if both sides are the same.

They are not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Office idiot saying it’s the Democrats fault for not rubber stamping the presidents desires and it should be illegal to not pass a budget.

Republicans are free to pass a budget whenever they want