Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was thinking that at crack they found, there was a two-millimetre displacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Phanatic posted:

Given that tall buildings move more than this when the wind blows, this has gotta be a garbled explanation.

They move more than that at the top, yes. Not at the base.

Also, cracks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Phanatic posted:

Given that tall buildings move more than this when the wind blows, this has gotta be a garbled explanation.
I would presume it's similar to how bending your leg at the knee is NBD but you do the same to your shin and suddenly people start throwing up and calling ambulances.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Atticus_1354 posted:

This means everything will need to be designed in squares like a tabletop game.

Minecraft is all set, except those things will need to be 1m2 and will need to have a vertical displacement of 1m :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

More importantly all the load bearing drywall on one side of the building shattered.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Mozi posted:

weirdly i think i read that it actually moved _up_ those 1-2mm

Pfft dumbass, it's in Australia. Of course it's going to fall upwards.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Mozi posted:

weirdly i think i read that it actually moved _up_ those 1-2mm

Sorry 'bout your kaiju mate.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
"Engineers have indicated that the building may have moved up to 2 millimetres."

gotta cite sources!

you may both be right though

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

That's such a great misreading. The building magically moved against gravity.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
oh lol whoops

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Atticus_1354 posted:

That's such a great misreading. The building magically moved against gravity.

Building now hovering. :ohdear:

Though if it had moved up I'd assume the ground underneath had heaved up. Ground moves weird sometimes. Like the building had been built on a fault line and in millions of years there will be a mountain range right there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

It didn't lock them to the alarm, you just had a giant handcuff.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lurking Haro posted:

The first prototype probably did, and then some shitbag hotshot had to poo poo all over everybody's great idea as usual

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lurking Haro posted:

And I'm sure carrying around a giant metal cuff wouldn't impede escaping from a burning building at all!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Luckily everyone had the same arm diameter in 1912.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"gently caress it, I am just going to let the building burn down with everybody inside than to sacrifice myself to this gently caress off stupid invention'.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Yawgmoth posted:

And I'm sure carrying around a giant metal cuff wouldn't impede escaping from a burning building at all!

These were generally on streets at or near major intersections, though?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
After spending two semesters in a dorm that started getting dumped multiple nights a week, gently caress 'em. Hang a hacksaw next to it for if it's a real fire.

But honestly, the alarm stunts got loving annoying, and after the first half-dozen, less and less kids would actually evacuate. The hall director then came around with the FD & master keys and found kids hunkered down in their rooms with pillows taped over the alarm horns.

I wonder if the alarms are guarded any better now that security cameras can be had for >$100, wireless, and can be stuck almost anywhere.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

NoWake posted:

I wonder if the alarms and showers are guarded any better now that security cameras can be had for >$100, wireless, and can be stuck almost anywhere.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

NoWake posted:

After spending two semesters in a dorm that started getting dumped multiple nights a week, gently caress 'em. Hang a hacksaw next to it for if it's a real fire.

But honestly, the alarm stunts got loving annoying, and after the first half-dozen, less and less kids would actually evacuate. The hall director then came around with the FD & master keys and found kids hunkered down in their rooms with pillows taped over the alarm horns.

I wonder if the alarms are guarded any better now that security cameras can be had for >$100, wireless, and can be stuck almost anywhere.
If it's a real fire I'll break the window and jump two floors instead of hauling my rear end out of bed for the fourth time that night to find out some douchebag frat boy thought it'd be funny to pull the alarm again in the middle of finals week.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
We get false alarms in my apartment building often enough that I just ignore them and go back to sleep. One of these days I'm going to die in a fire and that's okay.

Really though, the window by my bed opens onto a rooftop and fire escape access so hopefully not.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Yawgmoth posted:

Just think of all the glass windows and load bearing drywall you could break if you were wearing that metal cuff. If anything it would aid you!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Yeah getting a bit of a groverhaus vibe from this tower

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is this 2mm change in reference of the building to it’s surroundings? Or of one part of the building in relation to another part of the same building.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Proteus Jones posted:

Is this 2mm change in reference of the building to it’s surroundings? Or of one part of the building in relation to another part of the same building.

Imagine four millimeters on the edge of a cliff...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Proteus Jones posted:

Is this 2mm change in reference of the building to its surroundings? Or of one part of the building in relation to another part of the same building.

I have to imagine the latter because I can't imagine them having sufficiently detailed before/after measurements to know "this sidewalk was 2mm higher last night!", vs the above picture of "measuring part of the building against itself where it definitely was supposed to line up before"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The one time someone pulled the fire alarm in my student hall they loving pulled prints off the drat thing and evicted the rear end in a top hat. Literally no one felt bad.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Proteus Jones posted:

I think if you look where the "2" is spray painted on that concrete you can see the displacement. Seems that the right hand side has dropped and moved towards the POV a couple of millimeters.

edit: Speak of the devil

All Opal Tower residents forced to leave cracked building

quote:

All of the residents of a 36-storey apartment block in Sydney's west will be forced to leave as a "precautionary measure" after a wall cracked inside the new building on Christmas Eve.

Tensions flared as angry residents of Opal Tower at Sydney Olympic Park were told that they would be "progressively relocated" within 24 hours to allow "comprehensive investigations" into the split concrete panel.

Residents were told during a heated meeting on Thursday (today Aus time) that they could be out of their homes for up to 10 days.

But NSW managing director for the builder Icon, Julian Doyle, could not rule out further delays.

Memento fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 27, 2018

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Bees on Wheat posted:

We get false alarms in my apartment building often enough that I just ignore them and go back to sleep. One of these days I'm going to die in a fire and that's okay.

Really though, the window by my bed opens onto a rooftop and fire escape access so hopefully not.

I just turn on a fire scanner stream. If the firefighters start talking about seeing smoke you know it's not a false alarm. Download Broadcastify and see if there's a local stream.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Facebook Aunt posted:

Building now hovering. :ohdear:

We found the code violation at last! The constructor just started laying bricks from the ground level instead of pouring a concrete slab on top of concrete piles.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Memento posted:

I think if you look where the "2" is spray painted on that concrete you can see the displacement. Seems that the right hand side has dropped and moved towards the POV a couple of millimeters.

edit: Speak of the devil

All Opal Tower residents forced to leave cracked building

Copy pasted from the Australian edition of The Guardian:

It's long, but pretend I just bolded the whole thing.

quote:

The dramatic crack that developed in a brand new Sydney apartment tower was the result of industry issues that “have been brewing for a long time”, according to experts.

A poor compliance system in New South Wales and a “she’ll be right” attitude have been blamed for the high rate of defects in Sydney buildings – spotlighted by the Christmas Eve evacuation of Opal Tower in Olympic Park.

The high-rise apartment block developed a crack on a wall on the 10th floor on Monday. Though the building was declared safe on Wednesday, 51 apartments were still blocked to residents on Thursday morning.

Prof Bill Randolph from the University of NSW’s City Futures Research Centre said there was “an industry-wide problem”.

“This sort of thing has been known about for some years now … The rate at which multi-units have been put up in the last four or five years has really stretched the capacity of the building industry to deal with it.”

A damning 2015 report from Engineers Australia found that 85% of new strata units were defective on completion and the certification system in NSW had “broken down”.

Randolph said the state’s compliance regime had been privatised in the early 2000s, which meant developers were now effectively “signing off on their own buildings”.

“The developer effectively walks away from the building once the last unit has been sold,” he said. “We call it split incentives. When you’re a developer, the incentive is to build it quickly, sell it quickly.

“The people who buy it then have to deal with anything that goes wrong [while] the developer can simply walk away from what they have built.

“It’s not that there isn’t enough regulation. There are plenty of regulations but they’re poorly enforced.”

Jonathan Russell, head spokesman for Engineers Australia, said members had told him that certifiers often did not have the qualifications or experience to make an informed judgment about the quality of works.

“This is most prevalent for engineering works, such as engineered fire safety systems,” he said. “Also, for those who want to do the right thing and engage an engineer, there is no government register of licensed or registered engineers.

“While the person who paints the structure needs to be licensed, the person who designs the structure does not.”

He said recommendations from the Engineers Australia report still hadn’t been taken up, three years on: “Full and swift implementation of all 24 recommendations is the single most important action that the NSW government can take.”

Phil Dwyer, the president of the Builders Collective of Australia, said there was a “she’ll be right” approach to building.

“There are many thousands of building failures, particularly in NSW and Victoria,” he said. “We saw this coming but without a doubt but never expected the dilapidation of our industry to continue for so long.”

On Wednesday the developer of Opal Tower, Ecove, declared the building was safe for habitation and was not affected by major issues.

Dwyer disagreed: “How one part can be at fault and the rest be OK? Give me a break. If one part is questionable, the whole building is questionable.”

But on Thursday Ecove denied that the fault in Opal Tower was part of a pattern.

“Any suggestion the building damage pointed to ‘a broader pattern in the industry’ is completely wrong,” said Ecove’s director, Bassam Aflak. “The city’s ‘development boom’ has not led to cutting of corners. There has been no cutting of corners.

“It’s too early to leap to any conclusions, for instance, to speculate on wider building issues because of what appears to be one failed panel.

“The requirement from the Sydney Olympic Park Authority was that the building be high quality and we have delivered on that. While this incident suggests otherwise, the contract with Icon specified that the building be of high-quality Australian design and construction.”

Randolph said it was surprising to see such a dramatic fault emerge in “what is normally thought of as a premium location”, and it pointed to further problems at the cheaper end of the market.

“It’s been brewing for some time,” he said. “Strata managers, the defects engineers, the lawyers who deal with the owners of units know this has been a problem for some time. I suspect the developer industry has been aware of it as well.”

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Called it:

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

what's the betting: cheap concrete that wasn't up to spec or "nah she'll be alright mate" on the ground inspection?

How is there no system for registering structural engineers in Australia what the gently caress? Not even chartered status?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Called it:

How is there no system for registering structural engineers in Australia what the gently caress? Not even chartered status?

Rather than the mob owning the construction industry like the USA, builders own the government. Developers are literally elected officials.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They have evacuated the tower block again.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-46690536

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

from probably a thousand replies in the past but :sbahj:
I dunno if it's osha but I learned pretty young if you lose traction tuck your fuckin head in & away from where your body's going
unless you get booted out of a car or down a slope if you tuck in you're a lot more likely to avoid busting up limbs or brains
this is extraordinarily painful looking goddamn

I mean you can feel when it's too late and your going down -- you gotta fuckin tuck, you're not going to ninja leap to safety or even get your legs under you take the hit with your body where it'll be fine do bust out your brainstem or the joints in your arms or legs.

cursed as gently caress i'm cross posting this to cursed thread

e jfc I've been drunk off my rear end and still avoided bouncing my skull like that gently caress me get some goddamn salt or grit next time relevel the fucker so it drains away or something

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
Pretty misleading, they have removed people again in order to undertake the repair work.

Australia does require chartered engineer sign off on structural and life safety services designs.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

SniperWoreConverse posted:

from probably a thousand replies in the past but :sbahj:
I dunno if it's osha but I learned pretty young if you lose traction tuck your fuckin head in & away from where your body's going
unless you get booted out of a car or down a slope if you tuck in you're a lot more likely to avoid busting up limbs or brains
this is extraordinarily painful looking goddamn

I mean you can feel when it's too late and your going down -- you gotta fuckin tuck, you're not going to ninja leap to safety or even get your legs under you take the hit with your body where it'll be fine do bust out your brainstem or the joints in your arms or legs.

cursed as gently caress i'm cross posting this to cursed thread

e jfc I've been drunk off my rear end and still avoided bouncing my skull like that gently caress me get some goddamn salt or grit next time relevel the fucker so it drains away or something

i slid on ice once and took a Ford Focus key through the palm. loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

‘Randolph said the state’s compliance regime had been privatised in the early 2000s, which meant developers were now effectively “signing off on their own buildings”.’

Holy poo poo it is groverhaus