Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I unwrapped/opened the country ham I had bought a few months ago, intending to get it started soaking to be ready for Christmas.

It came in a cloth bag with a metal band clinching it shut.

When I got the bag open, I found the ham wrapped in paper along with the instructions, which revealed that unlike some country hams I've seen, this one needs less soaking (only about 8 hours).

I also found a yellow stain on the paper right over where the cut bone is on the butt end of the ham.

Any chance the meat has gone bad? It doesn't smell foul just smoky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

poeticoddity posted:

Since there's been talk of roasts and whatnot, this is just a blanket reminder that thick, expensive cuts of meat that you're worried about overcooking are one of the reasons sous vide has become popular enough that you can now find immersion circulators in big-box stores.

Unless it's super thick and then you run into food safety issues.

I prefer reverse sear for roasts. Don't have to worry about all that extra moisture when finishing the roast.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Annath posted:

So, I unwrapped/opened the country ham I had bought a few months ago, intending to get it started soaking to be ready for Christmas.

It came in a cloth bag with a metal band clinching it shut.

When I got the bag open, I found the ham wrapped in paper along with the instructions, which revealed that unlike some country hams I've seen, this one needs less soaking (only about 8 hours).

I also found a yellow stain on the paper right over where the cut bone is on the butt end of the ham.

Any chance the meat has gone bad? It doesn't smell foul just smoky.

Iirc, didn't you say you bought it in Smithfield?

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/14498

You're good.

Seriously, though, country ham lasts forever, that's the whole point of smoking it and salting it to death. Some recipes do call for scrubbing the outside just in case it did get a little funky. But if it smells alright and isn't making you gag, I'd give it a thumbs up. Especially if you've kept it stored in a cool, dry place.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I bought it from Virginia Diner in Waverly, right outside Smithfield. I THOUGHT it was a Smithfield ham, but the instructions inside the packaging say it's some other local brand.

It DOES explicitly say it is less salty than some other country hams, so it needs less soaking.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Annath posted:

I bought it from Virginia Diner in Waverly, right outside Smithfield. I THOUGHT it was a Smithfield ham, but the instructions inside the packaging say it's some other local brand.

It DOES explicitly say it is less salty than some other country hams, so it needs less soaking.

Smithfield (the brand, not the town) is a real horror show of a place, so you done good by this Virginian. Buy all the ham/bacon/pork you want from that area, but not the actual Smithfield brand. A Waverly ham should be just as good.

If you're looking for a condiment for your country ham, our biggest seller at my restaurant is Jezebel sauce. It's essentially apple jelly and horseradish. Some people add crushed pineapple; we add apricot preserves and a little powdered mustard. It's the tits on fried catfish, as well.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm trusting you goons. I hope I don't die.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

cyberia posted:

I'm trying to make some homemade jello using gelatin. The tin of gelatin says to use 2 teaspoons per 500ml of liquid while a handful of recipes I looked up online say to use 1.5 tablespoons per 500ml of liquid which is just over double the 'official' recommended amount.

I made a test batch last night using 2 teaspoons of gelatin and it has set but only barely. I want to make a couple of large batches (approx. 1500ml of liquid per batch) for Christmas desserts, does anyone have experience making their own jello and can recommend how much gelatin / liquid I should be using?

Can I just scale up from 500ml of liquid & 1.5tbsp of gelatin or do I need to add more / less gelatin as I add more liquid?

Add as much gelatin as you need to get the firmness you want. It should scale up just fine at whatever you decide is your preferred ratio.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

poeticoddity posted:

Since there's been talk of roasts and whatnot, this is just a blanket reminder that thick, expensive cuts of meat that you're worried about overcooking are one of the reasons sous vide has become popular enough that you can now find immersion circulators in big-box stores.

Roasting in the oven in a cast iron skillet is just fine for me. I think I have overcooked maybe 2 roasts in the last 13 years (I didn't really cook that type of food much before I got married) and neither of them since I got a quick read thermometer. The method posted upthread of 450 for the first 20 minutes and then 350 or 325 after that works just fine. I cover with foil after that initial sear.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I have to work over the next couple days so I won't really be visiting family and don't really have time to spend all day cooking. I do have a slow cooker, simple rice cooker, and basic kitchen stuff. Only store close by is a Walmart. Don't really care if it's traditional Christmasy stuff but figure I should at least try and have a couple good meals over the holidays even if I'm just cooking for one. Looking for suggestions on some easy poo poo to make for myself.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I just got assigned to cook two turkey breasts for dinner. I’ve done this before but made a roulade which I don’t want to do this time. Any suggestions? Don’t have access to my SV setup atm.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ok what's a good basic loaf of bread that would be great with shakshuka. Bonus points for a no-knead recipe

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Zerilan posted:

I have to work over the next couple days so I won't really be visiting family and don't really have time to spend all day cooking. I do have a slow cooker, simple rice cooker, and basic kitchen stuff. Only store close by is a Walmart. Don't really care if it's traditional Christmasy stuff but figure I should at least try and have a couple good meals over the holidays even if I'm just cooking for one. Looking for suggestions on some easy poo poo to make for myself.

Check your local stores for Cheap-rear end-Ham. Use the meaty bone, a pound of white or mixed soup beans (soak overnight if you can), a couple chopped up carrots, celery, and onions, and bay leaf. Bung it all in the slow cooker for 8-ish hours or until the beans are tender. Delicious.

And then also eat ham. Ham and cheese sandwiches, ham and eggs, ham fried rice, and freeze a hunk for later if you get tired of it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Ok what's a good basic loaf of bread that would be great with shakshuka. Bonus points for a no-knead recipe

If you have a Dutch oven, the Saturday loaf from flour salt water yeast is great and easy.

http://www.thymeoftaste.com/2017/01/13/saturday-white-bread/

Think this is it.

It's even better if you toss a cup of water in the oven when you first put the loaf in the oven. Super great airy loaf.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Jay Carney posted:

I just got assigned to cook two turkey breasts for dinner. I’ve done this before but made a roulade which I don’t want to do this time. Any suggestions? Don’t have access to my SV setup atm.

I've found 150F for 3+ hours to work nicely for 3-4.5 lb turkey breasts (sealed in separate bags). Generic poultry herb blend and maybe a little bit of butter.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So out of curiosity, what actual use is there in an air fryer that I couldn't already get out of, say, an oven?

Asking for a friend.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

No

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So out of curiosity, what actual use is there in an air fryer that I couldn't already get out of, say, an oven?

Asking for a friend.

I love my air fryer I got for Christmas a lot.
A FUCKIN' LOT.

Some* food comes out crispier and faster than a microwave or oven.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
My woke family is having SV beef tenderloin at 140*F tonight; my broke family is getting the same cut from the oven at 155*F. For the latter, does anyone have an opinion on reverse searing or searing first with a 250*F oven temp until the meat comes to 147*F or so?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Just wanted to share my joy and pride that I managed to replicate my Nanna's gravy today. I've not tasted it since my mum died in 2003. My partner does most of the cooking and this Christmas we weren't with family so the meat and gravy fell to me, and I bloody smashed it. Merry Christmas, goons!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lawnie posted:

My woke family is having SV beef tenderloin at 140*F tonight; my broke family is getting the same cut from the oven at 155*F. For the latter, does anyone have an opinion on reverse searing or searing first with a 250*F oven temp until the meat comes to 147*F or so?

I'm a big fan of reverse sear. It's super lazy to do and always comes out great.

140 seems kinda high to be "woke" tho.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Bollock Monkey posted:

Just wanted to share my joy and pride that I managed to replicate my Nanna's gravy today. I've not tasted it since my mum died in 2003. My partner does most of the cooking and this Christmas we weren't with family so the meat and gravy fell to me, and I bloody smashed it. Merry Christmas, goons!

Awww, I'm so chuffed for you! I remember making my first lentil soup with knoedels. That's a must-have in my family on New Years Day, it's a Czech tradition (along with other countries) because the lentils look like little coins. My great grandmother, my grammy, and my mom always made it, and then the torch got passed to me. So your post fills me with holiday :kimchi:. I'm so glad you got to have that again after 15 years.

Congrats, and Merry Christmas!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
The 140 tenderloin came out really well:

E: everyone roast my non-existent plating skills

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 26, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Lawnie posted:

The 140 tenderloin came out really well:

E: everyone roast my non-existent plating skills

I'd eat it

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, me too! Just needs some mushrooms.

Speaking of beef loins, someone got me Ina Garden DeVita's new cook book, and her method for cooking it is a little nuts: 500 degree oven for 20 minutes. What the hell? At that temp, time is pointless, you'll never get it exactly right without a probe thermometer.

She is known for actually testing the recipes in her cook books, so this must have been tested, but in my experience, beef tenderloin is best low and slow, with a sear before or after.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
A vegetarian chili recipe I like calls for one 6-oz. can of tomato paste. I had the brief thought, "Why not just use canned chopped fire-roasted tomatoes with chilis?" but didn't know what the equivalent number of cans would be and just decided to just stick with the recipe.

Questions for the thread:
  1. What is the exchange rate between canned chopped tomatoes and tomato paste?
  2. Broadly, how would this kind of substitution affect the flavor of a dish like, say, a stew? Which should I prefer?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

There's no direct comparison between tomato paste and other canned tomato products. The flavor of tomato paste is vastly different than canned tomatoes of other sort.

I guess maybe if you reduce the whole can of tomatoes until it becomes paste it would be an equivalent.

You should prefer whatever you prefer. Don't let outside influences decide your tomato fate.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

post the recipe

Paste is obv much more condensed, adds sweetness and some savory flavor thanks to tomatoes being the best fruit. If you're using chopped you'd need to reduce it down and may not be appropriate for a sub. You can dilute paste easier to make it close to sauce.

/efb - i like to use both in chili fwiw

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Here is the recipe.

Using both in chili seems to be a good idea, since it seems a good chili should contain both deep, long-cooking flavors and bright, tangy, spicy flavors.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Some brands of tomato paste taste much more like concentrated fresh tomato and less like delicious reduced tomato. Mostly overpriced organic brands I've noticed.

Goya4lyfe

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

So I got an instant pot for Christmas and want to try it out. I got ingredients for the asparagus risotto recipe that came in the little instant pot recipe book, but I want to cut the amounts in half. Do I have to change the cook time as well? This is my first time using a pressure cooker

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sextro posted:

Goya4lyfe

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been interested in trying out mushroom cap burgers, where the cap is the patty. Basically everything I see online says to grill them, but I don't have a grill. Any particular reason I can't throw it in an oven on a grill on a baking sheet?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Casu Marzu posted:

I guess maybe if you reduce the whole can of tomatoes until it becomes paste it would be an equivalent.

I've done this, reducing in a steel pan until I got some fond and deglazed with white wine. It's a bit of a pain in the rear end, but very delicious.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Pizza Segregationist posted:

So I got an instant pot for Christmas and want to try it out. I got ingredients for the asparagus risotto recipe that came in the little instant pot recipe book, but I want to cut the amounts in half. Do I have to change the cook time as well? This is my first time using a pressure cooker

Your cook time should be the same.

We have a pressure cooker thread too! I'm on mobile or I'd link. There are some good blogs for recipes in it that will help a lot with getting to know the instant pot.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

The Bananana posted:

I love my air fryer I got for Christmas a lot.
A FUCKIN' LOT.

Some* food comes out crispier and faster than a microwave or oven.

Just got one as a present myself. Already planning to start dialing in a process for chicken wings, any other suggestions?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

mkultra419 posted:

Just got one as a present myself. Already planning to start dialing in a process for chicken wings, any other suggestions?

Onion rings

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I got a waffle iron for Christmas, and naturally we had waffles for breakfast yesterday, but I was wondering what else I should do with it? I think brownie waffles would be good, and there’s a recipe in the manual for falafel waffles, which I am keen to test out, but has anyone got any really good recipes I should try?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Hashbrowns

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stuffing waffles. Hell, anything vaguely casserole-like and leftover, waffle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge