Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I wonder if he has even thought about what's going to stop people from using it as the world's biggest scrap metal pile. he hasn't and wouldn't care if he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

counting on fingers makes a lot more sense than counting on knuckles.

Base 10 is super recent though, like, only a little older than 1000 years. Up to real recent history everyone was counting just fine without base ten, and just using placeless systems. The idea we in 2018 count by 10s because cavemen had to count on their fingers isn't right at all. Counting by ten postdates all prehistory.

Like, counting by 10 is so recent that even the modern languages we speak all have elements of non-decimal counting, like english having base 12 naming and french having base 20 naming. It's not some caveman on the savanna thing where people counted on fingers first then math developed later, the base 10 stuff is super late to the party.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if you're gonna defend the french calling 80 "four twenties" you've gone off the deep end.

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1078272888069853184

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1077632852811005952

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 27, 2018

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Come on, there are four twenty nineteen problems with the French language but base 20 isn't one.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Polls of the military consistently show that the white male yahoos with no education like Trump, and his approval sucks with every other demographic in the military. He's had net disapproval with the officer corps forever basically.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Base 10 is super recent though, like, only a little older than 1000 years. Up to real recent history everyone was counting just fine without base ten, and just using placeless systems. The idea we in 2018 count by 10s because cavemen had to count on their fingers isn't right at all. Counting by ten postdates all prehistory.

Is there some sort of Decimal Denier thing happening here or what? Pro-pound Lobby? Or is this an exercise in bullshittery?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Base 10 is super recent though, like, only a little older than 1000 years.

Almost all of these (some very old) are base 10?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numeral_systems

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eox posted:

Come on, there are four twenty nineteen problems with the French language but base 20 isn't one.

:golfclap:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Lol wtf

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/201...XUBuYRJx3di6Zhk

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

*Heavy Geraldo breathing*

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

I asked a military guy about this and it’s a nothing burger. There’s usually a Seal team at that base. Which team it is doesn’t matter.

The implication is more that Trump doesn’t know what he’s broadcasting. This wasn’t bad, but there’s literally nothing stopping him from actually tweeting out more sensitive information.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Navy Seals aren't actually that secret unless they're SEAL Team 6. This is a non story.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

OctaMurk posted:

Navy Seals aren't actually that secret unless they're SEAL Team 6. This is a non story.

I hadn't realised seal team number 6 was any more special than seal team numbers 1-5. Huh.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/praddenkeefe/status/1078279574549680128

quote:

“I need to show respect to Mr. Trump,” Burnett recounted, in a 2013 speech in Vancouver. “I said, ‘Welcome, everybody, to Trump Wollman skating rink. The Trump Wollman skating rink is a fine facility, built by Mr. Donald Trump. Thank you, Mr. Trump. Because the Trump Wollman skating rink is the place we are tonight and we love being at the Trump Wollman skating rink, Mr. Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump, Trump.” As Burnett told the story, he had scarcely got offstage before Trump was shaking his hand, proclaiming, “You’re a genius!”

Cut to: June, 2015. After starring in fourteen seasons of “The Apprentice,” all executive-produced by Burnett, Trump appeared in the gilded atrium of Trump Tower, on Fifth Avenue, to announce that he was running for President. Only someone “really rich,” Trump declared, could “take the brand of the United States and make it great again.” He also made racist remarks about Mexicans, prompting NBC, which had broadcast “The Apprentice,” to fire him. Burnett, however, did not sever his relationship with his star. He and Trump had been equal partners in “The Apprentice,” and the show had made each of them hundreds of millions of dollars. They were also close friends: Burnett liked to tell people that when Trump married Knauss, in 2005, Burnett’s son Cameron was the ring bearer.

Trump had been a celebrity since the eighties, his persona shaped by the best-selling book “The Art of the Deal.” But his business had foundered, and by 2003 he had become a garish figure of local interest—a punch line on Page Six. “The Apprentice” mythologized him anew, and on a much bigger scale, turning him into an icon of American success. Jay Bienstock, a longtime collaborator of Burnett’s, and the showrunner on “The Apprentice,” told me, “Mark always likes to compare his shows to great films or novels. All of Mark’s shows feel bigger than life, and this is by design.” Burnett has made many programs since “The Apprentice,” among them “Shark Tank,” a startup competition based on a Japanese show, and “The Voice,” a singing contest adapted from a Dutch program. In June, he became the chairman of M-G-M Television. But his chief legacy is to have cast a serially bankrupt carnival barker in the role of a man who might plausibly become the leader of the free world. “I don’t think any of us could have known what this would become,” Katherine Walker, a producer on the first five seasons of “The Apprentice,” told me. “But Donald would not be President had it not been for that show.”

Tony Schwartz, who wrote “The Art of the Deal,” which falsely presented Trump as its primary author, told me that he feels some responsibility for facilitating Trump’s imposture. But, he said, “Mark Burnett’s influence was vastly greater,” adding, “ ‘The Apprentice’ was the single biggest factor in putting Trump in the national spotlight.” Schwartz has publicly condemned Trump, describing him as “the monster I helped to create.” Burnett, by contrast, has refused to speak publicly about his relationship with the President or about his curious, but decisive, role in American history.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 27, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
If we had to have a reality tv president (which honestly was probably inevitable), RuPaul would've been an objectively much better choice, imo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like, counting by 10 is so recent that even the modern languages we speak all have elements of non-decimal counting, like english having base 12 naming and french having base 20 naming. It's not some caveman on the savanna thing where people counted on fingers first then math developed later, the base 10 stuff is super late to the party.

Hell, remember old British money?

I think base 12 tended to stick around a lot because it's more easily divisible (halves, thirds, sixths and such) and the human mind thinks more easily in fractions (iirc) but base 10 possibly got more popular with more people having access to writing materials?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Crow Jane posted:

If we had to have a reality tv president (which honestly was probably inevitable), RuPaul would've been an objectively much better choice, imo.

The chairman from iron chef would make everything a culinary delight.

Is Mueller on Xmas break? Haven't heard much lately.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Roblo posted:

I hadn't realised seal team number 6 was any more special than seal team numbers 1-5. Huh.

There's actually only Seal Teams 1, 2, 3, and 5.

So if all of them get captured, the bad guys will keep looking for 4.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Krispy Wafer posted:

There's actually only Seal Teams 1, 2, 3, and 5.

So if all of them get captured, the bad guys will keep looking for 4.

I think they legit started using the codename Seal Team Six for exactly that reason but it's totally possible that's apocryphal.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drat burnett is a psychotic idiot:

quote:

Long before he met Trump, Burnett had developed a Panglossian confidence in the power of branding. “I believe we’re going to see something like the Microsoft Grand Canyon National Park,” he told the New York Times in 2001. “The government won’t take care of all that—companies will.”

and lol:

quote:

“The Apprentice” was built around a weekly series of business challenges. At the end of each episode, Trump determined which competitor should be “fired.” But, as Braun explained, Trump was frequently unprepared for these sessions, with little grasp of who had performed well. Sometimes a candidate distinguished herself during the contest only to get fired, on a whim, by Trump. When this happened, Braun said, the editors were often obliged to “reverse engineer” the episode, scouring hundreds of hours of footage to emphasize the few moments when the exemplary candidate might have slipped up, in an attempt to assemble an artificial version of history in which Trump’s shoot-from-the-hip decision made sense. During the making of “The Apprentice,” Burnett conceded that the stories were constructed in this way, saying, “We know each week who has been fired, and, therefore, you’re editing in reverse.” Braun noted that President Trump’s staff seems to have been similarly forced to learn the art of retroactive narrative construction, adding, “I find it strangely validating to hear that they’re doing the same thing in the White House.”

these scumsuckers knew exactly what we were getting and kept their lips sealed. gently caress em all.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 27, 2018

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Crow Jane posted:

Oh god yes.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Pander posted:

The original chairman Kaga is far superior and he's not a us citizen

He could replace shinzo Abe tho

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Pander posted:

Most likely, but do steel-eyed gargoyles celebrate christmas?

Crow Jane posted:

Doubtless. That would usher in an age of American glory.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

He's not wrong.

People have complained about "what happens if a competent fascist was President?" not realizing that we already had one. The Bush administration was the accumulation of 30 years of conservative efforts to undermine democracy. Trump has swung so hard to the right that it's breaking that machine.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe
Hey, my gang tag came back. :toot:

Thanks, mysterious benefactor!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

Such sleight of hand is the industry standard in reality television. But the entire premise of “The Apprentice” was also something of a con. When Trump and Burnett told the story of their partnership, both suggested that Trump was initially wary of committing to a TV show, because he was so busy running his flourishing real-estate empire. During a 2004 panel at the Museum of Television and Radio, in Los Angeles, Trump claimed that “every network” had tried to get him to do a reality show, but he wasn’t interested: “I don’t want to have cameras all over my office, dealing with contractors, politicians, mobsters, and everyone else I have to deal with in my business. You know, mobsters don’t like, as they’re talking to me, having cameras all over the room. It would play well on television, but it doesn’t play well with them.”

“The Apprentice” portrayed Trump not as a skeezy hustler who huddles with local mobsters but as a plutocrat with impeccable business instincts and unparalleled wealth—a titan who always seemed to be climbing out of helicopters or into limousines. “Most of us knew he was a fake,” Braun told me. “He had just gone through I don’t know how many bankruptcies. But we made him out to be the most important person in the world. It was like making the court jester the king.” Bill Pruitt, another producer, recalled, “We walked through the offices and saw chipped furniture. We saw a crumbling empire at every turn. Our job was to make it seem otherwise.”

Trump maximized his profits from the start. When producers were searching for office space in which to stage the show, he vetoed every suggestion, then mentioned that he had an empty floor available in Trump Tower, which he could lease at a reasonable price. (After becoming President, he offered a similar arrangement to the Secret Service.) When the production staff tried to furnish the space, they found that local venders, stiffed by Trump in the past, refused to do business with them.

quote:

Burnett, who was forty-three when Season 1 aired, described the fifty-seven-year-old Trump as his “soul mate.” He expressed astonishment at Trump’s “laser-like focus and retention.” He delivered flattery in the ostentatiously obsequious register that Trump prefers. Burnett said he hoped that he might someday rise to Trump’s “level” of prestige and success, adding, “I don’t know if I’ll ever make it. But you know something? If you’re not shooting for the stars, you’re not shooting!” On one occasion, Trump invited Burnett to dinner at his Trump Tower apartment; Burnett had anticipated an elegant meal, and, according to an associate, concealed his surprise when Trump handed him a burger from McDonald’s.

Trump liked to suggest that he and Burnett had come up with the show “together”; Burnett never corrected him. When Carolyn Kepcher, a Trump Organization executive who appeared alongside Trump in early seasons of “The Apprentice,” seemed to be courting her own celebrity, Trump fired her and gave on-air roles to three of his children, Ivanka, Donald, Jr., and Eric. Burnett grasped that the best way to keep Trump satisfied was to insure that he never felt upstaged. “It’s Batman and Robin, and I’m clearly Robin,” he said.

Burnett sometimes went so far as to imply that Trump’s involvement in “The Apprentice” was a form of altruism. “This is Donald Trump giving back,” he told the Times in 2003, then offered a vague invocation of post-9/11 civic duty: “What makes the world a safe place right now? I think it’s American dollars, which come from taxes, which come because of Donald Trump.”

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 27, 2018

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I would also definitely vote for President Tim Gunn over Trump

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he'd definitely make it work.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

I would also definitely vote for President Tim Gunn over Trump

Secretary of Making It Work. :colbert:

^^
:argh:

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

SocketWrench posted:

They're standing next to the world's most despised man in a war zone. I congratulate them on their bravery for not hiding behind more armor

It gets worse, because of course it does:

Trump Seems to Have Accidentally Revealed the Identities of a Covert Navy SEAL Team on Twitter

https://splinternews.com/trump-seems-to-have-accidentally-revealed-the-identitie-1831330106

quote:

“The deployments of special operation forces, including Navy SEALs are almost classified events [sic]... to protect those men and women that are on the front lines of every overt and covert conflict the United States is involved in,” an unnamed Defense Department official told Newsweek. “Even during special operation demonstrations for congressional delegations or for the president or vice president, personnel either have their faces covered or their face is digitally blurred prior to a release to the general public.”

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Dec 27, 2018

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

This is less a thing than you'd think, at least according to GiP - there's apparently always a seal team at that base.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh my god gently caress him.

Whenever this resolves watch him try to block back pay.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

holy poo poo he's legitimately braindead:

quote:

Burnett’s myopia about politics may be selective, but that does not mean it is feigned. He would hardly be the first Hollywood chieftain with a dim grasp of current events beyond Los Angeles, but even by industry standards he can seem remarkably disconnected. Shortly after the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, in Parkland, Florida, this past February, Burnett attended a regular meeting of television executives at M-G-M. At one point, someone mentioned the marketing plan for a project in the studio’s film division: a remake of “Death Wish,” starring Bruce Willis. The movie, about an armed vigilante, was unabashedly pro-gun—Breitbart eventually hailed it as an “N.R.A. Public Service Announcement.” Someone asked whether M-G-M would be altering the rollout of the film, in light of the shooting.

“What shooting?” Burnett said, according to someone outside M-G-M who was briefed on the meeting. When his incredulous colleagues wondered how he could not have been aware of the Parkland massacre, Burnett said, “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” adding, “I’m not on social media.”

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I know the answer is “no” but is this remotely true in any way? That’s “most of the people not being paid are Democrats?” Like, I could see this being true if maybe the EPA was shut down. Maybe.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh my god gently caress him.

Whenever this resolves watch him try to block back pay.

They might not be Democrats now, but they sure will be after this shutdown :v:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

they shoulda used the access hollywood tape.

From a few pages back (but it's not my fault thus thread moves too drat fast and I got other poo poo to do), but if I was in a position to swap out the audio files then I think it would totally be worth getting fired.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Boris Galerkin posted:

I know the answer is “no” but is this remotely true in any way? That’s “most of the people not being paid are Democrats?” Like, I could see this being true if maybe the EPA was shut down. Maybe.

I would imagine that non-appointed government positions tend to skew at least some to the left because of the whole public servant thing. You will of course find the occasional libertarian nutjob trying to fight the system from within but at worst it'll represent the overall spectrum of the population around the jobs.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Does Trump think he holds all the cards here wrt the shutdown because the GOP's goal is literally to get rid of the federal government and all the people who work for it are Democrats anyway?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

Mama June from Honey Boo Boo would have been a better President. She's already a better parent, and she let her daughter's molester move back in the house.

The bar to being better than Trump is more like a speed bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Roblo posted:

The numbering was to originally throw people off on how many active teams there were (allegedly). Team 6 is/was also known as DEVGRU/special warfare developmental group and pulled members from the other SEAL teams. Think of it more like the Navy's Delta Force. All of these guys are the blackest of black ops teams.