Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Mortal Engines is by the woman that plagiarized published books for her Draco Malfoy fanfic, right?

no, that's Mortal Instruments. Mortal Engines is something like cities that eat other cities or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mortal Engines from what I've read of it seems to basically be a brutal satire of capitalism with cities crawling across a post-apocalyptic wasteland eating each other even after there's barely any 'prey' towns left and sifting through relics of ancient capitalism, including the occasional superweapon. Also there's Terminators. It was pretty drat grim as YA fiction goes, to an almost absurd degree at times.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Xiahou Dun posted:

Adding “economics” to the whiteboard labeled “Things Hyphz Can’t Do”.

Like do any of that math. Any of it.

Fair enough. But that doesn’t make it right or sensible for the non-play rate to just be left as a gigantic elephant in the room. To say it doesn’t have an effect on consumer behaviour - and on the badness of the math - would be silly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

neongrey posted:

no, that's Mortal Instruments. Mortal Engines is something like cities that eat other cities or something like that.

Oh thank god. I was confused for a bit there.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That movie had the worst trailer I've ever seen on my life. Who the gently caress thought adapting that was a good idea??? Is it a chinese money laundering scheme like Mors said???

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Plutonis posted:

That movie had the worst trailer I've ever seen on my life. Who the gently caress thought adapting that was a good idea??? Is it a chinese money laundering scheme like Mors said???

Well, you know Peter Jackson and his passion projects.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

hyphz posted:

Fair enough. But that doesn’t make it right or sensible for the non-play rate to just be left as a gigantic elephant in the room. To say it doesn’t have an effect on consumer behaviour - and on the badness of the math - would be silly.

"It would cut into the already slim profits and take a ton of time and effort the creators might not be able to spare" is a pretty sensible reason for tabletop RPGs to not have some kind of "always find players online" thing to have to worry about. Like I said, there's sites out there that people go to to find others to try out games they're interested in. And even with something like Roll 20, wouldn't that require a good amount of work on both the creators and the people programming stuff for Roll 20? If John Harper wanted to have Roll 20 support BITD like you said he should, then he'd have to go to them, work out how much it'll cost and how it'll work, and have to deal with any problems that might arise if it's explicitly something you're supposed to always have access to if buying the rules. Lesser known designers might not even be able to do that - is Roll 20 willing to officially set stuff up for any game designer who asks? Aren't a lot of them done by fans?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Even if I had time to play every rpg I read, I still wouldn't want to play them with randos

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
As I understand it BitD’s Roll20 support is fan made.

I understand the randos issue too. But RPGs as they are feel a bit like the gym membership structure - not a scam or malicious per se, but having the effect of creating misery and making money in spite of it.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Andrast posted:

Even if I had time to play every rpg I read, I still wouldn't want to play them with randos

I have been playing living campaigns for twenty years, and there is a goddamn reason I don't play at a table unless I already know and like at least three other people at it.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

hyphz posted:

I understand the randos issue too. But RPGs as they are feel a bit like the gym membership structure - not a scam or malicious per se, but having the effect of creating misery and making money in spite of it.

This feels very hyperbolic to me. How does an unplayed game “create misery?”

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Meinberg posted:

This feels very hyperbolic to me. How does an unplayed game “create misery?”

Just look at the resolutions threads.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

hyphz posted:

Is this the entire basis of this argument of yours?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 27, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Heliotrope posted:

"It would cut into the already slim profits and take a ton of time and effort the creators might not be able to spare" is a pretty sensible reason for tabletop RPGs to not have some kind of "always find players online" thing to have to worry about. Like I said, there's sites out there that people go to to find others to try out games they're interested in. And even with something like Roll 20, wouldn't that require a good amount of work on both the creators and the people programming stuff for Roll 20? If John Harper wanted to have Roll 20 support BITD like you said he should, then he'd have to go to them, work out how much it'll cost and how it'll work, and have to deal with any problems that might arise if it's explicitly something you're supposed to always have access to if buying the rules. Lesser known designers might not even be able to do that - is Roll 20 willing to officially set stuff up for any game designer who asks? Aren't a lot of them done by fans?
You don't need necessarily need roll20's permission to make something that works with roll20. It's scriptable to some capacity out of the box, we're talking a character sheet and some macros as a bare minimum, maybe some digital art assets that can be imported depending on the game. I agree that paying roll20 to do support for them is absurd and a terrible precedent but it's designed to be an expandable platform.

Serf
May 5, 2011

hyphz posted:

maybe rpgs aren't for you

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

hyphz posted:

Depression is a hell of a thing

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is this the entire basis of this argument of yours?

Partly. And the fact that a friend who saw my shame shelves commented that he wondered if they “saw me coming”. And the other gold panning sales that tend to pop up at this time, and some comments on Discord about Savage Worlds. Did ya know Chuubo is a platinum seller on DTRPG? How many successful games of it do you know?

There tends to be a problem when what gets rewards in the industry does not match what customers mostly actually want, and that seems to be the case here.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 27, 2018

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

hyphz posted:

Partly. And the fact that a friend who saw my shame shelves commented that he wondered if they “saw me coming”. And the other gold panning sales that tend to pop up at this time, and some comments on Discord about Savage Worlds. Did ya know Chuubo is a platinum seller on DTRPG? How many successful games of it do you know?

There tends to be a problem when what gets rewards in the industry does not match what customers mostly actually want, and that seems to be the case here.

You know it's ok to just, like, buy books to read

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't hurt there's a considerable history of Chinese pirates. They actually got a minor appearance in the third PotC movie. Not sure if they're romanticised to the same extent, but still.

The Americas seem to romanticize pirates more than Europeans afaict and one big thing that America tends to romanticize that other countries don't are "outlaws" or "rebels." Whether its cowboys in the Wild West, gangsters in Prohibition, or pirates during the Age of Sail, Americans tend to romanticize figures that defy authority (or at least are purported to) more than other cultures in a way that isn't about maintaining their national or cultural identity.

Chinese culture, otoh, seems to be more praising of authority and romanticize benevolent rulers over benevolent rebels. Part of that is based on Confucian ethics, I believe. Aside from that, the arguable most successful pirate in history is of Chinese descent: Ching Shih who, at her peak, reportedly commanded a fleet of 300 ships and 20k-40k pirates before finally being bested by the Portuguese Navy. As far as her romanticization by the Chinese, I'm not entirely sure, but her story is definitely one full of potential. She originally was a brothel madame/prostitute that married and became second to a pirate of his own renown that helped the Vietnamese fight off the Qing. After he died, she married their adopted son who became her second-in-command. After her defeat, she was given amnesty, allowed to keep her loot, and opened up a gambling house and brothel and even assisted as an advisor to the Chinese during the First Opium War.

I'm sure a historian can do better justice to this, but this is baiscally the high points of her legacy

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

hyphz posted:

People tend to buy a ton of games on Steam, especially when there's a sale, that they either never get around to playing or only play a little bit. Is that the fault of those games or Steam?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Heliotrope posted:

People tend to buy a ton of games on Steam, especially when there's a sale, that they either never get around to playing or only play a little bit. Is that the fault of those games or Steam?
It is, and we have to invent a way to make people play them more. Since that’s an important issue and all.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Huh, I hadn't noticed Chuubo becoming a platinum seller. That's neat!

But if you haven't bought it, please go ahead and do so. Buy copies for all your friends! Really, I don't see why it being highly successful would be a sign of something wrong in the industry at all!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

hyphz posted:

You seem to be conflating "wanting to play" with "wanting to own".

I'm probably never going to run another game of Fate again. I still buy every Fate book I can. I'm probably never going to run a game of 2d20, but I buy everything in that line that Modiphius puts out. I bought Chuubo. I have no interest in playing it. An online Chuubo-game-finder would be useless to me. In fact, less than useless, since it would mean that Jenna Moran had spent Chuubo resources on that game-finder that could have been spent on something I would derive value from.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
I occasionally buy something on Steam just because I have no other way to purchase its soundtrack while having absolutely no intent to ever play the game itself, am I part of the problem

Edit: to be frank, I quite often buy something on DTRPG explicitly to salvage its better parts or get some inspiration while knowing well in advance I would absolutely never run that game as is (or even run it in any form still even vaguely recognizable as ‘Title: The Adventuring’ to anyone), how and why is this an undesirable strategy and what remedies should the authors apply to control, prevent or rectify all the Wrong Purchases

Foglet fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 27, 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Achmed Jones posted:

I would watch the hell out of wuxia buccaneers

I'm late to the party and Bollywood is a bit west of Wuxia, but Pirates of Hindoostan might be something the thread can dig.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

You know it's ok to just, like, buy books to read

Yep, it’s fine, if you’re choosing to buy them to read. Obviously I’m talking about empowering buyers here, not forcing play on them if they don’t want it. But most RPG blurbs and KS campaigns focus on selling the play experience, not the reading value.

Here’s the Chuubo’s Kickstarter:

quote:

It's not only the best thing I've ever written but I suspect that you can get ~500 hours of tightly-themed gaming from it without prep or players feeling on rails.
Has that claim been checked for success rate?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

moths posted:

I'm late to the party and Bollywood is a bit west of Wuxia, but Pirates of Hindoostan might be something the thread can dig.
I am already sold.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

moths posted:

Rad, thanks for the link!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

moths posted:

I wish I liked Pirates of Hindostan better. It had some great stuff, but as a kind of transparent attempt to duplicate Baahubali it falls miserably short.

Thanks for reminding me I wanted to watch Gangs of Wasseypur over my vacation.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

hyphz posted:

Yep, it’s fine, if you’re choosing to buy them to read. Obviously I’m talking about empowering buyers here, not forcing play on them if they don’t want it. But most RPG blurbs and KS campaigns focus on selling the play experience, not the reading value.

yes hello better business bureau? this kickstarter promised if I bought a game book I would get on average 500 hours of pleasant play experience, but I can't find any games on or offline because I'm kind of an antisocial weirdo and-

hello

hello

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hyphz posted:

Do you really want to say that people need to support their claims with evidence?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

spectralent posted:

Wait, what? I'm not sure I follow. Is there some mechanism by which Outrider style things are tax evasion or something?

No, they just got to a point where the IRS wanted them to start paying taxes on the payments (product) for the volunteers and they decided to shut the program down instead.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Mors Rattus posted:

yes hello better business bureau? this kickstarter promised if I bought a game book I would get on average 500 hours of pleasant play experience, but I can't find any games on or offline because I'm kind of an antisocial weirdo and-

It's a fair consideration. But again, there's the underlying trend.

Like, the thing that's bad about gym memberships in industry terms isn't that people are lazy. It's that that model means that the most profitable gyms are the ones who get the most people who buy memberships and don't work out. As in, if there are two gyms who get the same number of members, and one manages to get them in the door and the other doesn't, the one that doesn't will be more successful because its costs are lower. It might even get more renewals, because people who have actually worked out can find it's not for them, whereas people who don't but believe they will in the future will pay to maintain that belief. And it might not be malicious, the second gym owner might just have been clueless, but when he's the one who stays in business that "cluelessness" will propagate. One article estimated that some gyms actually depend on only 18% of their members actually showing up; if more did, they'd run out of capacity, and if they couldn't sell that number of memberships, they wouldn't make money.

And that's what the friend who saw the shelves thought about the "indie" RPG market. Basically, the argument is that anyone who regularly buys RPGs off the mainstream of D&D and a few of the other biggies like Cthulhu and maybe SR is pigeonholed as a customer who's prepared to buy new small systems when dissatisfied, and the Invisible Hand worked out that the way to get the most money from them is to not satisfy them. After all, if they were happily playing, they'd stop buying. It's the old White Wolf model of selling supplement after supplement to players who're hoping they'll eventually get the promised epic stories, except instead of selling supplement after supplement it's system after system. It might not be to the benefit of individual authors, but to the centralized platforms like DTRPG it's ideal.

And thinking about that, it's easy to see alternative reasons why Genesys never fixed autofire, WH never fixed encounter borders, the Google+ threads are still mandatory reading for FATE, etc..

I mean, I used to feel hope about this stuff, but the feeling that it was all a lie is seriously tempting at this point.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hyphz posted:

Okay, guess I'll throw my two cents into this black void.

Yes, it'd be nice if online lfg tools more advanced than recruitment posts on forums/roll20 existed. It'd be great if every tabletop rpg had a complete character builder and encounter builder and recruitment program. Do you know why none of this stuff exists? Because that all takes time, money, and skills that are severely limited by indie tabletop rpgs being made and sold largely by semi-professional hobbyists.

Like do you realize your whole argument boils down to "Tabletop RPGs can't afford to create complicated play aids for me!" Do you think it's a shocking twist that an industry that's built on self publishing and which had always been heavily analog and populated with luddites is slow in making web tools and digital aids?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 27, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

hyphz posted:

It's a fair consideration. But again, there's the underlying trend.

Like, the thing that's bad about gym memberships in industry terms isn't that people are lazy. It's that that model means that the most profitable gyms are the ones who get the most people who buy memberships and don't work out. As in, if there are two gyms who get the same number of members, and one manages to get them in the door and the other doesn't, the one that doesn't will be more successful because its costs are lower. It might even get more renewals, because people who have actually worked out can find it's not for them, whereas people who don't but believe they will in the future will pay to maintain that belief. And it might not be malicious, the second gym owner might just have been clueless, but when he's the one who stays in business that "cluelessness" will propagate. One article estimated that some gyms actually depend on only 18% of their members actually showing up; if more did, they'd run out of capacity, and if they couldn't sell that number of memberships, they wouldn't make money.

And that's what the friend who saw the shelves thought about the "indie" RPG market. Basically, the argument is that anyone who regularly buys RPGs off the mainstream of D&D and a few of the other biggies like Cthulhu and maybe SR is pigeonholed as a customer who's prepared to buy new small systems when dissatisfied, and the Invisible Hand worked out that the way to get the most money from them is to not satisfy them. After all, if they were happily playing, they'd stop buying. It's the old White Wolf model of selling supplement after supplement to players who're hoping they'll eventually get the promised epic stories, except instead of selling supplement after supplement it's system after system. It might not be to the benefit of individual authors, but to the centralized platforms like DTRPG it's ideal.

And thinking about that, it's easy to see alternative reasons why Genesys never fixed autofire, WH never fixed encounter borders, the Google+ threads are still mandatory reading for FATE, etc..

I mean, I used to feel hope about this stuff, but the feeling that it was all a lie is seriously tempting at this point.

have you ever stopped and considered that, rather than the Tabletop RPG industry being a great conspiracy to steal your money without you getting to play games, perhaps the issue is that you are depressed and also extremely bad at communication

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Mors Rattus posted:

have you ever stopped and considered that, rather than the Tabletop RPG industry being a great conspiracy to steal your money without you getting to play games, perhaps the issue is that you are depressed and also extremely bad at communication

It's not a conspiracy because it's not deliberate, any more than the gym owner who didn't try to get people in the door and made more money might have just been lazy. But I would say it's a potential market failure.

And it isn't just me, literally any forum - including this one with stuff on chat, F&F, resolutions, etc. - will be full of people saying they can't get games of non mainstream systems. Given how that's been the case for so long and given how that's the most profitable situation for DTRPG and Co, there's at least a good chance that the reason that's not changing is that that's the equilibrium.

Imagine how different the RPG industry and RPG books would be if authors got a payment each time a game was played? It'd be the same as if gyms could only charge when people actually walked through the door to exercise. And pretty soon, average fitness would go up.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 27, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

hyphz posted:

It's not a conspiracy because it's not deliberate, any more than the gym owner who didn't try to get people in the door and made more money might have just been lazy. But I would say it's a potential market failure.

And it isn't just me, literally any forum - including this one with stuff on chat, F&F, resolutions, etc. - will be full of people saying they can't get games of non mainstream systems. Given how that's been the case for so long and given how that's the most profitable situation for DTRPG and Co, there's at least a good chance that the reason that's not changing is that that's the equilibrium.

I propose the solution to your problem is to leave the market and find another hobby, then.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

hyphz posted:

Imagine how different the RPG industry and RPG books would be if authors got a payment each time a game was played? It'd be the same as if gyms could only charge when people actually walked through the door to exercise. And pretty soon, average fitness would go up.

There would just be fewer gyms and fewer RPGs out there, and without the competition and drive and inter-communication between designers, the RPGs created would be worse.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Meinberg posted:

There would just be fewer gyms and fewer RPGs out there, and without the competition and drive and inter-communication between designers, the RPGs created would be worse.

I would wonder if losing a gym which could not afford to have people actually exercise would be much of a loss. It's also difficult to think why it would make RPGs worse for authors to have to think through a play experience rather than just writing enough blurb to sell a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

hyphz posted:

I would wonder if losing a gym which could not afford to have people actually exercise would be much of a loss. It's also difficult to think why it would make RPGs worse for authors to have to think through a play experience rather than just writing enough blurb to sell a book.

What does this even mean, 'think through a play experience' has nothing to do with 'make a thing so hyphz can find a group.'