Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Game of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Celeste 33 7.10%
Spider-man 10 2.15%
Red Dead Redemption 2 32 6.88%
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 32 6.88%
Monster Hunter World 63 13.55%
God of War 26 5.59%
Into the Breach 7 1.51%
Hitman 2 17 3.66%
Dragon Ball Fighterz 4 0.86%
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle 0 0%
Tetris Effect 2 0.43%
Graveyard Keep 3 0.65%
Octopath Traveler 6 1.29%
Assassin's Creed Odyssey 12 2.58%
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 5 1.08%
Something not listed multiplatform 18 3.87%
Something not listed by Nintendo 1 0.22%
Something not listed by Sony 2 0.43%
Something not listed by Microsoft 1 0.22%
Something not listed on PC 15 3.23%
Something not listed that's indie 15 3.23%
Something that came out late last year 2 0.43%
Something that didn't come out this year but you played this year 23 4.95%
Something that doesn't fit other categories but you want anyways 4 0.86%
Bowsette 132 28.39%
Total: 465 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

I’m going to a chalet in the country for like a week, what iPad JRPG should I get

romancing saga 2 if you want to be confused forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

axelblaze posted:

Also now taking January thread name suggestions

They Called The 13th Month Of The Year January

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think I'm pretty good at Hitman 2 but there's no way I'm going to complete the Holiday Hoarders challenges without strict adherence to a guide. I replayed the Showstopper (Paris mission) twice to unlock some of the mastery items to make it a little easier on me vis a vis starting locations, and I noticed that there's a lethal poison as the level 15 reward. That's huge, and none of the other Hitman 1 stages have mastery rewards that come near as useful in my opinion. I didn't quite get there in one go, and the second play through was specifically to trigger the fireworks and snipe the two targets from the barge. Being able to stash a sniper rifle in a briefcase so that I can run into a shed as an AV guy and not have to think about swapping my costume, just grab the case and assemble it at the base of the ladder is a welcome improvement.

Of course any time spent with Agnet 47 is time spent away from Smash, but I can pace myself. I've been unlocking characters at a decent clip, basically playing a mode (Smash, World of Light, Classic, Spirit Board) until a challenger appears, then I move on to the next mode. Keeps things fresh and by the time I get back to regular 1v1 smash I've got a few characters I try out, pushing me closer to that next guy and so on. I haven't been cheesing the system outside of closing the software when I'm done for the session.

Games are still good, after all these years.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just copy-paste a link to Counting Crows' Long December

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kind of enjoying the characterization of celebrimbor as some kind of magpie for magic poo poo.

Like every time he finds some magic poo poo he just immediately says he needs it, doesn't matter what it is. Palantirs, rings, light bulbs, elven poo poo. All for meee.

And if you leave him alone he starts making his own magic poo poo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1078321612569473024

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

eh i can't even control the game with that katana

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

glorious nippon steel

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sekiro is gonna be great. a dark souls but with mobility, a grappling hook, 2nd chances, and viable stealth kills sounds like some kind of Monster Hunter World-esque accessible entry. I'm kind of glad they did away with the milquetoast stats functionality too.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think coming from bloodborne it definitely makes sense to lean further into the quick action style but I wanna see what they'd do with the alternate approach. A dark souls but even slower and with even more stats.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

After a minute of me going "Why aren't they showing Abby?" that was a cute reveal. Still a little sad Abby didn't get to play.

Also I still can't tell who like four of those caricatures are supposed to be.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phantasium posted:

eh i can't even control the game with that katana

Some YouTube superstar is going to beat the game with it regardless

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

I think coming from bloodborne it definitely makes sense to lean further into the quick action style but I wanna see what they'd do with the alternate approach. A dark souls but even slower and with even more stats.

"Bloodborne but an isometric strategy game for discovery and horror" would be extremely my poo poo. Just mangle XCOM around and give me a squad of Hunters across a map of cathedrals and catacombs

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

man, terrorist louis gets in smash but guerilla mike still confined to tennis games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

isnt this basically loving's Field.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dark Souls on a plane

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Shout out to Celeste which I have played through for the 4th time this year. Also should out to the Nintendo Switch, god's perfect console

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Sekiro seems like it'll be cool AND an opportunity to climb outta the hole they dug trying to please the 'git gud' crowd

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

an opportunity to climb outta the hole they dug trying to please the 'git gud' crowd

idgi

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

Go play King's Field

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some people are mad DS3 was hard I guess?

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
It's more that I felt that as the series went on they missed 'hard' and landed on 'obnoxious'

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'm mad because DS3 was such a bad game and want From to git gud again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've no idea why you'd think Sekiro would reverse that then, it looks to be on the same level as BB but without any stat gains to paper over not 'getting good' as it were.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Healbot posted:

I'm mad because DS3 was such a bad game and want From to git gud again.

It's equal worst game in the series but that's still far from being bad

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Slanderous horseshit. Wario is the hero of the mushroom kingdom.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/TechCrunch/status/1078316288915791873

Holy poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

they should give me like. 10 grand. thats like a rounding error for them.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
This enemy damages your max health if you're in line of sight of it

*slaps 45 of them in an otherwise completely empty box of a room, calls it a day*

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wasn't empty there was uh, that dude in a cell

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Abandoning Microsoft, Gears of War, and all ties with CliffyB has paid off big time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

This enemy damages your max health if you're in line of sight of it

*slaps 45 of them in an otherwise completely empty box of a room, calls it a day*

it was a cool area

May 8, 2006

Yeah, DS3 is where they did they worst job of it IMO, if Sekiro is on par with BB it'll be a goty contender for me for sure

May 8, 2006

whoops

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

DS3 was harder?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still better than dragon butts and Capra demons

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

Yeah, DS3 is where they did they worst job of it IMO, if Sekiro is on par with BB it'll be a goty contender for me for sure

If Sekiro is on par with BB it's going to be the best game of all time, along with BB

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When is From going to cater to me and go back to making weird poo poo no one likes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

how much will Sekiro have in common with Otogi