Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Broken Machine posted:

what is it with ms and settings that don't actually work? sometimes my desktop will lag for a second or two and it will ask me, "oh hey do you want to turn off aero?" and one of the choices is No, gently caress You Never Ask Me Again and i think i've probably selected that about a few dozen times and it still asks me every time. i mean, if one of the choices was No, gently caress You Please Ask Me Every Time I Love This Dialog i would appreciate the honesty but this is just insulting and they do this bunches

update to a modern windows and this problem will go away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

thanks, ms, for taking away sub-pixel font smoothing for the sake the zero (0) windows users running in portrait mode years and years before high-dpi screens are ubiquitous

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

thanks, ms, for taking away sub-pixel font smoothing for the sake the zero (0) windows users running in portrait mode years and years before high-dpi screens are ubiquitous

why the gently caress are you using a low dpi display? it’s almost 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Wait, what? Did windows remove support for sub-pixel rendering any more? Or do modern apps just not have it in the first place?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

mystes posted:

Wait, what? Did windows remove support for sub-pixel rendering any more? Or do modern apps just not have it in the first place?

the second one

because of high dpi and portrait/mobile

but let's not let facts get in the way of rage

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
my favorite thing about it is that it's not even 100%. sometimes you get subpixel and sometimes you don't

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
almond joy's got nuts, mounds don't

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Microsoft Word was, is and always will be a POS

https://twitter.com/pauldix/status/1078030275320430592

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/fukawi2/status/1078158430504800256

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

at least you won't get hacked by witches

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

why the gently caress are you using a low dpi display? it’s almost 2019

they did this back on win8 when everything was still like 1080 or 720 16x9 tv panels if you were lucky. I got a retina Mac because I knew a sinking ship when I saw it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why did you hop aboard a sinking ship?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'd rather be on a sinking luxury liner than a sinking garbage barge

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
then why did you get a mac?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's entirely fair to complain about how badly ms has hosed up font rendering over the last decade, but mac users probably oughtn't throw stones

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
It used to be easy buying a new monitor. Bigger number = better than. But now there are at least 3 different numbers you need to maximize and they're at least partially mutually exclusive

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Wheany posted:

It used to be easy buying a new monitor. Bigger number = better than. But now there are at least 3 different numbers you need to maximize and they're at least partially mutually exclusive

don't forget the competing variable refresh rate standards

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

infernal machines posted:

it's entirely fair to complain about how badly ms has hosed up font rendering over the last decade, but mac users probably oughtn't throw stones

Mac font rendering has always been atrocious, they simply don't know any better.

This person should learn about proper screenshoting before being allowed to tweet again.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

just quoting oughtn't, for no particular reason

mystes
May 31, 2006

The problem with traditional windows font rendering is that they did dumb stuff to make fonts sharp that screwed up text layout and isn't really practical now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

god i love it when design blind programmers try to talk about visual arts

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
"I prefer my fonts to be rendered so they're harder to read" - Mac user

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

if you’re not rendering text in high dpi, idk what to tell you. you can’t support legacy tech forever

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

windows on the left, mac on the right

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Toady posted:

both look fine to me

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I suspect two fonts point values shouldn't render the same size

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

16pt? gently caress you here's 15.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Toady posted:

Is this supposed to illustrate how terrible Mac font rendering is? Looks like someone smeared the letters. Focusing on readability instead of exact shapes is the right move for screen font rendering.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My Linux Rig posted:

both look fine to me

Lambert posted:

Is this supposed to illustrate how terrible Mac font rendering is? Looks like someone smeared the letters. Focusing on readability instead of exact shapes is the right move for screen font rendering.

are you both blind or what

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

are you both blind or what

worse—microsoft employees

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you think GDI font rendering is a good idea, please try spending an hour laying out stuff in floating drawing objects in word.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

mystes posted:

If you think GDI font rendering is a good idea, please try spending an hour laying out stuff in floating drawing objects in word.

why would i ever do that?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wheany posted:

why would i ever do that?
Because you want to hate your life?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

did you just tell me to go gently caress myself?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Like I wouldn't recommend actually using it for anything, but it actually shows really well how not being able to arbitrarily size/position text and as a result having things change completely at different zoom levels can be really annoying.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mystes posted:

definitely prefer NOD font rendering myself

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

carry on then posted:

worse—microsoft employees

:ninja:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'd rather write latex than deal with ms word tbqh

akadajet