Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

christmas boots posted:

RP sure, but Vinnie Jones sounds plenty threatening to me.

Vinnie Jones is as close to a 90's New York street tough that England can produce. And then he starts talking and it sounds like he's going to invite you to a tea party at the queen's and it all just falls apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_IFHtec5S8

Vinnie Jones rules though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
What about Danny Dyer? I'm always convinced he's about to stab anyone around him just because of the way he talks. He chews his words expertly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

But but but

Imagine Dragons last album was not great

Also all of the albums before that

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nm

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Dec 27, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Straight White Shark posted:

Also all of the albums before that
Oh so I gotta go to bat for Imagine Dragons? Cause they're amazing and if you don't like them you hate fun. Or just arena rock in general. They're the perfect example of listenable rock.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fizzymercy posted:

Oh so I gotta go to bat for Imagine Dragons? Cause they're amazing and if you don't like them you hate fun. Or just arena rock in general. They're the perfect example of listenable rock.

When I think "arena rock" I tend to think of bands like Queen. I've heard some Imagine Dragons because my brother and sister like them but they usually sound a bit gutless to me. That's fair enough if it's what you like (everybody likes some kind of music) but it sort of reminds me of the time I was listening to BBC Radio 2 and someone called in to describe how they'd been "rocking out to Train" the previous night. (HEY SOUL SISTER :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:)

Serious question: what did people like about Nickelback? What niche did they fill? Surely Foo Fighters were already around to satisfy the audience for competent meat and potatoes dad rock revivalism already when Nickelback showed up?

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Dec 27, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fizzymercy posted:

They should be imprisoned for art crimes. Everyone who says things like "you must hate fun" listens to insanely bad music. There are lots of fun bands that are also good.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

When I think "arena rock" I tend to think of bands like Queen. I've heard some Imagine Dragons because my brother and sister like them but they usually sound a bit gutless to me. That's fair enough if it's what you like (everybody likes some kind of music) but it sort of reminds me of the time I was listening to BBC Radio 2 and someone called in to describe how they'd been "rocking out to Train" the previous night. (HEY SOUL SISTER :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:)

Serious question: what did people like about Nickelback? What niche did they fill? Surely Foo Fighters were already around to satisfy the audience for competent meat and potatoes dad rock revivalism already when Nickelback showed up?

Eh yeah, I am actually using the phrase "arena rock" wrong, I think. I just mean a band that sounds as good or better live and fill the niche of sounding agreeably melodic while still being loud. 311 fills this for me. So did Linkin Park or Shinedown. Just loud rock that is radio accessible and can destroy a Ticketmaster with presales. Sometimes you just wanna jam out, ya know?

I also don't understand Nickleback but if I'm totally honest I never tried to like them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I didn't mind nickelback much when I was younger, I think I even had a tshirt of theirs in highschool, but when "photograph" came out I started to intensely dislike them. That song is awful and it was practically everywhere on the radios back in the second half of the 2000s.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I don't exactly like Nickelback but they don't really sound worse than the five trillion other bands that sound exactly like them.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

They should be imprisoned for art crimes. Everyone who says things like "you must hate fun" listens to insanely bad music. There are lots of fun bands that are also good.

Nah sometimes people just like poo poo you don't.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fizzymercy posted:

Nah sometimes people just like poo poo you don't.

Most of the time I am live and let live with music but they make me want to drive a pencil into my ears and the idea of anyone enjoying them is as confusing to me as being a masochist.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Most of the time I am live and let live with music but they make me want to drive a pencil into my ears and the idea of anyone enjoying them is as confusing to me as being a masochist.

Oh okay no I totally understand that. Everything sucks if you don't like it.

But c'mon this makes you wanna bleed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKopy74weus

It is SO BLAND. In a good way.

This is the weirdest meltdown

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Dec 27, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, I once knew a guy who said his favourite bands were Nickelback and Def Leppard, unless he wanted to listen to something "sophisticated" in which he case he listened to Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

That's fine if that's what you're into, but what I personally don't get is how you can listen to Nickelback and listen to Def Leppard and still like Nickelback, because Def Leppard (and really most hair metal bands) were doing essentially the same thing as Nickelback except to my mind it's a lot more entertaining and generally had a higher standard of musicianship.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I mean, I once knew a guy who said his favourite bands were Nickelback and Def Leppard, unless he wanted to listen to something "sophisticated" in which he case he listened to Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

That's fine if that's what you're into, but what I personally don't get is how you can listen to Nickelback and listen to Def Leppard and still like Nickelback, because Def Leppard (and really most hair metal bands) were doing essentially the same thing as Nickelback except to my mind it's a lot more entertaining and generally had a higher standard of musicianship.

Def Leppard is butt rock or hair rock. It was beloved by people that Mike Judge was trying to make fun of. At some point he became bored of this and made B&B slightly more interesting but this didn't help Def Leppard's fans

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Nickelback somehow produced even worse imitators like Hinder and Saving Abel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

My least favourite is Theory of a Deadman, which is a band which Chad Kroeger "discovered" and got signed to his record label so he can "bring back rock and roll".

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^^^ Wait, that WAS in fact Chad Kroger? :allbuttons:

And Theory of a Dead Man. Before I knew they were a band, I thought each of their songs was by Nickelback.

Nickelback is just loving wretched as a band but by all accounts I've heard, they're very polite and respectful and that makes me not able to hate them the way I once did.

PHUO: "Popular" American bands'/their music are selected/promoted solely on the grounds of blandness and embarrassment factor and when a record label intern kills themselves rather than finish listening to a song, the label fast-tracks the entire album to popularity and the band to superstardom.
These are opinions, they don't have to be factually-based. :colbert:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Queens of the Stone Age are the only decent rock band in like 25 years

Radiohead is good obv but are they even rock idk

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

^^^ Wait, that WAS in fact Chad Kroger? :allbuttons:

And Theory of a Dead Man. Before I knew they were a band, I thought each of their songs was by Nickelback.

Nickelback is just loving wretched as a band but by all accounts I've heard, they're very polite and respectful and that makes me not able to hate them the way I once did.

PHUO: "Popular" American bands'/their music are selected/promoted solely on the grounds of blandness and embarrassment factor and when a record label intern kills themselves rather than finish listening to a song, the label fast-tracks the entire album to popularity and the band to superstardom.
These are opinions, they don't have to be factually-based. :colbert:

Many of these bands are Canadian!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

Queens of the Stone Age are the only decent rock band in like 25 years

Radiohead is good obv but are they even rock idk

Josh Homme is good but did you know he hangs out with known blue collar rocker Dave Grohl?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the most recent band to break through in a big-ish way is Greta Van Fleet, who I believe are Australians. I haven't heard any of their music myself so I don't know if they're any good or not.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the most recent band to break through in a big-ish way is Greta Van Fleet, who I believe are Australians. I haven't heard any of their music myself so I don't know if they're any good or not.

They're from Michigan. About 40 minutes North of my hometown in fact. They're spiritually Australian because all the other big "retro" hard rock fad bands have been.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

They're from Michigan. About 40 minutes North of my hometown in fact. They're spiritually Australian because all the other big "retro" hard rock fad bands have been.

Huh. I wonder who I'm thinking of. Wolfmother? Again, the sum total of my knowledge of Wolfmother is that interview from about a decade ago where Mike Patton hears them playing in the background and derisively asks, "What decade is this?"

My current music opinion which may be unpopular is that the peak era for Queen was 1976-1980 (i.e. just after Day at the Races through to The Game) when they were being denounced by the music press as "the world's first fascist rock band". Another opinion is that Thin Lizzy deserved to be as successful as U2 but I don't believe that's terribly unpopular.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Huh. I wonder who I'm thinking of. Wolfmother? Again, the sum total of my knowledge of Wolfmother is that interview from about a decade ago where Mike Patton hears them playing in the background and derisively asks, "What decade is this?"

Wolfmother, Jet, Airbourne, etc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder why that is.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I always play a game that if I hear a song I don't recognize and it sucks it's probably Imagine Dragons and I'm always correct.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

syscall girl posted:

Josh Homme is good but did you know he hangs out with known blue collar rocker Dave Grohl?

Dave Grohl really gets around

Dean Ween plays guitar on songs for the deaf, too

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Wheat Loaf posted:

Of all the conversations I've had with people about music through the years I think my most :what: memory is a girl insisting Camp Kill Yourself was her favourite ever band, tattoos the lot, very strange

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

p sure all of their music totals up to like 50 minutes

I liked them in their heyday and they're really not that bad, they have some good riffs

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The_Rob posted:

I always play a game that if I hear a song I don't recognize and it sucks it's probably Imagine Dragons and I'm always correct.

When I hear a song out in the wild that is so bad that it feels like an assault on my ears, sometimes I'll Shazam it just because I want to know who is responsible for torturing me, and no joke, every single time I've done it for the last few years it's turned out to be Imagine Dragons. Truly the most suck rear end band that has ever existed.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Blizzard is a terrible company and I think anyone who actively supports them is a loon.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

They are an excellent business. Unfortunately as much as "gamers" want them to be, there will never be a successful company again that prioritizes player enjoyment/entertainment. It's all about the lootboxes and it will never change, because nothing else is as profitable.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

yeah I eat rear end posted:

They are an excellent business. Unfortunately as much as "gamers" want them to be, there will never be a successful company again that prioritizes player enjoyment/entertainment. It's all about the lootboxes and it will never change, because nothing else is as profitable.

Well yeah as a business they're on top of the world, but I'm talking about them as a company that just wants to make a fun game. They're not looking to sell overwatch as a great team shooter, they're just looking to make whatever changes they can to placate the people who'll gladly spend $100 or more at a time in the hopes of getting the Mei skin they wanted. That's also gambling and I can't wait to see more and more countries bring the law down on them. It's no wonder why indie games are on the rise, people are burnt out on these flash-in-the-pan games like overwatch and they just want a more sustainable game to play, or at least a game they can look back fondly on.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

spit on my clit posted:

Well yeah as a business they're on top of the world, but I'm talking about them as a company that just wants to make a fun game. They're not looking to sell overwatch as a great team shooter, they're just looking to make whatever changes they can to placate the people who'll gladly spend $100 or more at a time in the hopes of getting the Mei skin they wanted. That's also gambling and I can't wait to see more and more countries bring the law down on them. It's no wonder why indie games are on the rise, people are burnt out on these flash-in-the-pan games like overwatch and they just want a more sustainable game to play, or at least a game they can look back fondly on.

Trust me, I'd be very glad if lootboxes in all of their forms were illegal, it would save me a lot of money.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It should be illegal to have the same avatar as another poster

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

take it up with whoever bought these cat avatars. Every time I try to bring back my cute duck one someone just buys this one again

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I agree.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Trust me, I'd be very glad if lootboxes in all of their forms were illegal, it would save me a lot of money.

Lootboxes and gacha really are the biggest plague in the industry right now, even more annoying by how much they push it by making everything suck in comparison to what you could get, and no amount of making it "not as bad" will make it good, because it is bad by definition. There are no good excuses in favor of it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I don't exactly like Nickelback but they don't really sound worse than the five trillion other bands that sound exactly like them.

Nickelback posted:

I like your pants around your feet
And I like the dirt that's on your knees
And I like the way you say please
While you're looking up at me
You're like my favorite drat disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Michelle Branch should have been more popular than almost any of her peers, including Avril. She's just better and didn't make that stupid hello kitty song.