Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
seriously lacking in :black101: rip and tear that one if the idea that boobs or :females: would make uh i guess doomperson any less :krad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

sneakyfrog posted:

seriously lacking in :black101: rip and tear that one if the idea that boobs or :females: would make uh i guess doomperson any less :krad:

Obviously you didn't go to college

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

purple death ray posted:

Obviously you didn't go to college

i have guns and lasers though and a real chainsaw does that count?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
hahaha you should click the question mark under Arivia's name, all of their posts are this wonderful downward spiral of desperately insisting that DOOM needs no gender criticism applied to it and how dare you even think of wanting to play a woman in it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871945&userid=174162

edit: lmfaoooooooo

Arivia posted:

So no. It’s okay to admit you don’t have relevant education but you’re still interested! It’s okay to admit you don’t know! Practice some humility, learn your own limits.

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 19:34 on Dec 27, 2018

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lol y'all got me to post in a loving wow thread.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sneakyfrog posted:

i have guns and lasers though and a real chainsaw does that count?

life is real weird

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Arivia is also (or was, last time I had her off ignore) a tumblr-tier militant transwoman who was really big on jumping all over things that didn't support sufficient transgender representation, which just makes that whole thing more hilarious.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:sigh: I don't even understand what they're trying to say.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

quote:

"feminism?!" Arivia kramers in the door and just keeps kramering, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. they kramer against your toilet, busting it up big time. you get the feeling they're trying to say something to you but they're kramering at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as they finally nail a window and fall out you think you hear them exclaim "I've got a degree in English and Women's Studies, that's what's so CRAZY about this" on the way down

edit:

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you click the ? under their name and read their posts in succession their message becomes clear: Wanting to play a female character in DOOM trivializes "real" feminist theory and critique of texts because reasons, and the uneducated plebs should just shut up

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

That persons post seriously reminds me of the goon chess allegory posted once.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Arivia is a notorious crazy person and posts just as vitriolically because people don't play dungeons and dragons in the same way as she does.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

remember to spay and neuter your vets

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

remember to spay and neuter your vets

exhibit B: goons in platoons

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Arivia is kinda nuts but I can't focus because I'm still flummoxed by 2018 Catra's inherent coolness.

That's what deserves our attention- cartoons, y'all.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cythereal posted:

This is in response to someone saying they'd have liked the option to play as a woman in Doom 2016.

If you read all her posts in the thread, she really does have a point.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're saying that there is so little gender presentation in Doom that caring about whether or not Doomguy is a man or a woman is dumb.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Patrick Spens posted:

They're saying that there is so little gender presentation in Doom that caring about whether or not Doomguy is a man or a woman is dumb.

But also that wanting to play as a Doomlady is dangerous to feminism and if you don't see that it's because you're not educated.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ah, mad about people caring about something the wrong way. Yeah, that happens to me too. I have opinions on Cuban sandwiches and chili.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I also jerk off overhand

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Appeal to authority: a non-fallacious argument that you should absolutely use constantly.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
cuban sandwiches are serious business. my intern ordered one without mustard or pickles last month and i almost reported him to the police

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

cuban sandwiches are serious business. my intern ordered one without mustard or pickles last month and i almost reported him to the police

I'm feeling so many things right now....it's hard to articulate. It's like a combination of blinding rage and concern.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Deep Thoreau posted:

That persons post seriously reminds me of the goon chess allegory posted once.

I'd like to know more about this. Quote or link anyone?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
he is not allowed to order ham sandwiches around me anymore.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sneakyfrog posted:

A cubano without mustard and pickles is heavy on the NO.

Kindly submit this post to that funny forums quote thread, please.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

dee eight posted:

I'd like to know more about this. Quote or link anyone?

quote:

A better analogy would be if someone walks into a championship tournament, says "GEE I THINK I MAY HAVE TRANSCENDED THE UNDERSTANDING OF SOME OF YOU GRANDMASTERS HERE, WANT TO JOIN MY NEW SCHOOL OF CHESS STRATEGY?", then loses by scholar's mate twice in the first round.

This person then refuses to leave his seat, claiming that he needs additional proof that the queen in f7 actually ontologically exists before he will admit defeat, and that the rules of the CHESS ESTABLISHMENT were unfairly biased against him by disallowing the possibility of his king being able to leapfrog pieces.

Then he pulls out an ancient shopping list from 1905 and claims that "1. Eggs" means 'The King', "2. Butter" means 'can', and "3. Milk" means 'leapfrog'. This is admissible evidence for his case because he has lived according to the dictates of this list since he was a teenager, and it has drastically improved his quality of life. When the referees tell him that this makes no loving sense, he drags them into a three hour debate over the precise meaning of the words 'makes', 'no', 'loving', and 'sense'.

When people point out that there is more than enough evidence to suggest his list is just a scrap of paper from some long-dead housewife's purse, he rather proudly points out how close-minded they are in dismissing outright the possibility that the list was in fact a secret coded message on the best way to live life, originally formulated by Atlanteans and passed down through the ages disguised as everyday documents. After all, if one starts with the presupposition that such a document exists, then it would be very fair to argue that it is indeed in the form of his shopping list.

Never mind that his previous interpretations of the list led to three convictions and time served for robbery, hate crimes, and murder. These were just unfortunate misinterpretations on his part of the list's true intentions, he says. The list itself is blameless. In fact, the Atlanteans deliberately obfuscated the true meaning of the list in this way, so that it would require multiple failed misinterpretations before one would happen across its TRUE meaning, and in doing so appreciate it all the more.

In fact, he does have some evidence to back up his claims. Why, just last week during his daily meditation on the list, he felt it telling him that something good was about to happen in his future. And yesterday, wouldn't you know it, he found a twenty dollar note on the sidewalk! Evidence of the list's prophetic powers if I ever saw one. And believe him, he has many more stories where that came from.

By now, the debate has splintered off into innumerable tangents, with the one man against literally every other player and referee present at the tournament. Finally, he graciously accepts the possibility of defeat in some of the myriad topics now being covered. OK, maybe the tallest player doesn't always get to go first. Fine, I will concede that there isn't much evidence to support my third-invisible-knight hypothesis. But that's all irrelevant. What he wants to concentrate on, and what nobody has yet been able to disprove, he adds, is the ability of the king to leapfrog over other pieces.

The argument drags on for weeks. Finally, one afternoon, the beet-faced referee exhausts his last reserves of decency and throws his arms up in frustration and despair. "YOU loving RETARD, HOW CAN YOU LAY CLAIM TO KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT CHESS STRATEGY WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN GRASP THE MOST BASIC RULES!?" He shouts, just as a new entrant walks through the door. "I'm sorry," replies the man calmly, "I simply cannot discuss the rules of chess with such an 'official' if you insist on using such strong and uncouth language. Please retract your insults or I will be forced to plug my ears whenever you say anything from now on."

Seeing only this last exchange, the new entrant pipes up. "He's right, you know. If he did something wrong, then you as the referee have every right to tell him he is so, but it should be done with a patient and thorough explanation of the details of his error. Hurling ridicule at him solves nothing and won't change anyone's mind."

The lazy eye of the retarded List-following, King-leapfrogging man twitches almost unnoticeably, as he cranes his head towards the source of this new voice. A welcoming smile cracks, inch by beaming inch, across his face. He licks his lips. He clears his throat.

"So glad to know decent people like you still value a polite discussion. Care for a game?"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paladinus posted:

She often does, but she always presents it in the most ridiculously hostile and condescending way, and I think that if she doesn’t invoke her Rigorous Academic Training once every eight hours someone will come and confiscate her degree. I often find myself wishing I didn’t agree with her, because she makes it so embarrassing to speak up in her defence.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Subjunctive posted:

She often does, but she always presents it in the most ridiculously hostile and condescending way, and I think that if she doesn’t invoke her Rigorous Academic Training once every eight hours someone will come and confiscate her degree. I often find myself wishing I didn’t agree with her, because she makes it so embarrassing to speak up in her defence.

The heck of it is, I even basically agree it's not important in this particular game. But she took "It's a fun game, but I wish there'd been an option to play a woman" and ran screaming into the abyss ranting and raving about feminist theory and not engaging with the text and God knows what other bullshit.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

I also jerk off overhand

I prefer underhanded masturbation.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Paladinus posted:

Subjunctive posted:

This is the difficult part. The point underlying it isn't necessarily wrong, and (reading between the lines) I actually agree with her to a certain extent, but it's funny because she's criticising others for not having the (ostensibly) necessary education to discuss a complex topic like this in a productive and considerate way, and yet she is making such a complete mess of it and triggering the exact backlash against gender discussion points that she was condescendingly warning others against.

Plus she brought a thesaurus to a poop fight, that ain't gonna make you many friends

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Practice some humility, learn your own limits.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Someone who understands so little about power dynamics as to willingly bring a thesaurus to a poop fight has demonstrated that they also don't know poo poo about social theory as a whole and their degree should be confiscated for gross incompetence

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

sneakyfrog posted:

Nice to know that Granos is trying to become a productive member of society

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

People really have a hard time reconciling the fact women are actually just regular people, don't they?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Picnic Princess posted:

People really have a hard time reconciling the fact women are actually just regular people, don't they?

understatement of the entirety of human history

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Picnic Princess posted:

but they have boobs and stuff :smith:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Woah, woah, woah. Before we get crazy here and start declaring women "people" let's all take a breathe and calm down. Next thing you know we'll be saying they should own land.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
changing gears here, but this reaction to a link I posted has had me giggling for the past couple minutes

CommonShore posted:

What's this? Is there some brand of figurines named Cummingon? Lets see.. god... OH NO :psypop:

:nms: that poo poo

Link is extremely NWS obviously (but apparently not as obviously as I first thought)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Subjunctive posted:

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

This is the difficult part. The point underlying it isn't necessarily wrong, and (reading between the lines) I actually agree with her to a certain extent, but it's funny because she's criticising others for not having the (ostensibly) necessary education to discuss a complex topic like this in a productive and considerate way, and yet she is making such a complete mess of it and triggering the exact backlash against gender discussion points that she was condescendingly warning others against.

Plus she brought a thesaurus to a poop fight, that ain't gonna make you many friends

Still, I encourage everyone to read all her posts, and actually pay attention to what is being said. Maybe even read the entire WoW thread to get more context. Even if you disagree with the poster, it's very elucidating regardless, and there are lessons to be learnt from both sides of the discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Still, I encourage everyone to read all her posts, and actually pay attention to what is being said. Maybe even read the entire WoW thread to get more context. Even if you disagree with the poster, it's very elucidating regardless, and there are lessons to be learnt from both sides of the discussion.

No I will not.