Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Hoodwinker posted:

But jeez, man, I feel like they're a generation or two away from creating little Zaurglings who don't understand the time value of money or how it works.

The way I read that they are already in the generation that doesn't understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

TraderStav posted:

Those things are money pits too. Before my kids outgrew it (and I dumped it on the curb with a huge satisfying grin) I replaced the motors several times on each wheel, the battery, the tires, and I think some other part in there. They wear like a mofo and the replacement parts are crazy.

Now what’s really BWM and likely BWL is the community around modding these up to crazy speeds and torque. They’re chaining batteries together and doing all sorts of nutso poo poo.

Sorry you crashed and knocked your head little Tyler, I’m sure the kids won’t make too much fun of your new stutter at school.
A 5-hp Go-Kart with a B&S engine is only ~$100 more than a Power Wheels. And your kids will still have fun playing with them in their 30s.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ive never seen a person with a dismal go kart, they're always a broken one rusting away in some gen Xers garage.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Functional, not dismal. Can't edit when phone posting.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Panfilo posted:

Functional, not dismal. Can't edit when phone posting.

The Awful Android app definitely can, dunno what you're using though.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Panfilo posted:

Ive never seen a person with a dismal go kart, they're always a broken one rusting away in some gen Xers garage.
At the risk of eating a 6-er, my parents got one for me when I was a kid. I was playing with my niece and nephews a year or two ago and it fired up right away. I had to replace the inner tubes on the tires and the drive chain. The kids had a blast and we'll probably fire them up again when the kids are back at my parents' place.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I was talking with my uncle during the holidays and he asked me if he thought it was a good idea to buy stocks on margin due to the dip. I said probably not and he responds with “yeah, the rate is 9% which really makes me wonder if it’s worth it.” I say that sounds pretty high interest rate and he goes “oh well I’m including the Edward Jones 3% fee on the trade”. I nearly spit out my drink and say a place like Fidelity charges $5 and just says “yeah but I don’t use them”.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I have completed my pilgrimage to the BWM mecca. I'll be setting up a new thread and Golden Wonderhanger awards soon

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Severely underwater in credit card debt
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a9u8wa/severely_underwater_in_credit_card_debt/

quote:

I used to have great credit, then after my divorce, I keep racking up credit card debt with no way out. My overall portfolio is net positive, but I have worked for startups my whole career and have a lot of private stock that has increased in value but hasn’t had a liquidity event.

I’m in a 1 br apartment with 2 kids (50% custody), where I sleep on the couch when I have the kids.

My monthly income is around $8,000 with the following expenses:

$2k child support
$2k alimony
$3k rent (NYC)
$1k cc interest

All of my living expenses are put on my credit card. I currently have over $70k of debt on the cards. The alimony will only be paid out for 2 more years. I have over $500k of private company stock from employee bonuses (based on the last round of financing), but I don’t know when I will be able to get any liquidity out of the stock - the owner keeps telling me an acquisition is in the works and I’ll get paid out then.

Not really sure what to do, I’ve tried living further out of the city in a cheaper apartment, but between the kids’ school and activities, I couldn’t sustain work and transporting them, so my rent is about as cheap as I can get it.

It seems kind of useless to budget when the necessities alone put me well over my income, and trying to get lower interest on the cards doesn’t seem feasible while I’m continuing to rack up more debt. Anyone have any advice?
(CAN) International student dropped out. $25k debt. No way to service it in the long term.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a9qiqu/can_international_student_dropped_out_25k_debt_no/

quote:

I am an international student in a university in Canada. One thing has led to another and I am unable to finish my degree and am going to leave in a few days. The problem is, I have about $25k in loans, one as a $20k line of credit (8% APR) and another $5k credit card (25% APR). I have about $2k in my Canadian bank account currently that I will use to service these while I can, but I have no income and no other assets, be it at home or Canada.

In my home country, fresh college grads can expect the equivalent of $600-$800 salary, so as a drop-out, I don't expect I can get more than $200-$300 per month, so servicing these loans is going to be extremely difficult/impossible, especially since my home country has strict currency control and only exporters/importers and currently enrolled international students can send money internationally.

My question is, what is the worst possible outcome if I have to end up defaulting? Again, I want to service the loans and I will with my $2k saved up as long as possible, but outside of that, I don't see many other ways to handle this.
I'm 31, 45K in debt with no clue on how to pay them off, and have nada in savings. Super freaking out now that I want to plan my future, any help would be greatly appreciated!
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a9dz03/im_31_45k_in_debt_with_no_clue_on_how_to_pay_them/

quote:

Hi PF,

I'm probably in one of the worst places a 31 year old can be, financially. Especially in the Bay Area. I've spent money willy nilly for almost 8 years straight. Now that I want to plan for my future, I'm absolutely freaking out internally (as I should be) because of how supremely I've hosed myself over. I've botched it as supremely as Da Vinci drew Mona Lisa. I have a sense of humor about these things, so I've got that going for me, which is nice. Unfortunately comedy isn't the trade I ply, so it won't feed me or pay my bills. This is my roundabout plea for help. What better Xmas gift for myself other than a nice big dose of financial responsibility?

Here is what I owe (not counting student loans, which is ~20K):

code:
Credit Card	Balance	Minimum Pay	APR
AMEX	5397.55	357	29.99
Chase Frdm	6300.62	160	19.24
Chase Saphr	19,202.98	455	17.99
Barclaycard	2367.27	52.65	14.99
Paypal	1940.85	69.43	19.99
Citi Costco	7800.33	199.36	17.24
Car loan	444.99	324.28	6.00
TOTAL	43,454.26	1617.72	--
My income is ~5500 a month after taxes (and maxing out my 18K of retirement - which I only did at the beginning of this year when I turned 30).

Here are almost all my expenses:

Expense Amount
Rent 1900
Phone 70
Net / TV 200
Stdnt Loans 400
Minimums 1617.72
Car 325
Gas 150
AMC A List 20
Netflix 15
Linode 10
AAPL Music 10
Goo Drive 2
Dropbox 10
iCloud Drv 1
TOTAL 4730.72
I'm pretty much left with ~500 after setting aside $250 for food. What I would like is a game plan to get me out of this hole. Ideally something I can check on a daily basis to make sure I don't stray off my track. Maybe a burn down chart? How do I even budget?! I'm so lost and confused, and blaming myself heavily for doing this to myself. I can't talk to my friends about it because this is WAY too embarrassing (and I have this one friend who sometimes tells me he has a problem, which is having too much money and not knowing what to do with it - I told him to go enjoy life - which is the kindest way I can tell him to go gently caress right off - and then I feel depressed and miserable that I'm in this situation). Which makes me feel immature for feeling that way, and that makes me more depressed. It's such a vicious cycle that I can't take it anymore. I started reading the book "Your money or your life" and a book title has never hit me harder.

I know need a side hustle and the only one I can think of is being a Doordash / Uber food delivery person (or take up a job on the weekends or both? I don't know where I can find weekend only gigs though). My car is a 2 seater Miata so I can't Lyft/Uber.

It feels like what I need is the help of a financial planner but I can't afford one, clearly. So that's why I'm here.

.... it's 2:25am PST on Xmas Day. I'm so depressed financially it feels like my post is going to sink the bottom and never get any real / substantial help in planning for my future. If that's the case I hope a repost won't have horrible consequences :). Also I feel like nobody would want to be with me (I started seeing someone and I care for them a lot), which is why planning for my future is now the only thing I care about.

EDIT: ... it's 9:15am and I just woke up to shitloads of comments! I'm completely overwhelmed by the support and response, and it will take me some time to grok everything. The amount of support makes me feel like this is not an unsurmountable challenge, which is the best I can ask for at this point. Also /u/ironicosity - I was just sleeping (I posted this and went to bed at 2:30am or later), so I'm sorry I didn't partake in the discussion until now. I'll try to acknowledge comments individually now that I'm awake. Some quick updates though:

RENT: I live in the South Bay in a rent controlled area so moving isn't particularly the best option for me. I'd rather cut my expenses somewhere else, and I can probably get someone to move in with me by March after I donate / sell just about everything I don't need (a laptop, some books, and basic cookware is all I absolutely require).

SUBSCRIPTIONS: I have cancelled all of the subscriptions I can think of except what is noted above. I'm willing to cut out everything but AMC - my date and I are super avid movie buffs and I watch 3 movies a week on a consistent basis, and I don't buy anything from concessions. Outside of hanging out with people it's really the only thing I look forward to.

CAR: I think it would be absolutely stupid to get rid of it. If I were in SF I'd get rid of it in a heartbeat but where I live I find it impossible to get anything done without a car. I used to do it and everything took at least an hour longer. It takes me places that I need to get to and I'd rather use it to get some more money on the side, especially since it's almost paid off. I got it used for 10K with 30K miles on it so it'll serve me well for the next 5 years easy.

Obligatory thanks for the gold, stranger! Of all my years lurking, this is what gets me gold, haha. Thanks again, whoever you are!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Canadian international drop out seems pretty GWM since he is planning to go back home and can just walk away from the debt.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/a9pkm2/i_29m_just_spent_another_awkward_holiday_with_my/

quote:

I (29M) just spent another awkward holiday with my girlfriend's (28F) rich family

long story short OP is middle class, they are snobs. Read it or don't

but this is the relevant bit

quote:

SomeCase
4.1k points ·
19 hours ago

Just reading this made me tired. I don't want anything to do with her family's money for pretty much every reason you just stated, though that hasn't stopped her mom from calling me a gold digger.

Her parents do control her with money. GF is co-owner of a business and has a decent income of her own, but her lifestyle is way beyond what she's bringing in. She's really bad at managing her own money, has never had to make or stick to a budget and doesn't have much of a grasp on priorities when it comes to spending. Her parents pay for her townhouse and her credit cards. Whenever they get mad at her they threaten to suspend her cards and she freaks out because she doesn't have any of her own money set aside.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

smackfu posted:

Canadian international drop out seems pretty GWM since he is planning to go back home and can just walk away from the debt.

Yeah it sounds like they're from Iran or something based on the currency control description, the chance that Canadian creditors will successfully chase them into that court system seems pretty small

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

(CAN) International student dropped out. $25k debt. No way to service it in the long term.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a9qiqu/can_international_student_dropped_out_25k_debt_no/

Lol @ the people moralizing at this guy in the comments for considering default. Will someone please think of the banks!!!!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Christmas Day 3 continues... My 14 yr old brother in law just opened the cat, and the other one is from yesterday. Like I said, BWM master class.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

Christmas Day 3 continues... My 14 yr old brother in law just opened the cat, and the other one is from yesterday. Like I said, BWM master class.

Meh, the snowman kit looks like it goes for ~$10. The real BWM is flying to visit family during the most expensive time of year.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Meh, the snowman kit looks like it goes for ~$10. The real BWM is flying to visit family during the most expensive time of year.

Also BWL because you get to watch all the passive aggressive slapfights and relitigated multi-decade grievances while your blood pressure slowly rises! :v:

why the gently caress did I think this year would be different?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Thanatosian posted:

Real corn cob pipe included, you can toke up with Frosty, well worth the 10 bux.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Sundae posted:

Lol the Green Bay Packers sticker decorated cat statue is possibly the worst object that has ever existed

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sundae posted:

BWT (Bad With Taste)

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

cursed image

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sundae posted:

Fake coal, carrots, hats, scarf, buttons, and sticks, but real corn :patriot:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Vox Nihili posted:

Lol @ the people moralizing at this guy in the comments for considering default. Will someone please think of the banks!!!!

As a banker who used to do the underwriting, I wish we could dispense with the moralizing around ruthless defaults. Businesses do it all the goddamn time. I won't lend you money if you have done it in the past, but that is a business decision the same as your decision to default was. Buy the ticket, take the ride. Some percentage of borrowers will default, and we know that going in. If too many people are doing it, then we need to update our risk models.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Lol the Green Bay Packers sticker decorated cat statue is possibly the worst object that has ever existed

A green bay packers fan that likes cat statues might be the worst type of sports fan that has ever existed.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'm a Patriots and Red Sox fan

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Murderball posted:

I'm a Patriots and Red Sox fan

And you will pay for that in hell.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I just caught a car ad on TV offering 12k in incentives for some SUV if you finance through them. But what caught my eye was the tiny print saying the incentive amount was based on the MSRP of $77,000. Mother of god.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Elysium posted:

I just caught a car ad on TV offering 12k in incentives for some SUV if you finance through them. But what caught my eye was the tiny print saying the incentive amount was based on the MSRP of $77,000. Mother of god.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

I somehow just noticed that this is a present for a 14-year-old boy, and not a middle-aged woman.

I do not understand.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
One of the eyes is upside down. But not in a "sticker rotated 180*" way. Wtf?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Sundae posted:

What in the gently caress?

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 28, 2018

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

moana posted:

Interesting. In completely unrelated news, my father in law is no longer drinking regular water but super duper Kangen water, which is like regular water but without the acid(?) but you also set your wallet on fire while drinking it. It can also be used to put out wallet fires, probably better than that dumb lame regular water.

Ooh, I don't think I've told this story. My partner once met a guy at a dance party. Apparently he was attractive and they had good chemistry, so they exchanged numbers. A week or two later they went on a coffee date, but all he talked about was Kangen water. She was a little disappointed, but figured he just wasn't that into her and wrote it off.

Then about a month later, he invited her to a party. She was all "oh, maybe he is interested after all, let's see where this goes". The party was in some fancy penthouse downtown, but after a little while she realised that everyone she met wanted to talk about Kangen water. He'd brought her along to a hippie MLM "networking" event. She broke off contact after that.

Another friend of ours hooked up with this guy at a party once, and apparently he left his van parked unlocked on the street outside. This was not the best neighbourhood, and it was pretty miraculous that nothing got stolen. Apparently he was really good looking but not the sharpest tool in the shed.

But yeah, lots of hippies now have multi-thousand-dollar devices that basically just add baking soda to their tapwater. There are even shady MLM schemes selling them.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

I somehow just noticed that this is a present for a 14-year-old boy, and not a middle-aged woman.

I do not understand.

14 year old brother in law is also kinda :psyduck: unless you married at 18. Or maybe a half/step brother-in-law. But to each their own!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

howdoesishotweb posted:

14 year old brother in law is also kinda :psyduck: unless you married at 18. Or maybe a half/step brother-in-law. But to each their own!

Just wait until you meet my six year old sister-in-law. Did you know that some states don't care how old you are when you adopt? Did you know that some states let 63 yr olds adopt toddlers they're fostering?

I could BWM/BWL megapost my in-laws all loving week. My only worry would be accidentally posting something so stupid it'd be identifiable.

Edit:. I'm 36 and married at 29. I have a six year old sister-in-law. My oldest brother-in-law is also 36.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 28, 2018

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Ah ok. It’s ok dude, I don’t require genealogy in the BWM thread

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

howdoesishotweb posted:

Many areas people still get married young or come from families with 3-4 kids not stacked right on top of each other. My sister and brother are 8 years apart. If she had got married at 22 he would have been 14. It is not that strange. Even less so in a truly Catholic or Mormon family.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

howdoesishotweb posted:

Ah ok. It’s ok dude, I don’t require genealogy in the BWM thread

Just to be clear I'm not attacking you. It's hilarious to me-- that was all rhetorical tongue in cheek and I think it's a travesty that they were allowed to adopt five children going into their 60s.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Sundae posted:

Just wait until you meet my six year old sister-in-law. Did you know that some states don't care how old you are when you adopt? Did you know that some states let 63 yr olds adopt toddlers they're fostering?

I could BWM/BWL megapost my in-laws all loving week. My only worry would be accidentally posting something so stupid it'd be identifiable.

Edit:. I'm 36 and married at 29. I have a six year old sister-in-law. My oldest brother-in-law is also 36.

Eh foster care actually likes older parents because they know what to expect and they want to fill the empty nest issue older couples have. If its anything like my county they do tons of checks as they can to ensure that the family can handle it though.

Also I worked with one girl the same age as me so about 23 a few years ago, she was the 3rd of 12 children and mom still was pumping out kids so its all based on the family.

edit: to be blunt though that cat should be child endangerment holy drat :stare:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

Just to be clear I'm not attacking you. It's hilarious to me-- that was all rhetorical tongue in cheek and I think it's a travesty that they were allowed to adopt five children going into their 60s.

You posted this before and it was as quietly horrifying then as it is now.

My mom coddled and supported my dumbass younger brother for 38 years and now that she's gone he's starting to call me on the phone nightly and gently caress me is this a nightmare version of 'Are You My Mother?' I'm just waiting for him to test my 'I don't bail people out' rule.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

moana posted:

Interesting. In completely unrelated news, my father in law is no longer drinking regular water but super duper Kangen water, which is like regular water but without the acid(?) but you also set your wallet on fire while drinking it. It can also be used to put out wallet fires, probably better than that dumb lame regular water.

I used to process loan applications for these when I worked predatory lending. It's an MLM scheme. You pay thousands to add a tiny box to your sink's plumbing. It runs a current through the water to change the pH levels so that it's more alkaline, which is sold as being super healthy.

They sold for $3-$5,000. But no price is too high for good health and testing your body's homeostasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Many areas people still get married young or come from families with 3-4 kids not stacked right on top of each other. My sister and brother are 8 years apart. If she had got married at 22 he would have been 14. It is not that strange. Even less so in a truly Catholic or Mormon family.

Sometimes accidents happen too. A previous girlfriend had a sister 18 years younger than her with no siblings in between.