Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The entire dossier, just trinkling out drop by drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Another one of my coworkers (different one this time) posted one of those weird image gifs of mantras (only thing I can think of to identify it as) about "if you have this organ I'm gonna call you a male, "if you say or do this I'm going to identify as a female etc" and what I'm still trying to come to grips with is why is this transgender topic seems so pivotal to younger people in particular. Like what's prompting it and why this hill to die on, cause it's what it's starting to look like? Is it the newest big culture war debate on campuses or is it primarily a social media conflict engine thing? It just always seems to be this unprompted thing of "By the way this is how I'm gonna label that", but like nobody really hosed asked nor am I aware of who would care either. All I know is people like Joe Rogan and Ben Shapiro seem obsessed with the topic.

For me my stance has always been it's just absolutely none of my business. I know all of one person that I barely talk to or see anymore that is like a friend of a friend who apparently transitioned and was a male and I just figured it's as simple as if I ever bump into them at a party again or something I'll call them whatever name they wish to go by or whatever gender pronoun they prefer. I don't understand where there needs to be a battle here exactly or what I stand to gain or lose by not just doing it that way instead of making some big scene about it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just want to see people defend the pee tape once there’s outright evidence. I already know people will, but I just don’t think I can fully imagine it til it happens.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kale posted:

Another one of my coworkers (different one this time) posted one of those weird image gifs of mantras (only thing I can think of to identify it as) about "if you have this organ I'm gonna call you a male, "if you say or do this I'm going to identify as a female etc" and what I'm still trying to come to grips with is why is this transgender topic seems so pivotal to younger people in particular. Like what's prompting it and why this hill to die on, cause it's what it's starting to look like? Is it the newest big culture war debate on campuses or is it primarily a social media conflict engine thing? It just always seems to be this unprompted thing of "By the way this is how I'm gonna label that", but like nobody really hosed asked nor am I aware of who would care either. All I know is people like Joe Rogan and Ben Shapiro seem obsessed with the topic.

For me my stance has always been it's just absolutely none of my business. I know all of one person that I barely talk to or see anymore that is like a friend of a friend who apparently transitioned and was a male and I just figured it's as simple as if I ever bump into them at a party again or something I'll call them whatever name they wish to go by or whatever gender pronoun they prefer. I don't understand where there needs to be a battle here exactly or what I stand to gain or lose by not just doing it that way instead of making some big scene about it.

They've lost homophobia as a wedge issue and they need more fuel for their identity politics.

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

bobjr posted:

I just want to see people defend the pee tape once there’s outright evidence. I already know people will, but I just don’t think I can fully imagine it til it happens.

Well, once it’s out, it’s not something he could be blackmailed with. So that’s what you’re going to see: “who cares? It’s gross, but so what?”

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

selec posted:

Well, once it’s out, it’s not something he could be blackmailed with. So that’s what you’re going to see: “who cares? It’s gross, but so what?”

The Federalist articles practically write themselves.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Kale posted:

I think it pretty much comes down to "Older white person sees a transexual/homosexual/dark skinned person/fill in the blank and it's different and scary to them. Therefore the conclusion they come to is all of Western Civilization is crumbling. They must rant about it online, where they know other bigots will give them internet points and thus own the libs"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Kale posted:

There's a reason the LGBTQ community has taken an "we're here, we're queer, get used to it" in-your-face campaign of very public acceptance. Saying "it's none of my business" or "do whatever you want as long as I don't have to see it" results in taciturn toleration of hate crimes and, of course, the entire AIDS epidemic was a result of willful neglect.

It is your business, because public exposure and acceptance is the way things change, laws pass, people get shamed/inspired into action, etc. Being quiet just means the status quo, which is literally death and disease in this case.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Because it's easy to be "okay" on lesbian and gay issues even if you have lovely opinions or unexamined privilege, but a lot easier to gently caress up and get called out for mislabeling someone and the like.

Young people aren't (usually) going around dropping f****t casually, but if a co-worker transitions they're more likely to use the wrong gender, get called out for it, get defense, refuse to be empathetic, and so on. Especially as people are being more public and open about transitioning.

Edit: in terms of why younger people are lovely about compared to gay issues, specifically.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

bobjr posted:

I am sorry but with his high blood pressure and poor diet of burgers and coke, his stream should be more yellow.
Therefore FAKE

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So apparently, even Trump's base is getting tired of the same hits being played by Trump and Fox news, especially since the mid-term losses.

https://www.apnews.com/be207fad1cc243bdb645cd71623395b5

MSNBC tops Fox News as most watched cable news channel for the first time since 2000.

MAGA chuds want new material and arn't getting it.

Makes sense. He isn’t delivering poo poo to them and racist bullshit only takes you so far. Black lung is back and the opioid crisis and joblessness is still growing in chud communities.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

happyhippy posted:

I am sorry but with his high blood pressure and poor diet of burgers and coke, his stream should be more yellow.
Therefore FAKE

From what I recall, it's not him doing the pissing, right? Just a couple of Russian hookers peeing on a hotel bed the Obamas slept in like a year before, because his brainworms told him that'd be an own somehow

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

happyhippy posted:

Therefore FAKE

Just FYI, the alleged :pisstape: doesn't involve his stream

E:b

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1078373893822431233 Baby is mad again.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Yes...? That's how deals work? You lose leverage then the deal changes?

This is just so bizarre to me, even compared to the lonely Christmas tweets.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Trans people are more visible nowadays, and the same forces that sought to keep them quiet in the past for so long now seek to drag them back, with even more panic than before, as if it was a Pandora's box which can be shoved closed with enough hate applied as a force.

They want to shove trans folks back in the closet, and are attempting to do that by being openly, aggressively unwelcoming and dogmatic

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tibalt posted:

Yes...? That's how deals work? You lose leverage then the deal changes?

This is just so bizarre to me, even compared to the lonely Christmas tweets.

His brain is hosed up from the privilege and narcissistic personality. The normal concepts of deals don’t exist for him, it’s either total domination or losing.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Tweet's gone, what was pissbaby pissing about?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

raverrn posted:

He didn't get the wall he wanted for Christmas

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Goddammit guys, screenshots, SCREENSHOTS

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

raverrn posted:

I should have taken the Wall for DACA deal!
- Donald Trump

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Wasn't there a court order that said he couldn't delete his tweets or was that the result of a fever dream I had?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I love you press secretary bot.

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1078376510145421314

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

raverrn posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1078376171845361665

He fixed a typo.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

raverrn posted:

Paraphrase "the Democrat offered the wall for DACA protection, but then the 9th circuit ruled against me, so the Democrats took back the deal. Democrats are obstructing the much needed wall!"

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Hes trying so hard to get the dems to take the blame for the shutdown.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

How long until the dems are officially seated in the House? I'm assuming that's when the shutdown will end.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

How long until the dems are officially seated in the House? I'm assuming that's when the shutdown will end.
January 2nd, but the House isn't the problem. McConnell has stated that he won't bring any CR bill to the floor that won't get 60 votes AND the president's signature. Even if they pass the clean CR in the house, it'll still need to go though the Senate and have the president's approval.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

It will end once the new house is in place so he can pretend like it wasn't a republican controlled house or Senate that hosed him over.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

A newly seated house could pass the CR that already passed the senate. But a particularly obstinate president could choose not to sign it.

Edit:

Tibalt posted:

January 2nd, but the House isn't the problem. McConnell has stated that he won't bring any CR bill to the floor that won't get 60 votes AND the president's signature. Even if they pass the clean CR in the house, it'll still need to go though the Senate and have the president's approval.

Didn't it already pass the senate?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Why would that end it?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The normal concepts of deals don’t exist for him, it’s either total domination or losing.

Exactly. He's a moronic narcissist con man, so he sees everything in terms of either ripping people off, or being ripped off himself. He hates all existing deals the other side likes (or just don't want burned down out of nowhere without a plan B ready) for this exact reason. He's only happy with a deal that the other side is trying to weasel out of because they're being screwed by it.

It's also why every once in a while he does something that at least in theory isn't terrible, like going "Let's gently caress off out of Syria!" out of nowhere - some representative of another country probably told him he shouldn't do it, which made him think he SHOULD do it, because anything the other side likes is by definition exactly the same as stealing from him, because he wants to steal from everyone else.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

No Butt Stuff posted:

Why would that end it?

It might not, but it would force him to veto a non-wall deal instead of the current situation. Would be an even worse look than the current situation. And he's historically folded and signed when handed bills he said he would veto. He almost did this time until he threw a last minute fit.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The labeling thing with younger people could very well be effected by how many people use dating apps (particularly unsuccessfully) and they see people using all these terms in profiles, but never interact with them, because they are on the hunt for their gorgegous blond bombshell who will also give it up for them at the drop of that super suave “hey” chat message.

That and hatefulness.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

fishing with the fam posted:

A newly seated house could pass the CR that already passed the senate. But a particularly obstinate president could choose not to sign it.

Edit:

New senate, that CR dies.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

fishing with the fam posted:

It did, but everything resets with the new congress coming in. The house amended the senate bill and the senate never passed the new version.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

bobjr posted:

They'll defend it, but I can't imagine they'll go much further than saying it was years ago, long before any of Trump's political ambitions, etc.

It makes it harder to try and discredit the Steele dossier, since up until now the only stuff not proven outright or otherwise corroborated has been the more salacious bits. Maybe concrete proof that there was ever potential blackmail helps any potential case for removal, but I'm sure there's plenty of people in govt that don't want that kind of precedent when their own stuff comes out.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I support the idea of the Rapture.

A few days left on this planet without self-righteous assholes seems a good trade for the inevitable lake of fire.

They'll still be there, with the lake of fire.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

New senate, that CR dies.

Eltoasto posted:

It did, but everything resets with the new congress coming in. The house amended the senate bill and the senate never passed the new version.

Ahh, gotcha. Thanks. I didn't realize the CR had an expiration date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Tibalt posted:

Because it's easy to be "okay" on lesbian and gay issues even if you have lovely opinions or unexamined privilege, but a lot easier to gently caress up and get called out for mislabeling someone and the like.

Young people aren't (usually) going around dropping f****t casually, but if a co-worker transitions they're more likely to use the wrong gender, get called out for it, get defense, refuse to be empathetic, and so on. Especially as people are being more public and open about transitioning.

Edit: in terms of why younger people are lovely about compared to gay issues, specifically.

The solution to that strikes me as simple as well. "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, I'll refer to you in this way you prefer from now on when addressing you." or something along those lines Like I said the part that gets me is why there needs to be some battle here.....if you can call it one since it seems more like people just shouting platitudes into a void hoping to get some likes or whatever the platform utilizes. I also lose absolutely nothing at all in this scenario at least from my perspective and generally avoid a huge conflict where again I don't think there needs to be one at all. It really does remind me of gamergate though, like this huge stink being made by one camp in particular and yet I'm not seeing at all what's supposed to be prompting it.

I think the whole moving on from homophobia as a wedge issue thing seems the most plausible answer given, but then why does it always seem to be younger college aged people that are obsessed with it I wonder? It's never older people with this one that I see, typically the 50+ social media crowd gets on about race and immigration as opposed to gender identification. The only thing again I've noticed is that Joe Rogan and Ben Shapiro are often on about it (they recently seem to have done a joint podcast about the topic) and I guess maybe like Trump they listen to his podcasts and then start bleating about it like Trump goes on about Fox and Friends segments, and are responding to something only they can see or hear on their social media platform of choice without establishing any context.

Something something something court decision that didn't go my way, bad decisions, bad judge, something something democrats something bad stuff, *divisive rhetoric comment here* , me me me blahblahblah WINNING - Every Trump Tweet in 2018

I just can't be bothered to care anymore about anything that Trump tweets unless he's firing somebody, changing a policy, or actually for once talking about something new and somebody else besides him cares about which is exceedingly rare. It seems to happen like once every few months but otherwise same loving poo poo, different day and nothing of substance worth analyzing the contents of.