Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

RoyalScion posted:

Thankfully there aren't too many tunnel missions, I think there's around 10 at most.

Yeah this is probably one of my favorite changes, they pared down the tunnel missions A TON. They kept a lot of the more memorable ones like the ambush in a crossway, and didn't bring back my least favorite mission, the underground queen ant hunt.

It was a fine and dandy world building thing, but it was WAY too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I do not understand weapon levels and Stars. Like, some weapons are Level 5, then are 2- stars, and some stars are filled in and what

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Seedge posted:

I do not understand weapon levels and Stars. Like, some weapons are Level 5, then are 2- stars, and some stars are filled in and what
This guy explains the system at the starting-point I marked in his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mmLnbrIsw8&t=136s

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Seedge posted:

Basically each stat on a weapon can be upgraded when you find duplicates of that weapon. The higher the star level, the higher the stat. Once the star is filled in, that stat has reached its maximum level for that weapon.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I tried using Air Raider Assault Beetles as a primary weapon in one mission just to try it out, and that sure was a mission where my partner had to carry me until I finally got my vehicle out.

It was the frog-stealth mission at night in the refinery.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm at mission 46 on hard, am I ever gonna get a better weapon then the split ball and spark whip? Everything is just so hilariously costly in the energy department that I need to decide if I should use weaker weapons that'll let me actually fly around or use stronger weapons but basically sit on the floor. And even then, I'll be able to shoot like twice before going into emergency charge mode.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Leal posted:

I'm at mission 46 on hard, am I ever gonna get a better weapon then the split ball and spark whip? Everything is just so hilariously costly in the energy department that I need to decide if I should use weaker weapons that'll let me actually fly around or use stronger weapons but basically sit on the floor. And even then, I'll be able to shoot like twice before going into emergency charge mode.

I like the phalanx line for a lot of situations. Energy cost isn’t that bad and you shred anything close in front of you

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I used the stardust cannon and the dragoon lance for most of hard, occasionally swapping to the lightning bow/bolt/shooter/monster for long range sniping, and once in awhile the phalanx to switch things up.

I also used the Ryujin for the mission where you have to fight 100000000000 Deroys for kicks.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Leal posted:

Man what the gently caress mission 39?

This was the first mission where I tried using my new Lysander. It worked wonders! I also used the free bike because gently caress walking.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
As a Fencer, I brought the wrong gun on an early Colonist mission and got promptly wiped out.

As I defiantly fired off my last shots and heard the failure music, I looked to the distant Colonist who gave the killing blow, I saw him jump up and shout in apparent glee at my collapse.

Try to name a better game series than EDF? You can't.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nnnotime posted:

As a Fencer, I brought the wrong gun on an early Colonist mission and got promptly wiped out.

As I defiantly fired off my last shots and heard the failure music, I looked to the distant Colonist who gave the killing blow, I saw him jump up and shout in apparent glee at my collapse.

Try to name a better game series than EDF? You can't.

There is an enemy similar to the colonists and they fist pump when they kill things.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Every game needs gloating mooks.

The level 55 Plasma Great Cannon seems as good as it was in the jp version. That's all your Wing Diver sniping right there.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

bewilderment posted:

I tried using Air Raider Assault Beetles as a primary weapon in one mission just to try it out, and that sure was a mission where my partner had to carry me until I finally got my vehicle out.

It was the frog-stealth mission at night in the refinery.
If you weren't already convinced they're useless, there is literally a toy version. It has NO attack power. Zero. None. Nada. Not even a 1 point joke. :confused:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Tellaris posted:

Yeah this is probably one of my favorite changes, they pared down the tunnel missions A TON. They kept a lot of the more memorable ones like the ambush in a crossway, and didn't bring back my least favorite mission, the underground queen ant hunt.

It was a fine and dandy world building thing, but it was WAY too long.

The maps seem more complicated too, in the underground one where there's teleporters I kept falling off ledges and getting lost then swarmed. (Until I decided to just stay back and lysander it)

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
This is so good. I thought about the series the other day and saw the new one was out and its better than ever.

The weapon upgrade system is great, anything that gives an excuse to rotate weapons a bit more is a good idea. picked up this fencer missile called 'blood storm', very powerful but completely useless when i first got it due to a 3 second lock on time. a few missions later I get an upgrade that make it lock on in .18 seconds.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Holy poo poo

When you're on the class/equipment screen you can press triangle to choose between civilian and soldier outfits

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Is it better to play Earth Defense Force 4 with mouse and keyboard or a controller?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

Holy poo poo

When you're on the class/equipment screen you can press triangle to choose between civilian and soldier outfits

Only once you've completed the game, but yeah.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Is it better to play Earth Defense Force 4 with mouse and keyboard or a controller?
Mouse and keyboard is obviously the best but a controller is fine if you prefer to play that way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
controllers are better for fencer dash boosting.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Mission 61

Oh god they got some vertical leaps

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Leal posted:

Mission 61

I think you mean 62.

Hide in a parking garage and be 100% safe!

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
"You've gained weight that's why you can't fly as fast." -one wing diver npc to another

"I've seen animes where bipedal aliens tried to wipe out humans but I never expected to see it in real life!"

How is the dialogue in this game so good?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm AFK farming mission 40. How do I know when I hit the item cap?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
"Each EMC cost 100 million dollars to build. And they're useless?"

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
I bought 4.1 for PC a few days ago, it reminds me of playing games on my Saturn years ago. It's awesome :D

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Every time I tag a frog with Autocannon B and see it get shredded immediately, it is a wonderful thing.

I'm only up to mission 27ish on hard though, so I don't know if this will change.

Also I feel like I should take Spritefall any time I'm outdoors, nothing else comes close in terms of usefulness and these bombing runs I take sometimes are just for variety instead of effectiveness.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Every time I tag a frog with Autocannon B and see it get shredded immediately, it is a wonderful thing.

I'm only up to mission 27ish on hard though, so I don't know if this will change.

Also I feel like I should take Spritefall any time I'm outdoors, nothing else comes close in terms of usefulness and these bombing runs I take sometimes are just for variety instead of effectiveness.

Get this:

Autocannon

C

:getin:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

bewilderment posted:

I got Spritefall B and was excited when I found out it did 2x the damage of the still useful Spritefall A. Then I upgraded it and it added an additional 50% damage. And yes Autocannon C is very good.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 28, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Goons, will I ever get to relive this moment in EDF 5?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Leal posted:

Goons, will I ever get to relive this moment in EDF 5?

You know in your heart the answer EDF will provide.

"What if we added more explosions this time?"

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
While I prefer Belam's design, the new one's combos are much better.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Game is so much better when you actually get a decent team composition online. So far it seems like the best team setup is two people alternating through the song, one guy doing exercise gestures, and the last guy shouting every variation of EDF

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
turns out when you equip an inventory of nothing but spritefalls, the game is even cooler and greater than ever before

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gabby_Jay posted:

While I prefer Belam's design, the new one's combos are much better.

My go to move is the table flip

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I immediately thought of this when I saw the new monsters in Mission 64.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCtU7ZrGoUU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

DeNofa posted:

My go to move is the table flip

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡
Just remember, you don't actually walk anywhere. Stomp every single inch and crush your enemies beneath your heel. Er. Footcups. :black101:

We'll probably have to wait until EDF 8.0 for them to have decent helicopters though. :(

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, one of the grunts asked me if I was a ketchup or soy sauce man. Those crazy sons of bitches did it again and blew my expectations away.

The little things this game does that elevate the experience are great. Spraying into a mass of bugs and seeing actual chunks of the bugs and sprays of goop go flying is the little detail I never knew I wanted in EDF.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Best thing about the Barga is that you can totally kill yourself while it's in the middle of stomping when you exit to pick up boxes. I hate that they ruined the Monster series so you're pretty much stuck using plasma launchers for long range.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Marogareh posted:

Best thing about the Barga is that you can totally kill yourself while it's in the middle of stomping when you exit to pick up boxes. I hate that they ruined the Monster series so you're pretty much stuck using plasma launchers for long range.

The Bolt Shooter line is something I found to be extremely servicable against frogs.