Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have 3/4 of a spindle of blank costco dvd-rs that I will never, ever use.

Even older media chat: I went from an Amiga 500 to a 486dx way back in the day and found all my amiga 3.5” DD floppies could be turned into HD floppies by drilling a hole on the side opposite the write protect tab :haw:

I had tons of Amiga disks because :filez:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Laslow posted:

A 4790 will be faster in newer stuff that requires more than 4 threads. At 4GHz, it'll probably be on par with old Sandy's performance at 4.4, since Devil's Canyon has about 10% more IPC.

If you can find a Q, H, or C series for under fifty bucks, go for it. You don't need a Z series since it's got a locked multi, and you can use the same RAM. So fifty bucks would be all you'd pay and that's that.

You can get some C series workstation boards for next to nothing if you can splice your own ATX and CPU HSF wire adapters, since they'd use weird proprietary Dell/Lenovo/HP plugs, because those companies are dicks like that.

It's currently in a HP SFF, but it's not just the PSU pinouts, they're also BTX, so everything's in the wrong place for an ATX case. I feel like it'd boot along nicely with my 980 and the 16gb of ram outta my sandy, but yeah need an ATX board. I'll see if anyone has one.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

craig588 posted:

From an overclocked 2500K to a 4790 will probably end up slower. Even if you get a motherboard that supports ignoring turbo limits that's only 4 GHz, unlikely to be faster than a 4.4 GHz 2500.

No way, more cache + ht - I'd rather have the 4790 @ 4GHz. Whether it's worth buying a board for is another question

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

HalloKitty posted:

No way, more cache + ht - I'd rather have the 4790 @ 4GHz. Whether it's worth buying a board for is another question

Aliexpress have ASUS h97s for $80 US.

It's a tough call.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-48DY8...61PI:rk:20:pf:0

Get one of these for thirty bucks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Inch-24...0MB7:rk:10:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pin-to-4P...b4f90:rk:1:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optip...kcPj:rk:30:pf:0

And then these adapters for 15 total.

It has ATX holes for mounting in a case. And you may need to gently caress around with jury rigging the power button to look okay, but for $45, who cares?

e: I just want to go ahead and admit I did exactly this when my Z97 board died a few months ago, and it works flawlessly, apart from the FRONT I/O PANEL MISSING message on bootup. gently caress paying those used market prices on Z and H series boards, I refused to pay more than fifty bucks for a dead platform and you shouldn't either. My CPU has a locked multi anyway, gently caress it.

Laslow fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 21, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Guess they didn't sell those in Australia

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

Guess they didn't sell those in Australia
:(

drat, prices down there are depressing.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

As are the encryption "laws" :commissar:+:australia:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the Laws of Encryption are as follows:

1. Do it good
2. gently caress the Police

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Other than the $150 1TB NVME SSDs which I don't really need, this year has been a complete snoozefest as far as I'm concerned.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

god help me, i have lost my way

Delidded 9900k running bare die/liquid metal under a waterblock

Doing a 24 hr leak test/Mayhem's part 2 but a quick test I did with just regular thermal paste and low moutning pressure showed just under 70C load at 5 GHz in Prime (non-AVX).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Awesome pics. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' cold, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The only problem I see is that nothing there looks nearly janky enough to be properly risky. Please show us a zoomed out shot with the rubber bands that are the only thing you use to hold the water block down.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

K8.0 posted:

The only problem I see is that nothing there looks nearly janky enough to be properly risky. Please show us a zoomed out shot with the rubber bands that are the only thing you use to hold the water block down.

Would it help to know the waterblock is held down by a 5 year old EK "Naked Ivy" kit with nylon spacers I just sort of eyeballed to make up the difference in z-height?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

forbidden dialectics posted:

Would it help to know the waterblock is held down by a 5 year old EK "Naked Ivy" kit with nylon spacers I just sort of eyeballed to make up the difference in z-height?

:fap:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Didn’t der8auer make some shims to go on top of the die and even out the contact area? Seems like that would be easier than guessing with washers

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

rage-saq posted:

Didn’t der8auer make some shims to go on top of the die and even out the contact area? Seems like that would be easier than guessing with washers

Yes - very recently. If this works out I'll probably order one.

All said, I'm not really guessing, I measured with calipers. The were from Harbor Frieght, though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

👌

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

that rocks

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Well fortunately it looks like I have a golden chip:

This is running Prime95 8k smallFFT. This is just messing with Gigabyte's Windows-based OC tool (Easytune). All I changed was core multiplier and LLC. I did manage to run it at 5.3 with LLC set to "Turbo" but this was pushing Vcore to 1.4V which is a bit high for my tastes (this is where the temps in the 90s in the maximum column comes from). I have a lot more fine tuning to do but I'm pretty thrilled so far.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I did this with the same kit but I ended up having memory channel issues from a lack of mounting pressure after a while. I'd recommend the shim just do the cooler can press more evenly onto the CPU into the socket so all the pins connect fine. I ended up with a funny die shaped rectangle on my EK Supremacy as the liquid metal stained/seeped into the bare copper (nickel is good poo poo but I got it on sale for just the copper model).

Also I got a silicon lottery golden 9900k but I braindead clicked delid without thinking about the monoblock on my Z390 Aorus Xtreme Waterforce. I know they reseal it but it's surely not the same height. Anyone got any hot tips on what to do in this circumstance? I know that a bunch of Conductonaut between the IHS and the block would fix the issue but I'd need a fair bit and it might run. The real answer is "buy a stock Chip idiot" I guess

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
You mention shims earlier in the same post, why wouldn't that be an option? (honest question, I'm not familiar with the board)

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 26, 2018

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

You mention shims earlier in the same post, why wouldn't that be an option? (honest question, I'm not familiar with the board)

The monoblock is unlike regular heatsinks in that it is a fixed height from the CPU socket as it covers half the board and is solid. Delidding changes the z-height of the CPU which means the gap between the IHS and monoblock will be very large relatively, harming performance. It's net worse than not delidding. Silicon lottery reseal the lids with similar glue but it's pretty much always lower.

I could fill the gap with Conductonaut and it would be functionally identical to having a taller heat spreader, but Conductonaut is scary poo poo to have not under the IHS.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Alright, a lot of testing my 9900k over the holiday. Came to two stable scenarios. Which would you choose:

5.2 GHz all cores, 1.33V with droop under load to around 1.29V, maxes out around 75C under the most intense workloads.

or

5.3 GHz all cores, 1.425V with droop to around 1.38, maxes out around 92C under the most intense workloads?

That's a lot of extra voltage for....100Mhz, which seems pretty silly, and I'm probably whining about a .1-percentile chip anyways. But then again, this whole business is intensely silly.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Alright, a lot of testing my 9900k over the holiday. Came to two stable scenarios. Which would you choose:

5.2 GHz all cores, 1.33V with droop under load to around 1.29V, maxes out around 75C under the most intense workloads.

or

5.3 GHz all cores, 1.425V with droop to around 1.38, maxes out around 92C under the most intense workloads?

That's a lot of extra voltage for....100Mhz, which seems pretty silly, and I'm probably whining about a .1-percentile chip anyways. But then again, this whole business is intensely silly.

Yeah...that 5.3Ghz is not worth it.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The lower power is more worth it to me. I have a 5820K that I can run at 4.3 GHz and stay under 70C, it can do all the way up to 4.7 GHz, but touches 90C and I'm not CPU limited yet in the apps I run. If you really need 5.3 GHz there's not much you can do, but for most apps you'll never notice the difference between 5.2 GHz and 5.3GHz. Don't run benchmarks, I have no idea how my PC performs. It only leads to buying more hardware you probably don't need.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

or

Set the lower power in your motherboard, use it regularly, and then use OC software for the higher power when you need the extra boost. If you ever do.

That's how I've managed my 3770k and I can still throw >1.4v at it 7 years later. Most of the time I don't need to, but there is an fps game or two I play where I do.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Khorne posted:

Set the lower power in your motherboard, use it regularly, and then use OC software for the higher power when you need the extra boost. If you ever do.

That's how I've managed my 3770k and I can still throw >1.4v at it 7 years later. Most of the time I don't need to, but there is an fps game or two I play where I do.

Weirdly enough after all the testing to find the right Vcore setting (using the motherboard's IR35201 VR_OUT sensor, which according to Buildzoid is the only accurate software voltage reading) - I set my motherboard back to "Normal" to try and get adaptive voltage back. After loving around with DVID with zero success I finally just said gently caress it and adjusted the LLC levels. Turns out, the motherboard basically handles the voltage exactly like I want by setting voltage to "Normal" (basically Auto) and LLC to "Standard", with everything else on Auto. Basically could have just done that right out of the box and been done with it. I'm impressed that actually works; seems like the days of having to manually mess with voltages are over, as are the days of "auto OC" settings sending 1.7V through your chip.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like Intel is going to release SKUs of the Coffee Lake R range with disabled IGPs. Interesting.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13750/intel-core-i9-9900kf-i7-9700kf-i5-9600kf-i5-9400f-cpus-listed

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Meanwhile I’m trying to undervolt my 9900K to run it as cool as possible. From what I can tell Gigabyte is notorious for overvolting out of the box, and at stock (4.7 GHz) my Gigabyte board was supplying ~1.25 V to the CPU at load. After tweaking I’m able to run closer to 1.16 V under load with dynamic voltage (or 1.15 if I stick to static), with load gaming temps in the mid 60s and stress testing AVX workloads in the mid to high 70s.

I’m using an NH-D15 for cooling, so I accept that I may get better results if I went with a 280 or 360mm AIO, but trying to hit 5.0 GHz (with no AVX offset) resulted in temps in the low 90s, which I’m not really comfortable with for 24/7 use.

For my use, 8C/16T at 4.7 GHz isn’t holding me back at all so I don’t see the need for the extra heat and electricity.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Yea I’m running my 9900k stuck but at 1.168V, really helps with power consumption and temps.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Cygni posted:

Looks like Intel is going to release SKUs of the Coffee Lake R range with disabled IGPs. Interesting.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13750/intel-core-i9-9900kf-i7-9700kf-i5-9600kf-i5-9400f-cpus-listed

Is this expected to be cheaper than the version with iGPUs?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lackmaster posted:

Is this expected to be cheaper than the version with iGPUs?

Been a while since they released versions of the top SKUs without IGPs to the general channel, but knowing intel, they will probably charge more off the possibility of barely better overclocking tbh.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The time they did this in the past with Sandybridge the iGPU free chips had a 100MHz clockspeed advantage due to the additional thermal headroom.

I think it's likely a response to the temperature issues facing Coffelake-R, it removes a part of the power draw and it also adds cold silicon that helps with heat transfer/soak.

Losing quicksync and potentially thunderbolt (bogodollars motherboards only) is something to seriously consider.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Does disabling the iGPU in BIOS not give the same thermal headroom?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Lube banjo posted:

Does disabling the iGPU in BIOS not give the same thermal headroom?

You still have power routing through it so no.

ColTim
Oct 29, 2011
I wonder if the lack of iGPU allows Intel to cut down the die size, given the 14nm supply issues.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It's likely lasered off rather than a new tapeout.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I thought they could power gate off unused bits of silicon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
IIRC iGPUs still draw a little bit of power when turned off. Lasering the entire connection away leaves a high impedance gap where it used to be, which makes it much harder for the integrated circuit to do that