Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Now bring us a sliggy pudding...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Jingle without rhythm

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Worst possible Dune soundtrack, go.

Comedy option: The Transformers: The Movie soundtrack.

Comedy option because The Transformers: The Movie soundtrack kicks rear end

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

The Bloop posted:

:agreed:

You got the touch!!!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Casting Choice:
Cedric the Entertainer as Edric the Navigator

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
A Disco/Funk soundtrack would be best

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Just bring Sting back as Feyd-Rautha. Intro song is Forever Young.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
*As the sand worm breeches and crashes into the dune sea the beat drops for Da Rude's Sandstorm*

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

dunestep

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Shameless plug for a very old breakbeat project of mine.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nessus posted:

Long live the posters

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Just bring Sting back as Feyd-Rautha. Intro song is Forever Young.

If sting isn't the genetic eunuch count fenring they wasted an opportunity

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

The Bloop posted:

:same:

I do think that “Pure Funk” would be a bit out of place though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Party Like it's 9999

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Bloop posted:

Basically, yeah.

The Touch while riding the worm.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
One thing I never quite understood is what the Bene Gesserit were actually trying to accomplish. Like, yes, I get that the Kwisatz Hederach was their ultimate goal, but why? To what end? If they wanted temporal power, that would be pretty easy for them to have considering all their powers and the fact they already were basically the de facto kingmakers given their influence over men and stuff like the Voice. If they wanted to, they could easily install a puppet on the throne. The only faction in the galaxy that could possibly check their power would be the Guild, that's basically it.

So, like, what was their goal then? They create the KH and then he does... what, exactly? The BG don't strike me as the fascist power-fetishists of 1984, so presumably power for them is still a means and not an ends in and of itself. So what is their ends that requires something as powerful as the KH?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

One thing I never quite understood is what the Bene Gesserit were actually trying to accomplish. Like, yes, I get that the Kwisatz Hederach was their ultimate goal, but why? To what end? If they wanted temporal power, that would be pretty easy for them to have considering all their powers and the fact they already were basically the de facto kingmakers given their influence over men and stuff like the Voice. If they wanted to, they could easily install a puppet on the throne. The only faction in the galaxy that could possibly check their power would be the Guild, that's basically it.

So, like, what was their goal then? They create the KH and then he does... what, exactly? The BG don't strike me as the fascist power-fetishists of 1984, so presumably power for them is still a means and not an ends in and of itself. So what is their ends that requires something as powerful as the KH?

IIRC it's because there is a part of themselves that they cannot see into, and the KH is meant to see into that blocked void.

So for :science: science! :science:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I think the idea was that having the KH would let them crack open the male-genetic-line Other Memories and basically achieve the actual factual permanent philosopher-king, either because he would be physically immortal or because he would create a line of philosopher-kings-and-queens who could justly rule humanity. The Bene Gesserit could rule through puppets and so forth for a time, but the KH could make it last forever.

Leto II's whole thing was 'nah that's wrong but let me give you a taste of what you wanted, you'll hate it.'

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Nessus posted:

Leto II's whole thing was 'nah that's wrong but let me give you a taste of what you wanted, you'll hate it.'

Lol that's a great take on it. Leto II, you crazy fucker. :allears:

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

One thing I never quite understood is what the Bene Gesserit were actually trying to accomplish.

The later books, especially Chapterhouse Dune, go into detail about this.
Because they've got racial memories they can see all the atrocities that their ancestors committed, and feel the guilt of having committed them.
It's all in aid of improving humanity to the point where no such atrocities are committed again.
Having the Kwisatz Haderach on the Imperial Throne of all humanity would give them enough power to do that.

Leto IIb saw that this contained humanity would go extinct so oppressed humanity to induce the scattering.

After Leto IIb's death the Bene Gesserit learned the details of the Golden Path, so their modified goals are:
  • The continuation of Humanity.
  • The continuation of the Bene Gesserit.
  • The maturation of Humanity that its atrocious past can never happen again.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Edison was a dick posted:

The later books, especially Chapterhouse Dune, go into detail about this.
Because they've got racial memories they can see all the atrocities that their ancestors committed, and feel the guilt of having committed them.
It's all in aid of improving humanity to the point where no such atrocities are committed again.
Having the Kwisatz Haderach on the Imperial Throne of all humanity would give them enough power to do that.

Leto IIb saw that this contained humanity would go extinct so oppressed humanity to induce the scattering.

After Leto IIb's death the Bene Gesserit learned the details of the Golden Path, so their modified goals are:
  • The continuation of Humanity.
  • The continuation of the Bene Gesserit.
  • The maturation of Humanity that its atrocious past can never happen again.
I am not sure guilt is the right word. Desire not to repeat mistakes, maybe.

Pre-tyrant BG are not well explained but I see a lot of
  1. Breed Kwizach Haderach
  2. ????
  3. Profit!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

2. change dat water

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Both Paul and Leto call the BG out on this, multiple times. Leto with Chenoah and Anteac, Paul with Irulan and even RM Mohiam, when he was being tested. ("You take a lot on yourselves").

As an aside, that exchange is one of my favorites in all fiction. This is how you exposite, writers! Yes, I am talking to you two hacks!

Edit: Even Scytale calls them out on it. What did you think was gonna happen?

exmachina fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 27, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Touch while riding the worm.

Dare to be Stupid during the Gom Jabbar pain box scene

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

exmachina posted:

I am not sure guilt is the right word. Desire not to repeat mistakes, maybe.

Pre-tyrant BG are not well explained but I see a lot of
  1. Breed Kwizach Haderach
  2. ????
  3. Profit!

The entire point of the Butlerian Jihad was make people better, don't rely on machines to do it for them. BG is one logical conclusion of that line of thought. "If we make a KH we don't know what will happen, but it is sure to be good because we are tapping all of human potential!"

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
The holy grail of the bene gesserit

"Grow up humans!"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BG have to exist and thrive in order to influence the Honored Matres to develop super secret pussy muscle techniques

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Hey, just wanted to say I dug this! I also make electronic music and sample the gently caress out of D U N E.

My shameless plug:
https://khate.bandcamp.com/track/the-mystery-of-mysteries-2

Also one of my favorite old school techno tracks ever is EON's "Fear is the Mindkiller". I've got the 12" single for it and while the album version is great, one of the remixes is banging. Check it out if you haven't already.

In other news, I finally watched Blade Runner 2049 for the first time, and hot drat, am I stoked for the new Dune if this guy's on board (and The Author Who Shall Not Be Named keeps his grubby mitts off it). Absolutely gorgeous to watch, loved the score, and little weird details like the beehives in Vegas just reeked of a good Dune vibe in capable hands. Fingers crossed.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Found this while looking for something else.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Hey, just wanted to say I dug this! I also make electronic music and sample the gently caress out of D U N E.

My shameless plug:
https://khate.bandcamp.com/track/the-mystery-of-mysteries-2

Also one of my favorite old school techno tracks ever is EON's "Fear is the Mindkiller". I've got the 12" single for it and while the album version is great, one of the remixes is banging. Check it out if you haven't already.

In other news, I finally watched Blade Runner 2049 for the first time, and hot drat, am I stoked for the new Dune if this guy's on board (and The Author Who Shall Not Be Named keeps his grubby mitts off it). Absolutely gorgeous to watch, loved the score, and little weird details like the beehives in Vegas just reeked of a good Dune vibe in capable hands. Fingers crossed.

Thanks! That means a lot. :) I really dig your sound too, love the creepy ambient vibe and especially all the mechanical sounds.

Lynch's Dune might be one of the most sampled films ever in electronic music. Especially the 'fear is the mind killer' bit.

I feel the same way about Villeneuve's work giving high hopes for the remake. You're bang on, all I could think while watching Blade Runner 2049 was how good the new Dune is going to look - for me it was a lot of the shots of the villain's headquarters, with really warm lighting illuminating wood grains and lots of reflections of ripples in water. And yeah, the score had me gurning - the weird formant throat singing drones, all the clever nods to Vangelis, and that end credit piece had growls in it that would put Noisia to shame. If you haven't seen Arrival, check that out too. Some very divine-looking shots in that one, and the score is also excellent in giving that vibe. Zimmer or Johannsson would both be excellent choices for the new film's score.

Even though it's not really part of the book, I hope Villeneuve decides to keep in the idea from the Lynch film of weaponized sound as a key component of the Weirding Way. Something about giant sandworms emerging from the dunes with enormous line arrays mounted to them emitting SPL that literally vaporizes armies of Saudarkar just really tickles my fancy. Or maybe I've just listened to this song too many times.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 27, 2018

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

quote:

‘this devotion to detail and the evidence of immense literary care tend less to exalt the spirit than to depress it. What a waste, really. All this skill expended on mere fantasy’

wow thats funny, i felt the same way about 1985, owned binch

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Didn't Grimes do a whole album of Dune-themed music? *checks* Ah, yep.

Also, can't forget the classic Fatboy Slim track, Weapon of Choice.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

she has an ep called geidi primes but idk if it's actually dune themed beyond the name, i don't really like most of her music? seems like she has a handful of good songs and a lot of stuff i cant stand letting play so i haven't listened, but who knows maybe, and cool if so

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

basic hitler posted:

she has an ep called geidi primes but idk if it's actually dune themed beyond the name, i don't really like most of her music? seems like she has a handful of good songs and a lot of stuff i cant stand letting play so i haven't listened, but who knows maybe, and cool if so

I blow hot and cold on her, but Art Angels is pretty much good pop the whole way thru, if that's your thing (it is mine, but I will admit to having a higher tolerance for pop than most people I know).

Geidi Primes definitely appears to be wall-to-wall Dune references. https://www.discogs.com/Grimes-Geidi-Primes/master/370255

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Her first album was Geidi Primes, music she made while reading Dune. It's rough but clever and overall a great little artist statement. Halfaxa was more obscure and ambient and I think was also self-released. Visions loving owns and was released on 4AD, which also rereleased her first two. After that she moved to Cali, started doing more crossover content, and her music now is a mishmash of urban cliches. I think she's switched lables. To her credit she retains all creative control of her work and does all her own cover art which is cool. And she's loving The Musk. Make of that what you will.

Visions is still baller tho. Every track off that album is good.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Ratatozsk posted:

There’s quite a bit on the BG in the Encyclopedia, less but still some on the BT.

About the Benefit Gesserit:
Assuming the Encyclopedia is taken as canon, the BG date back to prehistorical ancient Terra. All mankind once shared a group consciousness, but at some point men began to lose this. The number of women able to share this began to decrease and from this early desire to restore group memory and consciousness was born the breeding program. I’m not enough of a historian to say for sure what specific historical events the Encyclopedia references, although Alexander the Great may come up within there. While their political capital waxed and waned through the ages, their unity of purpose paired with the unparalleled expanse of their influence (itself bolstered by the Missionara Protectiva) gave them a persistent leverage that eventually elevated them to the level of close counsel to Emperors and even at time kingmakers.

About the Bene Tleilax
The Bene Tleilax also predated the Jihad. They were just found one day out in space but since their discovery had always enforced a strict wall of secrecy. As the Encyclopedia is written as an in-universe document, specifics about their origins are lacking. Their continued influence is primarily based upon the unique services and products they offered.

Unfortunately, the Encyclopedia was published prior to Heretics and Chapterhouse. If memory serves, there’s one point at which Odrade talks faith with Scytale. She is able to unsettle him pretty significantly and cut to the core of his beliefs. Assuming that female tleilaxu are nothing but tanks and serve no other role, it’s likely been tens of thousands of years since any vestiges of the Missionaria had any effect on the Tleilax. But it’s still an interesting question of how much of that influence may be still be present.

Why do the Tleilaxu worship Leto II again? Scytale almost loving killed him as a 1 day old baby before he got promoted to Master.

And I really like how easily the BGs trick the BTs into thinking they're the same religion so easily. The witches are smart and resourceful and speaking original Terran Arabic wouldn't be beyond their abilities.

It's one of those things that makes this very dense series light up with bits of campy fun. The simple stupidity coming from characters who are basically all some sort of ubermensch or rainman or highly trained operative.

Like the whole thing with Yueh.
"You'll never make me betray the Atreides, Harkonnen scum. I'm mentally conditioned to be loyal and not one Suk doctor has betrayed their patients in the 10,000 years since the Jihad. "
"Yeah but, do it or we'll kill your wife."
"gently caress."

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Why do the Tleilaxu worship Leto II again? Scytale almost loving killed him as a 1 day old baby before he got promoted to Master.

And I really like how easily the BGs trick the BTs into thinking they're the same religion so easily. The witches are smart and resourceful and speaking original Terran Arabic wouldn't be beyond their abilities.

Leto tells the BT repeatedly that their pretense of faithfulness will eventually lose its guile and become sincere. Thousands of years of trying to bullshit everyone else and they started to believe their own lies. Also, we don't know for sure if the Scytale that was resurrected was from the same mass of cells that met Muad'Dib - he might have been left for the birds and the BT would have had to awaken him from an older sample.

The BG just ended up being a lot smarter, more far-sighted. They took every useful thing that the Tleilaxu possessed and pretty much gave them nothing back. Then their planet got blown up.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
its mentioned in heretics or ch that it was the scytale that met paul

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

its mentioned in heretics or ch that it was the scytale that met paul

I don't have the book on hand but I thought it made mention of one of their council meeting "the Prophet" which refers to Leto II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
both!

Heretics p50 posted:

Every one of them here had been wakened time after time in ghola flesh. There was a fleshly continuity in this Council that no other people had ever achieved. Mirlat himself had seen the Prophet with his own eyes. Scytale had spoken to Muad’dib!