Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Archyduchess posted:

That Denny O'Neil run is underrated and if your article touches on it I'm even more excited than I already was. I have a colleague in my dept who's been an effective evangelist for the flawed but interesting Chichester run and I need to get back at him by making him revisit Micah Syn.
Unfortunately I didn't get into O'Neil's run (because there's too much of it I haven't read) -- just Miller, Bendis, David Hine's Daredevil: Redemption miniseries, and then skipped Brubaker and Diggle to cover Waid and Soule.

I've probably overhyped it already. I should just stop talking about it, except I'm really excited. I've been collecting different Daredevil action figures to make a display in my office for whenever it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Uthor posted:

*she was totally real and not just someone he made up.

Technically, she was both. And also greatly resembled him, which probably is its own can of worms.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Unfortunately I didn't get into O'Neil's run (because there's too much of it I haven't read) -- just Miller, Bendis, David Hine's Daredevil: Redemption miniseries, and then skipped Brubaker and Diggle to cover Waid and Soule.

I've probably overhyped it already. I should just stop talking about it, except I'm really excited. I've been collecting different Daredevil action figures to make a display in my office for whenever it comes out.

Diggle sucks but the Brubaker run was fantastic.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

I've probably overhyped it already. I should just stop talking about it, except I'm really excited.

Nah, I'd be excited too if I was getting the chance to publish what sounds like a real passion project! If you post what journal it's in when it comes out I'm definitely stoked to read it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Diggle sucks but the Brubaker run was fantastic.

I own all the Brubaker books and agree it was great, although that bummer ending with Milla's fate just depresses the hell out of me. That's reaching new depths, even by Brubaker's standards. But he didn't focus as much on the legal aspects, which is what my paper was about.

Archyduchess posted:

Nah, I'd be excited too if I was getting the chance to publish what sounds like a real passion project! If you post what journal it's in when it comes out I'm definitely stoked to read it.
Thank you. I'll post a link for sure, whenever that happens. I think they're going to send me final edits in February. I never realized how slow the publication process would be!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

But he didn't focus as much on the legal aspects, which is what my paper was about.

Please tell me that your paper is titled "Matt Murdock is the Worst Attorney on Earth".

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Please tell me that your paper is titled "Matt Murdock is the Worst Attorney on Earth".

Haha, no, but that would have been great. My thesis is that the general public (non-lawyers) forms its ideas about lawyers and the legal system from film and television portrayals, so I expand that to talk about the portrayal of legal practice in Daredevil comics over the last few decades, and how they in turn influence the TV series. But of course, the show got canceled after my article got accepted for publication, so I'm going to have to write an addendum about that.

I try to balance examples of Murdock and Nelson as heroic, crusading lawyers who ultimately make the general public feel better about the idea of lawyers as "good guys," while also drawing attention to the conflicts of interest and ethical issues Murdock encounters due to his dual identity, and all the time he screws up, gets sanctioned, disbarred, etc. The conflicted, ethically-challenged lawyer is another pop culture archetype, but ultimately, I argue that he is a heroic, if flawed, character.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 25, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That Thanos comic about him meeting Death as a child isn't the worst thing ever but like a lot of similar comics published in the past 2 decades showing a villain's childhood, it was completely unnecessary.

Books of Doom was good, but then everyone and their mother tried to do their own version of it for characters who either already had their backstory fully fleshed out or really didn't need it.

I do not want to read about what Red Skull was like at 10.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i do, as long as red skull at age 10 still has the gross deformed red skull face and the plot is about him trying to secure the holy grail so that he can become top of his class by having all the better-performing students expelled but is ultimately thwarted by another student in a fedora.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think Thanos Rising might be the worst thing I’ve read by Jason Aaron. I think it is pretty terrible. Probably my least favorite Thanos story ever.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bulgaroctonus posted:

YES!!! Thank you!!!! It’s #222. That’s my first comic book (other than Archie Digests). I’m amazed that it’s as early as it is; I would’ve been about five years old. Gonna have to go looking around for that as my copy is long-gone. Thank you again.

I miss comics with numbers that went into the triple digits. :sigh: :corsair:

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
So I just finished the second trade of Back Hammer, it seems that the volume 3 trade is out next month but there are also lots of trades "from the world of Black Hammer". Are any of those essential or worth getting if I've enjoyed the first to volumes?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

prefect posted:

I miss comics with numbers that went into the triple digits. :sigh: :corsair:

Action Comics went back to the original numbering, so it's in quadruple digits.

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Heya, does anyone know why the second trade for loki agent of asgard isn't in print but books 1 and 3 are? The only physical copies of the second trade I can find online are massively overpriced second hand copies

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Libearian posted:

Heya, does anyone know why the second trade for loki agent of asgard isn't in print but books 1 and 3 are? The only physical copies of the second trade I can find online are massively overpriced second hand copies

I asked about it a while back, just a small print run for some reason

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah you’ll run into something like that every now and then. I wasn’t aware that was one in that situation. Makes me glad I got my copy when I did.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Starsnostars posted:

So I just finished the second trade of Back Hammer, it seems that the volume 3 trade is out next month but there are also lots of trades "from the world of Black Hammer". Are any of those essential or worth getting if I've enjoyed the first to volumes?
If you like Black Hammer I'd say pretty much all of them are worth reading. My favorite of the three so far hasn't finished/been collected yet (Quantum Age) but Sherlock Frankenstein and Doctor Star are both solid stories set in his little meta-universe.

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I asked about it a while back, just a small print run for some reason

Cheers, I guess I will have to buy the kindle copy and take the hit to my stupid completionist brain

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Libearian posted:

Cheers, I guess I will have to buy the kindle copy and take the hit to my stupid completionist brain

It might get a reprint when the Loki/Scarlet Witch show comes out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It might get a reprint when the Loki/Scarlet Witch show comes out.

I doubt it. More likely a OSHC or UE of the entire series.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Uthor posted:

He's been killed and "killed" (but not really) a few times.

Here's one time Drax ripped out his heart.

Note, his heart is in the middle of his sternum.

From a few pages back, but man, as much as I like Drax in the MCU, he's just a total bitch compared to his comic counterpart huh?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CityMidnightJunky posted:

From a few pages back, but man, as much as I like Drax in the MCU, he's just a total bitch compared to his comic counterpart huh?

Drax was badass, then he was kinda dumb and Hulkish for a while, but Abnett and Lanning (pbut) made him badass again. :allears:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I doubt it. More likely a OSHC or UE of the entire series.

The real question is if we're getting a Zdarsky Spider-Man omnibus

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

prefect posted:

Drax was badass, then he was kinda dumb and Hulkish for a while, but Abnett and Lanning (pbut) made him badass again. :allears:

I can understand why the movies couldn't use him even remotely the way the comics have him. Even if you dump the earth bound origins, Drax the being created and existing only for the purpose of killing Thanos doesn't work when the producers say "No Thanos until we get there with the Avengers." But a character who is only good at one thing and that thing is killing the most deadly person in the universe is something that could have been fun on screen.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I guess I understand why they didn't, but I wish the entire MCU revolved around Adam Warlock.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Uthor posted:

I guess I understand why they didn't, but I wish the entire MCU revolved around Adam Warlock.

Give it a few months and that's a possibility

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Why do you guys like superheroes?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

That Thanos comic about him meeting Death as a child isn't the worst thing ever but like a lot of similar comics published in the past 2 decades showing a villain's childhood, it was completely unnecessary.

Books of Doom was good, but then everyone and their mother tried to do their own version of it for characters who either already had their backstory fully fleshed out or really didn't need it.

I do not want to read about what Red Skull was like at 10.

Interestingly enough, UDON did one of these for Akuma and it was probably the best Street Fighter comic they did.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SonicRulez posted:

It's a fun idea.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

It appeals to a part of me that would like things to be fixable by beating up the right person. Thinking any harder on the subject than surface level leads to some rough places though and also shows that even in comics it's not that easy. Batman is Sisyphus, putting Joker behind bars over and over again. I like my supers comics relatively lighthearted because of this. Keep it light hearted and things work out fine, make it all grimdark and your characters start looking dumb for having no kill rules and such.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SonicRulez posted:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

SonicRulez posted:

Gotta believe in something. Might as well be that people can change the world by being good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
people living in fantastical places, struggling through adversity to defeat evil is like literally the oldest story ever passed down through humanity, i dont see anything wrong with enjoying it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The costumes.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

SonicRulez posted:

Why do you think Sonic Rulez?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Also, nostalgia. X-Men animated was on when I was the right age to be obsessed with it, the first movie I may have ever seen was Superman 4 out the back of a van at a drive in, and I grew up watching Batman 66 on rerun. That'l do it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Superheroes are ridiculous pulp. They’re the more modern iteration of Conan and James Bond and John Carter.

The more ridiculous the books the more I generally enjoy them.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Gotta believe in something. Might as well be that people can change the world by being good.

This is basically my answer. I find capes inspirational. There's just something about superhero media in any medium that gives me that feeling of wanting to do better. To have integrity and be kind. Somebody asked me why I like comic books so much. I think you can take a look at Avengers' last hour and think fans just like bright colors and explosions. There's more too it though, ya know?

duck trucker posted:

Why do you think Sonic Rulez?

I was once an idiot child and now it's just guaranteed to be available.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

At least in the Marvel and DC universes, another appeal of superheroes is complexity -- there are thousands of characters and places to learn about, each with their own story, all the way from Superman and Spider-Man down to Moondark the Magician or Mr. Banjo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SonicRulez posted:

Because I am a criminal pervert.