Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

Lambert posted:

You must be eating some delicious moldy bread. Half-Life 1 has aged amazingly well, it's still an (almost) perfect game.

Yeah, enjoy those terrible jumping puzzles, awful physics, and the entirety of xen.

Black Mesa literally fixes almost everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

A Smoke Break posted:

Half life has aged like moldy bread.. but is still better than Half life 2.

Black Mesa is legit amazing though.

BM doesn't even have the ichty sound and the tentacle boss doesn't work properly, also uses wonky soldier AI from HL2

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

Shibawanko posted:

BM doesn't even have the ichty sound and the tentacle boss doesn't work properly, also uses wonky soldier AI from HL2

Eh, I don't mind the tradeoff.

Also, it is unpopular opinions after all ;)

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

CrRoMa posted:

Yakuza games are good but goons are weirdly obsessed with them and i don't know why. I bet if you took the exact same style and gameplay and put it in 1960s Britain rather than 1980s Tokyo they would get criticised for bland combat and ps2 era mechanics but the Japanese setting seems to give it +2 on the /10 scale.

i mean tbh that's basically it

Yakuza's fun and interesting because it's a Japanese as gently caress game/setting/etc that makes no concessions for western audiences besides being subtitled in English. So it's a whole virtual tourism thing, that's also combined with a very Japanese style of writing where nothing's ever really presented with any degree of cynicism. Kiryu's just into it, be it literal games for children or a dance off with not-Michael Jackson.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Now picturing a Japanese version of Yakuza that's basically a Guy Ritchie movie, also minigames playing pinball and conkers or whatever stereotypical london gangsters are all about. Also hilarious accents and just as many convoluted plans.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Now picturing a Japanese version of Yakuza that's basically a Guy Ritchie movie, also minigames playing pinball and conkers or whatever stereotypical london gangsters are all about. Also hilarious accents and just as many convoluted plans.

I'm the english subtitles on the incomprehensible cockney slang

also:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

a new study bible! posted:

Here's a real unpopular opinion. The new God of War could have been cool, but the level and world design was such plodding poo poo that moving around was a terrible chore and it was reason enough to turn off an otherwise good game.

I turned that game off after you had to complete the long rear end light temple while carrying crystals back and forth like it was an n64 game.

Not defending it, because it is super plodding, but fairly soon after that the world becomes like a big circular hub that doesn't feel as horrid, and that light temple is 110% the worst part of the game. It's weird, because later on you get new abilities and stuff that's fun, but not until like halfway into the game. The most fun stuff is right at the very end. It's like it rewards you for slogging through poo poo with the actually fun game it kept promising.

Also, the new GoW sucks exactly because you can't just mash attack and slowly win, watching insane cut scenes and set pieces all the while, like you expect from GoW. It's much more like a traditional RPG, which is poo poo. (Until the end, when it becomes fun, but then promptly ends in the most unsatisfying way).

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

When was the last time anyone made an AAA game that wasn't he most bland uninteresting crap since the last one?

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Doom

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Wolfenstein New Order

E: wait I mean Doom

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I thought the new Prey was really good, though I haven't played any of the expansion stuff.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

It seems like a lot of wandering around stairwells, picking up junk, and barely surviving tin cans that attack you. Is that it? Does it ever get good?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

poisonpill posted:

It seems like a lot of wandering around stairwells, picking up junk, and barely surviving tin cans that attack you. Is that it? Does it ever get good?

From a pure gameplay perspective yeah, I guess that's it. I liked the exploration, getting into hidden/hard to reach areas, and interacting with the NPCs and the storyline proper. Later on the enemies become more threatening and varied than the mimics, though they remain a staple all the way through.

I'm also a sucker for games where you have to hack a PC to read e-mails or whatever.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

BioMe posted:

When was the last time anyone made an AAA game that wasn't he most bland uninteresting crap since the last one?

Breath of the wild.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

Which reminds me: Doom is just painkiller/Serious Sam with a Brutal doom skin.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

A Smoke Break posted:

Breath of the wild.

lmfao

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
tutorials are good.

Deus Ex and Oblivion had great tutorials / first levels

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

People who played WoW for more than a single month or any MMORPG for that matter wasted their lives doing so.

The Mortal Kombat series has been drifting on cultural moment in 1993 which was only a thing due to a cheap gimmick. They're all very bad fighting games with terrible gameplay and even worse animation. MK9 was a nice bit of throwback but netherrealm ruined any of their good will gained from that game with the absolute dog poo poo PS3 brown coated MKX.

Half Life 2 does not stand up to the test of time like Half Life 1. It's very much a lesser game with nicer physics, but the 'story' and setting is nowhere near as interesting as Black Mesa.

The Sega Saturn had the perfect 2d controller pad and to this day I do not understand why the industry standardized on 4 face button controllers instead of the superior 6 face button street fighter configuration.

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

Blake Stone is the best early DOS FPS

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

G-III posted:

People who played WoW for more than a single month or any MMORPG for that matter wasted their lives doing so.

The Mortal Kombat series has been drifting on cultural moment in 1993 which was only a thing due to a cheap gimmick. They're all very bad fighting games with terrible gameplay and even worse animation. MK9 was a nice bit of throwback but netherrealm ruined any of their good will gained from that game with the absolute dog poo poo PS3 brown coated MKX.

Half Life 2 does not stand up to the test of time like Half Life 1. It's very much a lesser game with nicer physics, but the 'story' and setting is nowhere near as interesting as Black Mesa.

The Sega Saturn had the perfect 2d controller pad and to this day I do not understand why the industry standardized on 4 face button controllers instead of the superior 6 face button street fighter configuration.

It doesn't help that half life 2s plot will forever remain unfinished. So much of that game was left to explain later and never was.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sh1fty posted:

My dad and I still whistle Blake Stone music all the time

That game was the poo poo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A Smoke Break posted:

Which reminds me: Doom is just painkiller/Serious Sam with a Brutal doom skin.

You'd have to have not played any of those games to have this opinion

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I never understood comparing serious sam to doom, new or old. Serious sam is a goofy, arcade shooter loaded with monsters flying everywhere. New doom doesn't do big fights with dozens of dudes and old doom only really used those for traps.

They just feel different.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

G-III posted:

If you want the 6 button layout you could get a rereleased Duke, that has 6 face buttons. Two of them duplicate what would normally be R1 and L1 but they're there, on the face of the controller instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Duke-Wired-Controller-Windows-Black/dp/B079ZPCCLM

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lambert posted:

You must be eating some delicious moldy bread. Half-Life 1 has aged amazingly well, it's still an (almost) perfect game.

Halfloaf2 is also really good

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

ishikabibble posted:

If you want the 6 button layout you could get a rereleased Duke, that has 6 face buttons. Two of them duplicate what would normally be R1 and L1 but they're there, on the face of the controller instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Duke-Wired-Controller-Windows-Black/dp/B079ZPCCLM
luckily my dream solution is just on the horizon

http://retro-bit.com/blog/post/retrobit-unveils-first-wave-of-officially-licensed-sega-products/

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

what's the value of all this in dollars if you bought it all with PLEX today

The keepstar itself is worth about $300. However it dropped all of the accumulated loot from the Hard Knocks corporation for years, trillians of isk. The picture I posted was ONE of the cans that dropped, worth about $5000. There were many more, but no one knows the full amount.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sh1fty posted:

I'm with you on this, Blake stone rules.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone keeping track of those knocks nerds? I can't imagine they're still logging in for the interim, after having lost all that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McGiggins posted:

Is anyone keeping track of those knocks nerds? I can't imagine they're still logging in for the interim, after having lost all that.

a lot of them loaded up freighters and logged off in space to save their loot. that wormhole system is going to have HK people logging in and trying to sneak out for months

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

EVE always sounds cool on paper but it seems like it requires an assload of time and diligence to do anything of note in it. I appreciate being able to hear the stories from afar though, so thanks.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

sh1fty posted:

It's been too long since I've played it to make a solid judgement, but Blake Stone was the poo poo back in the day, at least.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Temaukel posted:

Dragon's Dogma is loving garbage and I'll never listen to goon recommendations ever again.

Dragon's Dogma rules actually, but I'd warn someone that it's sort of loving garbage before recommending it to them. It does a few things so right that I love it though. Unfortunately it also does a lot of things insanely wrong.

If you are looking for a polished approach to open world game design, good missions, A decent inventory system, difficulty balance, or a good story, look elsewhere. If you are looking to crawl around on monsters or chuck them off cliffs, have some genuinely cool moments of exploration, mess around with awesome character customization, and laugh at moments of unintentional comedy, there is really no game better than DD. Also I really like the 80's D&D style art direction.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 28, 2018

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Twitch posted:

It's been too long since I've played it to make a solid judgement, but Blake Stone was the poo poo back in the day, at least.

It's better than all the other wolf3d and probably better than wolf3d it self at least.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

sebmojo posted:

Halfloaf2 is also really good

I couldn't even finish the demo I was so bored. is the full game worth it?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Zzulu posted:

What the hell do you mean, son? Post examples of your issue or I am closing down your posts immediately
I don't have any gamer videoes handy but I watched my housemate play horizon and I saw some stuff about that samurai game and in both cases all the vegetation looked drunk and it was very offputting.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bumpmapping ruined 3D graphics by making everything look like it's made of meat

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is Titanfall 2 good? It's like 5 bucks on Origin right now. Very tempting, even if I don't intend to play any multiplayer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Away all Goats posted:

Is Titanfall 2 good? It's like 5 bucks on Origin right now. Very tempting, even if I don't intend to play any multiplayer.

It's the best FPS of all time.

If anyone disagrees they loving suck and are lame rather than cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Away all Goats posted:

titanfall 2 is very, very good, also, you should play the multiplayer because it lets you ride around on the shoulders of your buddy's mech shooting dudes in the head

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's the best FPS of all time.

If anyone disagrees they loving suck and are lame rather than cool and good.

this guy is not lying to you