Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

hackbunny posted:

I couldn't even finish the demo I was so bored. is the full game worth it?

yea its p good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I liked majora's mask more than Ocarina of time

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Bumpmapping ruined 3D graphics by making everything look like it's made of meat

All must be made meaT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAz4iSwt5Vg

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Salty Josh posted:

Both are bad compared to all 2D Zeldas

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ishikabibble posted:

Having the source code to an engine is totally different than something like Unity or Gamemaker

Quake engine is all code touching. if you wanna do anything you're basically rolling your own tools, which is why all the original stuff that wasn't just a map or a mod or something came from studios and not teens in bedrooms. GM and I assume Unity too are basically building blocks and it's entirely possible to make a game without needing to touch code. You're probably going to, but the amount you actually are required to is insignificant compared to making something on the Quake engine that isn't just Quake.

aaah i see. i had assumed the bulk of the work making something like medal of honor or return to castle wolfenstein from the quake 3 engine was, like, level and sound design, modeling and animation, but it makes sense that there’s whole other layers of coding that has to happen first before you can even get to that stuff

is making something like Unity feasible for an open-source community or is taking an engine to being “building blocks” likely too much work for people who aren’t being paid

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Salty Josh posted:

That's because you have taste

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ishikabibble posted:

Having the source code to an engine is totally different than something like Unity or Gamemaker

Quake engine is all code touching. if you wanna do anything you're basically rolling your own tools, which is why all the original stuff that wasn't just a map or a mod or something came from studios and not teens in bedrooms. GM and I assume Unity too are basically building blocks and it's entirely possible to make a game without needing to touch code. You're probably going to, but the amount you actually are required to is insignificant compared to making something on the Quake engine that isn't just Quake.

unity lets you make games on a codetouching level too but most people simply don't bother

i'll spare you my mbs-large classes but i guarantee you that if you want, you can do that kind of poo poo in unity as well. it's way more reliable than putting yourself at the mercy of the subpar editor, but you get to keep the robustness of its in-engine methods (at the price of... well, whatever the gently caress idiot spyware poo poo unity is trying to sneak into your build this day of the week).

OMGVBFLOL posted:

is making something like Unity feasible for an open-source community or is taking an engine to being “building blocks” likely too much work for people who aren’t being paid

i think this is the premise of monogame and that's not bad to work with, but it's a subpar and somewhat dated copy of its xna roots if you're trying to port. documentation exists but isn't the most accessible, and you can run into major problems if you don't build your project around monogame from day one.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 28, 2018

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Rutibex posted:

There was a very interesting wormhole invasion in EVE recently. wormhole space is very easily defensible because you can control the holes in/out of your system and most holes won't allow capital ships through. but someone (a goonswarm ally) was able to sneak hundreds of battleships into the top wormhole corporations base of operations and log them off in space for later. the holes are only open from his area like once a week, so it took over a year of sneaking in these ships.

once the ships were in he called on his Corp mates to come man them, outnumbering the "invincible" wormholers 10 to 1. hundreds of people in the hole. rather than fight the "elite pvp" wormhole Corp blew up their capital ship for the insurance money :v: only in EVE online. the devs never planned anything like this, they just make some mechanics and let's people do what they want with them.

lol what a fuckin nerd

eve will forever be the best MMO because of poo poo like this

edit: I kept a chinese goldfarmer as an indentured servant to pad the delta squadron holding corp's wallet when the goons were out in angel space until I got called out on it

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

EVE always sounds cool on paper but it seems like it requires an assload of time and diligence to do anything of note in it. I appreciate being able to hear the stories from afar though, so thanks.

EVE loving sucks but if you have the patience for it some amazing things can happen (rarely), but don't take my word for it because I also haven't really played since karttoon dissolved goonfleet and ended the Great War so I don't know much about the game today

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 28, 2018

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Wait what's this about idiot spyware in unity?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Witcher 3 is a boring lovely game and Geralt is incredibly boring.
Also the combat is trash.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

JUST loving STOP, JESUS H. CHRIST

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah i think weve covered the witcher and bethesda by now

My favorite hypothetical gamepad would be like the hori fighting commander for snes with 6 face buttons with analog triggers and dual sticks at the bottom like the 8bitdo snes range.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 28, 2018

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The LA Noire interrogation stuff never felt right to me to the point that despite how little it comes up, I think it ends up turning me off from the game more than anything else.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Guitar Vader is why I cannot stand Jet Set Radio, and the echo of that memory is probably why I also don’t like the music in the Splatoon series.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm sure people would pay at least $5 to for DLC to revert Crazy Taxi store names back to their original, branded forms.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Square is the worst video game company on the planet. Worse than EA, Ubisoft or any of the other companies people have a hate boner for. Square gives no fucks about anything. How many good series have they left to rot or completely destroyed with bad ideas and bad optimization. The most recent example being the abomination that is Just Cause 4, which has been gutted of all the fun things people liked and (surprise?) runs like hot garbage. If ports of a port of a port are your thing check out the over priced final fantasy ~remasters~ on steam. They poo poo on American gamers in the 16-bit era by thinking we are too stupid to understand their games, arrogance over profit.

EA will at least acknowledge when they gently caress up if enough people bitch about it, not Square. Community relations are non-existent. You will play this poo poo and you will like it. gently caress Squaresoft.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

BubbaGrace posted:

Square is the worst video game company on the planet. Worse than EA, Ubisoft or any of the other companies people have a hate boner for. Square gives no fucks about anything. How many good series have they left to rot or completely destroyed with bad ideas and bad optimization. The most recent example being the abomination that is Just Cause 4, which has been gutted of all the fun things people liked and (surprise?) runs like hot garbage. If ports of a port of a port are your thing check out the over priced final fantasy ~remasters~ on steam. They poo poo on American gamers in the 16-bit era by thinking we are too stupid to understand their games, arrogance over profit.

EA will at least acknowledge when they gently caress up if enough people bitch about it, not Square. Community relations are non-existent. You will play this poo poo and you will like it. gently caress Squaresoft.

Yeah i hated when they took over Enix, which was always the better 16 bit publisher

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think Square is in the same place Capcom was a few years ago where they're run by senile old Japanese men who hate everything and stopped processing new information a decade ago and have chased off or demoted all their talent so Nomura is the only one left they trust to do anything.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BubbaGrace posted:

Weirdly enough Square and EA suck rear end individually, but when they were Square-EA...life was pretty loving good.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

BubbaGrace posted:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/square-dance

quote:

Q: Can you explain the thinking behind what you call polymorphic content — for example, the development of the Final Fantasy VII world in various games, merchandise, a DVD film and so on?

A: We manufacture content. We wrack our brains for what might sell and what might not, but it's very difficult to hit the jackpot, as it were. Once we've hit it, we have to get all the juice possible out of it. The obvious example is Final Fantasy. If we just sell each one, we end up with only 12 commodities. We have to think what we can do to make more profit out of the series.

We believe that consumers should be segmented by what they think, rather than age, profession or even race. We feel that what really wins their hearts is the concept of the game world. By the polymorphic strategy, we sell them what they really want in terms of concept — something that appeals to them — several times over.

Yoichi Wada joined Square less than 2 years before the merger and became president of Square-Enix after the merger.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 28, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
One day, Disney is going to acquire Nintendo or attempt to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Being huge merchandising whores isn't too new, but the mismanagement and general baffling behaviour seems to be. Everything is either massively overdeveloped or begrudgingly shoved out the door with no middle ground.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Secret of Mana remake that looked like it was made with the Warcraft 3 engine is the worst gaming related product I can think of in recent memory.

Star Man posted:

One day, Disney is going to acquire Nintendo or attempt to.

They're building a Nintendoland section in Universal Studios Japan though.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 28, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Shibawanko posted:

They're building a Nintendoland section in Universal Studios Japan though.

If they can build it, they can tear it down and ship it to Disney World Tokyo.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
doesn't nintendo have like $texas saved up or something

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

McGiggins posted:

Wait what's this about idiot spyware in unity?

For the past one or two years, Unity has been shunting various hidden scanning poo poo into all builds (unless you buy pro and specifically disable it in your build options--obviously not something most small time devs can afford to do until release) that secretly sends usage statistics, reports system specs, etc while Unity software is running. They keep trying various and different ways to obscure it from the devs so people accidentally send out builds of their games packed with Unity's spyware, and it came out as a big thing earlier this year because it wasn't gdpr compliant and you actually had to install a third-party plugin to interfere with their built-in phoning home to make their games Europe-legal.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The White Dragon posted:

For the past one or two years, Unity has been shunting various hidden scanning poo poo into all builds (unless you buy pro and specifically disable it in your build options--obviously not something most small time devs can afford to do until release) that secretly sends usage statistics, reports system specs, etc while Unity software is running. They keep trying various and different ways to obscure it from the devs so people accidentally send out builds of their games packed with Unity's spyware, and it came out as a big thing earlier this year because it wasn't gdpr compliant and you actually had to install a third-party plugin to interfere with their built-in phoning home to make their games Europe-legal.

sounds like gaming finally caught up with pharma, now all they need to do is raise the price of mario 98,000%

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

jimmyjams posted:

doesn't nintendo have like $texas saved up or something

I do hear that they're in the habit of saving shitloads of money, though probably went through a lot of it with the Wii U's failure. Makes sense given how volatile video games can be and how expensive development can get these days, especially when you don't have any secondary businesses like the other major hardware producers.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

signalnoise posted:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/square-dance

Yoichi Wada joined Square less than 2 years before the merger and became president of Square-Enix after the merger.

Yeah, the merger put an end to Square and EA sharing stock and publishing for each other, so no more Bushido Blade, no more Einhander, no more FFs that weren't MMO style, etc

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

QuarkJets posted:

You'd have to have not played any of those games to have this opinion

Games with "arenas" where floods of enemies come in and you have to dispatch them via circle strafing and projectile dodging. Yeah, sounds like doom 2016.

Doom was about great level design, projectile dodging, and monster closets. The only real "arena" stages that I can think of are Dead Simple and The Courtyard.. and they're both in doom 2.

Yes, Doom 2016 does have open areas with some light keycard management, and linear hallways with the occasional monster closet.. but it's closer to Serious Sam than Doom ever was. And even further from what doom 3 was.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

BubbaGrace posted:

That's a weird spelling of Take Two.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A Smoke Break posted:

Games with "arenas" where floods of enemies come in and you have to dispatch them via circle strafing and projectile dodging. Yeah, sounds like doom 2016.

Doom was about great level design, projectile dodging, and monster closets. The only real "arena" stages that I can think of are Dead Simple and The Courtyard.. and they're both in doom 2.

Yes, Doom 2016 does have open areas with some light keycard management, and linear hallways with the occasional monster closet.. but it's closer to Serious Sam than Doom ever was. And even further from what doom 3 was.

games don't have "levels" any more, just elabourte corridors. backtracking, mazes, and keys are too complex for the modern gamer

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

A Smoke Break posted:

Doom 3 was poo poo, so this is good.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

Rutibex posted:

games don't have "levels" any more, just elabourte corridors. backtracking, mazes, and keys are too complex for the modern gamer

Tell that to Dusk, Amid Evil, and Ion Maiden. The AAA shooters tend to lean towards the way you're inferring, but the new PC FPS scene really is hunkering down on old school mechanics and gameplay. And I think that's for the better. As much as I actually did like doom 2016, it isn't the "return to classic FPS games" like everyone is clamoring it was. I'd argue Wolf 2014 was closer to that in that regard, and even then most of the game was still rooted in modern gaming tropes.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

this post must be from right after halflife 2 came out because it's been big levels with backtracking since 2004 and it's just getting worse.

unpopular opinion: story driven linear corridors can be fine. See the Metro franchise so far (I know they're going open world for the next one). Any middling open world game with a decent narrative could probably have been a better, tighter game if they'd narrowed the scope and spent less time on "you can walk to that mountain!"

e: Recently played FPS for me on steam are HITMAN 2, New Vegas, Dishonored 1/2, Prey, Skyrim, GTA V, Alien Isolation. I haven't played a corridor shooter in years, apparently, and most of these are big levels with mazes and backtracking. Worst offender is GTA5 when you're locked into a mission.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 28, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The White Dragon posted:

:psyduck:

Where do you learn about this poo poo? I know you're an indie dev but I'm here literally just trying to learn blender and Unity for a project I'm poking with and it would be really nice to know things like "oh yeah your engine has a bunch of illicit reporting hooks". gently caress it, maybe I'll try UE4.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Shibawanko posted:

Both are bad compared to all 2D Zeldas

Seasons and Ages were pretty loving awesome.

Link to the Past is timeless

And Links Awakening was decent

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The adventure of link separated the soyboys from the men

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost

ditty bout my clitty posted:

The adventure of link separated the soyboys from the men

The 2d zelda games had such a good story line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

Salty Josh posted:

Seasons and Ages were pretty loving awesome.

Link to the Past is timeless

And Links Awakening was decent

Links awakening is my favorite in the series.

Probably because I was a sega kid with a gameboy, and it was "my" zelda title.. but I just loved it.

Oracle of ages and seasons are fantastic, but not as good.