Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Zombie Dachshund posted:

What's a good place to start with Godzilla comics?

You can follow the whole IDW run: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_(comics)#IDW_Publishing
I'm not sure if there's major continuity between the series up till James Stokoe's Half-Century War, I didn't read 'em, but you can do that miniseries by it's self. Godzilla In Hell too, I think.

Half-Century War:

The old Marvel run is fun as well https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Godzilla-Marvel-Essentials-Moench/dp/0785121536

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

You can follow the whole IDW run: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_(comics)#IDW_Publishing
I'm not sure if there's major continuity between the series up till James Stokoe's Half-Century War, I didn't read 'em, but you can do that miniseries by it's self. Godzilla In Hell too, I think.

Half-Century War:

The old Marvel run is fun as well https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Godzilla-Marvel-Essentials-Moench/dp/0785121536

That’s helpful, thanks! Looks like some of the IDW trades will work for an eight year old kaiju fan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Mother Panic any good? How about Milk Wars?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Mother Panic starts okay and settles for staying there.

Milk Wars is fantastic, especially if you've got the background of all the Young Animal titles. I own it in issues and digitally and they both look great, but the print trade I saw looked washed out in comparison. hth

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think it's worth doing the whole Young Animal thing. Milk Wars sort of relies on you being into all of the comics. Not sure what you'd get from the twists on the characters if you aren't reading them.
If you're reading trades, wait for Doom Patrol Vol 2 to come out at the end of the month. It contains the issues leading up to the crossover.

edit: If you're getting all the stuff, note Eternity Girl and relaunched series with title changes (ie: Mother Panic>MP:Gotham AD, Shade The Changing Girl>Changing Woman) take place after Milk Wars.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 3, 2018

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
There’s an Aquaman sale, and frankly, I’ve never read any Aquaman. He’s the guy who talks to fish right?

What is recommended?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

hadji murad posted:

There’s an Aquaman sale, and frankly, I’ve never read any Aquaman. He’s the guy who talks to fish right?

What is recommended?

PAD did good Aquaman back in the day, particularly The Atlantis Chronicles. His 1994 series was the beginning of Aquaman's beardy barbarian look.

I also enjoyed Neal Pozner's 1986 Aquaman miniseries, aka The One with the Blue Costume, even though it got instantly forgotten continuity-wise.

And as a spinoff from Pozner, Phil Jimenez's Tempest mini is awesome to look at, although Jimenez's writing skills are uneven at best.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 4, 2018

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Yeah I like PAD so I’ll give that a chance. Thanks!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I plan to get the peter David stuff but is there anything else? How are the series after he returns from the dead? The 52 by John’s? The rebirth?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Johns' was good. Much more solid than his Justice League of the time. It carried on well with Jeff Parker too.

Maybe the 2003 trades are worth a look if just for the Pat Gleason art.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 5, 2018

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Which is friendlier to the newbie Aquaman reader? Nu52 or Rebirth run? I might buy both vol 1s and wait for the next sales, but there might be better choices.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Johns/Parker is better than Abnett, imo.
I don't really remember how either one read at their first issues, but they should both be fine to jump in to. I guess Johns' would be easier since it was a newly rebooted universe and all.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Teenage Fansub posted:

Johns/Parker is better than Abnett, imo.
I don't really remember how either one read at their first issues, but they should both be fine to jump in to. I guess Johns' would be easier since it was a newly rebooted universe and all.

I got both!

Is there a reading order for Morrison's pre-Nu52 Batman run? There's a lot of trades and I'd like to read them in chronological order. And I don't mind spoilers, could someone list down the major story beats?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Schneider Heim posted:

Is there a reading order for Morrison's pre-Nu52 Batman run? There's a lot of trades and I'd like to read them in chronological order. And I don't mind spoilers, could someone list down the major story beats?

Omnibuses are coming out that will cover it but in trade it's something like this:

Batman and Son (Deluxe)
The Black Casebook (optional backstory)
Batman RIP
Final Crisis (has a major impact on the run but is arguably not a part of it)

Batman and Robin vol 1
Batman and Robin vol 2
Time and the Batman (I like it between 1&2 but most people put it here)
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman and Robin vol 3

Batman Incorporated.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Unless you're in for cheap digital trades, definitely do the omnibuses. As I understand, they get new pages to cover things like the Ras Al Ghul miniseries that Morrison only had a tiny part in, and will probably condense Final Crisis in the next one.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Are the Batwoman New 52/Rebirth comics good? I only read the Detective Comics run featuring her and really liked it, but I remember some drama behind the character later and didn't keep up reading the book and was thinking about getting some of the TPBs now

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

radlum posted:

Are the Batwoman New 52/Rebirth comics good? I only read the Detective Comics run featuring her and really liked it, but I remember some drama behind the character later and didn't keep up reading the book and was thinking about getting some of the TPBs now

From what I've seen the N52 run doesn't quite recapture the magic of the original Detective Comics run but is worth reading.

She's one of the main characters in Tynion's run of Detective Comics Rebirth, which is also nothing like her original run but is a fantastic Bat-family series.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What’s some good Nightwing that isn’t Grayson?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hadji murad posted:

What’s some good Nightwing that isn’t Grayson?

I like the original Chuck Dixon stuff, but I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to read anything written by him now.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Yeah I’m halfway through NML and grimace every time I’m reading one of his issues.

radlum
May 13, 2013
What are the better Poison Ivy's stories? Poison Ivy's fandom is kind of intense so I think I'd rather ask here.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I liked the Justice League United run she was on, but I don't think the collection ever came out.
It goes from the 'sneak peak' issue into #10 https://www.comixology.com/Justice-League-United-2014-2015/comics-series/15974

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I started reading comics around the time of the New 52 DC and Marvel Now! reboots, and I dropped off comics completely around 2014-ish but recently I've had the itch to get back into it. Everything's moved on a lot since then though and I'm kind of lost as to where to start.

Stuff that I enjoyed previously was:

Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery, Young Avengers, and Wicked + the Divine. There's something about the way he writes characters and stories that I really love, even if I can't put it into words properly

Jonathan Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers run. I loved the constant feeling of urgency and doom that ran through this run, and I really enjoyed seeing the characters forced to grapple with horrendous decisions under pressure. The intricacy of the plot with all the foreshadowing and multiple layers of meaning was great too. I really liked Manhattan Projects too, but that hasn't had a new release in years from what I can tell

American Vampire, New 52 Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Justice League Dark, I Vampire, All Star Western, Demon Knights, and Batwoman. I loved the moodiness of all these series, both in terms of writing and art

Dial H. I'm a sucker for stories like this that lean heavily on surrealism of art and story but with v relatable characters

New 52 Wonder Woman and Jason Aaron's Thor. The mythic quality of both these comics really entranced me

Matt Fraction's Hawkeye and Sex Criminals. Loved the humour, loved the characters, loved the smaller-scale more everyday nature of the stories

Morning Glories. I'm an absolute sucker for weird, paranormal, intricate mystery/conspiracy stories. Unfortunately this one didn't feel like it was going anywhere after a while, but anything similar that's actually executed well would be great.

So basically, I'd be interested in anything that the creators of the above comics have been working on since I fell off around 2014-ish, or anything that's similar in mood or style by other people. I'm already planing to pick up Wicked + The Divine and Sex Criminals where I left off years back. I know I listed a ton of Big Two stuff but I'm happy to branch out to smaller publishers or indies too.

I'd especially be into anything that captures the moodiness of the darker New 52 comics that I listed above like Animal Man, Swamp Thing, I Vampire, etc, either in terms of art or story. Dark doesn't mean edgy though, I'm def not interested in anything that's just pointlessly edgy for the sake of it. I'm not a fan of anything Garth Ennis or Mark Millar has written in the last 10 years, for example. And lastly I'm somewhat tired of superhero stuff now that it saturates pretty much all pop culture, but I'd for sure be into a superhero book that actually did something interesting with it

EDIT: And while I've loved Hickman's stuff in the past, I'm not sure I want to get into another one of his stories that'll probably never be finished. Or anything by other creators that are stuck in limbo either

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 27, 2018

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Start going through Al Ewing’s Marvel stuff should be up your alley. Mighty Avengers and Loki are good starting points that are finished

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Retro Futurist posted:

Start going through Al Ewing’s Marvel stuff should be up your alley. Mighty Avengers and Loki are good starting points that are finished

I actually started and enjoyed Loki: Agent of Asgard but never finished it. Thanks

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Matt Fraction's Hawkeye and Sex Criminals. Loved the humour, loved the characters, loved the smaller-scale more everyday nature of the stories

Morning Glories. I'm an absolute sucker for weird, paranormal, intricate mystery/conspiracy stories. Unfortunately this one didn't feel like it was going anywhere after a while, but anything similar that's actually executed well would be great.

So basically, I'd be interested in anything that the creators of the above comics have been working on since I fell off around 2014-ish, or anything that's similar in mood or style by other people. I'm already planing to pick up Wicked + The Divine and Sex Criminals where I left off years back. I know I listed a ton of Big Two stuff but I'm happy to branch out to smaller publishers or indies too.

If you liked the humor of Hawkeye and the writer of Morning Glories (Nick Spencer), check out Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man and Astonishing Ant-Man. They are essentially superhero comedies, even moreso than Hawkeye, with protagonists who are losers and assholes who vacillate between being competent and being buffoons.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I started reading comics around the time of the New 52 DC and Marvel Now! reboots, and I dropped off comics completely around 2014-ish but recently I've had the itch to get back into it. Everything's moved on a lot since then though and I'm kind of lost as to where to start.

Stuff that I enjoyed previously was:

Jason Aaron is still writing Thor to this day (though his run seems to be winding down) and it's been a great ride all the way through.

There's also a new Justice League Dark series going on written by James Tynion IV. I've only read a few issues so far but it seems pretty good.

Also if you're looking for dark and moody stories, might I suggest :sax: Hellboy and the Hellboy extended universe? :sax:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'd recommend Kelly Thompson's Hawkeye series, featuring the better Hawkeye, it continues the Kate Bishop in LA stuff that started in Fraction's series.

It's older than the stuff you mentioned, but since you liked Hickman's Avengers stuff then you should absolutely read his Fantastic Four run that immediately proceeded it.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Skwirl posted:

I'd recommend Kelly Thompson's Hawkeye series, featuring the better Hawkeye, it continues the Kate Bishop in LA stuff that started in Fraction's series.

It's older than the stuff you mentioned, but since you liked Hickman's Avengers stuff then you should absolutely read his Fantastic Four run that immediately proceeded it.

Oh yeah I read Hickman's F4 and Future Foundation and adored it

And thanks everyone else for your suggestions, I'll def check them out. Any further recommendations are v welcome though!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Ant Man and Superior Foes are both good places to start and stop with Nick Spencer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh yeah, I missed the first time, Jason Aaron's Thor is still going, it's wrapping up probably this Summer in an event. Read all the Jane Thor stuff, which I think had two series (one before Secret Wars and one after) then another relaunch with original flavor Thor that's only a few issues in. Once Odinson is Thor again you might start reading Aaron's Avenger, it doesn't crossover yet, but probably will in said Summer event.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really liked a lot of that New 52 stuff too. That line got a bad rap but they tried to do some interesting stuff with the smaller titles.

Black Monday Murders is basically done if you want to do Hickman indie stuff. Kill or be Killed by Brubaker does the dark thing. (And read Fatale if you haven’t read it.)

Tom King’s Vision and Mr Miracle for character work.

From what you said though, the current run on Immortal Hulk.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll def take a look at them. Meanwhile, I've been googling a few of my favourite creators from back before I stopped reading to find out what they've worked on since, and I'd be interested to know people's opinions on them

Jeff Lemire - All New Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Bloodshot Reborn, Descender, Black Hammer, Plutona, Royal City, AD After Death

Scott Snyder - Wytches, AD After Death

Joshua Hale Fialkov - The Bunker, The Life After

Matt Fraction - ODY-C

I haven't been able to find anything JH Williams III did post-Batwoman other than a new book called Echolands that's still to come. Has he done anything worth checking out since then? Similarly Brian Azzarello, other than The Master Race

Also, is the Greg Rucka Wonder Woman worth reading?

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 28, 2018

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
JH Williams III worked to put a benefit book for the Las Vegas shooting this year.

Where We Live: Las Vegas Shooting Benefit Anthology https://www.amazon.com/dp/1534308229/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_C-PjCbWRK6A0J

I totally dig ODY-C, but that's like 80% because of the artwork. Have you read Casanova? It's my favorite Fraction work.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Nope, never read it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jeff Lemire
All New Hawkeye - Good
Moon Knight - Great
Bloodshot Reborn - Great
Descender - Great
Black Hammer - Real Good

Joshua Hale Fialkov
The Bunker - Great story, for some the art is a turn off, it’s definiely not a style for everyone
The Life After - Real Good

Matt Fraction
ODY-C - Beautiful art, like hang on your wall good. The story leaves a lot to be desired.

Greg Rucka Wonder Woman - I really enjoyed the Year One issues, the modern ones not so much

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't read near enough non big two books, but I've dug all the Marvel stuff Lemire did, All-New Hawkeye is different in tone from Fraction's run, but still good and still features both Hawkeyes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Black Hammer is great. A lot of books at this point too.

I liked AD After Death too. Very indie though. Not like his big 2 work.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

If you can find a physical copy of Lemire's book "Trillium", I'd recommend giving it a go. Apparently it was an eight issue mini, but I found it in one volume at the library. The reason I recommend a physical copy specifically is the fact that some parts are flipped upside down, and read in a reverse order. Hmmm that's not very clear. Basically, it does some unorthodox things with telling the story from different points of view which require unusual manipulation of the book. Not sure how well that would come across / how much of a PITA it would be in digital format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Jeff Lemire - All New Hawkeye, Moon Knight, Bloodshot Reborn, Descender, Black Hammer, Plutona, Royal City, AD After Death

You pretty much can't go wrong with Jeff Lemire. Everything he's written in the last few years has been good at worst and amazing at best.