Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Bought this game for the third time since my current pc doesn't have a cd drive so I can't install with the dics. What is the best way to make the game look pretty? I got the OpenMW working and with no other mods or anything it looks a lot better. How do I go about doing mods with OpenMW? The link in the op doesn't work anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I use MGE-XE and a hand-curated 4 GB Textures folder. Or, in other words, I'm not sure what you do to make OpenMW pretty. With the Morrowind Code Patch (MCP), the old engine has worked quite well for me so far. You might want to give it a shot.

But yeah, fancy stuff with lighting and shaders, you want to use the regular engine with the code patch and the graphics extender (MGE-XE). Add in texture and model improvement mods and you can get something like this:

OpenMW is more about reinventing the wheel to make a newer, better wheel. If you're on Windows, you can instead fine-tune and bling-out the old wheel.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Skyrim: Home of the Nords mod for Morrowind was updated for Christmas., but it's hard to tell what's new precisely as I haven't seen a changelog.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

The Skyrim: Home of the Nords mod for Morrowind was updated for Christmas., but it's hard to tell what's new precisely as I haven't seen a changelog.

A ton of new quests and a few new cells

Karthwasten has like 40 quests now

Dragonstar and markarth are not included but int and npc complete

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How is this mod anyway? Is it basically "Skyrim, but in the ES3 engine?" Or is it something else? If it's as expansive and detailed as anything in Tamriel Rebuilt I might have to get my little baby hands on it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

How is this mod anyway? Is it basically "Skyrim, but in the ES3 engine?" Or is it something else? If it's as expansive and detailed as anything in Tamriel Rebuilt I might have to get my little baby hands on it.

its third era skyrim as depicted in supplementary dialogue in tes 1-3

it is not tes5:skyrim, but intentionally a world more faithful to the previously established lore

in the same way project: cyrodiil is "cyrodiil except actually jungled and wacky like it was supposed to be"

yes it's tamriel rebuilt but for skyrim

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

its third era skyrim as depicted in supplementary dialogue in tes 1-3

it is not tes5:skyrim, but intentionally a world more faithful to the previously established lore

in the same way project: cyrodiil is "cyrodiil except actually jungled and wacky like it was supposed to be"

yes it's tamriel rebuilt but for skyrim

I'm legit looking forward to 2042 when Morrowind has a modpack for literal Tamriel Rebuilt

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

2042 is probably pretty generous.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I imagine within the next five years someone will have found out how to harness adversarial neural network to do chores such as landmass generation and interior cluttering.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

finally we will achieve Daggerfall-level technology,,,

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I want the walkin tree cities silvenar c'mon man ur killin' me

make actual gondolier boats and stuff for the hapless fools that need to cross argonia without waterwalking (or just wanna avoid dreughs in general)
Obviously the same concepts apply to both just scale up from a boat with like two guys to a couple pretty big walkin' cities in valenwood

I mean yeah they had to cap off vivec's cantons to keep it from detonating the engine but all of vivec smushed into a highly vertical & dense zone and the whole thing moves should be nbd. I mean if you were running along towards a tree with a trunk the size of a canton you should be able to catch up to it even if it goes it's whole width in one day

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Are there any other quality quest mods besides the three listed in the OP? I don't like LGNPC's style of writing, so I uninstalled those, but I do have the trifecta of Rise of House Telvanni + Uvirith's Legacy + Building Up Uvirith's Legacy. Will the Twin Lamps mod conflict with RoHT?

The Skyrim and Cyrodiil mods people have been discussing also sound spiffy, but how complete are they?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I dunno about Cyrodiil but the Skyrim mod has a bunch of content to do and is worth checking out.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Spent a few hours getting a bunch of mods to go with OpenMW and it looks pretty nice now! Playing through as a mage, and when I say mage I mean I cast one spell that absorbs all the enemy's fatigue while damaging its agility and willpower, leaving it on the ground unconscious while I beat it to death with my fists.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm at work so I can't check the site, but does OpenMW support shadows yet? These days I forego huge mod-installs of Morrowind and I've just been running a basic OpenMW game with Tamriel Rebuilt installed, plus all the "official plugins" and expansions. I've gone backwards in regards to mods. I used to love having poo poo tons of them installed. Now I like running my games as vanilla as I can tolerate.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Supposedly shadows will be in the next release.

e. I'm the same way, been running a near vanilla install for a bit now. Just a few quest mods, Lua mods, and whatever I'm working on myself.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 28, 2018

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
I don't suppose anyone has a mirror, or dropbox, or anything of the Uvirith's Legacy 3.5 mod? All the links on the official site are broken and the only other mirror I can find online is an 3.4.7 and the knowledge of a newer version means my broken brain wont let me use it!

I've tried searching the thread but couldn't see any mention of it, so thanks to anyone who can help!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Stuporstar posted:

Also, I'm working on temp download links for my mods while I figure poo poo out. Here's the one for UL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqxbej0nef7bg9e/Uviriths_Legacy_3.53.7z?dl=0

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

You're a hero! Thank you!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I started playing this for the first time on the weekend, Steam version. Played around a bit, and then modded it with only the MGSO overhaul. Besides from erasing my character's map, I notice that I don't get a stat breakdown when I hover over my character level progress any more. Vanilla it would tell me how many skills I've levelled in Strength, Intelligence, etc. In the overhauled version I only get the X/10 level progress.

Is this something easy to get back? I couldn't find anything on google but I probably didn't use the right terms.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Played around a bit, and then modded it with only the MGSO overhaul.

youre hosed

never use mgso

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Vanilla never had that stat breakdown, it’s a feature unlocked by the Code Patch

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jay Rust posted:

Vanilla never had that stat breakdown, it’s a feature unlocked by the Code Patch

Oh you're right. I guess I ran the code patcher initially when I was messing around. Updated the code patch utility and everything is working again.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the MGSO? I'm not too far in so if it's too problematic I can still go back and use something else.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It's completely depreciated for one.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Oh you're right. I guess I ran the code patcher initially when I was messing around. Updated the code patch utility and everything is working again.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the MGSO? I'm not too far in so if it's too problematic I can still go back and use something else.

Morrowind experienced a second renaissance both with mwse lua and openmw. The mgexe and mcp included are both very out of date. And those are responsible for 90% of the graphical options. The texture packs are also poo poo. It overhauls a lot of poo poo that didnt need updating.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

none of the sounds are normalized, which is especially awful with magic spells which are about 5 times louder than anything else in the game. the chatter it plays in towns is absolutely awful and obnoxious as gently caress. the textures are all mismatched, being taken from a variety of different, unrelated texture packs with different artistic visions, leading to an overall visual clusterfuck where nothing looks like it belongs in the same game.

mgso is fuckin terrible. there's no worse way to expereince morrowind than installing mgso.

just recently someone released a texture pack which was literally just the default textures from the game run through an algorithm to make them higher res. morrowind has fantastic artistic vision, so if the low res textures are why you want a graphics upgrade, just use that instead.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 1, 2019

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

As others have said, it's completely outdated and even then it's not that well put together, nor are the things it's put together with all that good. There are many, massively bloated assets that it includes that needlessly harms performance and everything that MGSO tries to do, has been done better by other, newer mods.

For a modern, near-vanilla experience that you can go on to install other things on top of, follow this:

Use Mod Organizer 2. It has support for Morrowind and it will remove the rear end ache from loving with mod installs and load orders. You can install everything through this, but I recommend installing MWSE/Lua mods manually, as I've experienced issues with them plain not working at all when installed through MO2. They're easy to install manually, though. No worries.

Next you will want to install the Morrowind Code Patch.

Then you will want to install MGEXE. Install it normally per the readme. MO2 should automatically detect this and add the executable. You will have to launch MGEXE through MO2.

MWSE 2.1+ gets installed next.

These next things are installed through Mod Organizer 2.

Unofficial Morrowind Official Plugins Patched. Bugfixed and things.

Morrowind Optimization Patch. Absolute must-have. Greatly increases performance.

Patch for Purists. The all-in-one bugfixing patch you should be using.

These next couple of mods are MWSE Lua mods.

Weapon Sheathing does exactly what the name implies.

UI Expansion enhances the UI in very nice ways.

Expeditious Exit. Makes Morrowind quit right.

Starting to stray away from a minimal mod install with this but if your dick is big you'll want to install Tamriel Rebuilt. Gargantuan landmass mod that is attempting to recreate the rest of the Morrowind province. It's a work in progress but what's there already pretty much dwarfs Vvardenfell. There's also a separate but connected sister project called Skyrim: Home of the Nords that's attempting to recreate 3rd era Skyrim as we know it from the lore. Also a work in progress but there is a ton high quality content available just like in Tamriel Rebuit. That's not all. There's also Project Cyrodiil, attempting to recreate.... Cyrodiil. Finally, there's Stros M'Kai in the 3rd Era. Never played it myself, but if you want as complete of a Tamriel as possible, get that too. I also suggest using Chargen Revamped - Expanded Lands to have ultimate control over your character during creation, and it includes spawn points for Tamriel Rebuilt, SHotN, and Project Cyrodiil, if you have those installed.

If you use Tamriel Rebuilt, also install Anthology Solstheim. It moves the island to it's more correct position north of Vvardenfell and away from the new lands added by Tamriel Rebuilt.

As far as texture mods go, I don't really use them so I can't offer a great list of suggestions, but Morrowind Enhanced Textures seems to be the current hot poo poo in the community and it would make a good base to install other things on top of.

There's a lot more I could suggest but this post is getting too long already. Have fun.

e: Oh, also, join the Morrowind Modding Community discord. It's where pretty much the entire English Morrowind modding community hangs out. It's active and super friendly. Cool people doing cool poo poo.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 1, 2019

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Upmarket Mango posted:

As others have said, it's completely outdated and even then it's not that well put together, nor are the things it's put together with all that good. There are many, massively bloated assets that it includes that needlessly harms performance and everything that MGSO tries to do, has been done better by other, newer mods.

For a modern, near-vanilla experience that you can go on to install other things on top of, follow this:

Use Mod Organizer 2. It has support for Morrowind and it will remove the rear end ache from loving with mod installs and load orders. You can install everything through this, but I recommend installing MWSE/Lua mods manually, as I've experienced issues with them plain not working at all when installed through MO2. They're easy to install manually, though. No worries.

Next you will want to install the Morrowind Code Patch.

Then you will want to install MGEXE. Install it normally per the readme. You will then have to add the MGEXE executable to Mod Organizer 2 and launch it through that in order to use it.

MWSE 2.1+ gets installed next.

These next things are installed through Mod Organizer 2.

Morrowind Official DLC. Bugfixed and things.

Morrowind Optimization Patch. Absolute must-have. Greatly increases performance.

Patch for Purists. The all-in-one bugfixing patch you should be using.

These next couple of mods are MWSE Lua mods.

Weapon Sheathing does exactly what the name implies.

UI Expansion enhances the UI in very nice ways.

Expeditious Exit. Makes Morrowind quit right.

Starting to stray away from a minimal mod install with this but if your dick is big you'll want to install Tamriel Rebuilt. Gargantuan landmass mod that is attempting to recreate the rest of the Morrowind province. It's a work in progress but what's there already pretty much dwarfs Vvardenfell. There's also a separate but connected sister project called Skyrim: Home of the Nords that's attempting to recreate 3rd era Skyrim as we know it from the lore. Also a work in progress but there is a ton high quality content available just like in Tamriel Rebuit. That's not all. There's also Project Cyrodiil, attempting to recreate.... Cyrodiil. Finally, there's Stos M'Kai in the 3rd Era. Never played it myself, but if you want as complete of a Tamriel as possible, get that too. I also suggest using Chargen Revamped - Expanded Lands to have ultimate control over your character during creation, and it includes spawn points for Tamriel Rebuilt, SHotN, and Project Cyrodiil, if you have those installed.

If you use Tamriel Rebuilt, also install Anthology Solstheim. It moves the island to it's more correct position north of Vvardenfell and away from the new lands added by Tamriel Rebuilt.

As far as texture mods go, I don't really use them so I can't offer a great list of suggestions, but Morrowind Enhanced Textures seems to be the current hot poo poo in the community and it would make a good base to install other things on top of.

There's a lot more I could suggest but this post is getting too long already. Have fun.

:psypop: and people wonder why lazy fucks prefer the one-and-done of installing mgso

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Addamere posted:

:psypop: and people wonder why lazy fucks prefer the one-and-done of installing mgso

Not counting download times, that's probably 5-10 minutes of work at most.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Note that as of the newer MO2 versions, MGEXE will be added automatically as an executable. I think wrye too.

Also does anyone have a link for the Morrowind Official DLC above? Fliggerty is on the fritz.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Note that as of the newer MO2 versions, MGEXE will be added automatically as an executable. I think wrye too.

Also does anyone have a link for the Morrowind Official DLC above? Fliggerty is on the fritz.

Whoops. Didn't realize downloads were broken. Double checking, that was the wrong one anyway.

Unofficial Morrowind Official Plugins Patched is the correct mod I meant to link originally.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My older brother started playing Skyrim. My younger brother started playing New Vegas again.

Here I am staring at a mod list for Morrowind

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nothing wrong with skyrim or new vegas

but morrowind though .... ,

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

put that very good modding summary in da OP

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Upmarket Mango posted:

Not counting download times, that's probably 5-10 minutes of work at most.

It’s 5-10 minutes if you already know what you’re doing. The cognitive load involved in switching from “press button, play game” to multiple levels of binary and asset patching is absolutely non-trivial. MGSO had problems and is hopelessly outdated by now but the idea of playing a prettier Morrowind without having to follow technical manual had appeal for a reason.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raminasi posted:

It’s 5-10 minutes if you already know what you’re doing. The cognitive load involved in switching from “press button, play game” to multiple levels of binary and asset patching is absolutely non-trivial. MGSO had problems and is hopelessly outdated by now but the idea of playing a prettier Morrowind without having to follow technical manual had appeal for a reason.

this; it's also why i've since asked insane radical questions like "does anyone have a hosted morrowind folder with all these steps already done"?

given the choice between :effort: and not guess what wins

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I dunno why people freak out about modding being such a hard thing. Install the code patch and patch for purists and boom you're good.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gobblecoque posted:

I dunno why people freak out about modding being such a hard thing. Install the code patch and patch for purists and boom you're good.

Yeah but that's barely modding. "True" modding only comes into effect when you've got a precarious Jenga-tower of various .esm and .esp modules that causes your hand to ache when you try to scroll through it.

Are you a True Modder®?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah but that's barely modding. "True" modding only comes into effect when you've got a precarious Jenga-tower of various .esm and .esp modules that causes your hand to ache when you try to scroll through it.

Are you a True Modder®?

You know you’ve modded the game properly when, after 200 hours you find an object that is a big glowing exclamation point and then dig thru all your mods to figure out what’s causing it. You fix it...but then this pattern repeats until your installation slowly devolves into crashes and troubleshooting. Then you tear it all down and uninstall. Later you reinstall promising that this time you’ll stick to bare minimal mods, just bug fixes and he like. But over time your interest wanders and you start cramming in more and more poo poo. Then the cycle repeats, for years. Endlessly. This is the Morrowind Effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I don't think books are supposed to be this big. What did I gently caress up? I only installed MGE-EX, Morrowind Code Patch and Delayed DB Attacks.