Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

It is fundamentally a roguelike with dying repeatedly, so if you're not into that, maybe no. I really like it. Here's an in-depth review by goon Too Shy Guy: https://goldplatedgames.com/2018/12/11/review-everspace/ and here's an archived stream of him playing it for the first time to check out the start. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYkgisH6x3M

Something else about this game that might help make it worth it for some: it has VR and HOTAS support now. I've never played it but from gameplay vids it seems the VR support is solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Another Fantasy General code:
PTMEE3ADB6***45EH0

You have 717 guesses to figure out what the asterisks stand for.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Myron posted:

Another Fantasy General code:
PTMEE3ADB6***45EH0

You have 717 guesses to figure out what the asterisks stand for.

Thanks for this! Looking forward to giving this a try!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is Heroes of Might & Magic 3 a good buy if I enjoyed the old original King's Bounty game?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is Heroes of Might & Magic 3 a good buy if I enjoyed the old original King's Bounty game?

HoMM 3 is awesome...however Steam has the new remastered edition with widescreen support. I haven’t played that version but it might now be the definitive version of that game. But yea, if you like Kings Bounty you’ll like HoMM3.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

chaosapiant posted:

HoMM 3 is awesome...however Steam has the new remastered edition with widescreen support. I haven’t played that version but it might now be the definitive version of that game. But yea, if you like Kings Bounty you’ll like HoMM3.

You're losing out on the expansions and mod support, though.

Oh, look at that, a mod that does the exact same thing. https://sites.google.com/site/heroes3hd/

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

THE BAR posted:

Oh, look at that, a mod that does the exact same thing. https://sites.google.com/site/heroes3hd/
HOMM3 expansions are very good, too. Love that Elemental Conflux.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

THE BAR posted:

Not interested in mods, but I didn't realize the remaster lost all the expansions. That's dumb! In that case yes, HoMM3 on GOG is good poo poo go get it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I never understood the hook and appeal of homm.

Get better units? Build stuff? Like civ 2 was 'throne room and nuke people', morrowind is 'levitate and punch a god to death'

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Get better units? Build stuff? Like civ 2 was 'throne room and nuke people', morrowind is 'levitate and punch a god to death'

HoMM has a solid mix of every turn being interesting because you're always just one turn away from grabbing a new resource, or building a new unit, or finding treasure. It's got a different rhythm to it than Civilization. Also the campaigns are long and have a lot of value and variety.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Not interested in mods, but I didn't realize the remaster lost all the expansions. That's dumb! In that case yes, HoMM3 on GOG is good poo poo go get it.

It's really only Armageddon's Blade that adds new things, but it's pretty substantial. The Shadow of Death is just more maps and campaigns.

chaosapiant posted:

HoMM has a solid mix of every turn being interesting because you're always just one turn away from grabbing a new resource, or building a new unit, or finding treasure. It's got a different rhythm to it than Civilization. Also the campaigns are long and have a lot of value and variety.

Battles also take place on something reminiscent of that monster chess game they play on the Millenium Falcon. But with actual rules, I guess. The Heroes series is also the king of hotseat couch strategy gaming, with the other players' turns not taking too long.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 26, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

THE BAR posted:

It's really only Armageddon's Blade that adds new things, but it's pretty substantial. The Shadow of Death is just more maps and campaigns.

That may be true, but if you're gonna sell me a new edition of a game 15-20 years after release, it could at least have all the drat content that I probably already owned elsewhere. I actually eye-balled the remaster the other day and thought about buying it. Glad I didn't, since I already have the entire series on GOG.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

chaosapiant posted:

I agree that GOG is the better value, but I believe that the devs wanted to remaster the expansions but the source code has been lost. Genuinely sad, but I can accept unfortunate circumstances much more easily than incompetence, indifference or greed, all of which have hosed gamers over hard over the years.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I played HoMM3 so much that while I have the entire series on GOG, I never bothered to install and try the others. I suppose I should one day, but I've got several hundred games in my backlog as it is.

If you're playing HoMM3 you may take a look at VCMI, which is a replacement engine project for it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

That may be true, but if you're gonna sell me a new edition of a game 15-20 years after release, it could at least have all the drat content that I probably already owned elsewhere. I actually eye-balled the remaster the other day and thought about buying it. Glad I didn't, since I already have the entire series on GOG.

Oh yes, I completely agree that the remaster isn't worth it. As Jeff said, it's a drat shame.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My favourite "HoMM" game is Hammer of the Gods. Similar game and engine (same developers), but transplanted to a Norse setting where you have mission trees per race, fulfilling quests for the gods. I think there was more Civ-aspects to it as well. Real underrated/overlooked gem.

Gameplay sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G_hqBWllPs

Had high-res (640x480) support and great CD music too.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i first bought HOMM3 on a CD years ago in compUSA

its one of the best computer games of all time imho and i think i may play it rn

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Holy smokes, SOMA is currently available for free. That's pretty dope, having never played it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
free is good 99% of the time

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Has anyone played Aven Colony? I´ve been in a colony building game mood for a while and this one flew under my radar. Is it worth a look?

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Yes. Its mixed rating is very much deserved but it will scratch that itch. And at $7 its worth a shot.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

doctorfrog posted:

Fantasy General: PTM***18F1011E43HJ

the thrice repeated asterisks are the initials of the electronic frontier foundation

I got this, thank you!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I've bounced off it a few times, I don't really get it. Didn't like the Kings Bounty remake either

I like Age of Wonders though which is kind of similar but with more tactical combat (3 especially) and *slightly* deeper strategic elements :shrug: even at that i install once a year, play a map or two and have had my fill. I dunno

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I got deeply into Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic (basically an expansion of 2) ... it became my "modern" Master of Magic replacement with some great fan patches and mods (1.4 & DWIGGS). I think a lot of people missed that it had a random scenario generator which let you play MoM/Civ-style and you could ignore the campaign. Ran on my ancient rear end laptop perfectly too.

For some reason I just haven't been able to get into 3 as deeply, though it also has the random scenario generator. I think part is that the map, while prettier, is harder to understand at a glance. The graphics in 2 were very sharp and clear.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I think that Everspace genuinely looks interesting. It reminds me of Tachyon, which anyone who even slightly enjoys space slight and combat games should try. Bruce Campbell is gold in it.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
HoMM3 is still big in Europe. Like Highschool kiddos still playing it big.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Buller posted:

HoMM3 is still big in Europe. Like Highschool kiddos still playing it big.

In Eastern Europe maybe, if you see a HoMM III stream it'll 99% of the time be in Russian or Polish. In fact the official channel for NVidia Poland is currently streaming a HoMM III e-sports match with commentators and everything on Twitch. Seems to be a showmatch in preparation for the 2019 Polish HoMM III Championships.

Good taste in old games, those folk.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kanfy posted:

...2019 Polish HoMM III Championships...

This is the best thing I've read all day.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

E V E R S P A C E isn't really my type of game so if anyone wants it for free*:
UDPB987xDE944F5FDx

*replace the lower case xs wih upper case As.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Holy smokes, SOMA is currently available for free. That's pretty dope, having never played it.
Having played it, it's probably my favourite horror game ever. Not only are the atmosphere and play top notch, the story is way better than any of Frictional's other games.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Kanfy posted:

In Eastern Europe maybe, if you see a HoMM III stream it'll 99% of the time be in Russian or Polish. In fact the official channel for NVidia Poland is currently streaming a HoMM III e-sports match with commentators and everything on Twitch. Seems to be a showmatch in preparation for the 2019 Polish HoMM III Championships.

Good taste in old games, those folk.

It's not just the Heroes series. Everything Might and Magic, from King's Bounty (old and new), to the main RPG series and Heroes... All notable mods for any of these have been made by Eastern Europeans. Heck, even every freeware version of Arcomage has been made by these guys, as far as I can tell. They really love them some Might and Magic.

I assume that any Crusaders/Warriors/Legends of Might and Magic mods would've been graced by their touch by now, too, if any exists.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Reminds me that I've been playing through Gothic 1 and the Russian-made mod that fixes the resolution alongside all kinds of other tweaks and fixes has been a real lifesaver.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
GOG have also been sneakily updating their connect games list every once in a while during the last days.
Sneakily as in I didn't know about it and just found it by accident, while randomly accessing the https://www.gog.com/connect url.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

AbstractNapper posted:

GOG have also been sneakily updating their connect games list every once in a while during the last days.
Sneakily as in I didn't know about it and just found it by accident, while randomly accessing the https://www.gog.com/connect url.

Yay I even got one new game for the first time since, well, GOG Connect's launch month I think. Dustforce DX. Didn't even know I had it on Steam; must have been part of one of the Humble Bundles.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Cat Mattress posted:

Yay I even got one new game for the first time since, well, GOG Connect's launch month I think. Dustforce DX. Didn't even know I had it on Steam; must have been part of one of the Humble Bundles.

I think that mine, because I'm a little confused, told me that I couldn't bring over base Panzer Corps or Order of Battle as I already own them on Steam and GOG, but none of the DLC is eligible. Kind of a shame.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If Everspace supports HOTAS now, I assume it'll work with a budget Logitech stick. Anyone have any opinions on how well it flies with a non-HOTAS stick?

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Its not a flight sim. Plays like an fps... in space.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LewdMonocle posted:

Its not a flight sim. Plays like an fps... in space.

That’s not really accurate, but it does have that Freelancer “strafe around to avoid incoming fire” gameplay to it. Lots of fun.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cat Mattress posted:

It’s got a lovely soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Panzer Corps has an 88% sale in my region.