Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Weird answer, but Factorio might scratch your itch? Especially with mods.

Any mods in particular with that wall-building aspect? I'm basically searching for the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Yar The Pirate posted:

Any mods in particular with that wall-building aspect? I'm basically searching for the same thing.

vanilla Death World settings, plus Bob's Warfare

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

ninjewtsu posted:

are there any good single player rts games with a heavy emphasis on base building? They Are Billions was cool and made realize that if i'm playing strategy games single player, it's mostly because i want to build a really big wall and watch hordes of dudes try to break past it, but i have a hard time sticking with that game for other reasons. are there any alternatives?

Oxygen Not Included while still in Early Access is in late EA and is really really good. Although no combat, so if you want combat gotta keep looking. Northgard is good with combat, in the style of Age of Empires.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

ninjewtsu posted:

are there any good single player rts games with a heavy emphasis on base building? They Are Billions was cool and made realize that if i'm playing strategy games single player, it's mostly because i want to build a really big wall and watch hordes of dudes try to break past it, but i have a hard time sticking with that game for other reasons. are there any alternatives?

This is a bit off the wall, but Creeper World 3? You build different turrets and some other mostly stationary units, but there's also a unit that lets you rise the elevation of the terrain. That unit can build walls and other formations. Also, the opponent isn't a horde of dudes, but instead a grey goo type of mass, which flows from emitters and tries to engulf your position. It does have this feeling of being besieged by the ever advancing goo, and having to build more and more stuff to try and stem the tide.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm in the mood for an oldschool CRPG, something like what Spiderweb Software puts out except I've already played their stuff. In particular, I'd like something with snappy movement, limited/fast animation, basically competent writing, and decent character/combat depth. Who all else is in this space that I should be checking out?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm in the mood for an oldschool CRPG, something like what Spiderweb Software puts out except I've already played their stuff. In particular, I'd like something with snappy movement, limited/fast animation, basically competent writing, and decent character/combat depth. Who all else is in this space that I should be checking out?

Kenshi is a bit of a sideways rec, but it's got almost everything you're asking for.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Kenshi is a bit of a sideways rec, but it's got almost everything you're asking for.

I guess I should've clarified that by "CRPG" I meant "turn-based, party-based, possibly grid-based". I guess "squad" is similar to "party" but a squad feels more disposable to me, plus Kenshi seems to be about building up your own faction more than going out and doing quests for existing factions.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I guess I should've clarified that by "CRPG" I meant "turn-based, party-based, possibly grid-based". I guess "squad" is similar to "party" but a squad feels more disposable to me, plus Kenshi seems to be about building up your own faction more than going out and doing quests for existing factions.

On the one hand yeah, and it isn't turn-based or grid-based, but on the other hand because it has no quests in it, you make your own goals. I'm currently taking my five-man band of dudes on a quest to the northeast to see what's there, and hopefully not starve in the process. So far we've found a region with acid rain, been attacked by black-clad ninjas and left for dead, spotted a giant mechanical spider robot that was hostile (avoid!) and accidentally freaked out a farmhouse of sleeping religious farmers by picking open the door at midnight. They all ran screaming into the night that we were going to kill them. I just took some cooked veggies and left.

...ahem.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it's worth a look! And if it still isn't what you want, that's cool. Uhh...

Any of these sound unfamiliar?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Turn-based is kind of hard to find these days unfortunately. Have you played the Shadowrun games? I've heard the first one is "meh" but that Dragonfall and Hong Kong are both very good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Turn-based is kind of hard to find these days unfortunately. Have you played the Shadowrun games? I've heard the first one is "meh" but that Dragonfall and Hong Kong are both very good.

Oh, good call. I have the latter two just chilling in my library already. :doh:

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thanks, worth checking out some though I've heard of most of 'em. Hm...does Icewind Dale hold up? Is it runnable on modern OSes?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's Nethergate like?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oh, good call. I have the latter two just chilling in my library already. :doh:

Thanks, worth checking out some though I've heard of most of 'em. Hm...does Icewind Dale hold up? Is it runnable on modern OSes?

How much do you like Infinity Engine combat? There's not much else to Icewind Dale.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Phlegmish posted:

What's Nethergate like?

It's a Spiderweb Software game, like Avernum and Geneforge. Takes place in ancient Britain during the Roman invasion/occupation, with the difference that magic is indeed real and there are goblins and stuff. It's a pretty cool setting. Worth a go if you like other Spiderweb games.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I have it in my craw to play a racing game that does not take place on a traditional racetrack. So no NASCAR/F1/Indy racers. If someone could point to the good version of Wipeout XL, but made this decade I'd appreciate it. Most of the non-sim car games I've seen are just endless runners with a e s t h e t i c sprites.

Also anyone with any car combat games that don't have totally dead multiplayer. Any opinions on Wreckfest?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Easy Diff posted:

I have it in my craw to play a racing game that does not take place on a traditional racetrack. So no NASCAR/F1/Indy racers. If someone could point to the good version of Wipeout XL, but made this decade I'd appreciate it. Most of the non-sim car games I've seen are just endless runners with
code:
a e s t h e t i c
sprites.

Also anyone with any car combat games that don't have totally dead multiplayer. Any opinions on Wreckfest?

Have you checked out BeamNG.Drive?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Isn't that the "vehicular soft-body simulator"? It's not really a racing game as such.

There's of course always Mario Kart if you own the appropriate system. F-Zero GX is a Gamecube game (and thus too old per your criteria) but still holds up very well.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

That looks a little too simmy for me. Also EA, which I try not to do on principle. Honestly I just want F-Zero X or WipeOut XL, and barring that, Twisted Metal 2/3.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Isn't that the "vehicular soft-body simulator"? It's not really a racing game as such.

It and Burnout Paradise are the only racing games I like because they have amazing crashes :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
There's Redout, Graviator, and one game that's even more of a blatant Wipeout with the serials scratched off that might be freeware? I kinda wish I could get a PC game based on Wipeout Fusion, which had challenge sets specific to each company which I thought was really cool (even if some of the challenges were infuriatingly tough).

If you don't need the vehicles to have that Wipeout-aesthetic then Sonic Racing Transformed is very good.

e: that "freeware more blatant clone" is BallisticNG and not actually freeware, whoops

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Of Redout, Graviator and Ballistic, which is the best?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Can't help, sorry. I've only played some Redout which seems cool but haven't played it enough to really give a concrete opinion on it. Haven't been in a racing game mood in a while sadly.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Easy Diff posted:

I have it in my craw to play a racing game that does not take place on a traditional racetrack. So no NASCAR/F1/Indy racers. If someone could point to the good version of Wipeout XL, but made this decade I'd appreciate it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/473770/BallisticNG/

e: Oh it was mentioned. Yeah Ballistic is probably what you want. It's very very true to Wipeout, the tracks are quite well designed, the mod support is great and often funny.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Looking for a game that has house decorating but isn't The Sims.

My wife loves games that involve decorating/renovating houses. When we play FFXIV, she enjoys decorating the house. Getting new houses/furniture was her favorite part of Animal Crossing. She spent drat near 40 hours playing House Flipper because it just let her decorate the houses.

She hates The Sims because she doesn't want to have to actually deal with the Sims. She just wants to play with houses.

Any recommendations?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Not a game so much as a tool, but she should check out Room Arranger.

It's a utility designed to plan interior designs down to very fine details and is pretty easy to use. I had a lot of fun with it when we were trying to plan furniture and stuff for our small apartment. You can even upload your own photos into the program to use as skins for objects, and there is a 3d render option to walk around the interior.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
House Flipper is the only one I can think of, there really aren't many in this genre that I can think of

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Not a game so much as a tool, but she should check out Room Arranger.

It's a utility designed to plan interior designs down to very fine details and is pretty easy to use. I had a lot of fun with it when we were trying to plan furniture and stuff for our small apartment. You can even upload your own photos into the program to use as skins for objects, and there is a 3d render option to walk around the interior.

Amazing for shadowrun battlemaps.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Nalesh posted:

House Flipper is the only one I can think of, there really aren't many in this genre that I can think of

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's squeezed every ounce she can out of that game.

It's a shame. There should be more games like this.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Like only other things I can think of would be shifting to build things in stuff like minecraft, terraria, stonehearth, cities skylines, etc. But she sounds like she enjoys micromanagement rather than the macromanagement.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Nalesh posted:

Like only other things I can think of would be shifting to build things in stuff like minecraft, terraria, stonehearth, cities skylines, etc. But she sounds like she enjoys micromanagement rather than the macromanagement.

Yeah. She is a big fan of things where you can decorate a house mainly.

Her other favorite game of all time is Cook Serve Delicious.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Mordiceius posted:

Looking for a game that has house decorating but isn't The Sims.

My wife loves games that involve decorating/renovating houses. When we play FFXIV, she enjoys decorating the house. Getting new houses/furniture was her favorite part of Animal Crossing. She spent drat near 40 hours playing House Flipper because it just let her decorate the houses.

She hates The Sims because she doesn't want to have to actually deal with the Sims. She just wants to play with houses.

Any recommendations?

Doesn't Animal Crossing have a spin off that's literally this?

Fake Edit: Yup

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Actually just thought of one, fallout 4's settlements

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I get not being interested in the sims part of The Sims but what's the problem with just flipping on a bunch of cheats, ignoring everything else, and just playing with the construction/decoration stuff?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

I get not being interested in the sims part of The Sims but what's the problem with just flipping on a bunch of cheats, ignoring everything else, and just playing with the construction/decoration stuff?

She likes having goals to work toward. The Sims is too aimless since she doesn’t care about the characters.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Doesn't Animal Crossing have a spin off that's literally this?

Fake Edit: Yup

Yeah. She had played that one too.

What this is just showing me is that there aren’t enough games out there of this type.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

What this is just showing me is that there aren’t enough games out there of this type.

Possibly because it's an incredibly boring niche that is hard to build an entire game around.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Possibly because it's an incredibly boring niche that is hard to build an entire game around.

thanks for the useless, weirdly hostile reply?

i'm interested in this genre too; i used to just use the sims and cheat as suggested so i could do building/decorating, but i'd love something a bit more comprehensive and involved

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'm sorry, but they are right. I can't imagine an interesting game around room decorating. Your wife is of course entitled to like what she likes but really it's not a very interesting subject to simulate.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

It's almost like... different people might have... hold on, am I reading this right?... different interests?!?!

No, no, this can't be right...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

kedo posted:

It's almost like... different people might have... hold on, am I reading this right?... different interests?!?!

No, no, this can't be right...

Having interests and expecting a full game based on them are completely different?

Here is a website for the OP
http://www.animal-crossing.com/happy-home-designer/?fbclid=IwAR1DM7WMNEcgcSO3OMKzUSS2sZSB6UhHOjlRQKwqH3BXJ2BMldqv00OcHP0

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Having interests and expecting a full game based on them are completely different?

Here is a website for the OP
http://www.animal-crossing.com/happy-home-designer/?fbclid=IwAR1DM7WMNEcgcSO3OMKzUSS2sZSB6UhHOjlRQKwqH3BXJ2BMldqv00OcHP0

except there have been a handful of games based around them; the lament is that there aren't more

but feel free to keep being super condescending toward things other people enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I could see it being fun as an in-depth deduction game with a social sim aspect. "Given these clues you've discovered about the person's character and interests, design this room based on provided guidelines and essentials of decorating"