Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
If you're ok with a very abstract definition of roguelike, all 3 Michael Brough games on iOS (868-Hack, Imbroglio, and Cinco Paus) are very very good. Imbroglio is my favorite and will never leave my phone

edit: I wrote a quick description of it back here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

FuzzySlippers posted:

dungeoncrawl stuff

I'm going to go ahead and throw my vote at "no square dancing, please," and beyond that I could go for anything.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Osmosisch posted:

Not at all. I found the latter extremely frustrating with how little impact many of your turns have because you're so reliant on the cards that get flipped.

Fair enough! But i imagine in general most people who like one adventure card-based roguelite with light deck building elements will probably be into other extremely well reviewed games in the genre.

E: tho yea big game play difference in that in card quest you almost always do a ton each turn given that the game is all about never getting hit, while in solitairica occasionally you get bad turns depending on what powers you have/in general turns are shorter.

tildes fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 28, 2018

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Holy balls, Tangledeep reached Silver in the Top Early Access Graduates of 2018, congrats to the goons involved. (zirconmusic and ToxicFrog right?)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Talking about Tangledeep: What are some good monsters to collect?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

genericnick posted:

Talking about Tangledeep: What are some good monsters to collect?

Ranged units will generally last longer, since I found the reduction to healing potency makes it a difficult to keep melee monsters alive, even if they start out tanky. to that end, my most used monster was a guardian steward (the mossy green plates in the fungal caves). It has ranged attacks and a skill that can paralyze enemies, which makes it useful in a wide variety of situations. Probably the single best unit to capture would be a bandit sniper, but if you can reach that point in the game you're pretty close to done anyway

Keep in mind that the health and power scaling per level is quite dramatic for pets, meaning that an early pet that's leveled up a few times will probably vastly outscale monsters you find later in the game. my guardian steward pet had 1.5k health by the time I finished the game, and it was dishing out 300-500 damage per hit.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there some trick to capturing those? When I tried it wouldn't let me target it despite having only 10% health.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Xik posted:

Holy balls, Tangledeep reached Silver in the Top Early Access Graduates of 2018, congrats to the goons involved. (zirconmusic and ToxicFrog right?)

zircon and madjack and the qud guys isnt it?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Xik posted:

Hah! I loving wish I'd made something as good as Tangledeep, none of my roguelike projects have ever made it out of the prototype stage. IIRC it's zirconmusic with help from madjackmcmad, unormal, and hand of luke.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

genericnick posted:

Is there some trick to capturing those? When I tried it wouldn't let me target it despite having only 10% health.

not sure. the one i caught was through a wild untamed monster pack rumor, so maybe that's the only time it's possible to catch them

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

not sure. the one i caught was through a wild untamed monster pack rumor, so maybe that's the only time it's possible to catch them

Worked for me this time for some reason.
Also does anyone know if the block and parry mechnics interact at all? First parry check then block check?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

fart simpson posted:

Are there any good iOS rogue likes these days

e: other than pixel dungeon, I’ve already played that a lot

I've been playing Siralim 3 on my phone a lot. Only really meets a few of the criteria for roguelike, but I think it should be on this thread's radar. It's like a pokemon/dungeon crawler hybrid that allows for some pretty absurd combos and character interactions. Scratches a similar itch to something like getting a really powerful combo online in slay the spire, or the right combo of items in BoI.

For example, my team right now has a guy that buffs your whole team with 25% of any buff one of your team receives from an external source. I've combined this with a guy that, instead of taking a normal turn, instead buffs each of your teammates with 30% of its current speed stat. That means each creature is buffed in turn, then each OTHER member of the team gets 25% of that buff, repeated for all 5 other teammates. That's like 30 speed buffs per turn with just those two guys. I also have a guy holding an artifact that buffs a random teammate's intelligence+attack whenever attacking, with similar results. and another of my teammates steals speed stat from enemies when it deals damage (which is the same kinda buff), and another guy that makes basic attacks scale partially off my now insanely-buffed speed stat. And I'm still in what's basically the extended tutorial.

There's like 700 monsters and each of them has a unique trait that can be abused like those.

This LP of siralim 2 gives a pretty good summary of the mechanics. 3 seems nearly identical in terms of gameplay, at least for the first few hours that I've played

It also has an internal cloud upload/download service so you can use your same save on your phone and computer. No online requirements besides the cloud saving if you want to use that.

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 29, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Which is probably easier to get into between Caves of Qud and Cogmind? Dig the aesthetic and idea of the latter but I gather the former is rather more legendary from the Steam thread, so still trying to pick one

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ciaphas posted:

Which is probably easier to get into between Caves of Qud and Cogmind? Dig the aesthetic and idea of the latter but I gather the former is rather more legendary from the Steam thread, so still trying to pick one

Cogmind has a better tutorial / get up and go character creator. Here's your robot core, what kind of legs/wheels/treads do you want, go go go and build yourself as you ascend.

Caves of Qud meanwhile goes full hog "do you want: wings / laser eyes / a carapace / HORNS / clones / night vision / photosynthesis / 80+ choices" and then you have to distribute stats and aaaaa

I mean i love it but the character creator is full hog

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

From a pure accessibility standpoint, I gotta go with Cogmind. I love both games though, and would recommend Qud as a better overall game, tbh. It's just so huge.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

StrixNebulosa posted:

Cogmind has a better tutorial / get up and go character creator. Here's your robot core, what kind of legs/wheels/treads do you want, go go go and build yourself as you ascend.

Caves of Qud meanwhile goes full hog "do you want: wings / laser eyes / a carapace / HORNS / clones / night vision / photosynthesis / 80+ choices" and then you have to distribute stats and aaaaa

I mean i love it but the character creator is full hog

entering a world where the only thing that exists is tasting my psychically glimmering hog

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

From what I've heard of Cogmind, Qud is somewhat easier to survive by dint of not having to be entirely reliant on enemy drops for your build if nothing else.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I think what I like best about this choice is that you cannot go wrong. Qud and Cogmind are both top-tier roguelikes, goon-made, and accessible. You will have a billion happy hours with either one, so flip a coin and go.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gotta be Cogmind, then. I always find making big decisions at chargen right at the start rather daunting, Cogmind sounds more (literally :v:) build as you go with what you got.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's one way to look at it. Another is that you can have loads of fun in Qud before you make it into the game proper.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

entering a world where the only thing that exists is tasting my psychically glimmering hog

I think I just broke my > key

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I found Qud much more accessible than the numbers spam of Cogmind.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Also, while Cogmind is extremely pretty it also doesn't scale down to small screens well; it's basically illegible on my laptop because there's no way of increasing the font size.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That is an overwhelming amount of chargen options though, goddamn. (I ended up just buying both. I suck, lol.)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

That is an overwhelming amount of chargen options though, goddamn. (I ended up just buying both. I suck, lol.)

Good work

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

:cheers:

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, while Cogmind is extremely pretty it also doesn't scale down to small screens well; it's basically illegible on my laptop because there's no way of increasing the font size.

And here's Cogmind's biggest flaw. :sigh:

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The font size issue was definitely looked into during development but it was basically impossible to change. I forget the exact reasoning but it would've required starting over completely. I remember talking to the dev about it and it was not something that he took lightly, I just forget the details.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

On the other hand, at least complicated chargen would give me a set "ideal" if I got through it. Cogmind lets me right in but damned if I have any consistent idea what I want to put together :v:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I find cogmind impossibly difficult. A lot of it is that I've just never sat down with a week and the determination to git gud, but regardless I am pretty good at qud and find it much less frustrating so that would be my recommendation.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I find Cogmind frustrating since any time you get close to a "build" you run into a swarm of tiny unhittable assholes and all your cool poo poo breaks

I mean, that's the game, but it's still frustrating

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone have a CoQ starter/chargen guide they'd recommend? I get scared off rather than jump in

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone have a CoQ starter/chargen guide they'd recommend? I get scared off rather than jump in

Take carapace and focus on axes and go ask in the qud thread for the current best version of the axe turtle :)

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Make a mutant warden or marauder with lots of strength and hit points, take carapace and freezing hands and alternate pumping them every level. Pop freezing hands as an opening move and then beat your enemies to death. Freezing hands only has a 10 round cooldown so tough enemies may survive to get blasted twice. That will get you though the early game as long as you don't bite off more than you can chew.

Edit: harvestry is a good tree to go down relatively early because witchwood bark is such an absurdly good healing item and you'll have more than you can carry, literally, with the appropriate skill.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 30, 2018

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've been enjoying Into the Breach on the Switch but tbh I wish I could turn off the roguelike elements. I really want to see what a fully powered up squad looks like but I feel like that's not really possible on one run unless you're both lucky and godlike.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The default squad on ITB scales very well into lategame. You can't max literally everything, but I think it's easy enough to get every action hit for 3+ dmg before knockbacks. That's pretty meaty!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

here's something I came up with quickly for a friend who'd never played trad rls before and had never made it past like level 2

quote:

use build code BGMQOKEKBIDNDX get acrobatics > spry then long blade (leave defensive stance on forever) and later improved defensive stance. use your first levelup on freezing hands and always prioritize leveling freezing hands. you can either level teleportation or just buy new mutations, not worth leveling mental mirror. freezing hands will let you permafreeze things eventually and if you're ever dropping low in hp just teleport to stairs and run away. do the red rock quest or the rust wells first, i prefer red rock cuz there are tons of enemies on the top level of rust wells and theyre annoying, then do the other, then you can work on reaching grit gate if youre not dead. Put your levelup points into agility. fight enemies in hallways (this is good practice in general and will let you hit all of them at once with freezing hands, which is a line attakc) and teleport out below 50% hp. sage roguelike wisdom, "if it can bring you under 50%, it can kill you"

I figured the nomad's 3,0 starting armor was better than carapace for the super early game but you can drop mental mirror and take amphibious to get carapace + thick fur for an easier early mid > mid game or for whatever 4 or 5 pointer if you want. If you don't pick up a mental mut you can also drop the ego points for more Agi/Toughness. 18 toughness is the usual baseline for a lot of builds but more hp/dv makes it harder to die.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
he ignored me, got max toughness on a true kin and is quote "exploring a cave" which is honestly the optimal qud experience

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the most important thing in qud is to get lost as hell

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the actual most important thing in qud is to repeatedly peek chaingun turrets trying to find good enough RNG to kill them until what you eventually actually find is bad enough RNG to get turbomurdered in a hail of bullets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
THAT'S BULLSHIT DUDE HOW COULD I BE EXPECTED TO KNOW THAT WOULD KILL ME

-me, after dying in that exact same way for the 16th time